The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2004, 03:40 AM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Are you a Stalker?

Once upon a time there was a thread of that name, but search engine failed to bring it up for me, so I decided to start in anew

What do I mean? The question is quite simple: Do you follow people around on the Downs, whom (if you feel inclined to reveal that), and for what reason?

I for myself am a stalker alright for several reasons:

For one, I usually log on from my office, where we poor mere mortals (i.e. everybody except higher up management and IT staff) have limited access to the net, which is expressed in a ban on load of key words like 'music', 'movie', 'download' and, most of all 'forum'. When link contains one of said keywords, there is no way of getting onto the site in question, unless one uses some tricks, like yours truly does in using IP address instead of 'forum.barrowdowns.com' combination. But, there are some restrictions - per instance, I can not get to sub-fora, as they contain words like forumID=, which can not be replaced, only to individual posts. So the usual way for me is to get "who's online" and 'active topics' lists and move on from there. But such an option gives only picture of last several hours, and there may be some interesting thread of two days ago that I would miss, unless (and here comes in my favouritism) I do not scan recent posts of individual members.

And members usually stalked after by yours truly are numerous, but I would venture the names of several

Leaving alone old hard-core philosophers like Child of Seventh Age, mark 12:30 and Bethberry, davem, per instance, is the member of choice for his (her?) posts are very well thought-out and articulate
and not in random places, but in spots of interest. Belin and Bill Ferny are other two, though I haven't seen neither recently. There are a lot more I follow around, and thanks to them for being around for me to follow

that's about the shape of it. Join in

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
I must admit...

I do 'stalk' Nurumaiel...you gotta love Nuru's posts. Mark12_30, Aman, Fordim as well...and on occasion I will see what Durelin and Bethberry are up to. All those great RPers.

There...off my shoulders.

-Aylwen
Old 05-29-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

I do stalk...althought there isn't a person. I just stalk anyone in the Quiz Room trying to answer my questions!

Btw, look at my location!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I normally "stalk" NightKnight, Firefoot, and The Perky Ent around the Quiz Room and Quotable Quotes.

I also "stalk" anyone who is involved with me in the Green Dragon Inn, namely Bombadil and Alaksoron.

Wow, bummer HI...that must really stink...
Old 05-30-2004, 04:52 AM   #5
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm stalked? Wow, cool!

Well, I don't suppose I stalk anyone in particular - only everyone in the QR an QQ sections that might answer my questions or set more questions. Also people in the Green Dragon, especially Eowyn Skywalker and Mad Baggins. And I suppose I use the "Who's Online" function an awful lot.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:52 PM   #6
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Stalking-wow, what a concept. I had never really looked into it before. I shall ponder doing this maybe now that the RP I am currently in is now coming to a close.

As I sit here and type I do think about how I've stalked Angry Brandybuck-but that was to see if he would post in the Green Dragon. Now he has disappeared, leaving our little love thingie in a fix. Darn him.

I think I must agree in stalking Aman. Very very impressive RP skills that I am sure I will be watching more in the future.

I guess then that makes me a stalker as well-even though I would never bother people. Is that one of the requirements to being a stalker? Do you have to bug someone? As you can see I'm clearly new to the whole stalker idea.

Anyone can stalk me, I do not mind. Well I would if it got out of hand.... Allow me to ponder on that thought as well.

-Crystal Heart-
Old 07-20-2004, 02:48 PM   #7
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
I was suprised at the dates of this thread as the origianl one I had started was closed. I was thinking I was visiting my original which had been re-opened to I got to the firt thread and It was Heren Istarion. For a moment I wondered whether I really had started it! And of course it soon became clear that I had, but hadn't.

Discouraging bandwidth eating habits was, I believe the reason for the original closure, so as to not feel too bad about it, I decided to donate some $'s to the cause. Hopefully it was enough to cover my stalking and thgen some.

The original had some great replies so I hope it is not forever banished. Perpaps it is in the arcivish forum. H-I brilliant way around those work rules! A true hacking spirit!
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.

Last edited by lindil; 07-20-2004 at 02:52 PM.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Oh no! I'm turning more and more into a stalker!

I just checked "Who's Online" around 20 times during the 2 hours I have been online. That's all.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:14 AM   #9
Elven Hunter
Animated Skeleton

Elven Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
I just checked "Who's Online" around 20 times during the 2 hours I have been online. That's all.
I welcome you to the world of stalkers Lhunardawen..(there should be a welcoming thread for new stalkers in the downs ) haha but I admit I sometimes do that too when I get lonely in the downs.
Elven Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 07:53 PM   #10
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
I'm not such a rabid stalker anymore...now I only stalk a few members regularly: Lush, Evisse the Blue, Saraphim, Feanor of the Peredhil, and Eomer of the Rohirrim.

But the list doth grow...
Old 07-09-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
Elven Hunter
Animated Skeleton

Elven Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I could say I stalk Lhunardawen, but not in real life of course. Its because she's a close friend of mine, and I enjoy speaking with her.
Elven Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:04 PM   #12
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril Oh, no...

Please help me...not this...

If I had the time to do so, I would stalk all the members of the Nearsighted Elves Society. But I do know that Maeggaladiel is nowhere to be seen, as she is on vacation...I just don't know exactly where. You see, I am an amateur, if I am a stalker at all.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:58 AM   #13
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
BD is so huge now...

er... what is Nearsighted Elves Society? I have heard term mentioned elswhere too, but direct information would come in useful (from the stalking point of view too, maybe )

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:04 AM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

HI, I believe the Nearsighted Elves Society is just that. A society for Nearsighted Elves, no more and no less. I once posed as one such Elf in order to infiltrate the society but I was caught and beaten by 3 of the security guards and left for dead in the nearby woods.

As to the fun activity of stalking, I must confess to being a profile fiend. I constantly look at other Downers profiles for more information on them.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:15 AM   #15
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I think everybody kind of stalks their "favorite 'Downers" so to speak... I mean the people whose posts you most enjoy. Nothing sinister, of course. I've recently started stalking Eomer of the Rohirrim. His tricksy appearance being so hard to pin down, I thought to read more of his posts and see what I could learn, which brought me to THIS thread, coincidentally.

I follow Keeper of Dol Goldor around, because I've spent 16 years trying to figure out how his mind works, and I still can't figure it out. I even know where he lives! Mwahahahahaha. And his mother's maiden name. Mwahahahahahaha. Actually, the fact that he's my brother and I live with him (most of the time) and have the same mother... kind of negates the stalker-creepiness level.

As for others I follow around occasionally, The Saucepan Man, HerenIstarion, I used to follow LePetitCheaux a lot, but now we're rarely on at the same time... Once in awhile, if I see that the "Newest Member" is on, I'll follow them around and see what they get up to.

Fea

Edit: yes, Eomer, sleep easy once again, knowing that it is I, and that my sole aim is to make sure that when Biff falls asleep, you don't remove the straight jacket.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 07-13-2004 at 08:52 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up Profile Fiends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
As to the fun activity of stalking, I must confess to being a profile fiend. I constantly look at other Downers profiles for more information on them.
I do that too! And yours is a most entertaining one, by the way.

I don't really use Who's Online that much, but I do like to check out the "find more posts by [likely 'Downs member]" and peruse the snippets listed there to see if there's anything I'm interested in. It saves time opposed to combing the forums.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:28 PM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
For me it's not really any one, or specific number of people. There's more of a randomness too it, can't explain it, other then to say "boy let's see who I should stalk today." I'll just see how many people are viewing the Books Forum, Novices and Newcomers...etc, then see who is viewing it and, what thread they are viewing, so it has this randomness to it.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:02 AM   #18
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
Today I sank to the bottom

I've spent much of my day here (the longest period ever online!), and I did nothing but stalking I came upon several threads, (I mean, that interested me, I came upon lot of threads in general)

I proclaim online stalking good thing!
Old 02-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #19
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I've stalked a few people here and there. I usually only stalk people with funny posts.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #20
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
thanks HI for giving me another good reason to spend even more time here! I havent tried my hand at the RP stuff here - me scared... I agree its fun to read BDr's profiles. So many young'ns eeeek

just to add a complimentary note though: i have been checking out the photo thread of some BDr's and I must say that Tolkien geeks have come a long way! OMG in my day there was nothing but red eyed pimply faced dorks hovering around the D&D table. fun but lonely....

Last edited by drigel; 02-04-2005 at 09:09 AM.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #21
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Another good old thread.

Helen wasn't the original incarnation of this thread yours? You've always been the number one stalker on the Downs, methinks. Although after this list hits, I may be number 2. *blush*

I will admit to stalking davem, Saucy, littlemanpoet and Fordim through the Books forum. I also look out for Lhunardawen.

In the Quiz room I follow Firefoot, Nilpaurion, and Lindolirian.

In the RPGs I stalk players in my game-to-be mercilessly: littlemanpoet, alaklondewen, Regin Hardhammer, Meneltarmacil, Himaran, Nilpaurion - again!, and (my startlingly talented younger brother) TomBrady12. Also Child and Pio.

In Mirth I look up and take notice if Saucy, Boromir88 or Eomer of the Rohirrim have been talking, and of course if BW pipes up. He's interesting even when closing rogue threads.

And the man to watch in the Barrow-Downs is the immortal HerenIstarion himself.

And when I'm bored or looking for good old threads... I also stalk the spiders.

*gasps* I'm a stalkaholic!

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote