The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
Jimmylew

The Three elven rings

When Sauron went to forge the One ring did he know anything about the 3 Elven rings?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Yes. He knew that they existed and had a pretty shrewd idea of who possessed them (i.e. Gil-Galad and Galadriel). That's why he made the One Ring; to control all 19 other Great Rings and thus, control all life on Middle-Earth. Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age in the Silmarillion has more information on this topic and the Great Rings pre-LotR .
Old 03-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Elatan

Are you sure? I rather had the impression that Celebrimbor made the Three Rings in secret and that Sauron only found out about them after he had made the One Ring. The discovery must have been quite a shock to him.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sauron came to Celebrimbor as Annatar, the "lord of gifts" and taught him how to make the rings, but Sauron did not touch them, when it was discovered that he was indeed Sauron, Celebrimbor and his elves gave the rings away and Sauron attacked Eregion, thus Elrond was sent to bring the people as refugees and they ended up in Rivendell.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien

Jimmylew and Elatan, as advised by Fingolfin II, you should refer to the "Of the Rings of Power" in the Silmarillion, I have however extracted what I think to be the most relevant passages for your queries;

"Therefore they hearkened to Sauron, and they learned of him many things, for his knowledge was great. In those days the smiths of Ost-in-Edhil surpassed all that they had contrived before; and they took thought, and they made Rings of Power. But Sauron guided their labours, and he was aware of all that they did; for his desire was to set a bond upon the Elves and to bring them under his vigilance" - Of the Rings of Power, Silmarillion.

He knew, it was the discovery Elatan that he had not decieved the Elves which bought him to wrath,

"But the Elves fled from him; and three of their rings they saved, and bore them away, and hid them." - Of the Rings of Power, Silmarillion.

And so he did not know who possessed the 'Three'.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote