The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2004, 08:14 PM   #241
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Well, I posted a thread on LaWiseWoman, so we'll hopefully get some help from there and...um...yeah.

*sighs* I'll try and talk to the manager at Hoyts Theatres. But it may be a bit better if I wait for a while 'til we have the whole thing a little more clearly defined, OK?
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:39 AM   #242
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dūm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

ooh! I'll be in one of the commiteesd. Any one,you can choose. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:36 AM   #243
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, Elfearz...is there anything you're particulalry good at? Such as websites or designing...etc. Otherwise we'll dump you in a group that no one wants to be in. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

And that reminds me...what's happened to the Running Ring???!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 01:49 PM   #244
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Hi all! Our "exam week" is starting at school and I'm quite busy next two weeks but after that I could probably do something. Unfortunately I'm not really good at any tasks listed on the previous page. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
If I had to choose, I'd pick advertising but there's always this problem that I'm not a native English speaker.

[edit: a typo...]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:50 PM January 24, 2004: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]
Old 01-24-2004, 07:28 PM   #245
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well what is your first language? Maybe we can find someone on this site who speaks the same language and he/she can help you out.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:01 AM   #246
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

My first languange is Finnish but I doubt that there aren't too many Finns here.
Maybe it's better that I don't join any comittee but if you need general opinions about something, I could tell my view (if anyone's interested [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 01-25-2004, 01:12 PM   #247
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm sorry, I don't have any contacts with anyone famous and I'm not very "computer savvy" [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] , but I'm pretty good at drawing or designing. I also have a scanner and a computer program that spiffys up scanned pictures a bit, so if you need help with that, I'll be willing. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

So the Running Ring is the design we'll be putting on the t-shirts? Maybe we could have the Barrow-Downs symbol on the front and on the back put the Running Ring and:

Golden Ring Marathon!
October 20th, 2005!

That's just an idea...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:55 PM January 25, 2004: Message edited by: Rilwen Gamgee ]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:27 AM   #248
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
*sighs* I know, I know...I'm waiting too, but Robyn hasn't sent it to me yet. But I go back to college on Thursday...and I'm doing NCEA Level 1 now so that'll take up a lot of my time.

Oh, and before I forget, 20th of October 2005. The Golden Ring Marathon is written on the inside of the drawing so we don't have to worry about adding that in...we just have to print 'www.barrowdowns.com' below it and we're all sweet.

BTW, it's nice to see so many Kiwi accents in Hollywood nowadays [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] (Go Hard, Pete)
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #249
middleearthguy
Newly Deceased

middleearthguy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to middleearthguy Send a message via AIM to middleearthguy
Sting

Heh, you can always drop it off in the city sometime and I can scan it anfd have it up on a website with a link in a day for thee.

As for committeess and such let me know where I am needed best and I shall help out.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:34 PM   #250
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

Quote:
Well, Elfearz...is there anything you're particulalry good at? Such as websites or designing...etc. Otherwise we'll dump you in a group that no one wants to be in.
well, I have a website. *scratches head* you can check it out and determine if it's good. Otherwise I don't really care what group I'm in. *shrugs*

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:48 PM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: elfearz1 ]
Old 01-27-2004, 10:01 PM   #251
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I've seen your website, elfearz, and it looks good to me! At this point we would go for substance over style, so we really don't need anyone who knows super-advanced html, just someone who can make us a competant and attractive website. You seem to be well-qualified for the job. As long as you're willing to commit to the website design, and think you might be able to come up with something really fancy sooner or later, when we really jump into adveritsing, I'd say you're our very own one and only Web Design committee member. I'll let my fellow chairpeople and such look at it too (the link to her homepage, in case you didn't notice [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ), but don't hesitate to join the committee.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:07 PM   #252
middleearthguy
Newly Deceased

Send a message via ICQ to middleearthguy Send a message via AIM to middleearthguy
Sting

I just had an idea as to what I can help with in the immediate future.

When we decide on a name for the site, I can register and host the domain name on my works server. We can even have our own forums if the need be.

If this is helpful please let me know.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #253
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Hell yeah, that's useful! So hopefully if you drop the design to Middleearthguy we'll see the Running Ring soon? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Oh, and I just want to say...
IT'S SNOWING!!!!!!!! WAHAY!!!!!!!!!! (And I thought it was a typical British thunderstorm- but apparently not...the weatherforcasters got it right for once [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . They've been predicting snow for a few days now...

Um yeah...excellent, Morgul...how's the Ian McKellen front going? Any news yet? Tell us if there is.

Right, to recap on T-shirts. We download the Running Ring and either paint the picture on or we could do heat transfer...and we add the barrowdowns link on separately. But either way, we do it all separately, yes?

And about the date...it doesn't matter if I write it 20th October 2005 as opposed to October 20th 2005, does it...because I'm British...and I'm afraid to say that a lot of people I know are going to take to this much better if it isn't entirely Americanised. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Hope I'm not offending everyone here...and I'm not stereotyping all the English or anything...but anyway, it's just the date. It's not going to be vital to have it any particular order, is it?
Old 01-28-2004, 05:32 PM   #254
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

That's probably a good idea, Elentari.

I posted once, then forgot all about this, then noticed it again and was amazed at how organized it's gotten! I have finally finished reading the rest of this thread and am definately willing to help in whatever way I can! Most likely General Planning, or I could probably help with website design as well. (I'm good at editing for spelling and grammar...one of the few things I'm good at.)
Old 01-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #255
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Lots of people are saying that they don't have any special contact with the actors or experts. I don't really think that's necessary to be on the Contacts committee, you just have to be able to write a good letter to get them interested, and willing to keep up with them and keep us updated on their input.

I had actually thought of the possible need for our own forum before. So.... I went and got one. I hope you won't think me too bold. Here's the link: The Golden Ring Marathon Forum. And when you join, it would be really nice if you used the same name as here on the Barrow-Downs, or at least a similar one, so that we all know who you are. Now that we have that, though, let's not all run over there and completely neglect this thread. When we do make the eventual transition, let's keep posting updates and such here, so that people can still find it, and they don't all just forget about it. I think keeping htis thread on the first page where people can see it would be a good goal, but we still need good posts, not just bumps. Maybe we should use this thread for general and overall discussion, and use our own forum for planning mostly among the various committees. That's basically the way I've got it set up. The chairpeople can become the mods for the forum, if that's alright with all of you. And be sure to make any suggestions you can. See you there!

Old 01-29-2004, 07:03 PM   #256
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Luthien, you're awesome. I'm glad you're a chair! So, what can I do? Am I on advertising? I might be able to make up some posters or something... Let me know. I'm headed over to the forum to join! WHEE! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

EDIT: I've joined some other forums, too. Hopefully someone will notice my sig! (Council of Elrond and LOTR Fanatics Plaza. Any other suggestions? I'm so busy trying to find my way around!)

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:12 PM January 29, 2004: Message edited by: Laitoste ]
Old 01-29-2004, 07:29 PM   #257
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

oooh a forum, awesome.

...so...what am I doing?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:48 PM   #258
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

Hi everyone! I'm about to join, but I just wanted to tell you all that I will do anything possible to help. I can run an entire advertizing scheme, as my father is the owner of a marketing and comunnications company. But if any other thoughts come to mind, please holler! you can e-mail me at Imfrodo2968@aol.com or I'll see you at the new site! By the way, my screen name will be Iorhael or Iorhael_Ancalime. See you there!
Old 01-30-2004, 08:24 AM   #259
middleearthguy
Newly Deceased

Sting

My email is being very slow so I dont have the password sent to me yet , this kinda thing is exactly what I was thinking of minus the nasty popup/banner ads at the top that have cookies and other nasties to clog up your pc secretly.

Maybe you would like to setup/admin the forums I could provide free without ads and other nasties?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:25 AM   #260
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Welcome, Frodo the White! It's always great to get new members! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And Luthien, thanks so much for setting up the forum. That's a great help, and you're wonderful to do it. Hannon le, mellon nin! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 01-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #261
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have signed up for the new forum, although it hasn't sent me my password yet either. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Anyway, my name will be the same there as it is here. I can't wait!!

Elentįri, the date thing is fine by me. I'm from the U.S. and the date doesn't offend me or anything. As long as we have a date and a month instead of just numbers so as not to confuse people in different parts of the world, it would be fine.

One idea I had for advertising within the 'Downs for the Marathon is for those of you who have notices in your signatures to turn them into links to either this thread or our forum. I know I, for one, had no idea what the Golden Ring Marathon was for quite a while.
Hannon le, Luthien, for our lovely forum!

TTFN! (Ta Ta For Now!)
Oromin
Old 01-30-2004, 10:24 PM   #262
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I'm already posting away! Come to the forum people! We need ideas!

Haha. I just realized, I seem to have "taken over" the General Planning and Continuity Committees. Sorry if I seem to be overly taking charge. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:02 PM   #263
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Not at all, Finwe! We need the help! Ok, I'm going to sign up to the forum...I'll probably sign as Elentįri or something because my name is just way too long. Glad there have been no objections over the date! Yup, as long as it isn't in numbers...I get VERY confused when it's in numbers!
Ahh, the snow melted. Oh well...
Morgul, could you really get a forum with no ads or anything? That would be wonderful! But anyway, I need to have a look at this one...
Old 02-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #264
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Do we have the design for the Running Ring yet? How about anyone who has artistic talent on this or Luthien's site could some how send in a scetch of theirs and then we could all vote on it.

Keep up the great work!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:58 PM February 02, 2004: Message edited by: Rilwen Gamgee ]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #265
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Ring

Okay, I still don't have my password, but as soon as I do, I'll post some ideas.

But meanwhile, I will do anything you want me to, I'm more of a go-getter. I plan, then do.

*I live in a BIG tourist town, so I'm getting stuff in the paper, etc.*

Anyways, I'm thinking General Planning & Advertizing is more my cup of tea. But it's up to you!

DEFINATELY DO NOT MAKE THIS TOO AMERICAN!!!!!
I live in America, AND HATE EVERY SECOND OF IT! *no offense to anyone [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] * I think this should be based mostly in the UK and US, though.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #266
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Quote:
Arwen Eruantale (are you still out there?!)
Yes! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Here I am! Back, at the turn of the tide...Hallo everyone!

I'm sorry I was gone so long, but so much has been going on...(If anyone wants the long and short of it just PM me.)
But anyway, I've not had time to read the multiple pages that appeared in my absence, (on my own thread!) but I'd like to say great job (!) to everyone...*smiles*

I've got to go now, just wanted to let everyone know I've in no way abandoned the project.

-Arwen

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:04 PM   #267
middleearthguy
Newly Deceased

Sting

how long should the password take to be sent?
Old 02-02-2004, 12:47 PM   #268
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

That's what I was thinking, middleearthguy...I signed up yesterday and don't have my password!

Ahh, Arwen!!! Good to see/read you!!! I would try to paraphrase the last few pages...but it would take too long. Most of the action has been in the last two or three though...so if you're really short of time look there...

Hmm, haven't come across many Americans who hate Americanisation, I must say...but oh well. As long as it doesn't end up too corporate or anything...this ought to be a fan thing above all. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 01:49 PM   #269
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
how long should the password take to be sent?
I dunno. I got mine within about ten minutes, so.... Sorry to you people who haven't gotten yours yet! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Everything is going great, it's awesome to see everyone getting involved! Huzzah!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 02-02-2004, 05:44 PM   #270
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thankyou, everyone, for the many praises and accolades at my forum creation! Now hopefully I can live up to such praise.

For those of you who haven't received your password yet: I'm very sorry, but I can't control it. I don't know what causes it to go this slowly. I set up an experimental account which I have since deleted, and it took a day to get the password e-mail, whereas signing up for the messageboard itself took mere minutes. There is one thing I can do for you. Please do not be alarmed, I would never abuse this power, but I do have the ability to change your password (probably for situations like these). So if you still haven't received your password, PM me, and I will give you a random password which you can use to log in. You can then change your password in your profile, so I'll only know what it is until you change it. This doesn't mess up your account or anything (ie. it won't demand that you log in first with the orginal password it would have sent to you), because I already tried it with the experimental account. So if anyone wants to try this, go ahead and PM me, and I will try to get you set up.

I assume this will mostly be in the UK and US, but we should strive to make it as international as possible. Use whatever dating system you're comfortable with (I use both, one for each different setting I'm in).

Old 02-03-2004, 02:16 AM   #271
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Oops, I was going to edit my post to say I had got my password after all...but somehow I forgot... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

So, Arwen...which committee will you join?
Old 02-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #272
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

By the way Luthien, the pictures are finally working! Did you switch the hosts or something?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:45 PM   #273
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

Yes, I switched hosts. Geocities wasn't liking me, you see.... Glad to see it's working now. I was getting sick of not being able to see the pictures, including my avatar here.

So, everyone's got their password now?

EDIT: As far as I know, the only person who doesn't have their password so far is middleearthguy.... could you either confirm that you have it or PM me so that I can help you?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:51 PM February 03, 2004: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

Old 02-03-2004, 09:01 PM   #274
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
Hmm, haven't come across many Americans who hate Americanisation
Well, 'hate' is maybe too strong a word, 'dislike' or 'strongly dislike' might be better. But I fit into that category as well. And I am trying to train myself to use day/month/year for dates. Not an easy thing to do, having used the American way until a few weeks ago. Anyway, you probably don't really want me to keep ranting, so I'll stop now, before I really get going!

I have not yet joined that forum, but I will soon! (I hope! I can be a bit of a flake at times)
Old 02-03-2004, 09:13 PM   #275
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Just remember, don't make it too "British" or "non-American" either. We don't need it to be at the other end of the spectrum either.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:56 PM   #276
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Very good point, Finwe. We'll have to fight about that later at the Forum. [shameless plug] You know, the Continuity Area at the Golden Ring Forum. We really get the final say in how everything will be set up, because it all has to be right and the same everywhere. Really an incredibly important committee, that. Too bad more people haven't joined, they're really missing out. [/shameless plug]

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 02-04-2004, 11:41 PM   #277
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Thank you, Elennar, now I don't feel so alone! Anyway, thanks to Luthien, I'm finally up on the new forum, and it's great!
I already have a few posts under my belt, and hope to see you all there soon! And again, I am Iorhael on the GRM forum! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Namaarie! -Iorhael Lolindir Ancalime I Taur
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 09:07 PM   #278
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Okay, everybody, this is what's been going on: In General Planning, we've been working on Merchandise ideas, licensing, and where to hold it; in Advertising, we've put links in quite a few sites, and Morgul Queen got one of the Running Rings up (yay!); I personally can't speak for Web Design; Continuity has been working on continuity stuff (i know, descriptive, sorry!); Contacts has been, well, contacting, and figuring out who's doing what. Come on over, we need your help!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:30 PM   #279
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring New stuff happening!

Yes, Contacts is sorting out who to contact, and Web Design is working on getting a web site and making sure everyone knows the basics. We'd love to have anyone who wants to join us! The Golden Ring Marathon Forum

Old 03-03-2004, 09:15 PM   #280
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Web design's been rather slow lately...As in nobody posted there for about a week.