The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Lord of the Rings Online MMORPG

Is there anyone who is looking at or playing the Beta of the new MMO Lord of the Rings Online site? The screenshots look stunning, but I wonder if there's any interest in getting a band of Downers together to form a group (guild?) in it. Anyone with info or who has played the Beta please post here and let us know how it plays, and if it's worth our time.

The website is http://lotro.turbine.com/.

Oh and here's a lovely screenshot of the Barrow-Downs from the game:
http://lorimages.turbine.com/files/93/96/18/42/67.jpg
Old 01-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I applied for the Beta but I don't think I'll get it as I couldn't be bothered finding about my computer spec
Old 01-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was in a guild for that...about...well, three years ago? And it still hasn't come out, so I must say I've rather lost interest. There's also that money issue.

If I have the money, though, I'm a sucker for MMORPGs, particularly when I have people to play with. So I'll keep a BD guild in mind.

Apparently it is pretty good, from what I've heard from CaptainofDespair who has talked to beta testers. It runs a lot like all the other major MMORPGs, so it may not be anything new under the sun...except that it's a Lord of the Rings MMORPG. Not necessarily bad at all.

There is still an issue with PvP, though, apparently. No one seems to know for sure what they're doing with it. They say that there is no straight-forward PvP, but they've hinted that there's going to be some sort of other kind of PvP...how different it can be, I don't know. There also hasn't been any news about that in a while, I believe, so...who knows.

I don't know much else, except that the fact that it switched developers since I first started looking at it had me worried. It seemed to separate itself from the movies nicely, even it's original name of "Middle-Earth Online" further separating it from the strictly people-only-know-about-"Lord of the Rings"-because-of-the-movies thing. I haven't really looked into it in a while, though, so I can't say too much.

Edit: Okay, sorry, apparently Turbine just bought out Vivendi so they would be both publisher and developer.

Last edited by Durelin; 01-28-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Stress-tester here!!

Well folks, I got an e-mail the other day saying that I was invited as a stress-tester... and this weekend I actually got to try the game out!!

Now, I'm bound by an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) so I can't tell you MUCH... but the game is REALLY good.

My computer isn't the best out there but still at times the game ran very smoothly (at low graphs levels) so I'm guessing that if I ever get to play when it's not a stress-test (stress-test meaning that A LOT of people are on at the same time to try to test the limits of the servers and whatnot) it should run just fine.

If you want to start a guild (Called Kinships in game, I believe) we could discuss it here... or you can drop me a PM.

The game is really good, but BEWARE... just like the movies, it's NOT the books exactly... so there are some things that your inner mind will say "but this can't happen!!" yet overall it was pretty faithful to Tolkien's work and lots of fun to play.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
so farael, how much can you tell us ???
Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 AM   #6
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
he couls tell us all he wants its not like they're spying on Lord of the Rings messageboards looking to see if anyone blabs
Old 01-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoarisesinmight
he couls tell us all he wants its not like they're spying on Lord of the Rings messageboards looking to see if anyone blabs
Actually, they are very strict with that... it only takes one barrow-downer who is also in the beta and agrees with the NDA to get me in trouble.

I can't show you any screenshots (I didn't take any anyway) and I don't think I can give you any specifics about the mechanics of the game. As mentioned before, there is no PvP but there is something like it... so if you like that aspect of the game, it's not totally missing. Some have even said that what they have going on is even better. I didn't try it myself.

The game seems to be very well developed. You get to choose your player from any of the four races of "free peoples" (Men, Hobbits, Elves and Dwarves). There are both male and female characters... unless you want a drwaf, they are all male

The creators of LoTR Online have made the game in such way that you can play by yourself for most of it... but there are some things that you'd be much better off doing as part of a fellowship (a temporary group, sort of like a short-term guild).

The quests are interesting... there is a heavy storyline behind most of them, it's not just "er... go kill 100 orcs because we don't like orcs". Having said that, there are more quests for each level than what you NEED. Which is great, if you want you can go and do every single one before moving on... or you can move on and then come back if you feel like it (although they will be much easier, obviously).

There is a crafting system in place that encourages players to work with each other as well, so while lone wolves can definitely play, there are clear benefits in working with others.

The graphics are very interesting, to me they have the right "feel"... the music was a little bit lacking at times, but I wasn't playing the finished game so I'm thinking they'll improve a bit on that before the release.

Answering Thenamir's question, I think it's very worth playing. I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's, I had some bad experiences (especially with pvp, getting constantly killed by players immensely more poweful than me... that and the sudden realization i was playing in a community that had several neo-nazis as prominent members, which was quite a shocker!) but this one feels different.

This is all I can think of right now... if you have any question ask away!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've heard more good things about it from other beta testers, too...this is getting me excited. Perhaps I should start looking for some more income soon...

I do have a question, Farael (or anyone) if you can answer it: Do you know much about the guild system in-game? I remember bits and pieces from way back, when I was actually in a guild, but I imagine quite a bit has probably changed since then.

Quote:
My computer isn't the best out there but still at times the game ran very smoothly (at low graphs levels) so I'm guessing that if I ever get to play when it's not a stress-test (stress-test meaning that A LOT of people are on at the same time to try to test the limits of the servers and whatnot) it should run just fine.
That is definitely good to hear!
Old 01-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I'm going to give it a try.

In fact, I'm planning on using my name from here so it'll be easy to find me.

(Guess what race I'm going to play...go on, guess. I'll give you four chances.)
Old 01-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
Luthien Elfmaiden

Silmaril

I have my Pre-Order in and I have my application for beta testing. If anyone is looking for a guild visit http://elvenhome.wordpress.com/ some Downer members who have joined are Alkanoonion and Luthien

save your $$ and get the founder deal.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I find the founder deal - the one payment of $199 for "lifetime membership" in particular - mighty enticing, but then I think... I haven't even seen it or played it (though I applied to beta testing recently...heh, what are my chances?), I don't know if it will work on my computer, and I don't know how much time I'll have to play when I go off to lovely college next year...etc., etc.

And of course it's only after you pay that you're guaranteed the beta test. Do you think I could pay for a month, and then pay for the lifetime membership? Hmm...

Ah, I'm so torn.

Goodness...apparently it requires 1 GB of RAM for the beta (backs down to 512 for the regular release, at least)... Farael - You said the game worked fine for you, though on low graphics (which is no problem with me) - how much RAM does your machine have?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I do have a question, Farael (or anyone) if you can answer it: Do you know much about the guild system in-game? I remember bits and pieces from way back, when I was actually in a guild, but I imagine quite a bit has probably changed since then.
I haven't had a chance to try the Kinship (guild) system, I only tried out the fellowship one. Fellowships are easy to form, easy to run and other than some minor glitches it worked just fine. I'm sure those glitches be fixed for the final release though.

For the record, a fellowship is like a short-term Kinship (guild)... there are probably some more bonuses for a kinship, but you definitely get benefits if you form a fellowship... the game is developed in such way that, while all characters COULD play by themselves almost all the time (save some few "fellowship quests" that you can still try alone but you probably won't be able to survive that) being part of a fellowship definitely makes the game easier.

There's also a way of configuring your chat window for a fellowship-only chat, and you get to see the other players in your mini-map. If you are on a mission of "kill X amount of such creature" or "find X amount of Y thing" all the players pool up their results, so it's A LOT faster that way.

Anyway, is there any interest in forming an (unofficial 'till we all get to play ) Kinship for the 'downers?

I'm guessing (or at least, hoping) that you like to play focusing on roleplaying rather than mad leveling... and if you are, I'm sure we could all work something out. If you aren't, you all can work something out but I'm prolly not joining in... I'm not that interested in playing just to be the "toughest kid in the block".
Old 01-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #13
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I find the founder deal - the one payment of $199 for "lifetime membership" in particular - mighty enticing, but then I think... I haven't even seen it or played it (though I applied to beta testing recently...heh, what are my chances?), I don't know if it will work on my computer, and I don't know how much time I'll have to play when I go off to lovely college next year...etc., etc.
I have to say that your chances might not be great... but you loose nothing by trying! I think I read somewhere that there's a higher likelyhood for kinships to be invited to the Beta than for individuals alone, but since then I've heard nothing of the like.

Quote:
And of course it's only after you pay that you're guaranteed the beta test. Do you think I could pay for a month, and then pay for the lifetime membership? Hmm...
Don't quote me on this, but I THINK SO. If you pre-order you are guaranteed a spot in the open beta (which starts by the end of March/beginning of April I think). You don't have to pay until the day the game is released (I believe late April) therefore you'd get to try it for about month, and then you could still opt for the 199 "lifetime membership". Keep in mind that founders get a lower monthly fee regardless.

Quote:
Goodness...apparently it requires 1 GB of RAM for the beta (backs down to 512 for the regular release, at least)... Farael - You said the game worked fine for you, though on low graphics (which is no problem with me) - how much RAM does your machine have?

I should mention two things:
*First of all, the game did not run perfectly though. Usually, after I'd log in I'd have about two hours of gameplay where it would run from extremely smoothly (as good as it would if I was just playing it alone on my computer and not on the Internet and connected to servers and whatnot) to just a tad slow, but nothing that would hinder gameplay... just movements a little jerky and perhaps the occasional two second freeze. After a while though, the game would REALLY start to slow down... until it became unbearable. I believe I wasn't the only one having this problem, it's been reported and I'm sure it'll be fixed.... even then, it could be easily solved by logging off and back on. I should also mention that my computer is slightly messed up, so the fact that it ran smoothly at times is quite encouraging.

*While I'm greatly impressed by the game, I'm actually waiting to see if I get in the closed beta so that I can try out the game after fixing up my computer to see exactly how much of the troubles was the fact that it was a stress-test and how much was my computer not being up to it. I'm pretty sure it was just the fact that I barely have enough disk space to run the game, and that there are some errors that I never managed to fix.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry for the double-post guys...

I recently ran into this

"Chat with the developers" log

It has some interesting information, although it's such a pain to read!

I hope it helps
Old 02-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #15
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Footage of Game Play

Game Play Footage on YOUTUBE
Old 02-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #16
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Update!

Thanks to Gilthalion now I don't have to triple-post.

I got invited into the closed beta, so I finally got to try-out the game without it being as crammed as last time. There was a major patch a few days ago, and it must have worked properly because the game is running MUCH MORE smoothly.

I must have played for about four hours today and I found no major problems.

Also, I must say, The Shire is beautiful! it is very well mapped and it just has a "shire-esque" feeling to me.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.. I'll do my best to answer without breaching the NDA.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #17
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Excellent!

*will keep checking her emails*

They'd better invite me into the closed beta or there's no way they're getting $199 from me.

Thanks Farael for all your info!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 AM   #18
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, since I'm a friendly guy, I decided to contact Turbine to see if my Kinship could join me in-game.

'Cos you guys are my Kinship, RIGHT?! *wink, wink, tap-nose or however you say "play along" in your culture*

Haven't heard from them yet, but who knows? I'm trying out a dwarf now and loving him... and they keep adding content. The game looked ready a couple weeks ago, but now it's getting better.

Who knows what we'll find once the final version is released?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:56 AM   #19
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

If it means getting early access, you're darn right I'm in.

What's our name?

(Hasty? What do you mean I'm being hasty? This is important. I'm sure Treebeard would approve.)
Old 02-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #20
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

w00t! Thank you, Farael!! Though I believe it likely you'll have to prove that you have enough people for it to really be a kinship.

We do need a name! The Barrow-Downs Troupee...Band...Fellowship?

Oh, and the NDA was lifted today, apparently.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #21
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

The Barrow-Downs Troupee...I like it. It sounds fun and vaguely nonsensical.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Oh, and the NDA was lifted today, apparently.
I don't think so, but nice try

And guys, don't get your hopes up too high. It's a long shot, but I figured it'd be fun walking around the Shire with you all. When I first played the game I tried an elven hunter, which was a big mistake... I should have started with...

A hobbit burglar! Like Mad Baggins, who used to go away with a flash and a bang and come back carrying loads of tressure

The Shire is probably one of the better finished areas of the game, and did I mention that you can go visit the Party Tree, Bag End... talk (well, not really talk, but interact with) Gaffer Gamgee, get yelled at by Lobelia S-B... ahhh I really wish they get back to me and let you guys in. It's a really fun game.

Edit: IT seems the NDA WAS lifted today... If you guys have any questions, ask away!

Last edited by Farael; 02-12-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Farael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #23
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Actually I was being completely serious, Farael, dear.

So what kinds of characters shall be allowed in this lovely new kinship?

*is working on getting a job to insure she has enough money for the game, founders thing, a new laptop, and for her trip to Europe...somehow*

You've almost got me sold. I just need to play it now and get hooked.

Open Beta does start a few weeks before the actualy release (or at least a couple), so we should all at least get the chance to try it out then. And then if I'm successfully hooked, I will be forking over $200 and begging my parents to help me out with my computer situation...unfortunately they know I don't need a gig of RAM and a good graphics card to write papers and do research for college....

Edit: Hehe, cross-posted with your edit, Farael

And now for questions... If ya know and feel like answering; if not, no worries.

So does there seem to be enough "quest lines" so to speak? And have you experienced any of those "encounter" type deals? I've never played a game with those before (I've only ever played free MMORPGs, actually, and not very much), and though I've had them explained to me, it would be interesting to see what their like in LOTRO in particular...that is, if you have any idea.

Oh, and though I know you haven't had too much of a chance to do anything, how is the character progression/leveling looking? Is how you develop your character pretty versatile, in character creation and as you level?

Hehe, sorry for all the questions, but I trust your judgment, if you can and want to answer them.

Thanks muchly for all your info!

Last edited by Durelin; 02-12-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #24
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
unfortunately they know I don't need a gig of RAM and a good graphics card to write papers and do research for college
Tell them that learning how to relate to others is an important part of the college experience.

@ Farael

Have you tried the PVP system yet?

No, its not what you are thinking. I want to be able to go in there and kill the beasties...
Old 02-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #25
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Tell them that learning how to relate to others is an important part of the college experience.
Along with pwning orcs!

I mean... Well, that's how I've gotten them to support my foruming, and that wasn't too hard...but then, that's free.

*jots that down on her speech cards...
Old 02-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #26
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
So does there seem to be enough "quest lines" so to speak? And have you experienced any of those "encounter" type deals? I've never played a game with those before (I've only ever played free MMORPGs, actually, and not very much), and though I've had them explained to me, it would be interesting to see what their like in LOTRO in particular...that is, if you have any idea.
There are plenty of quest lines... I'm going to guess that The Shire is the most finished area of the game, and so I'll tell you thinking about it. Playing in Ered Luin with my dwarf and elf there are fewer quests (although still plenty), but in The Shire with my hobbit there are LOTS.

There are also different kinds of quests. Of course you have the proven "go kill X of such beast" but at least they usually give you a good reason (i.e: Kill wolves for pelts, kill orcs because they are making the roads dangerous, or kill Dourhand Dwarves because they stole our gold and we need to make them pay for it).

Then we have the "go find..." Sometimes what you need to find is inside an enemy camp, sometimes it's somewhere out in the wild (where there are plenty of beasts to keep you busy) and sometimes you can only get this something if you kill a baddie and you get that as "loot"

For those of you not used to MMOG's (trust me, I'm still very much a beginner) loot is what you get searching the body of a dead enemy... sometimes you get coins, others some weapons (often crummy, sometimes fancy), others armour or other useful tools.

Finally, specially in the shire, you have a series of quests where you have to help the quick post and so you have to run letters back and forth, while avoiding nosey hobbits, and another series of quests where you have to shuttle pies back and forth avoiding hungry hobbits. Some of those are worth it (and if you do 13 of them you get a bonus "trait" for your character) but these get a little old after a while. Still, they are a great excuse for exploring, even if you don't manage to get wherever you are supposed to go in time.

Quote:
Oh, and though I know you haven't had too much of a chance to do anything, how is the character progression/leveling looking? Is how you develop your character pretty versatile, in character creation and as you level?
One of the critics I've read in the game forums is that character progression is too linear. Most elven hunters of the same level will have almost the same characteristics (or for that matter, any other two characters of the same type).

While that is true, I think that there are two important things to overcome this. First of all, you have plenty of options during battle and after a while you (or at least I) tend to develop a "style". Certain combinations of skills that you find work best for you. While I'm sure that someone with a lot of free time will develop the "perfect" combination, there's still enough leeway (IMHO) so that no two players will do the same thing, and so they will not really be the same.

And also, you can always add a little role playing into your game and then your characters will be rather unique. Sure, perhaps they will have the same "stats" as any other, but I don't see many dwarves bowing to Dwalin before talking to him. Mine does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
Have you tried the PVP system yet?
I have not, so this is all hear-say, but what I know for sure is that there is no PvP.

Instead, we have "Monster Play". Once you get to level 10 you can find a special NPC in bree which lets you go to a special area and there you can be a monster in the service of the Dark Lord.

On the other hand, when you get to a certain level (I Can't remember exactly, but I think it's around 40 or 45) you can go to that same area with your main character and fight AGAINST the monsters.

This has two main advantages. First of all, it allows you to stand a competitive chance in "PvP" even if you don't have fifty hours to toss into the game every week. Second, it allows the game to stay within the "Tolkien Lore". You can't play an "evil" class as your main character, and elfs killing hobbits who are killing humans who are attacking dwarves would not be too "Tolkien".

From the reviews I've read, I've only heard GREAT things about this PvMP (Player vs. Monster Player) system. It also allows those of us who would rather quest around and enjoy Middle Earth to do exactly that.

Hope that answered your questions... anything else, you know where to find me
Old 02-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #27
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Along with pwning orcs!
Tell them it is practice for learning how to defend their future grandchildren.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #28
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

You got away with a lot as a teenager, didn't you, Kuruharan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
There are plenty of quest lines... I'm going to guess that The Shire is the most finished area of the game, and so I'll tell you thinking about it. Playing in Ered Luin with my dwarf and elf there are fewer quests (although still plenty), but in The Shire with my hobbit there are LOTS.
So, can you only go to certain places with certain types of characters? Or is it like you start out in certain places with certain types of characters, and have to do things to expand your world or something?

Quote:
One of the critics I've read in the game forums is that character progression is too linear. Most elven hunters of the same level will have almost the same characteristics (or for that matter, any other two characters of the same type).
So there isn't a great variety of skills? What about appearances, and the variety of items (particularly armour and weapons)? It'll get really boring if everyone's running around with the same gear... Though I understand that this is only the beta.

Sorry I'm picky. Two of my favorite things are messing with my character (appearance and gear and stuff) and looting.

Last edited by Durelin; 02-12-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #29
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
So, can you only go to certain places with certain types of characters? Or is it like you start out in certain places with certain types of characters, and have to do things to expand your world or something?
Well, each race has their starting point, but the world is open. I saw hobbits where the elves start, elves in The Shire, Dwarves in The Barrow Downs (wait, that was me)

Quote:
So there isn't a great variety of skills? What about appearances, and the variety of items (particularly armour and weapons)? It'll get really boring if everyone's running around with the same gear... Though I understand that this is only the beta.
There are LOTS of skills, and lots of "titles" you can win for your character (For example, my dwarf right now has about eight titles that I can set to show next to my name if I want to.. one at the time, of course) and not only there are lots of armour but you can also use dyes on them to customize them further. What they were complaining about is that everyone can (and for the most part everyone does) get the same skills, there is nothing stopping you from having the exact same set of skills that everyone else.

Still, character looks are very varied (you get to choose from their eye colour to how fat/built they are), there are plenty of different kinds of armour to go around (and even more, several kinds of armour that have the same stats but a different look.

Now, as a side-note, guess where I wondered last night?

I had to go find something at a "hill or a barrow" but not at the barrow downs.. yet the 'downs weren't so far off and I had a quest to do there... even though I wasn't of "high enough level" I tried it out anyway.

IT IS AMAZING!! The feel of that place is truly scary... when I saw my first barrow wight I wasn't sure if I should attack it or run away.

Then I Got over it and killed a couple of them. I also saw for the first time long-ranged baddies... so far as a hunter I've had a bit of an edge one-on-one because I could start shooting arrows at them from afar, use a special skill that's an arrow that slows them down (so I can shoot even MORE arrows at them) and set traps... once I got the hang of how to do everything, I could weaken most enemies greatly before they even got close. Some of them had a little long-range skill, but the Wight Archers were the first it was a shootout. Lots of fun.

And now that you mention loot, those guys tossed out some great things!! At least for a meager level 11 dwarf that I was.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #30
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Excellent!

I'm checking my email several times a day now...

Hmm...do you think there will be any chance of guild houses on the 'Downs?

At least, they talked about "guild houses" originally; it's been a while, though, so I have no clue if they're still a part of the game...
Old 02-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #31
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Excellent!

I'm checking my email several times a day now...

Hmm...do you think there will be any chance of guild houses on the 'Downs?

At least, they talked about "guild houses" originally; it's been a while, though, so I have no clue if they're still a part of the game...
As far as players go, the jury on player-built houses is still out. I believe the consensus is towards "instanced" houses (i.e: not a building as part of the world, but entering a small map that is the house itself) I think most of us agree that it would be very "untolkien" to find a bunch of houses in the Old Forest.

Still, I have no idea what the Devs are thinking. I have to say that most of my Internet time is going into the game... and as always, my "forum" time is spent here at the downs rather than at the game forum.

Completely off topic, I have to say that, being in another forum for the first time in a long time, I've grown to appreciate even more how great the community is over here. I am absolutely sick of reading through a page and a half of "I totally agree with everything that has been said before" or "pwned, lolz" or even "Yeah, well, I don't care if you think such and such, because I am much better than you because this and this".

Love you guys!! *hugs all around*... no, even better *group hug!!*
Old 02-14-2007, 02:29 PM   #32
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yes, I suppose that would kind of shatter the illusion...

And yeah, this forum has totally spoiled me! I recall my days on "Ringbearer" being purely out of amusement...

So...

*joins in the group hug*

Perhaps an air group hug would be...less scary?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #33
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Completely off topic, I have to say that, being in another forum for the first time in a long time, I've grown to appreciate even more how great the community is over here. I am absolutely sick of reading through a page and a half of "I totally agree with everything that has been said before" or "pwned, lolz" or even "Yeah, well, I don't care if you think such and such, because I am much better than you because this and this".
Don't read the LOTRO "Roleplaying" forum posts. They're even worse.

I think the instanced houses will be more than likely, if houses are implemented. It would make sense, considering they don't have the lore to support an SWG-type system. And random, player-built settlements don't mesh so well in a Lord of the Rings-y environment. It also becomes incredibly difficult to maintain a lower lag when a non-instanced housing area is just sitting around. There'd be almost too much activity for the server to handle.

At least, that's what logic would say.

Who knows though. Vivendi did some weird things when they were the publisher. And Turbine has done some weird things since then.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #34
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
You got away with a lot as a teenager, didn't you, Kuruharan?
I am a devoted follower of the indirect approach to life...usually...and that is all I'm going to say about that.

Quote:
Completely off topic, I have to say that, being in another forum for the first time in a long time, I've grown to appreciate even more how great the community is over here.
You...mean...there...are...other...forums...out... there...in...the...scary...internet?!

*runs and hides in corner*

Quote:
I think the instanced houses will be more than likely
*Noises of agreement* At one point they were to be part of some phase II, along with expanding the map, but that was the plan a long time ago.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #35
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
*Noises of agreement* At one point they were to be part of some phase II, along with expanding the map, but that was the plan a long time ago.
Indeed. Supposedly houses and horses would have been implemented with the Rohan/Mirkwood Expansion that'll come out about...oh...a decade or so from now.

These Turbine Devs are tricksey and their minds are not known to us. They've changed their plans so many times now it'd be incredibly difficult to even guess at what's going on. Hopefully the concept of a "beta" has settled them down, though.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #36
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I got my beta invite!

Now I can see if this game is worth $250....
Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #37
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
i might of missed it but will it ever come to new zealand???
Old 02-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #38
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks to everyone, especially Farael and CaptainOfDespair for all the great info -- who knew there'd be this much activity on this thread? I've not received a beta invite yet, but I'm still hoping. I've *never* played in an MMO before (well, as an excuse I can only say that I'm nearly 45 years old, with a job, wife, kids...my free time is very limited...) but I'm seriously considering making an exception for this one.

I doubt very much that I'll take the founder's deal, but I'd gladly be a part of the Barrow-Downs Troupee...hey waitaminit...I'm almost bald enough to wear a troupee...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #39
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaL sHaDoW
i might of missed it but will it ever come to new zealand???
As far as I know, they have the game ready for North America and Europe... but I HAVE heard of people from Australia playing. Maybe they bought the game and they play in European or North American servers? the game would run slower, but it might be doable. Although that's just my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir
I doubt very much that I'll take the founder's deal, but I'd gladly be a part of the Barrow-Downs Troupee...
Keep in mind that the founder's deal has the option of (rather than paying 200 bucks for a lifetime membership) paying a 9.99$ monthly fee (which is a nice discount, I believe they expect the regular fee to be in the 15-19$ range).

If I get the founder's deal, I'll probably opt for the $9.99 fee rather than the lifetime subscription... but you never know.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #40
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

I just got my beta invite so all I need to do now is download the 3.5gig file. I am playing from Adelaide, Australia so I hope that the speed will not be too slow. Thanks for all the info on the game.