The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2005, 05:24 AM   #1
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Contradicive statement

Hi.
I dont know if the thread-title is fitting, but the idea is to come up with a confusing statement + a question.

For exsampel:
Statement: My name is Haldir, but Rumil is not my brother!
Question: What was my fathers name?
Answer: Halmir

------------------------------------------------------------

Statement: My name is Barahir, but niether Beren or Dior was my son!
Question: Who was my grand father?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Faramir!

Sounds like this could get interesting...
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Yep Faramir is correct, his grandson Barahir was accounted as the one that wrote the latter part of the tale of Aragorn and Arwen.

You're up Perky
Old 09-23-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

Let me see if I can do this...

Statement: My name is Elendil, but Isildur is not my son
Question: Who are my cousins?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Excellent question Perky!

Your cousins are: Yávien, Oromendil and Axantur. The latter being the Great Grand father of Hallacar, who married Tar-Ancalime.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Indeed! Back to you, Telchar!
Old 09-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #7
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Statement: Aragorn is my son, but I am not Arathorn
Question: WHATS MY NAME????
Old 09-24-2005, 12:54 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Gilraen! (If it's not the father, it has to be the mother...)

[Hi there, Telchar! Nice to encounter you here! Intriguing thread idea!]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:37 AM   #9
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Interesting thread indeed

Or maybe Aravir, father to Aragorn I

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

You are of course both correct, Esty was first!

HI Esty, wassup?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #11
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
How about this one?

Faramir is my grandson, but I am not Ecthelion. Who is my nephew?

(Busy as always, Telch - both on- and offline!)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 09-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #12
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Could it be Meriadoc?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Applause!! Very well done, Perky! Take it away...
Old 09-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #14
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Thanks Esty!

Statement: Voronwë is my name, but I am not of Gondor
Question: What is my surname?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:26 AM   #15
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Do you mean Tréowine in the Notion Club Papers (HoME IX)?

There is a Voronwë of Gondolin, but I haven't been able to find a surname for him.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #16
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Hehe No I don't mean Tréowine in the Notion Club Papers (HoME IX)?

And as for Voronwe of Gondolin, look harder
Old 09-24-2005, 01:10 PM   #17
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I have found alternate names for Voronwë: Bronweg and Bronwë. That's all so far - no surname(s). If those aren't what you're looking for, could you please give a clue as to where to search?
Old 09-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #18
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Snope, and Snope

As for hints, I got it from one of my many resources, so if you want the link I can give it to you, if not, i'll just have to wait
Old 09-24-2005, 01:17 PM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I do hope it's not a game invention or something like that!! It does need to be canonical Tolkien (i.e. book source) to be valid.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:19 PM   #20
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

It is a book resource, but since you are so persistant, consider looking in the chapter concering Tuor and Gondolin
Old 09-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #21
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Eureka! I was just doing exactly that, and I found it! It's Aranwion.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:22 PM   #22
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Correctamundo! I proudly yield the thread to you!
Old 09-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #23
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

My name is Fastred, but I am not of Rohan.
Whom did I marry?
Old 09-24-2005, 01:34 PM   #24
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Why that woudl be Elanore, the daughter of Samwise
Old 09-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #25
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes indeed! It's all yours...
Old 09-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #26
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Mwa ha ha ha ha!

My name is Ruby, but Drogo is not my son
Who is my youngest uncle?
Old 09-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #27
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It's Carl Cotton, also known as "Nibs".
Old 09-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #28
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Thumbs up Correctamundo!

'Tis indeed! Your turn
Old 09-25-2005, 10:05 AM   #29
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

My first name is the same as one of Frodo's friends', but I am not a Hobbit.
Whose travelling companion am I?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:15 AM   #30
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

A wild guess would be that you name was Strider and that you were Frodos travelling companion, but also that you were a pony
Old 09-26-2005, 07:54 AM   #31
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The latter part of your guess is coming pretty close to the solution, Telch, but try a different friend's name...
Old 09-26-2005, 08:38 AM   #32
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pony up

Bill?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:43 AM   #33
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Nope - Frodo didn't have a friend named Bill!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #34
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Ol' apple-chucker Ferny doesn't count as a pal then, eh? Tsk.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #35
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Ah, right. Tom's pony Fatty Lumpkin. (Mr Bolger being his 'alter ego').
Old 09-26-2005, 08:58 AM   #36
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

And the answer to the question is?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:01 AM   #37
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Tom B, I presume. Or am I missing the point?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:10 AM   #38
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, that's what I was looking for. Sorry, but the complicated (convuluted, even!) manner of the questions here required me to be precise (picky, even). Your turn!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #39
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

My name is Nimloth, although I am no tree.
Who was my uncle then?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:20 PM   #40
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Celeborn.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote