The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
Nazgūl-king
Wight

Nazgūl-king has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Favorite battle?

What is your favorite Middle-earth battle? Mine would probably be a tie between the Battle of the Hornberg and the Battle of Pelennor Fields.
Nazgūl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
Tar-Meneldur
Pile O'Bones

Tar-Meneldur has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It has been a while since I last posted.

Anyways battles, mine would have to be back in the Silmarillion. The War of Wrath, the final battle of the 1st age. I just wonder what it would have looked like from atop Dorthonion looking down into Anfauglith. Wow, the great hosts of Valinor and Morgoth clash, imagine what it would have looked like.

That’s my favorite battle.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Boromir's last stand. If we're talking large scale battles, definitely Pelennor Fields.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Definatly the battle of Azanulbizar. A classic battle with all the heroes a dwarf lover could want!

DWARVES RULE!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
From the movie or the book?

In the movie, oh my, the Return of the King battles take the prize every time. I get emotional just listening to the music. Theoden's war speech. The fell-and-fey charge into the hoard of orcs, the trumpets. (I give you my word, a chill ran down my spine, and tears came to my eyes simply remembering those beautiful horns.) I especially love that one guy who is riding his horse recklessly, a wordless angry growl on his lips, like he cannot WAIT to dive into those orcs and avenge his friends

Aragorn's heroic charge whilst the Howard Shore choir belts out the Fellowship theme for the first time in all its vocal glory is beautiful. The fact that the hobbits take the initiative in running out thereafter is also amazing, and then the soldiers of Middle-Earth outrun them in the onslaught of freedom.

Fellowship's battles are almost fun to watch, because there's such a broad arena for combat at Amon Hen. Boromir's last stand is a poignant tribute to his sacrifice and his honor. Two Towers' main battle was Helm's Deep, and while the build-up was great, there are some things cinematically that get on my nerves. Why are there TWO Legolas's riding in the front of the charge? Why are they swinging their swords at thin air while their horses are doing all the plowing through of the enemies? Why is their a hint of PINK in the background of the battle? (Yes, I know the reason, but still.) I was also bothered by the "Soldiers that don't fight anything" in the Warg battle. If you watch, there are soldiers dutifully swinging their swords at thin air as directed to, which the CGI guys missed in post.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16

Last edited by Knight of Gondor; 12-19-2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Changed "book" to "movie" as I was talking about movie battles
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Hammerhand has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Hammerhand
Nirnaeth Arnoediad for me. It is such a sad story that grips you throughout its entirety. The literary crafting is also quite spectacular, the emotive narrative does the trick!

Apart from that, i'd have to say the Fall of Gondolin, just for sheer entertainment; what a read.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Dwarven Warrior
Newly Deceased

Dwarven Warrior has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Definatly the battle of Azanulbizar. A classic battle with all the heroes a dwarf lover could want!

DWARVES RULE!
Correct, that is a good battle, but I like the Battle of the Five Armies better. I love Thorin!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Battle of The Pellenor Fields... so much emotion, I cry every time I read that chapter, or even watch it in the movie!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
The Battle of The Pellenor Fields... so much emotion, I cry every time I read that chapter, or even watch it in the movie!
The battle doesn't get my that emotional. The only time I've cried in the books or movies was at Gandalf's death in Khazadum. But the Battle of Pellenor Fields does send chills all over me. It is really inspirational.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
The battle doesn't get my that emotional. The only time I've cried in the books or movies was at Gandalf's death in Khazadum. But the Battle of Pellenor Fields does send chills all over me. It is really inspirational.
Wow, you're not that emotional are you? You should read the "What Made You Cry" thread.

Anyway, yes the Battle of The Pellenor was very insparational!