The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2002, 11:35 PM   #1
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril LOTR - BBC Radio Version

I am listening to the BBC's radio edition of LOTR and while I think it's good for the most part, I think the Ringwraiths sound downright STUPID!

Other than that I want to comment on something that I find ironic: Ian Holm who played Bilbo in the movie is the one playing Frodo in this version. It amazed me when I heard them say Ian Holm there are the end of the first episode!

Anyway I am sure I'll be commenting again on this version of LOTR as I progress in listening to it but please on the meantime, I ask that all of those who have heard this verision of LOTR write down their own comments! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 13, 2002: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 09-12-2002, 11:54 PM   #2
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I thought it was bizarre how 'American' Aragorn sounded when all the other voice actors sounded so English.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:14 AM   #3
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You thought the Ringwraiths sounded stupid? I'll agree that the Witch-King's voice was all wrong, all the hissing and muttered chanting that the rest of them do was really effective.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 04:57 AM   #4
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HAH! I do indeed have a comment, especially about the voice of Aragorn.
The Brits went through great pains to find a voice worthy of Aragorn, and I applaud it!
You have been listening to Sir Robert Stephens, one of the least credited and meagerly worked actors of our time. If you try to look him up you'll find very little available for purchase with his name attached to it. He did some cheesy works, like "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes" and "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" with Dame Maggie Smith but he was also an accomplished Shakespearian! My heart is rent in two when I think that he is not alive today - he died before his time. He was a contemporary and friend of Ian Holm's.
You can find his next to last work in Henry V, with Kenneth Brannagh and another friend of his, Derek Jacobi (of "I, Claudius" fame.)

I cannot think where you noted an American accent on Stephens. He has the pronounciation of his welsh ancectry, and was in my opinion, one of only a few that spoke with eloquence and dignity such as I do not hear these days. There are but two actors who stand up to his wonderful sound these days, Nicole Williamson, (who has fallen alas, due to drink, and I have not heard from him in years) and Alan Rickman, who took years of vocal coaching in RADA (The Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts.)
Back in the day, RADA was something to behold! Sir John Gielgud was staffed there, and I can think of no one whom I'd rather study under.

Please excuse my rant. it's just that out of all the people who ever worked to spread Tolkien's name, Sir Robert is the one that I shall ever love for his portrayal of Aragorn. No one will ever touch his careful and terribly noble Aragorn, not for years and years to come.

[ September 13, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 09-13-2002, 10:00 AM   #5
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The voice of Aragorn in the radio version was superb. It captured perfectly in my mind Aragorns greatness and nobility, while also being able to sound very caring.
But for me the best voice in the whole adaptation was Gollumns. It was just brilliant especially when Sam accuses him of being a sneak.
Did any one else think that Sam and Frodo sounded a little gay (i know they weren't)while they were in Mordor. It realy made me cringe at thought of non Tolkien Fans smirking at this part in the story. I have to keep convincing my friend that there was nothing going on between the 2, they were just good friends.
For some reason Arwen sounded like an old women.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:43 AM   #6
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

I am listening to the part where they're in the Mines of Moria, so I have a ways to go yet on this journey and it'll be awhile yet before I get to Frodo and Sam in Mordor...

And yes, I agree with y'all about Aragorn's voice - it is every bit noble as you'd imagine yet it is also a very caring, warm voice. He sounds VERY much the King that he is!

Well back to listening...

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2002, 10:56 AM   #7
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

You know they in the movie really did abbreviate the journey of the Fellowship in the Mines of Moria...

I am listening to the part where Gandalf was lost in the Mines and I hate to say it but that entire "You shall not pass..." speech to the Balrog sounds a whole lot better being spoken by Ian McKellen than whoever is playing Gandalf in this version of the LOTR!

LOL! Then again, I just LOVED Ian McKellen's portrayal of Gandalf period!!!
Old 09-13-2002, 11:21 AM   #8
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Sting

If you are interested in seeing a few of the cast of the BBC Radio Play go here. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The actors who did the voices of the characters are told there. The fellow playing Gandalf is in the picture. Most of us old timers remember him and his face...but you go look [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] If you wish to see what Aragorn looks like, I can send a link to an old RADA picture of Sir Robert.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:26 AM   #9
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

I really like the voice of Galadriel in this version - it's warm and very much fits the way I would imagine her...
Old 09-13-2002, 01:42 PM   #10
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Well I just started the tape that begins The Two Towers part of the trilogy...

I am listening to Boromir's death scene...

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2002, 01:52 AM   #11
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would say that most of the voice artists involved in the play were spot-on in their characterisation. Especially Elrond and Galadriel when you compare their characterisation in PJ's film. My only real problem with it is Ian Holm's Frodo from TTT onwards, he spends all his time being either melodramatic or nasty, and never seems to come down to earth. Am i the only one who thought that?

Incidentally, I thought the scriptwriters were worthy of a mention for the depth of their research. The two examples that stand out are:
In episode 2 the black riders show up at Isengard and talk to Saruman for a bit. I didn't realise this first time round, but that passage is taken word for word from the UT.
Similarly, when Frodo and Bilbo head off for the Havens, instead of just sound effects and music, Bilbo recites 'Bilbo's Last Song', which is apparently published somewhere, although i'm not sure where exactly.

Anyway, all-round congratulations to the BBC [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 08:02 PM   #12
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I saw the picture, Tirned. Is Ian Holm the one on the extreme right??? He looks sooo young! of course that was 11 years ago.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:21 PM   #13
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Sting

Yes, weren't they young?! Oh, *sigh* Ian was quite cute, I thought. LOL [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2002, 10:35 PM   #14
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Anyone else notice that on the BBC version, Elrond is played by Hugh Dickson, and in PJ's version, he is played by Hugo Weaving? Ironic, isn't it?
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 01:12 AM   #15
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Sting

Actually I did notice a sort of name game going on, The Ians, for instance? and count the number of Sirs! (But this is of course all because they were from the same pot of actors, masterful and great.)
I think that it serves to elevate the movie when we realize that all the cast members were supplied wiht a full copy of the BBC Radioplay so that they could use them to study their characters. For instance, I am (and you will come to know this in time) a maniac over the correct protrayal of Aragorn. When I'd heard that Viggo at least had listened to Sir Robert's portayal of The Ellesar, I jumped for joy. It means that no matter what obstacles PJ puts into the script for Viggo to jump over, his ultimate goal will be to make Aragorn as noble as Sir Robert tried to vocalize him.
Suddenly I feel there is a light at the end of the Paths of The Dead! Oh, I hope, I pray so.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:36 PM   #16
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I've gotten to the part with The Paths of the Dead...and I am just past the part where Gollum leds Frodo and Sam past Minas Morgul -- the part with the Witch King was chilling!!!

I am so glad that the BBC version switches back and forth with the action!

---------
If you write NON-SLASH fanfics about the friendship of Frodo and Sam, you are invited to join my email list dedicated to stories about them at:

Sam's Garden - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/samsgarden

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 09-15-2002, 07:05 PM   #17
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Yes, Tirned Ian Holm is cute!!!!! And he makes an ADORABLE Bilbo!
Old 09-15-2002, 07:23 PM   #18
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the radio version of LOTR. It was more accurate to the book then the movie was, there were several "different" things. Aragorns voice was a bit wacky but really, it wasn't that bad. It is good to listen to on long car rides. I found it easier to get through then the books, because you don't have to do any thing. I loved the songs on it, especially the ents song. I thought that they did a wonderful job of protraying the book with just sound. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2002, 02:23 PM   #19
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turambar
Sting

Gayalondiel -- I think that the bit where the Nazgul learn of the location of The Shire from Grima is also taken from UT, or at least hinted at in UT.

Although some may find it cheesy, I also like the "radio play sound effect" of the One Ring exercising its power (the ringing sound, no pun intended).

Basically, I like pretty much everything about the BBC version. I have it on CD and listen to it often. The actors are all great, but I especially like Gandalf and Sam.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Turambar ]
Old 09-17-2002, 06:23 AM   #20
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I listened to the BBC radio version when it was first broadcast. I loved it.
I now have it on tape and listen to it frequently.
I especially like Sir Michael Horden's Gandalf but my favourite vocalisation is that of Sam. His voice immediately tells the listener that he is competent, reliable, trustworthy and down-to-earth, a salt-of-the-earth type of person.
I loved some of the songs, something I greatly missed in the film.

I also love the BBC's adaptation of The Hobbit, which is only slightly damaged by the rather silly, high-pitched voice of Gandalf.

Selmo.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 11:13 AM   #21
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
"I also love the BBC's adaptation of The Hobbit, which is only slightly damaged by the rather silly, high-pitched voice of Gandalf."
Don't they also pronounce Smeagol's assumed name, ga-LOOM (accent second syllable)? That's pretty bad . . .
Old 09-17-2002, 01:50 PM   #22
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I am nearing an end of the the entire thing, listening to the chapter to do with Mount Doom, just after the Ring is destroyed!

This version of LOTR is SUPERB!

I must obtain a copy of this version of LOTR!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 01:04 PM   #23
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I agree with whoever said that Arwen in this sounds like an old woman!

Sheesh!

The woman who did Galadriel's voice should have done Arwen's and the woman who did Arwen's voice should have done Galadriel's!

I mean with the way they had this, the grandmother sounded younger than her granddaughter! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 02:58 PM   #24
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Sting

In what chapter did you all hear Arwen speak? I do not remember her having any lines.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:29 PM   #25
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Many Partings I believe, and as I remember she does sound a bit old. But I didn't think she was horrible or anything.

For really horrible, you should hear Merry and Pippin in the American-made radio play. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 04:30 PM   #26
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
In what chapter did you all hear Arwen speak? I do not remember her having any lines.
Arwen speaks in the Episode 12 when Frodo comes to visit Aragorn and her by the water fountain in Minas Tirith...

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]