The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2004, 08:07 PM   #81
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

*still waiting patiently* I'm kind of glad that I have school & all of my other activities to keep me busy. I haven't been thinking about the EE recently, because of grades & prom & all kinds of other problems...

I can't wait for it to come out, but I probably won't get it 'til Christmas anyway, because I have no money, and I have to save for college. I really would like to see more of Eomer & Eowyn. But now that I think of it, I'm glad stuff like Tom Bombadil got left out. I can keep my own image of that without movie images getting in the way.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:08 PM   #82
airetari

airetari has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Rotk Ee

things that I no will certainly be in the ROTK EE: merry pleding allegiance to rohan, and some thing to do w/ arwen and elrond ( ya i no didnt she get enough screen time already?) when the could be focusing on more important things like THE SCOURING OF THE SHIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! come on PJ wat was up w/ that? he better put that in the EE or im gonna spaz! houses of healing is a definite must and legolas singing his little To the sea! to the sea1 song ( you no that whole part) otherwise i shall be very put out1
airetari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:30 PM   #83
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Do not set yourself up for the Scouring, because it won't be there. I doubt Legolas's song about the sea will be there either. Perhaps we can just work on expecting little more, and be surprised by what we get. Does anyone agree with me that it does not befit Legolas to drink??
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:07 PM   #84
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Yeah, well I hope Gimli drinks him under the table! Someone needs to set that "elf" up for some humiliation.

Quote:
Does anyone agree with me that it does not befit Legolas to drink??
Is it wrong for a stuntspiece to get drunk? That's all he ended up being. *sob*

Anyway, the Lack of the Scouring is one of the first facts I heard waaaaaay back in the beginning.

Although, I read that they filmed three deaths for Saruman, one on the RSWD, one other, and in the Shire. Dunno if that's wishful thinking or what.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:40 AM   #85
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I thought it was odd that Legolas was the picture on the April 1 page on my "page a day" 2004 calendar. Last year, it was Saruman....an excellent choice for an "April Fool", but Legolas......? (He is on horseback, with his sword drawn, in a sea of uruks. )
Old 04-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #86
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Yeah, well I hope Gimli drinks him under the table! Someone needs to set that "elf" up for some humiliation.
Definitely. Those elves are too dang uppity; someone needs to keep them in their place! Although Sala (Sauron) did get in a good shot when he head-butted Orlando that time at a pub. V. v. funny.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 04-02-2004, 05:32 PM   #87
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What's with all the anti-Elf sentiments? Perhaps you should start a new thread!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 04-05-2004, 01:13 PM   #88
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I think that the elves were a bunch of 'holier than thou' lot, and pretty nasty at times to boot! The only way I can quantify my statement is to say read the Silmarillion, espscially the Kin Slaying.... But I don't think I'll start a thread up as it could get nasty!!!!!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:53 PM   #89
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What about this song, Use Well The Days? It's in my sister's newly-acquired RotK sheet music book, and it IS a new song. Do you think it will be performed in the EE?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:16 AM   #90
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Uuuuuuuuse welllllllll the daaaaayyyyyyyyys....

It was an alternate credits song, it should be somewhere in the EE.

Many thousand thanks to mark12_30 you can download the song here.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:28 AM   #91
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
In the Return of the King, when Pippin successfully lights the beacon of Minas Tirith, it shows a parting glance at Denethor peeking out from what one could deem his secret 'high chamber of the tower'. I just noticed that the shiny black carvings around him are really pretty reminscent of the inside of Isengard. I have no idea where they would be able to place a scene revealing the Palantir of Minas Tirith, but that glimpse of that room certainly indicates that some mention of Denethor's secretive side was filmed.

Other than that, I have 4.5 words describing the EE scenes I can't wait for;

The Witch-King of Angmar
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #92
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I'm looking foward to the Houses of Healing.
starkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #93
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I couldn't read all these posts through so I don't know if someone has already posted this... but looks like we are getting our House of Healing
Clicky!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #94
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Are there any copyright issues with downloading Use Well the Days? I would like to download it, but not if it's possibly illegal. Does anyone know?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:11 PM   #95
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I don't know. Perhaps I could record my sister playing it on piano, and then send you the clip! We could just send it note by note, so that there's no way they could prosecute us. You could purchase the music book from Amazon.com, or perhaps just wait for the EE? My sister submitted the lyrics to TheOneRing.net, but they've been particularly unhelpful when it comes to using news that either I or my sister have sent.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:53 AM   #96
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I haven´t had time to think about EE a lot since I am on an exchange for two months in Spain and my acces to a computer is rather limited. However one day I was homesick for my LOTR things that I had left at home. I left my book because I wanted to keep it neat and now I miss the book plus the barrow downs. This is the first time I have visited BD in a month. But maybe it is better this way cause I am distracted and not getting too hyped about the EE.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:26 PM   #97
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Beinvenitos, Lathriel! Como esta en Spain?
Old 04-16-2004, 05:12 AM   #98
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Muy Bien. Y tu ?
Spain is so awesome although sadly I have not met a Spanish person who is as crazy about LOTR as me. Or wait a minute... the cousin of my exchange partner loves LOTR too and he has both the DVD´s I should go over to his house and watch them sometime even though he lives half an hour away from where I live. Oh well.

P.S Spanish parties rock. Now I am actually of legal drinking age too. Although when I come back home I will have to wait for another year
Old 04-27-2004, 11:35 AM   #99
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

So, do we have a date for when the EV comes out? I've heard sometime in July, but I don't know if that's certain. Anyone else have any info?

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 04-27-2004, 11:45 AM   #100
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
I don't think it'll be untill November - have to make due with the theatrical version coming out May 25th untill then, I'm afraid.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:38 PM   #101
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

These are a few items I wrote out to discuss on the EE:

EE material:

Houses of Healing (Faramir, Éowyn....Merry??)

Aragorn exiting the Paths of the Dead?

Aragorn approaching the throne of Gondor

Mouth of Sauron – Showing them the tokens of Frodo, despairing for Frodo, killing the Mouth (Aragorn)

First attempt to break gate with small battering ram (video game clip)

Witchking confrontation (loses staff?!)

Éomer finding Éowyn on fields...crying

Merry getting wounded at Morannan battle

Pelennor fields – Aragorn and Gimli combining to combat ugly-faced orc commander

Pelennor fields – Éowyn fighting more orcs

Aragorn using Palantír, or at least holding it (“He has gone unchallenged long enough”)

Sam passing the Watchers (?)

More with Frodo and Sam, orc-armor. (Getting caught up in the army of other orcs?) Later removing armor

Short on time, so I can't discuss them all now, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling in talking about them.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #102
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Arg! You people are making me so excited about the Extended Edition! I'm hoping for the HoH, the Scouring (yes, I know it won't happen, but hey! You never know), more Faramir and Eowyn...et cetera. Bloopers would be lovely.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:58 AM   #103
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril EE material

Knight, I would add to your list of possible EE material the confrontation with Saruman at Isengard (which we have been promised) and also the confrontation with the Corsairs at Pelargir (as I believe that more Corsair material was filmed). Any possibility of the Druadan making an appearance, I wonder. I know that Ghan-buri-Ghan appeared on some early cast lists, but I'm not sure that any material in this regard was actually filmed.

Oh and, of course, hand-in-hand with the Houses of Helaing scenes goes Eowyn and Faramir's romance.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:31 AM   #104
Marared

Narya

In TTT extended edition, Galadriel makes a point to tell Frodo that the keeper of the third elf ring "is to be revealed". In ROTK that is never really revealed. The end scene shows Gandalf wearing the ring, but nothing is ever said about it. I saw ROTK the other day for the third time and noticed a strange camera shot of Galadriel in that same ending scene. She had a strange look on her face as if she had just said something that we, the audience, missed. I wonder if Gandalf as the third ring bearer gets mentioned here.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:24 PM   #105
starkat
Wight

Shield

Now ya'll have me all wound up again! I am soooo looking foward to the EE! I've preordered the theatrical version so I will have something to watch until the EE comes out.
I like the list Knight of Gondor. You've listed alot of what I'm hoping to see in the EE.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #106
Pippinn

Sting

If I'm not mistaken, Gandalf did possess a ring of power, though I don't know what it was. Perhaps he was given the last elven ring of power for safe keeping, because they show all three original elven ringbearers in the opening of FOTR.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:08 PM   #107
starkat
Wight

Gandalf was given the third ring by Cirdain (sp?) the shipwright. I remember the look on Galadriel's face. Doesn't Gandalf talk about having the third ring in the book at the Grey Havens?
I was watching the TTT theatrical 2nd DVD and noticed footage of Aragorn approaching the seat in the hall at Minas Tirith. If it does make it into the RotK EE where do you think they'll add it?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #108
Pippinn

1420!

-smacks her head- Yes! Gandalf does speak of possesing a ring of Power in the book. I forgot that the shipwright Cirdain gave him the ring. I can't recall which ring it was, though...
Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 PM   #109
Marared

"As he turned and came towards them Frodo saw that Gandalf now wore openly on his hand the Third Ring, Narya the Great, and the stone upon it was red as fire"
Old 04-29-2004, 05:20 PM   #110
starkat
Wight

Thank you! I knew Galadriel's ring was Nenya, but I couldn't remember if Gandalf's was Narya. I knew it was the ring of fire though.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:24 PM   #111
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

The book mentions it, but it doesn't include any conversations about it. So I don't think there would be any need for them to bring it up again. The average viewer would totally forget all about the three Elven rings that were mentioned in the prologue.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:15 AM   #112
starkat
Wight

I beg to differ about the average viewer forgetting. I went to see RotK with a younger of mine, who hadn't read the books, and after we left the theater I mentioned something about the ring on Gandalf's hand in the movie. I was curious to see if she had noticed it. She said she wondered about where it came from.

Added at 1:22pm:
I just dropped in on TORn to see what I could see and they had an interview with a New Line executive. One of the questions was possible RotK EE scenes...the Mouth of Sauron, Sarumon after the flooding of Isengard, and an expansion of Faramir's story were listed as being added.

Last edited by starkat; 04-30-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:10 PM   #113
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Don't everyone visit this website at once, but all sorts of my ideas were confirmed in this link, which I have yet to explore in depth yet.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:27 PM   #114
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
The giving of the ring of fire to Gandalf is surely mentioned in the appendices of the books - it's even mentioned that Cirdan (or Kirdan, as it's sometime spelled) says to Gandalf something to the extend of "that he's giving him the ring in the hope of Gandalf being able to once again light a fire in the hearts of people in a world that's growing cold..."
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:11 AM   #115
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but the part of the book I want to see in the EE the most is the tale of the years after the Ringbearers have departed West.

But listening to Frodo's narration at the end of the film for the umpteenth time, I have now realised that Sam will not be following Frodo in the movie version.

Frodo implicitally states that the ship they are on is the LAST ship to depart for the West. ie, in Jackson's version, Sam does not follow Frodo, and this makes me VERY sad!

PS This is obviously why we had Celeborn on the ship as well........in the book he stays in lothlorien a while before he departs. But in Mr Jackson's version, he needs to take the last bus home!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:58 AM   #116
starkat
Wight

I don't remember where I heard it, but supposedly they are supposed to be redoing the ending a little. I think it was to make it a little smoother. I don't know for sure.

? Maybe some kind of flash foward in time during Frodo's voice over? (My idea)
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
Old 05-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #117
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Narya

Well I am back from Spain, now I am getting excited for the EE since it is the next thing tp look forward too afetr the theatrical version comes out and my birthday has passed.

Some LOTR things in Spain, when I left the local video rental place had lots of posters in the indow but they didn't sell them! Anyway bought the Spanish version of FOTR, saw a pirated copy of ROTK in Spanish. Gollum's voice is so weird. This all kept me from not getting too excited about the EE until I came back.

However now I am getting more excited since I saw some pics of the EE on that German website.

I can't get my spanish partner to read LOTR but I think that if she did she would really like it.

Last edited by Lathriel; 05-21-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Lathriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 09:35 AM   #118
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
Mouth of Sauron – Showing them the tokens of Frodo, despairing for Frodo, killing the Mouth (Aragorn)
Indeed it is. Maybe that was the "Aragorn fighting Sauron" bit that everyone was getting so worked up about before?

Quote:
More with Frodo and Sam, orc-armor. (Getting caught up in the army of other orcs?)
Yep, that's in. If you have the Visual Companion, there is a two-page section on it. Usually, if something is in the VC, and it wasn't in theaters, it will be in the EV. This is how I discovered that the Huorns would indeed make their appearance at Helm's Deep: a mention of it in the VC.

Quote:
Sam passing the Watchers
This is mentioned in the VC as well.

Quote:
Aragorn using Palantír, or at least holding it
Yep. Remember the dream Aragorn has at Dunharrow, just before he goes to see Elrond? That's what he sees in the Palantir. This is mentioned in the VC.

And, to all the Brandybuck fans, there are supposed to be quite a few new Merry scenes (something like 12) in the EV. Most lofty.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 05-23-2004, 03:16 AM   #119
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

(Wow, I havn't been on here in an age.... I've missed this place!)

I can hardly bring myself to think about ROTK Extended because I start hyperventilating from the excitement. This is going to be the best movie EVER, period!
The Eowyn and Faramir thing is one of the top things that I can't wait to see. I really hope that they show more with them I absolutely love that part, it was so beautiful.
But there are just so many things I want to see though, so to make it easy on myself I'm just going to say "ditto" to everything formally mentioned. Any extra Merry scenes I willl particulary treasure.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:35 PM   #120
Marared

Pardon my ignorance, but where do the visual companions come from, and how does one aquire them?