The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #161
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Ahhh...the magic cookies! That would make perfect sense. I only wish I could remember if I had checked it previously, then I would know for certain. But alas, it was too early in the morning for my mind that to accept that particular cookie!

Many thanks Mr. HerenIstarion!

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 02-01-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:27 AM   #162
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
A minor point and not of much importance.

When I quote
Quote:
thusly
the quoted text becomes italicised. Any way to stop this?

EDIT: Well, that's just odd. Usually it decides to become italic. Any explanations?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #163
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Hmmmm . . . let's see . . .

Quote:

When I quote the quoted text becomes italicised. Any way to stop this?

EDIT: Well, that's just odd. Usually it decides to become italic. Any explanations?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short

When I quote the quoted text becomes italicised. Any way to stop this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a different set of instructions/tags for the 2 types of quoting.

The first example has the quotes between these two: [Q UOTE] [/QUOTE]

(with the 'Q' of course, not followed by a space.)

And in the second the quote is being referenced: [Q UOTE=the guy who be short] [/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't want your quote italicised, copy and paste it between the first set of tags above.

You can use the 'quote' icon above the 'Reply to Thread' box . . . or just type out the tags yourself.

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-03-2005 at 09:29 AM.
piosenniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #164
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Leaf

Well, this isn't really a question, but more of a feeble request: Is there any way with 3.0 to have more than 20 PM's per inbox? I'm getting around ten a day, and I'm spending around 15 minutes cleaning my PM box every day. It's starting to get on my nerves, but that's what I get for sending them out so much, I guess. I can make due with 20 as I fear I must, but is there any chance of upping the number?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:33 AM   #165
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
Is there any way... to have more than 20 PM's per inbox?
No, at least not anytime soon. The cap of 20 was set intentionally to encourage public discussion rather than private talks. At one time we had almost as much traffic in PMs as we did in regular posts, so we were forced to put a limit on it. Though we understand that people want to occasionally communicate on a more personal basis, bandwidth isn't free, and there's always e-mail.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 AM   #166
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I've been wondering... Is the ability to create polls an exclusive option? I've looked for it, but cannot see it. So does this mean that I cannot make a poll, or that I am just blind?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #167
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Yes, the creation of polls is limited - if you can see the option, you can start one.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #168
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Yes, the creation of polls is limited - if you can see the option, you can start one.
I'm just curious, but how is that limited? F.g. there can only be x many active poll threads at time/only certain members can post polls/ something else?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:01 AM   #169
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Only a limited number of members can start polls. It's rather obvious that Fordim Hedgethistle and HerenIstarion belong to those, isn't it?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #170
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It is
But who are they classified?
I'm not sure but I think that I was able to, at one point.
Is it who the mods think worthy of creating polls?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #171
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

It isn't the mods who control that kind of thing. It is the Administrators, or likely just the mighty Barrow Wighty himself.

I wonder if Fordim offerred Wight his newborns for the option? Would HI have promised him his?

Last edited by Bêthberry; 01-25-2006 at 02:33 PM. Reason: didn't fit to a t. ;)
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #172
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
It isn't the mods who control that kind of thing. It is the Administrators, or likely just the mighty Barrow Wighty himself.
Okay, now I've got a question. I know that they are grouped differently on the View Fourum Leaders page, but what exactly is the difference between mods and admins? I mean, other than administrators have their names in italics.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:17 AM   #173
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Moderators are responsible for a particular area of the forum; they may have just one sub-forum or forum in which they keep an eye on things, or several. Administrators are responsible for the general policy of the whole forum and have powers that moderators do not, as well as being able to step in anywhere as a moderator if needed.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #174
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Moderators are responsible for a particular area of the forum; they may have just one sub-forum or forum in which they keep an eye on things, or several. Administrators are responsible for the general policy of the whole forum and have powers that moderators do not, as well as being able to step in anywhere as a moderator if needed.
Sorry if I've caused mess with this, I always mix up admins and mods...
Old 01-29-2006, 06:47 AM   #175
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Sorry, can't resist . . .

Quote:
I wonder if Fordim offerred Wight his newborns for the option [of creating polls]? (Bb)
Surely, Fordim wouldn't have a problem of offering one of his newborns.

But seriously, what if you had to create a poll? Could you submit a poll proposal to Mighty Wighty to let him give you the power to create a poll, even just once? Or do I have to sacrifice my newborn (if I have one, which I don't)?
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:10 AM   #176
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
To be honest, I don't know how I got the right to post polls. I was surprised to find out that this right is not universal. My theory is that at one point everyone was allowed to post polls, and then one loudmouthed pollster (*sheepish grin, toe digging into the sand*) started posting poll after poll and the Great and Mighty Barrow Wighty decided that enough was enough and restricted the pollsteristas and -os to make sure that the forum did not become overwhelmed.

Honestly, that's just a theory -- I've never heard anything about this from a mod or admin.

As to non-pollsteristos and -as who wish to start a poll, you could always PM someone with the polling power and make a suggestion. Several Downers have contacted me with such ideas and these have resulted in some interesting polls. To be frank, though, there have been a couple of polls suggested to me that I've not put up because I wasn't sure how they would work or go over so perhaps that's the point of restricting access...?

And oh yeah, there ain't no-one I'd give my kiddies up to! Grrrrrr.....
Old 02-02-2006, 05:16 AM   #177
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Ditto

(I know, bad manners, to express mere agreement, but see, it would be hard to find so many synonyms to deliver the same contents)

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #178
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

In the members list it says that some members have last been online 01-01-1970. Why that date? The 'downs didn't even exist then, did they? I assume that that means that they haven't been online since the vBulletin update, but why is it 1970???
Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #179
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
1969-1970

To quote mark12_30 from the thread linked to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
Zero time in UNIX is 1 January 1970. One second less than that, or an un-entered/ nonexistent time, comes up in UNIX as 23:59 Dec 31, 1969.

Now you know why people worried about Y2K, and why they still worry about UNIX time rollover. Imagine if you had to pay tax going back to the last time you logged on to the barrow downs. Thirty-four years back taxes, plus interest. Cash, please.

Fortunately the Barrow Wight doesn't collect taxes.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #180
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

And what is UNIX??
Old 02-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #181
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
UNIX:

Suomeksi.

In English.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #182
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thank you both, Heren and Spawn.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #183
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What's up with the ' Inktomi Slurp Spiders' that come up in the 'Currently Active Users' section?
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #184
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
What's up with the ' Inktomi Slurp Spiders' that come up in the 'Currently Active Users' section?
Ah! The Spiders!

This rather funny thread explains the arachnid invasion.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #185
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Is it just me, or is the icon next to the Shire RPG forum always a ghost or a padlock? Never a green ball? Is it supposed to be like that? This has been bothering me for a while.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #186
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

The Shire is a locked forum in that only the moderators there can open threads. That's why it has the ghost/padlock icon.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #187
AragornII
Wight

AragornII has just left Hobbiton.
This is kinda strange...

When I put my mouse over someone's reputation boxes, the usual line for someone with 11 boxes is "X has mounted Taniquetil again". However, twice I have seen weird ones. The first time, it said "X wonders what happened to the reputation system." The second time, on a different person, it said "X steals taters from confused gaffers" Is that supposed to happen?
The crownless again shall be king.
AragornII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #188
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, that's normal - there are several brief, witty interludes in the reputations, between mounting Taniquetil the first and the second time. Those should be mentioned somewhere on the now closed Reputations thread - though you'll have to search a bit between chatty nonsense...
Old 04-25-2006, 08:43 PM   #189
AragornII
Wight

AragornII has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Another probably stupid question...

I can't figure out how to quote other posts. How do I get it to say "Oringinally posted by X:"?
The crownless again shall be king.
AragornII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #190
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I can answer that for you! You highlight the part you want then right click and copy it. Then you highlight it again once you have placed it where you want then wrap it in quote tags (the 1 on the top righthand side) Then you put a = sign and the persons name (in the quote box part) I hope that makes sense.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:41 AM   #191
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

There's an easier and faster way to quote someone's post - see the little yellow "quote" box in the lower right corner of the post you want to quote? Click on that, and it automatically opens a new post window with that post included as a quote. If you don't want to quote the whole thing, delete the rest of it, and post your comments and additions below. Voila!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #192
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

When viewing who's online, wgy does it sometimes say "Replying to Thread" and show the thread's name with orange (a link) and sometimes only "Replying to Thread"?

This has been troubling me for a while now...
Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #193
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

There are a couple of restricted subforums: one open only to mods/admins; one to mods/admins and a few other posters.

EDIT: make that 'restricted'

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-12-2006 at 01:05 PM.
piosenniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #194
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
There are a couple of hidden subforums: one open only to mods/admins; one to mods/admins and a few other posters.
Oh, thanks. That cleared it.

Hidden sunforums sounds... sneaky.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:03 AM   #195
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Ok, there has been a mysterious disappearance of the 'spiders' that normally can be found crawling around the site when checking who's online. And it has caused a thread regarding it to pop up in the Novice and Newcomers section. I was wondering if anyone here knows if a switch has been flipped or box checked somewhere to hide the critters.

It had been a rather nice way of coming across older threads.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:02 AM   #196
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm just wondering if there is any way of stopping all these advertisements and spammers that have mysteriously started popping up frequently.
It’s a tad annoying to be browsing the Downs, only to see these spams everywhere.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:28 AM   #197
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I'm just wondering if there is any way of stopping all these advertisements and spammers that have mysteriously started popping up frequently.
It’s a tad annoying to be browsing the Downs, only to see these spams everywhere.
There are Great and Mysterious Powers* at work on this very issue as we speak.

*Also known as Administrators.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:13 AM   #198
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I've kind of been having a problem here. The site was not working (when it did work, it took forever to load and would periodically fail for most of last night, and is working at a really slow pace now. I was wondering what was going on, as it seems that there were other users on here last night.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #199
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The forum and site were down off and on through the night. Because it was working occasionally, I never contacted tech support, so I don't know what the problem was. Once in a while things like this happen, and all we can do is wait for performance to improve. Besides being a little slow, everything looks OK now.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 AM   #200
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

The forum clock is quite weird for me.

For example, the time stamp of this post shows 12:16 PM while the computer clock and my telephone clock tell me it's around 01:08 PM. So the clock is about 50 minutes late.

What's the problem? And, am I the only one?