The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2006, 05:52 AM   #201
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Question

did you have your personal forum clock settings changed? most forums have a option that lets you pick your timezone.
have a look in your cp area under edit options
Date & Time Options
Quote:
Time ZoneAll timestamps displayed on the forums can be automatically corrected to show the correct time for your location in the world. Simply select the appropriate time zone from the list below.

(GMT -12:00) Eniwetok, Kwajalein (GMT -11:00) Midway Island, Samoa (GMT -10:00) Hawaii (GMT -9:00) Alaska (GMT -8:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (GMT -7:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada) (GMT -6:00) Central Time (US & Canada), Mexico City (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), Bogota, Lima (GMT -4:00) Atlantic Time (Canada), Caracas, La Paz (GMT -3:30) Newfoundland (GMT -3:00) Brazil, Buenos Aires, Georgetown (GMT -2:00) Mid-Atlantic (GMT -1:00 hour) Azores, Cape Verde Islands (GMT) Western Europe Time, London, Lisbon, Casablanca (GMT +1:00 hour) Brussels, Copenhagen, Madrid, Paris (GMT +2:00) Kaliningrad, South Africa (GMT +3:00) Baghdad, Riyadh, Moscow, St. Petersburg (GMT +3:30) Tehran (GMT +4:00) Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Baku, Tbilisi (GMT +4:30) Kabul (GMT +5:00) Ekaterinburg, Islamabad, Karachi, Tashkent (GMT +5:30) Bombay, Calcutta, Madras, New Delhi (GMT +6:00) Almaty, Dhaka, Colombo (GMT +7:00) Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta (GMT +8:00) Beijing, Perth, Singapore, Hong Kong (GMT +9:00) Tokyo, Seoul, Osaka, Sapporo, Yakutsk (GMT +9:30) Adelaide, Darwin (GMT +10:00) Eastern Australia, Guam, Vladivostok (GMT +11:00) Magadan, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia (GMT +12:00) Auckland, Wellington, Fiji, Kamchatka Time Zone:

In addition, you may set the appropriate option to allow for daylight savings time in your part of the world.

Automatically detect DST settings DST corrections always on DST corrections always off DST Correction Option:

Last edited by Alkanoonion; 12-12-2006 at 05:57 AM.
Alkanoonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:39 AM   #202
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
For example, the time stamp of this post shows 12:16 PM while the computer clock and my telephone clock tell me it's around 01:08 PM. So the clock is about 50 minutes late.

What's the problem? And, am I the only one?
That sounds weird. If the problem would be one hour, two hours or anything like that it might be like Alkanoonion suggested. But 52 minutes is odd. Although I checked mine and it was two minutes off... So maybe 8 minutes off and the daylight savings not clicked?

But how to mend that?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:04 AM   #203
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Until about 5 minutes ago, my clock was off by 32 minutes. Now it's off by 3 minutes. I'd never had that problem until today and haven't changed any settings. Very strange.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:56 AM   #204
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dűm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien Internet is making me young again!

Thinlómien you are not the only one. I too am having "time trouble", it was like that lst night with me, and the early morning of today. Though I must say I was quite enjoying being 52 minutes younger!
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #205
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Now it seems to be 19 minutes off the track.

So there is something wrong there, moving forwards and backwards, definitively...

Can something be done to it?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #206
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
The clock here is off by roughly 20 minutes....I thought it was my computer clock that was wrong and there was no rush to get ready for work. Then I checked my cell phone and I realized there was a rush!
Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #207
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ah, I thought there was something strange going on last night when I checked Who's Online and noticed no member had been active for the last half hour. The BD clock reads 4:49pm, when in fact it is 5:12.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #208
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
The times they are a-changin'...

Mine is now off by 22 minutes. There's something wrong in the fabric of the space-time continuum, I tell you!

*clicks refresh to see how far off the clock is now*
Old 12-13-2006, 02:12 AM   #209
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay, now it's 46 minutes.

What's happening?!?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #210
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Now that you mention it... the clock here seems to be 52 minutes off the mark. I wouldn't mention it, but someone else had had the same difference, so it's quite interesting. Perhaps the "main" clock, from where the BD calculates the time for the time-stamps is having some problems? I'm guessing that'd have nothing to do with the 'downs itself but rather some Internet glitch.

Edit: As I posted this, the difference between the actual time and the BD clock was reduced to 10 minutes. Odd, huh?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #211
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Probably the server where the forum resides has a problem with its clock. I'll send tech support a note if the problem persists.

*EDIT* Shows as 15 minutes early for me. Weird.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #212
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Just want to see if it's happening with me...

EDIT Yep, 16 minutes slow. That really is weird. Why would the clock be out of calibration by a different amount for different people?? If there's something screwy with the server then it would apply uniformly, would it not?
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:12 AM   #213
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Why would the clock be out of calibration by a different amount for different people??
I'm not sure it is. It seems like the difference is just changing all the time. For me the clock is 45 minutes too early right now and the last time I looked yesterday it was 23.

The world is steering into chaos!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:22 AM   #214
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Perhaps the problem has been fixed. The clock is only off one minute for me now...

EDIT: Wait a minute...now it's just right on. (Pun not intended)
Old 12-15-2006, 01:18 AM   #215
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It's still 40 minutes late for me.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:02 AM   #216
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Well, I suppose my post from last night should be cancelled out...while it was working before, it is now 42 minutes slow again. *sigh* I should really stop worrying about this...it's not like I use computer clocks anyways...
Old 12-16-2006, 12:51 AM   #217
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Well it looks like the time flux has finally hit my neck of the woods. It's 45mins out!! Yikes
Old 12-17-2006, 01:55 AM   #218
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

I am very confused right now. The BD clock is exactly an hour behind the actual time. I thought perhaps my settings were off, but I checked and I'm set to the correct time zone.

I suppose this is just a continuence of the messed up clock? But strange that it is precisely an hour off...
Old 12-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #219
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

The clock is showing the correct time for me!

edit: or two minutes too early, but the fault might be with this school computer's clock
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #220
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Question The time is out of joint!

I think the calendar is broken. It seems to show December 2006, but not January 2007. Just thought I'd bring it to your attention because, well, we all need to know when Birthdays are coming up.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #221
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Don't know what's going on with the clock, but you should be able to view January 2007 now.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:09 AM   #222
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

The clock seems to be back to normal. Yay!
Old 08-04-2007, 02:47 AM   #223
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
The rep buttons never seem to be working
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #224
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I right-click on the rep icon and open it in a new tab/window and that seems to work, Elmo.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #225
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo
The rep buttons never seem to be working
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
I right-click on the rep icon and open it in a new tab/window and that seems to work, Elmo.
... or you could try right clicking and selecting Open Link, which works for me.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #226
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

SInce I'm using a mac at the moment, I have to hold control to that but both ways work. Cheers guys!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #227
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Question

I don't think this is the right place to post this, but I don't know what is, so I'll just ask this here.

Where have Esty and Child's personal titles gone? Why are they Ghost Princes of Cardolan? Is this some kind of error, or deliberate?

-A Curious 'Downer
Old 09-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #228
AragornII
Wight

AragornII has just left Hobbiton.
What's up with everyone having only one green box under their number of posts? Is that for a reason?
The crownless again shall be king.
AragornII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:39 AM   #229
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

AragornII, see this thread.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #230
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

While Today's Birthdays seems to be working fine, the calendar is stuck on year 2007. Just if you mods weren't aware of this problem.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #231
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thanks, Thinlómien. The calendar has been fixed.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #232
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Great.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #233
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Has anyone else had trouble arranging their signature? I haven't been able get to three lines, although I know that I haven't gone over the character limit or line length. I wonder if the empty spaces left over from copying and pasting are collecting and clogging? Though I do try to clean those out every time.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #234
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Palantir-Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Has anyone else had trouble arranging their signature? I haven't been able get to three lines, although I know that I haven't gone over the character limit or line length. I wonder if the empty spaces left over from copying and pasting are collecting and clogging? Though I do try to clean those out every time.
I think it counts links into the character limit, so it fills up quite quickly, if you have lots of them.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #235
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Yes, I had similar problem. Don't you use the tags like "right" or "center" often? They count as a new line always. But yes, definitely there are certain moments when the program counts the lines as more than they actually are. To be precise: it happened to me while posting this:

text A[TAG RIGHT]text B
text C[END TAG RIGHT]

Now the tag "right" in itself creates a new line and the program rightly counts it. All the texts (A, B, C) are shorter than one line, I checked it and 100% there is no problem in it. It should look like this:

text A
text B (in the right corner)
text C (in the right corner)

However, it says that it is more than three lines. But when I do for example this:

text A
text B
[TAG RIGHT]text C[END TAG RIGHT]

therefore, a thing that looks like

text A
text B
text C (in the right corner)

it does not write any alert message to me. It seems illogical.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:05 AM   #236
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

I'm having the same problems with my siggy. I'm trying to create a new one; it's only three lines (no tags or anything), but I still get a notice that it's more. I think it's because in the text box where you type the signature it is four lines, but that's just silly because the text box is much smaller and it would only be three lines on the forum...
Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #237
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
I think it's because in the text box where you type the signature it is four lines, but that's just silly because the text box is much smaller and it would only be three lines on the forum...
Oh, you think it really is that silly? I thought it counts characters (it indeed does) and it knows how many characters make a line, and it does not depend on how big the textbox is. After all, the size of the window may be different... ???
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 AM   #238
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Well, I didn't really think I had that many characters in my signature...showing up on the forum, each line is fairly short in length.

But I did manage to figure it out. I had to merge the last two lines into one line, then align left the last line so that it would appear as three separate lines. Very odd...but at least it worked.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #239
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have a rather silly question. I noticed my little reputation thing and thought to myself "you should give some kudos to some of the other WW players, as they did a spectacular job, etc., etc." So I tried. But it won't let me go to it. I wondered if it was my IE acting up, so I tried Firefox, but still to no avail. Somehow I managed to get to Noggie's (don't ask me how I did that) but I keep getting some error. I know it's really not that big of a deal, but it irks me that it won't work. Any suggestions?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #240
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Right-click on it and tell it to open in a new browser or new tab.