The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sting The Sea-Stone Sword

Dear Barrow Downers,

Some of you may be aware that I, Hookbill the Goomba, have written a book and it is getting published this year. Legitimately published by an actual publisher that has actual people in it and there will be actual physical copies that you can hold in your actual hands. And there will be digital copies you can hold in your digital hands, too.
Anyway, the book has been a long time coming and I can definitely say that I would never have finished it without The Barrow Downs, and specifically the community that has grown here. Some of you are people I would legitimately consider some of my best friends and this website has been the source of so much inspiration, encouragement, and enjoyment over the years.
As such, the book will have the dedication;

Quote:
For the Barrow Downers
Because you all helped me make it happen. There were people like Aganzir, Thinlomine, Volo, Encaitare, and Kath who read early drafts and gave me detailed critiques that helped shape it and make it so much better.
Then there's the website as a whole. This place is my internet home, almost. Even though I don't comment and post as much as I should, it still feels like a welcoming and beautiful place to come and visit. Everyone here has helped me become a better person, and a better writer. I hope to improve even more over the years to come.
From Mount Zoom, The Downer Newspaper, the Phantom and Alien, and all the Crazy Captions, I hope my ridiculous contributions to this site haven't been too much of an annoyance on you all. Thank you all so, so much for being here for me.

Now for shameless plugging!

The book is called The Sea-Stone Sword.
It is being published by Kristell-Ink, an imprint of Grimbold Books.
The release date is the 21st of June 2014, and there will be a launch party in Oxford to celebrate. (If at least 30 people sign up to come, then Waterstones will let me do a signing there, too!) This will also involve drinks at the Eagle and Child, or Lamb and Flag, depending on numbers and preferences.

It can be pre-ordered RIGHT NOW! For UK people, you can get it from Waterstones, Blackwells, and Amazon.
International people can go to Book Depository, who will ship it world-wide FOR FREE!

Thank you all again for everything the Barrow Downs has meant to me. And to The Barrow Wight Himself... I am sorry for all the stories in the newspaper. BUT THE PEOPLE DESERVED TO HEAR THE TRUTH!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

You rock dude! So happy for you, and can't wait to read it! Also glad I saw this to know the Book Depository shipped for free to Canada, totally pre-ordered this morning from Waterstones and paid the 30 bucks in shipping Fixed it now though, haha.

CONGRATS!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sweet of you, Hooky, to acknowledge this place. I will be at the book launch if there's a skype component. If I order a copy from Book Depository, will it come with your signature? Or will I have to bring the book to an Oxonmoot where you can sign it?

And I'm thrilled for you! Congratulations. And keep writing,you mad Dead Whovian.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
If I order a copy from Book Depository, will it come with your signature? Or will I have to bring the book to an Oxonmoot where you can sign it?
Ah, 'fraid not. You'll have to bring it across the pond and shove it under my nose.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Aww.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Congratulations, Hook!

We are all quite proud that one of our fledgling wights has flown the coop...or in this case the Barrow. Good luck to you and the book.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well done, Hookbill! I'll have to have the physical tree-killing edition, of course. I don't hold with reading digitalmongery, whether it reads well or no.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Congrats Hook! That's wonderful news. Wish you luck with the last editing bits and publishing stuff. That's so cool!!! *Eagerly awaiting the final product*
Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #9
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Congratulations, Hookbill!
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Excellent news!

That's excellent news, Hookbill! Congratulations on the publication. If you're coming to the Oxonmoot, you'll find Downers and non-Downers with copies for you to sign...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Congratulations!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:38 AM   #12
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Congratulations and way to go Goomba! May it be a good read, and I'll get one should it be available here in Oz.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 AM   #13
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Wow congrats! Thats an amazing achievement!!!
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Belated congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
and there will be actual physical copies that you can hold in your actual hands.
I am happy to hear that it will enable me to actually read your book!
Old 06-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

So, hello again peoples!

I got my author copies of The Sea-Stone Sword and thought I'd share it with you!

And also the wonderful dedication page...

Thank you all for being such a supportive and friendly community! I love you all deeply and would give you all a hug if I could
Old 06-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #16
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Congrates, and good luck for your book!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #17
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Congratulations!!! That's amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
And also the wonderful dedication page...

Hook, you're so adorable!... That is so cute! *sniff* Now I think every single person here owes it to read your book, no excuses. :-) And sometime in the unforseeable future, I am coming over to the You-Kay and getting your signature on the inside of the cover.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

So, the book is out as of yesterday! I had a wonderful time in Oxford, visiting the professor's old haunts and seeing Barrow Downers!
There is a video of the presentation I gave if anybody is interested in it...

HERE

Also, if you want further Barrow Downs related publications, I also wrote a companion piece to The Sea-Stone Sword; it's a short story that has a character called Lomi Thinlomine. CAN YOU GUESS WHO SHE WAS INSPIRED BY? She is also a creature called a 'Peng'. So very subtle!
It's called The Spire of Frozen Fire and is 77p.

I hope the admins don't kick me off for this kind of advertising malarky! But in my defense, the Downs is advertised in the book, so I think that makes us even!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #19
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

I too wish to extend belated congratulations on your accomplishment.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 AM   #20
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I too wish to extend belated congratulations on your accomplishment.
Thanks.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #21
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've happily ordered my copy. I'll read it soon, as long as you don't mind me finishing up On The Road before I start your book, Hookbill. How exciting!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

I got my copy today and I'm very excited!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #23
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Sting

Hello groovy people!

If you're interested, I got invited to give a talk at Royal Holloway University London. There to talk about Tolkien and the inspiration behind The Sea-Stone Sword. I gave the Barrow Downs a name-check, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP_B...lMFcPXw3L2cKIp

It's in part 2 or 3 I mention the Downs, I think? I could be wrong. But, yes. You guys are the best peoples.