The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #801
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
New quote from Mira (in reference to someone new she has to play nice with): psh, unless she's blonde, foreign, has an accent, will let me sit on her lap, and encourages me to drink at 3:30 in the afternoon, she will never be as cool as Danish
Old 01-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #802
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
New quote from Mira (in reference to someone new she has to play nice with): psh, unless she's blonde, foreign, has an accent, will let me sit on her lap, and encourages me to drink at 3:30 in the afternoon, she will never be as cool as Danish
Hahaha I am Mira and I approve of this message.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #803
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
++Mira for representative

satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #804
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I believe in Mira Stick.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:46 AM   #805
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
I believe in Mira Stick.
You just won (a) life(time supply of cookies). How would you like it shipped?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #806
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
PS. My guess for the midnight kiss is Annika the Wereduckling and Legate (aka a bottle of Czech beer).
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #807
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
PS. My guess for the midnight kiss is Annika the Wereduckling and Legate (aka a bottle of Czech beer).
That is a wonderful guess, haha.

But incorrect. Please try again.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #808
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
You just won (a) life(time supply of cookies). How would you like it shipped?
I would like my Sally to deliver every other batch in person, so we can have quality Fea/Sally time, and the other batches can come by FedEx.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #809
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I would also like to add that fortunately this forum has good moderators, because without the stability they provide, this place would go up in flames if left in the hands of the insane characters at the moot.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #810
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I would also like to add that fortunately this forum has good moderators, because without the stability they provide, this place would go up in flames if left in the hands of the insane characters at the moot.
True story.

*bows to moderators*

If left to the Moot, this forum would have:
  • many trips to 7-11 in search of the meaning of the text
  • pie pie pie pie bacon pie pie pie pie bacon lembas bread
  • cross-gender marriage proposals involving the One Ring
  • performance art and/or interpretive dance depicting the deaths of every major character
  • Harry Potter trivia games ("This is the worst Tolkien convention ever!")
  • half the number of wolves promised
  • long, winding, explorations of Middle Earth during which the Downers try not to get hit by the fast moving Eagles... or the other fast moving Eagles... or the oncoming Riders of Rohan... or the other oncoming Riders of Rohan...
  • etc.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #811
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril

Quote:
True story.

*bows to moderators*

• many trips to 7-11 in search of the meaning of the text
  • pie pie pie pie bacon pie pie pie pie bacon lembas bread
  • cross-gender marriage proposals involving the One Ring
  • performance art and/or interpretive dance depicting the deaths of every major character
  • Harry Potter trivia games ("This is the worst Tolkien convention ever!")
  • half the number of wolves promised
  • long, winding, explorations of Middle Earth during which the Downers try not to get hit by the fast moving Eagles... or the other fast moving Eagles... or the oncoming Riders of Rohan... or the other oncoming Riders of Rohan...
  • etc.

I luvs you so much right now!Especially for the ones I bolded.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #812
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
  • more Werewolf games than discussion threads

Oh, wait a minute - we already do...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #813
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

A summary for all of you tired of reading reports- it was cool.

(if you don't care to read anything more detailed than that, skip the rest of this)

The Journey

I left Omaha around 6 AM on Sunday. The interstate was terribly icy from the big storm. There was a car or truck in the ditch every couple of miles. It started to snow.

To avoid being part of another wreck I flew off the interstate into the shallow ditch between the two ways. I clipped a sign, but avoided any vehicles, and amazingly ended up back on the shoulder when I stopped. It was nice not getting stuck, and not dying was nice too.

The snow continued through Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana. In Ohio it got really bad. Traffic was moving at a crawl. There was no way to tell where lanes were, and cars were beginning to become invisible at distances of greater than 20 feet. I checked the weather and kept going, fearing that if I stopped I would be snowed in and arrive late (or not at all) to Boston Moot.

Pennsylvania- still snowing, and the reports said the same of New York and Connecticut. I decided I would just go all the way to Boston without stopping. I arrived around 9 AM Monday, and thankfully my hotel let me check in before the official 3 PM check-in time. The rest of the day and the following morning was spent recovering.

The People

(if I don't mention you, it's because I ripped this list from the Facebook event page)

Alonariel- She seemed to time her naps for my visits. Purposefully? I can't answer that, but I can say that she taught me a new card game which I rather liked and she proved quite good at games in general. And she certainly made an impression on New Year's with her blue dress.

Boromir88- He was a bit quieter than I expected. It is a grave mistake to judge the amount of noise a person will produce based upon online Werewolf games. Though some of it may have been weariness. When discussing football he was talkative enough, though, and I was pleased to have a football outlet present. He was also a responsible chap, picking up groceries and cooking and worrying about picking up new arrivals. Terrible cook though.

Brinniel- The first couple of days convinced me that Brin was extremely quiet and serious, and her glances seemed to say, "Yeesh, Phantom, you are annoying- go away". Then we went to the museum and I was thrown for a loop by witnessing a picture-snapping, pointing, and yapping Brin. And then my final day in Boston we had a nice little conversation in the afternoon. Turns out she's fun and likable. First impressions aren't always right.

Celuien- Very quiet. If the entire moot would've been one large group I doubt I would've had an opinion of her (other than the fact that she in her black dress was spectacular). Thankfully she was part of the smaller group that stayed at the museum for a long time, which gave me a chance to find out that she is in fact awesome. Any future moot must include her.

Diamond18- Every gathering needs someone who socializes like Di. She didn't talk loads, but could talk about anything, and a couple times I noticed her adding to more than one conversation at once. She hovers, listening, watching, and then pounces, leaping in with an amusing comment. She was consistently funny, and along with Shasta produced the best WW moment of the week.

Encaitare- Unexpectedly tall, and chillingly familiar. She was like an amalgamation of people that I used to know- my orchestra girls from back in the day. When I played in various youth symphonies and university orchestra and such, I knew a small group of girls that played with me in nearly every group. We had a shared taste in music and films, and a similar sense of humor, and I just loved them. From everything I saw Enca was shockingly similar to them, and I am completely convinced that if we knew each other in RL we would be friends.

Feanor of the Peredhil- She was busy with school and quite thrown off by sickness much of the time. Very sad. I'd say the majority of my contact with her was not spent speaking with her, but rather speaking with others as she used me as a pillow in her pitiful state. I think this is a good enough reason to have another moot- we never really got to meet Fea as she usually is.

Formendacil- A master at pretending to be serious when being funny, and obviously more skilled than me at falling asleep. The man actually went off to bed with sixteen of us in the next room shrieking our heads off. He seemed to be pretty responsible in general, and if forced to choose I would say Formy would have to be considered the resident "father" of the moot (an appropriate title for him, I would say).

Glirdan- It took me all of two seconds to assume Glirdy was a theater geek of some kind. He was loud, dramatic, and an enthusiastic YouTube sing-along supporter. To say that he added considerable life to the party would be an understatement of epic proportions. He also had terrible luck at WW, poor lad. Oh- and he also requested that a Downer abduct him, should anyone find himself up that direction.

Kath- She is living proof that truth cannot be based upon pictures alone. From what I had seen here on the Downs in pics from other moots, Kath was supposed to be a short girl who looked like she was in junior high. Instead, in walked a tall and quite lovely young lady that I had a difficult time not hitting on. She was very nice and friendly, and had an adorable voice to boot. I approve.

Lariren Shadow- She was an insufferable know-it-all. But only on the day we went to the Harry Potter exhibit. She was great company when she was around, but I was often not at the apt at the same time she was, plus the group was so large... You can definitely put Lari high up on the list of reasons I wanted to stay longer or wished to make the group smaller to allow for more chats.

Macalaure and Rikae- To play any game without Rikae would be a crime. She was as fun and into it as anyone there, and her humor was a great mix of funny and brutal. Mac's evil grins and laughs during WW games were just beyond funny (especially since half the time he was being sinister without even trying), and "Darth Wader" will outlive almost everything from the moot in my mind. They were both very nice and were simply the definition of "awwww" when sitting together holding the little wereduckling.

Mirandir- She was definitely evidence that interacting online does not always give the complete picture. I was expecting bubbly and giggly, but it turns out that loud and violent is a better summary. Thankfully I escaped Boston without suffering injury at her hands (the same cannot be said by Boro, Rune, and others). She ranked up there with Glir and Shasta at injecting things with life.

Nienna- Mom. Big sis. She was more likely than anyone to know what was going on, what the plan was, who was where, what was where, and so on. But don't let that make you think she was an uber serious bore- on the contrary she seemed quite cheerful and pleasant and was one of the most genuinely nice people there. She's another one that belongs high up on the list of people I wanted to talk to more than I did.

Rune- Rune was a laugh, and always good for a story. He's been a lot of places and of course comes from someplace I am unfamiliar with to begin with, and so it was really a pleasure hearing his tales and getting his take on things. In particular I enjoyed hearing about his views on sports and fans in other places. And I hope he's learned his lesson about helping people with bags on buses.

Shastanis Althreduin- I know it isn't probably proper to pick favorites in a review like this, but I just have to say that Shasta was the best. There aren't enough words that mean "amusing" and "entertaining" to give him proper credit. He was just delightful to have around all the time, except of course when he was sleeping, which he was able to do almost anywhere under any circumstance.

Wilwarin538- Very nice, uncommonly sweet, and in other ways that I discovered (certain tastes and opinions) she was as similar to me as anyone there. On the downside she was a stealer of ties and a rubber of heads, but she more than made up for her flaws by extending to me an extremely generous offer that Fea bore witness to. Fea thinks she'll back out, but I have faith in Wilwa's honesty and character.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #814
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Boromir88- He was a bit quieter than I expected. It is a grave mistake to judge the amount of noise a person will produce based upon online Werewolf games. Though some of it may have been weariness. When discussing football he was talkative enough, though, and I was pleased to have a football outlet present. He was also a responsible chap, picking up groceries and cooking and worrying about picking up new arrivals. Terrible cook though.
Large groups I tend to stay back, simply because I find myself trying to pay attention to all the conversations that I can't really get into any of them.

Quote:
Mirandir- She was definitely evidence that interacting online does not always give the complete picture. I was expecting bubbly and giggly, but it turns out that loud and violent is a better summary.
Seriously? Someone who can hold their own in a good football conversation, giggly and bubbly? I must say you are not as perceptive as I thought you were.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #815
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Mirandir- She was definitely evidence that interacting online does not always give the complete picture. I was expecting bubbly and giggly, but it turns out that loud and violent is a better summary.
Psh, I don't know what you're talking about. *twirls hair around finger* My bright pink Tony Romo jersey and I will just be over here in this corner swooning about how gooooorgeous he is.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #816
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up Touche!

Quote:
pie pie pie pie bacon pie pie pie pie bacon lembas bread
There was an epic amount of pie! I especially loved the peanut butter pie. And nothing says party like midnight bacon.

Quote:
Harry Potter trivia games ("This is the worst Tolkien convention ever!")
Tooooo true. "What did you do with all your Tolkien-geek friends?" "Well, we went to see the Harry Potter exhibit...."

My favorite "We are so bad at being Tolkienites" moment was on the 3rd, when I was browsing Facebook, saw that it was my cousin's birthday, went to comment on his wall, and then suddenly had this niggling sensation in the back of my mind. Like, Hey doesn't my cousin share a birthday with someone famous? Oh wait.... "Hey guys, isn't it Tolkien's birthday today?" "I dunno, I suppose so." *everyone continues on as before.* (Or something to that effect. )

Quote:
half the number of wolves promised
And a part time Ranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Diamond18- Every gathering needs someone who socializes like Di. She didn't talk loads, but could talk about anything, and a couple times I noticed her adding to more than one conversation at once. She hovers, listening, watching, and then pounces, leaping in with an amusing comment. She was consistently funny, and along with Shasta produced the best WW moment of the week.
I lurk.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #817
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
Wilwarin538- Very nice, uncommonly sweet, and in other ways that I discovered (certain tastes and opinions) she was as similar to me as anyone there. On the downside she was a stealer of ties and a rubber of heads, but she more than made up for her flaws by extending to me an extremely generous offer that Fea bore witness to. Fea thinks she'll back out, but I have faith in Wilwa's honesty and character.
We'll just have to wait and see about that, won't we.

I see Mira as being all four of those things, she giggled very loudly, and was bubbly about violence.

We definitely sucked at being Tolkienites.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #818
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
I see Mira as being all four of those things, she giggled very loudly, and was bubbly about violence.
Easy for you to say! Let me sock you in the gut and smack you across the face and then tell me if there was something bubbly about it.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #819
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
Easy for you to say! Let me sock you in the gut and smack you across the face and then tell me if there was something bubbly about it.
Now Boro, don't forget what Mira told you! Don't be a......well, ya know.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #820
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Pfft Boro I got kicked in the mouth at cheer yesterday but I still think the girl that did it is bubbly!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #821
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Oh! Oh I can't believe I forgot this, sorry for the double post but it's important.

alona, Lari and Nienna had NEVER SEEN Taking the hobbits to Isengard!? Rune and I educated them of course but that was a jaw dropping moment at Bostonmoot.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #822
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath;621555[B
][/B]alona, Lari and Nienna had NEVER SEEN Taking the hobbits to Isengard!? Rune and I educated them of course but that was a jaw dropping moment at Bostonmoot.
This is probably my fault. My thanks for educating them.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #823
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna
The four of us (Boro, Mira, Form, and I) were also a happy family and had a pretty epic grocery shopping trip.
One important detail that Nienna failed to report about this grocery trip (besides the fact that it was the one I did not return from in a colorful (good choice Di ) display of words)...Form and I were indeed right, the metal cart was not necessary on this trip. Nienna and Mira said we needed to bring the cart, Form and I said no, and they said "Fine. But you realize you two will be carrying the most bags and we don't want you complaining about it?" Our combined response was "The cart is unecessary and will be a pain." (as proven in the next grocery trip I go on ). So, we went without a cart, all groceries made it back to the apartment safely. Form and I were gentlemanly enough to carry the most, but also make sure that Nienna and Mira were comfortable and not over-burdened by their loads. We return back to have our first meal together, which has been properly told.

*speaking of food this reminds me of lunch before having a Mira...However, I think it would only be proper if Nienna told you the story about ketchup bottles*
Old 01-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #824
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
The Requested Ketchup Bottle Story

So shortly after we retrieved Boro from the airport (before the epic trip to the liquor store and before picking up Mira and creating our family) we decided to go to lunch. Form had us scheduled so we knew exactly how much time we could spend at lunch, then walk to the liquor store, then pick up Mira. We went to a local sports bar/restaurant place and sat down to have a nice meal. We order drinks and burgers while chatting and trying to distract Boro from the many television screens showing American Football.

Our food arrives and we begin eating. Boro asks for the ketchup bottle and then proceeds to look at it with a strange expression on his face. Form and I just kind of look at him until he explains to use that he doesn't really know what to do with this strange glass ketchup bottle. He then proceeds to tell us that he has never seen a glass ketchup bottle so I explain how to use it (hitting the #57 which is inlaid in the glass right about where the bottle starts to neck). The result is, of course, Boro having a new ketchup experience and Form and I teasing him about being from a weird place with no glass ketchup bottles.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #825
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

He told me he was baffled, and tried impotently to squeeze the glass bottle, and stared blankly until Nienna took the bottle from him and asked, "How much ketchup to you want?"

*loves my B88*
Old 01-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #826
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
He told me he was baffled, and tried impotently to squeeze the glass bottle, and stared blankly until Nienna took the bottle from him and asked, "How much ketchup to you want?"

*loves my B88*
And we both love her remarkable ability to show people how to do things without making them feel like an idiot.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #827
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
And we both love her remarkable ability to show people how to do things without making them feel like an idiot.
And for not laughing or making jokes at those of us who wandered off and got lost down the street from the apartment.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #828
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
And for not laughing or making jokes at those of us who wandered off and got lost down the street from the apartment.
No no, that's what the rest of us were for.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #829
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Silmaril

Going through and replying to some--alas, not all!--of the stuff I meant to reply to earlier, though the sleep deprivation and mad dump back into "reality" discouraged it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare View Post
Formendacil kept blowing my mind with his somewhat suggestive sense of humor, which I had not been expecting at all. One of the more hilarious surprises of the trip.
Really? Really, Encai? How long have we chatted online and you did not expect this? I am amused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18 View Post
Correction: I recognized YOU. Even after Boro introduced himself I didn't know who he was, due to my being deaf from the plane's descent. So there was an awkward few moments of "Yay Michael! Aaaaaand... other dude..." before it registered.
Heh, well... you covered nicely enough at the airport then. And, now that you mention it, I didn't want to bring up that Boro was merely "other dude" to my "first dude."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Form I feel to have spent little time with. I suspect this is due to our conflicting schedules. He naturally gets up, oh, 4 hours before I do! And for someone who claims to naturally be lazy he seemed to be constantly on the move! Actually, to be fair, he was mostly picking people up from airports/stations and doing a very fine job of it. On the odd occasion we got to sit and have a nice chat he was very funny and it was hilarious to watch him reveal his subversive humour to a newcomer who would stare in shock and giggle nervously for a bit. Having spoken to him on MSN this sense of humour didn't surprise me. That said, reading his Annotated Twilight would shock anyone! There is a picture of Glirdan and myself reading it, and I think our expressions say it all! This man has a healthy career ahead of him writing satire if he ever wants to!
See, Encai--Kath picked up my sense of humour from online! She's quite right about the shocking newcomers bit--and there were a delightful number of newcomers about (not all of them, alas, shockable).

As for being naturally lazy, Kath, I most certainly am--I just also didn't sleep super-well on the floor (or even on the bed in the "boys' room")... and there's a certain amount of manipulative sneakiness in getting up first--it means you have a much clearer shot at using the washroom. Besides, as the resident curmudgeon who went to bed first each night, it's only proper that I should have been the first one up--even if it was only a mere 4-5 hours of poorish sleep later.

I assume no one is wondering where the sleep deprivation I've mentioned comes from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Of course, we are all hoping that one of you will drop a hint about that midnight kiss - can we expect another Downs couple sometime?
Really, Esty, as long as there are Downers left untaken, you can probably expect there to eventually be more Downs couples. We're all too entirely taken with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Agree with Esty, this is all great vicarious fun, especially the loved-up bits (I do try to have firm faith in the clean-living rep of Downers, but I am beginning to suspect that this fabled New Year turkey was actually spiked with MDMA...)
Any reputation for clean is 90% attributable to Boro and Glirdan. As for the rest of us? "Clean" might not be the best description of our living all the time.

Quote:
Formendacil- A master at pretending to be serious when being funny, and obviously more skilled than me at falling asleep. The man actually went off to bed with sixteen of us in the next room shrieking our heads off. He seemed to be pretty responsible in general, and if forced to choose I would say Formy would have to be considered the resident "father" of the moot (an appropriate title for him, I would say).
Ah... allow me to reveal to you my dastardly secret: earplugs. Definitely had them for three or four nights.

Also: getting up too early--it makes you pretty tired come nightfall.

And: Big family. You learn to sleep with some noise.

And that seems to be all the posts that I need to catch up on replying to. For the record, I'm still not mentally past Bostonmoot. I'm not sure it's a wise idea to have another one for several years, given how long the emotional recovery seems to take.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #830
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Of course, we are all hoping that one of you will drop a hint about that midnight kiss
The best hint of all is that the hints have already been dropped.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:33 AM   #831
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Encaitare- Unexpectedly tall, and chillingly familiar. She was like an amalgamation of people that I used to know- my orchestra girls from back in the day. When I played in various youth symphonies and university orchestra and such, I knew a small group of girls that played with me in nearly every group. We had a shared taste in music and films, and a similar sense of humor, and I just loved them. From everything I saw Enca was shockingly similar to them, and I am completely convinced that if we knew each other in RL we would be friends.
I was so excited that we both loved the same bands! It's not a very popular genre, but I love talking about it. Also, I am pleased to have been described as "chilling," even out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
Really? Really, Encai? How long have we chatted online and you did not expect this? I am amused.
Well, like I told you the other day, you often make me laugh on AIM but usually have a very, shall we say, clean vocabulary. You must understand, my dear Michael, that you came with the good-Catholic-boy tag stuck to you, and this being so far removed from my life experiences, I would remain somewhat reserved so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities. Now that I know your true colors, all bets are off!

You guys... I really miss you all.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #832
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare View Post

You guys... I really miss you all.

Me too!!!!!!!!

I find in every conversation I have with anyone I somehow get to a point where I can say "When I was in Boston blah blah blah", or I say stuff like "I know someone who blah blah blah" or "a friend of mine blah blah blah" and it's always me bragging about one of you guys cause your all so cool, and therefore make me sound cool for having cool friends.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #833
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
The best hint of all is that the hints have already been dropped.
Truefax.

Quote:
I find in every conversation I have with anyone I somehow get to a point where I can say "When I was in Boston blah blah blah", or I say stuff like "I know someone who blah blah blah" or "a friend of mine blah blah blah" and it's always me bragging about one of you guys cause your all so cool, and therefore make me sound cool for having cool friends.
Awwwwww wilwa I've been doing the same thing! Then it comes out that we know each other from the internet and the strange looks start.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #834
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
Then it comes out that we know each other from the internet and the strange looks start.
That's when the strange looks start?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #835
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
I'm with Mnemo here--the strange looks started long before I left, when I told people I was going away during the Christmas holidays to meet people from the Internet.

Wilwa's quite right, though--everything seems to relate back mentally somehow or other to either the trip to Boston or the people there.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #836
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Haha well the people I'm telling generally know I'm insane already.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #837
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
and it's always me bragging about one of you guys cause your all so cool, and therefore make me sound cool for having cool friends.
Me today at the grocery store... "So it's apparently really hard to get Jello and meat in Denmark."

"What?"

"Jello. And meat. Denmark."

"Okay, dear."
Old 01-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #838
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Me too!!!!!!!!

ME TOO!!! And then I feel bad because I get the "We weren't there so shut up!" look...It's actually rather entertaining seeing some people's face.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #839
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
Awwwwww wilwa I've been doing the same thing! Then it comes out that we know each other from the internet and the strange looks start.
Haha, actually yesterday I was talking with a girl I work with, who I don't know all that well, at our staff party and she had seen the word Bostonmoot somewhere on my Facebook page (not surprising) and she wanted to know where it came from. So I was like, well we're all kinda LOTR geeks, and before I even went further she was like "Ohmigosh, me too, that is sooo awesome, I totally get it now, that's wonderful", so I took it a step further and said I actually met all of you on a LOTR site, and she thought it was marvelous. Made me very happy, and so you're all I talked about for most of the dinner, and she was totally into it. I may have a new BD recruit in the making.

I totally ♥ you guys.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #840
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Me today at the grocery store... "So it's apparently really hard to get Jello and meat in Denmark."

"What?"

"Jello. And meat. Denmark."

"Okay, dear."
I just realised. . . We never made Jello!

This makes me feel sad.

I am back home in my extremely cold house and will write my version of the events soon(ish).

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote