The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2004, 06:44 PM   #81
Orophin
Animated Skeleton

Orophin has just left Hobbiton.
its cool with me

Its cool with me as long as they have all of the characters that are oalso in the lord of the rings return and it follows the book.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:47 PM   #82
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Maybe not all of the characters, Legolas maybe, but not all of them. Someone made a hobbit trailer. Search for. It's real good, made by a fan.

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:39 AM   #83
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I think someone else should do The Hobbit... It is a very different book and I would like to see what another talented director did with it. But I would love if Ian played Gandalf. He's so perfect for that role.
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #84
Marared

I dont think anyone but PJ should make The Hobbit. He's the only person I would trust.

Its been a while since I read The Hobbit, but arent the elves alot different than in LOTR? If I remember correctly the elves are mischievous and merry-making as opposed to wise and regal-like. How do you think the elves should be portrayed?
Old 04-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #85
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
But I would love if Ian played Gandalf. He's so perfect for that role.
It'd be interesting to see them do the Hobbit without Ian, since he's already Gandalf 'later on'. Not like stuff of that sort hasn't been done before, but I really think it'd be bad if Ian couldn't be in the movie (I'm sure Jackson would want him).

Orophin : I think we'd be lucky if we even got half of the dwarves in. I'm sure they'll leave out plenty of characters, but I still think it'd be cool to get another lotr movie .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:57 AM   #86
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye The Elves

I think the elves should be portrayed as they are in the book. I like them better in The Hobbit... they're alot more... merry! But then again perhaps if they just made them a little more merry than in Lotr, but not quite as serious.
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:51 PM   #87
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Without going into the rights and wrongs of doing a Hobbit movie - I have mixed feelings on the issue, though I would be very sorry if I'd never seen the LOTR movies - I thought I'd mention I was at a con yesterday where one of the guests, a compositor who worked at Weta on ROTK, seemed confident the Hobbit movie would go ahead, probably after KING KONG. He said New Line has the film rights and - was it MGM, I forget? - has the distribution rights. There is too much money here, he said, for it not to happen.

All I can hope is that if it does go ahead, as seems likely, Christopher T will soften enough that he can actually be consulted over the thing and it would be more likely to be something his father wouldn't have minded. Unlikely, but you never know.
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:47 PM   #88
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
Too bad they did not save Agent Smith for Thranduil, he would have done much better than as Elrond methinks.
Woh! Great point! I can't believe it took me this long to notice it, though O_o .
Old 05-05-2004, 04:22 PM   #89
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Tolkien

I can't wait to see if the "Hobbit" does come out. Where I'm from, there's a lot of buzz, but no certainties. I think PJ will make it though. He made the other movies, so why not?
Old 05-06-2004, 03:41 PM   #90
ElberethVarda
Pile O'Bones

ElberethVarda has just left Hobbiton.
Actually, PJ has no intention as far as anyone knows, of doing the Hobbit now. He and Fran are totally occupied by King Kong. You can read to your heart's content about anything concerning the Hobit film here.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:23 PM   #91
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
Actually, PJ has no intention as far as anyone knows, of doing the Hobbit now. He and Fran are totally occupied by King Kong.
Oh, he's certainly not worrying about it now. But apparently he is very interested in it after King Kong (as just about everybody has said in just about every post in this thread ).
Old 12-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #92
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question Oh, my....

More fuel for speculation..... Here is a doozy of a story on The Hobbit.

Click here for PJ's comments on bringing back the "relatives" of the Ring characters.

OK, Gimli is not a problem. You could certainly reprise Ian as Gandalf. And I suppose they could run into a younger Arwen or Aragorn or Legalos. The latter would make some sense in Mirkwood, perhaps even helping Bilbo escape.

But what could they possibly have in mind for Pippin or Merry or someone like Boromir or Faramir? (Just how far are they going with this thing?) And how do Ian and Elijah fit in here? If all his Hobbit buds were going back for the Hobbit shooting, I can't imagine Elijah being "left out".

Any ideas? You also get the impression that some of these actors still really miss the bonds they forged in making LotR.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:19 PM   #93
Lobelia
Wight

Shield

[QUOTE=Child of the 7th Age]More fuel for speculation..... Here is a doozy of a story on The Hobbit.

OK, Gimli is not a problem. You could certainly reprise Ian as Gandalf. And I suppose they could run into a younger Arwen or Aragorn or Legalos. The latter would make some sense in Mirkwood, perhaps even helping Bilbo escape.

But what could they possibly have in mind for Pippin or Merry or someone like Boromir or Faramir? (Just how far are they going with this thing?) And how do Ian and Elijah fit in here? If all his Hobbit buds were going back for the Hobbit shooting, I can't imagine Elijah being "left out".

Any ideas?

Gimli says he was left at home as being too young at merely sixty (can't recall where this passage appears, somewhere in the HOME books, where the characters are sitting around Minas Tirith discussing the quest of Erebor).That leaves him out. Legolas would be there, but really, is there any reason Orlando Bloom couldn't just play Thranduil? That way they wouldn't have to stick in a cameo of a character who wasn't in the novel just to please the fans. Of course, he is a bit young to be convincing; Thranduil might look young, but has a mature dignity about him. I'd still rather see that than stick in Legolas. No, you couldn't have Boromir or Faramir, obviously, or even a young Denethor, because he wasn't born at the time! Arwen was in Lothlorien at the time - remember, when Aragorn first sees her, she's only just come home from there, and he's twenty at the time. Aragorn was ten and living in Rivendell during the period of The Hobbit - he could perhaps come in briefly while the maps are being interpreted and be shooed off to play. Though I sometimes wonder if Aragorn *ever* played.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:06 PM   #94
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lobelia,

Sorry if my entry about Gimli was confusing. Since PJ said the LotR staff would be playing "relatives", I assumed Rhys would be playing his own dad Glóin who was, of course, part of the dwarf contingent.

The same thing goes for the rest of the cast: these would have to be "relatives" in many cases, since the chronology wouldn't fit otherwise. The question is this: how far do they bend the story line to include these actors? Just how would Gondorians fit into this mix? And are we talking about a one-minute cameo or something more extensive? Perhaps, PJ was referring mainly to the Hobbits.

Iam not sure how Legalos would come over as Thranduil. That would be such a different character than Orlando has ever played. And I'm not just talking about how he looks!

Still, it is curious to think about these possibilities and whatPJ may have in mind....

P.S. I think Astin is such a good actor that, with a bit of make-up, he could make a thoroughly amusing Gaffer.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:24 PM   #95
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sean Bean would rock as Bard.

In terms of Legolas, I guess it depends on how you interpret "Son of Thranduil". If he's crown prince then you'd have to make a big deal of him; but if Thranduil has other, older sons, then Legolas could show up just about anywhere, leading a group of elves to do just about anything, and speak any lines attributed to any un-named elf in Mirkwood, as long as it isn't the 'butler' or the turnkey. Wide open. I wonder if Legolas ever got sent to the Wine Cellar to run barrels? Perhaps for giving his father the King too much lip? "Roll-roll-roll-roll..." Ha!

I think Elijah Wood ought to play a short elf. Much better suited to that, bony-face, blue-eyes & all.... Hey-- how about the butler?? Or he could be one of the elves singing "Tralalalally."

*cough*

In terms of The Hobbits-- What is there for them to do, really? Aside from the departure at The Green Dragon and the auctioning off of Biilbo's stuff upon his return, there just aren't many scenes in The Hobbit for more than one Hobbit.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:43 PM   #96
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
You know, I think it's worth pointing out that I don't see anything in that article that says that it was Jackson who was floating these ideas of the cast coming back to play relatives. Actors are always looking for their next job, and "There was talk..." could be nothing more than a few of the guys sitting around going, "Man, wouldn't it be great if we could come back and play our relatives in The Hobbit? Yeah! Make it happen, Pete!"
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:01 PM   #97
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
I think I've commented somewhere about Hobbit movie(s). I'd like to see a
two-parter, the first ending showing the White Council, elves, and Dunedain
attacking Dol Guldur and Thorin & Co. either escaping from the Bonfire Glen or
entering Mirkwood. Two films would mean lots of $$$$$ for everybody, and
give more time to cover the story, perhaps in 2 1/2 hour movies, rather then one
longer film, which would also be preferable to one 3+ hours for movie theater scheduling for one longer movie.

And why not John R. Davies as Thorin? Of course, they'd have to have a
better makeup system so he doesn't get disabling rashes, since Bilbo, Gandalf,
and Thorin have more "screentime" then anyone.

And, just a thought, why not have four hobbits and nine dwarves in Thorin
and Co.? Perhaps a tolerable change (certainly more so then PJ's
botching of Denethor).
Old 12-12-2004, 03:19 PM   #98
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Quote:
And, just a thought, why not have four hobbits and nine dwarves in Thorin and Co.? Perhaps a tolerable change (certainly more so then PJ's
botching of Denethor).
Personally I feel that if too many changes were made to The Hobbit (e.g. the changing of who was in the Company) I just wouldn't be happy with it, and I don't think I would even go and see it.

I have nothing against small changes being made that are necessary in adapting it to the big screen, but I think if it needs to be changed that dramatically just to have people going to see it, it shouldn't be done at all. Changing who is in the company to add more hobbits etc just changes the overall story, and I don't agree with it.

I also don't see the necessity for two movies covering the Hobbit - I think it could be condensed into one, although I agree that it would be difficult to end it, what with the killing of Smaug and the Battle of Five Armies.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:51 PM   #99
Fair_Dimithilien

I am both for, and against.

For because the Hobbit is also a good book, and because Jackson would have a chance to make a more light-hearted film. Also Gollum appears for an interesting phase in the Hobbit

But against, because would it work? I mean, after LOTR, the Hobbit would seem quite small.. and it is much less powerful than the trilogy.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #100
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

would they have ian holm as bilbo? He was clearly awesome as bilbo in lotr but is he to old? I hope hes not and he would be able to put up with having his face taped back everyday.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:22 PM   #101
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill
You know, I think it's worth pointing out that I don't see anything in that article that says that it was Jackson who was floating these ideas of the cast coming back to play relatives. Actors are always looking for their next job, and "There was talk..." could be nothing more than a few of the guys sitting around going, "Man, wouldn't it be great if we could come back and play our relatives in The Hobbit? Yeah! Make it happen, Pete!"
Good point....

*sigh*
Old 12-14-2004, 05:07 AM   #102
Lobelia
Wight

Child:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Lobelia,

Sorry if my entry about Gimli was confusing. Since PJ said the LotR staff would be playing "relatives", I assumed Rhys would be playing his own dad Glóin who was, of course, part of the dwarf contingent.

Still, it is curious to think about these possibilities and whatPJ may have in mind....

P.S. I think Astin is such a good actor that, with a bit of make-up, he could make a thoroughly amusing Gaffer.
Ah, John Rhys-Davies as Gloin, nice idea - Gloin is a feisty character who thinks Bilbo is an idiot and would be a meaty role ... or he could do Balin, the kind one, or even Thorin.

Alas, much as I loved Astin as Sam, I think he's actually too *old* to play Hamfast, who was a young boy at the time - remember, early in LOTR he remarks that he had just become an apprentice to the previous gardener at the time of the Erebor quest?

Perhaps they should just start again with a new cast? And some new hunk as Bard (though not too young, because Bard, like Aragorn, is not young - at least, I don't get that impression.)
Old 12-14-2004, 01:14 PM   #103
ivo
Newly Deceased

ivo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair_Dimithilien

But against, because would it work? I mean, after LOTR, the Hobbit would seem quite small.. and it is much less powerful than the trilogy.
Are you kidding me? It's a magnificent tale. Imagine lots of Dwarves, Mirkwood and the Woodelves, Beorn (!), Gandalfs encounter with Sauron in Dol Guldur, the Battle of The Five Armies and above all IMAGINE Smaug!
I'd die to see Smaug flying on screen.
ivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:36 PM   #104
Bungo Baggins
Animated Skeleton

Bungo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the Hobbit would be a wonderful prequel to the series. PJ would do it justice and I think his team would know how to lighten it up a little bit. I think the original hobbits could work in small cameos, but not much more.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:03 AM   #105
Lobelia
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo Baggins
I think the Hobbit would be a wonderful prequel to the series. PJ would do it justice and I think his team would know how to lighten it up a little bit. I think the original hobbits could work in small cameos, but not much more.
Does it need a lot of lightening? Okay, Thorin dies, but there's plenty of humour in the rest of the novel - the smug, middle-class hobbit dragged off on a quest, after hosting all those Dwarves, running around like a chicken with its head off serving them afternoon tea, Beorn's bewilderment at the Dwarves turning up in pairs, the Elves' cheeky songs, Bilbo running around Thranduil's palace and struggling with the barrels...

Old 12-18-2004, 02:33 PM   #106
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I trust PJ to a point. He is a very talented director, however, The Hobbit is an entirely different storyline than what he is used to. PJ likes the blood and gore scene. The Hobbit is a childrens fantasy which is a trifle less edgy than he's used to. If he wants to do it I trust him. I'll warrant it'll turn out just fine. Maybe not the greatest which it should be, but I don't think he will insult Sir Tolkien.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:57 AM   #107
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
1420! This one time, at Mirkwood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobelia
Does it need a lot of lightening? Okay, Thorin dies, but there's plenty of humour in the rest of the novel - the smug, middle-class hobbit dragged off on a quest, after hosting all those Dwarves, running around like a chicken with its head off serving them afternoon tea, Beorn's bewilderment at the Dwarves turning up in pairs, the Elves' cheeky songs, Bilbo running around Thranduil's palace and struggling with the barrels...

Oh! Oh! Don't forget when the elves guarding the port passage way decide to take "but a few sips" of the barrels and end up tipsy and out... (Only way Bilbo was able to get past them) very funny in my opinion compared to the "serious" and "sober" elves of TLOTR...

PJ better not screw this movie up! (If he ever so is inclined to do this book into film) This is my favorite next to the first of the LOTR, and i swear there will be hell to pay!
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #108
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
For those jonesing for The Hobbit: The Movie, steel yourself for more waiting. This article on aintitcoolnews.com indicates that PJ & Co are targeting an adaptation of The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold as their followup to King Kong.

Even discounting legal difficulties with the rights, I'd reckon the new project tacks at least a year onto the wait for a possible Hobbit movie.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #109
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
ARRRRRRRRRRGH I can just see it, THE HOBBIT THERE OR THEREABOUTS. Legolas leads the attack that captures the dwarves, Gimli who just happens to be staying with his kin in the Iron Hills for the weekend, is in the forefront of the battle, The Necromancer of Dol Guldur is a slightly smaller eye, ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH I am falling out of my tree.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:47 PM   #110
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Yess, Preciouss, and Narfforc's ignoring Arwen's presumed Hobbit Movie concern for 10-year -old Aragorn son of Arathorn. (well, at least he wouldn't have a
scruffy beard)

Hmm, or would Legolas/Paris kidnap Arwen and elope to northern Mirkwood?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:02 PM   #111
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Wow, I dont know how long I have been waiting for this. I love the Hobbit, sometimes more than LotR because it delves deeper into the Dwarven culture. PJ would have a guaranteed audience if he made this film.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #112
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

YAY!!!!!!!!!! He's making the Hobbit!!!!!!!! I'm soooooo happy!!!!!! I do hope it won't be anything like the animated version.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #113
Orophin
Animated Skeleton

Orophin has just left Hobbiton.
Hmmm, I heard about this a long time ago but this is the first Ive heard it confirmed. Does anyone know if the same people will be playing Bilbo, Gandalf and maybe Legolas?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:54 PM   #114
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninlaith
but I don't think he will insult Sir Tolkien.
Really? Was he knighted?
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #115
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Don't Blame Christopher Tolkien!

Yes, this is an old thread- but it still comes up on Google searches, as do all the erroneous press reports (lazy journalists!) Thus this attempt to set the record straight.

Fact No. 1: The Tolkien Estate has absolutely no say in the film rights to The Hobbit, since JRRT sold them in his lifetime. The legal fight over the rights is between two Hollywood studios, New Line and MGM/UA, who each own part of the rights.

Fact No. 2: The Tolkien Estate did not pull the plug on a LOTR museum in New Zealand. Christopher Tolkien has been unjustly called every name in the book for something he never did. Unfortunately Peter Jackson misspoke, or a reporter misheard: the museum was blocked not by the Tolkien Estate, but by Tolkien Enterprises, which is owned by Hollywood producer Saul Zaentz and has nothing whatsoever to do with the Tolkien family.

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 11-06-2006 at 08:57 AM. Reason: swear word deleted by moderator
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #116
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assasin
YAY!!!!!!!!!! He's making the Hobbit!!!!!!!! I'm soooooo happy!!!!!! I do hope it won't be anything like the animated version.
Although you have not visited the downs in 30 years... I second the thought that the animated version did not have the right feel that the book has.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote