The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Another new Downer

Yesterday, at 2:07 pm, Rikae gave birth to our lovely daughter Annika. She weighed 10 pounds 12 ounces and she and her mother are fine. More infos and probably pictures will follow soon!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Hey, congratulations!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Congratulations!

WOW! that's a HUGE baby! Shoulda called her OUCH!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Silmaril

I guess I can aww and congratulate here too even though I already did it on Livejournal? So awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww once again and lots of congrats to you darlings. I'm so happy for you.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Congratulations!!!!

Since I checked this before LJ

Sorry my gender prediction function was on the blink but I hope Rikae will forgive me.... girls are great But yes that is definitely in the Ouch category... is it my imagination or is there a tendency for Downers to produce bonny babies?

I seem to remember HI's lad being a good size as well as Lal and Dave's.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Congratulations to you all!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That's wonderful! Congratulations!!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Oh My!!!

That is just incredibly great... and sweet!

Your lives just changed for the rest of it guys, for better, no: for the best!!! Trust me, I know what I'm saying!

Just wait and see; and before you notice it she will be eighteen and having a BD-romance!

Congrats and a bunch of virtual flowers to all the three of you! Enjoy your new life that will never ever going to be the same it was before!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Oh My!!!

That is just incredibly great... and sweet!

Your lives just changed for the rest of it guys, for better, no: for the best!!! Trust me, I know what I'm saying!

Um since this completes a quartet of daughters, I think they probably know as well as you, Nogrod, if not twice as well

Old 12-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Awwwwww!

*rushes to LJ to check for more info*
Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Hurrrrraaaahhhh!

I've been waiting to hear some news!!!

Yeah, it must be something about the strength we build up from lugging round heavy copies of LotR which gives us the strength to carry around bumper sized babies, heh. A work colleague brought in his new born daughter today and I was marvelling at the sight of a 'normal sized' baby because I didn't have one

Time to start a Barrow-Downs creche now, then?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ooooh, that is so great to hear May I join the congratulations? That is really so lovely There is now this little one to whom you can introduce the world*... Congratulations to you both. And really waiting for more to hear (or see ).

*and LotR, of course...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Extra congratulations! It is amazing how, erm, productive we all are. I hope everything goes smoothly over the next few days (and months and years!). Enjoy it.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles start a daycare

I think I've come up with a new business opportunity: Downer DayCare. Of course...the drive would be quite a hassle for the parents I imagine.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Excessive amounts of cake and petrol to you! Both of which are, I'm told, well sought after in this day and age.

May your child grow up knowing that her parents were among the finest geeks to walk the internet. And may she not be ashamed.

Many happy returns... wait... Is that the kind of thing you're supposed to say?... um... Better think of something better quick... um... um...

BEST WISHES!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:48 AM   #16
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Congratulations to you both for your little daughter !

May the Stars shine on her path through life!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:52 AM   #17
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Awesome to hear that! Congratulations to you both!

I have tried to find out what happened in Arda or on Earth (related to Tolkien) on December 15, but I could not find anything.

Still, I thought about what her name would be in Sindarin.

Annika would be a Scandinavian form of the Hebraic Anna, the "Gifted", which translated would be more or less Antael.

But, the name may also come from Greek nike as in victory, and with the prefix would mean so much as "Unconquerable". Translated it would Alorthora or something similar.

Whatever it is, both would be nice names!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #18
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
How did I not spot this on LJ. . . In my defence I was very tired, after all that exam writing when I checked LJ last night.

Congratulation to all 3 of you.

Tillykke med spædbarnet!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Congratulations to the two of you and your growing family! Best wishes for the adventurous life that lies ahead of you.

I can see it now - in 15 years or so, it will be:
Quote:
THE BARROW-DOWNS: The Next Generation
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #20
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril

That's fantastic, congratulations! Best wishes!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #21
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
That's just wonderful - congratulations to all three of you! I'm itching to see pictures, I'm sure she's lovely.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Congratulations! Hope all are well and sleeping when possible. Enjoy!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #23
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Congrats, congrats, many congrats, from a little girl who is not much older than your daughter.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #24
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Congratulations!
Another new Downer indeed!
Old 12-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #25
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
A girl-child, born on the 15th of December...you could not ask for better, I promise you...ahem....*modest cough*...I am most honoured to share her birth-date...

Seriously though. That's fantastic news. Well done to all concerned and have a lovely and as-restful-as-possible Christmas.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #26
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
A girl-child, born on the 15th of December...you could not ask for better, I promise you...ahem....*modest cough*...I am most honoured to share her birth-date...
Ooh, now I just realised she's born on my deathday... wonderful. (Btw, belated congrats for the birthday, Lalaith. )

*adds a little more picture-sharing pressure on Mac&Rikae*
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #27
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Did anyone say 'pictures'?

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Annika would be a Scandinavian form of the Hebraic Anna, the "Gifted", which translated would be more or less Antael.
The version of Anna is the right one (although I thought it was a Slavic one).

Sounds nice. Thanks for the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Belated congrats to you. Another Downer birthday revealed to the public.

I'm sure she feels honoured, too.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #28
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oooo, and pictures now too! *goes to look*

Belated congratulations to you both, or rather the three of you. Best wishes, and I hope you enjoy what I'm sure will be a very eventful Christmas! How long until she starts playing Werewolf?

~~Sally~~
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #29
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Will you all be getting a big people carrier and a new bathroom for Christmas then?

Our neighbour has four daughters (ranging in age from 19 down to 2) and she has to fight to get into her bathroom.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #30
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
So sweet! Congratulations as you start an entirely new life. I can imagine her swaddled in a laundry hamper under the Christmas tree as the best present of the year.

But to be honest, I'm waiting to see the first announcement of a Downer grandchild. I don't think we've had one of those yet. I'm told being a grandparent is much more fun than being a parent and I'm waiting for confirmation.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #31
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, I'm sure that will come soon, Bêthberry... only a matter of time. Not so hasty, hroom rooom!
Old 12-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
But to be honest, I'm waiting to see the first announcement of a Downer grandchild. I don't think we've had one of those yet. I'm told being a grandparent is much more fun than being a parent and I'm waiting for confirmation.
If you are clever you can go straight to grandchildren - my aunt managed that thanks to step children

Old 12-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #33
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thank you all for your congratulations!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #34
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Heavens, how did I miss this good news! Very best wishes to you all!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote