The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots So, Best and Worst Characters?

First of all, I wish to apologise for the lame thread title.

Now on to business. Most of us will have been able to see the final extended version of the trilogy. What are your final thoughts as to the questions implied in the title? Which one character do you think was the best in the films overall? And which would you say was the worst?

Vague terms indeed, but take into account all you can. I would say take especial regards to the acting, dialogue, and possible storyline quirks.

Here are my nominations. As to best character, I would argue for Meriadoc Brandybuck. I thought the storytellers found the perfect niche for him, one of my favourite characters in the book. He was never in danger of outshining Frodo and Samwise, the really important Hobbit characters. But he was given enough so that the audience really cared about him. This came to a head with the climax of his story in the Extended version of The Return of the King. The acting was very good, I thought Monaghan had the right look for the part, and I really cannot think of anything wrong that happened with Merry in any of the films. The only complaint I can think of is that he was not featured very much in the first two films, but I think the character was rightly developed a lot overall.

Now worst. It may apear as if I am contradicting myself here because I have been quite the defender of this film character in the past. However, I think that game of Devil's advocate was slightly off-key when faced with the grand picture that stood there glowering at me all that time. That character is Faramir. I thought the acting was weak. Did anyone gauge any strength that the man had? The dialogue was sometimes bad, and dreadful in at least one part; "Saruman attacks from Isengard, Sauron from Mordor..." No kidding, genius. As Avie so brilliantly pointed out on another thread, Faramir played a typical 'damsel-in-distress'. Always weepy-eyed and just weak in general. Think of the part where Madril advises him to forsake Osgiliath. Wenham gives a pitiful cry of order, barely loud enough for anyone to hear him. There was also that whole Frodo and Sam bit which is still highly debatable. Overall, a really poor portrayal of what I think is a golden character.

So, please give me your nominations. Remember to give at least a couple of reasons for why you are choosing the characters. Remember also that this thread is not really the place to argue with others about certain characters.

Maybe it will wind up being just another list topic. Hopefully, it will at least be entertaining to read. A survey of the Barrowdowners, of sorts.

Thanks.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 01-01-2005 at 09:16 AM. Reason: The Wargs made me do it....
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Don't worry about the lame thread title, atleast it covers the topic.

As for best character...hmm, if it must be from ROTK, then I would say Theoden. I often find myself repeating his lines (his pep-talks in Helm's Deep and on Pelennor fields). I love Bernard Hill, I think he is a wonderful actor, I adored him as the crazy scientist Philos in the below average movie "Scorpion King." Also, as mentioned in another thread, I love the look on his face when he sees this soldier fighting ferociously next to him, little does he know that soldier is Eowyn. Theoden's my favorite character, save Boromir .

As for worst, I can't express how much I hate Gothmog. This man that receives one little sentence in the book, gets more screen time then the Witch-king. I hate his lines too "The time of man is over, the time of the orc has come." No it hasn't. Then "Feaaaah, the city is rank with it, eahahaha." His mutilation in the EE even gets me to cringe more.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Sting btw, this is a great thread

Because the answer should be mostly based on dialogue, acting, and possible storyline quirks; my choice for favorite character will be different than that from the book.

Even though not in all three films, Boromir was my favorite character (movies only). Sean Bean portayed the tormented and at the same time valiant character with perfection. None of his lines seemed to be weak or flimsy, but instead left a lasting impression on me. I did not find any flaws in Sean Bean's acting either. The movies show Boromir as more of an evil character than in the books, but that is purely because they are movies. As a result of that, there is much less background information on Boromir which helps define the character to a fuller extent. When I first read the Fellowship of the Ring I did not have a picture perfect understanding of Boromir's nature and appearance. After seeing the movie version, Sean Bean's portrayal fit perfecting into my imagination. Now whenever I read the book, his image appears.

Also quickly I would like to say that if I had to chose from a character that remained in all three movies it would be Meriadoc Brandybuck. Dominick whatever his last name is played the character really well. He also fit perfectly into my vision of Merry from the books. He most definitely outshined the portrayals of Sam and Frodo, who I believe in some parts were poorly played by Sean Astin and Elijah Wood (mostly in the Return of the King).

Lastly I would like to name my least favorite character from the movies. At first I made this decision with a little reluctance, but after reviewing the facts once again it was easy. Legolas was by FAR the worst character in these movies. In the books however, the Sindarin elf was my utmost favorite. Orlando Bloom butchered this beloved character of mine, ESPECIALLY in the amazingly STUPID stunts he pulls in the Two Towers and RotK. If u do not remember, then let me refresh ur memory: In the Two Towers he defies the laws of physics and gravity by lifting himself onto a horse...... well nvm that cant even be explained in words its so impossible, I guess u'd have to see it. Also in RotK he climbs up an Oliphaunt by using arrows (which would easily break, they are basically twigs for God's sake) and then by using the force or something he balances on the back of the beast and shoots the rope holding up the battlement on the Mumak's back. Then (while still keeping perfect balance) walks to its head and shoots it (totally un-accurate, an Oliphaunt has to be shot in the eye to die). As the creature falls to the ground he still amazingly keeps his balance and then ramps off the creatures tentacle thingy in the front (cant remember wat it called) and lands safely. I seriously wanted to throw a hammer at the movie screen after watching that. In the book, Legolas is fairly normal, he's just an elf, so therefore automatically has more wisdom and skill, but the reason he's a hero is because of his skill with a BLADE and a BOW. I had no idea he was supposed to be the Messiah. In the first film, the portrayal is quite good (doesnt even compare to the Legolas in the book though), but later on down the road it worsens quite a bit. Peter Jackson and Orlando Bloom could have easily saved this character if they would have stayed away from the uber lame stunts. I did not have much of a problem with Legolas' appearance in the films, but with the rest of the elves in the movies I did. Please forgive me if I sound homophobic but it makes me have somewhat less respect for them (good thing they normal in books) Answer me this: since wen did all elven men become metro-sexuals that talk very feminitly?

Well I'm done FINALLY. o and btw nice comments Eomer of the Rohirrim.

Last edited by King of the North; 12-28-2004 at 05:17 PM.
King of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Quote:
Even though not in all three films, Boromir was my favorite character (movies only). Sean Bean portayed the tormented and at the same time valiant character with perfection.
I agree, I misunderstood, I thought since Eomer was talking about the ROTK EE, person had to be from ROTK (but I'll stay with Theoden). I love Sean Bean in whatever movie he is in (Goldeneye, National Treasure, Lorna Doone, Patriot Games, Troy). I love the scene PJ added with Boromir swordfighting for the hobbits, and they kick him over "for the Shire!," I get a laugh and I think it's some good addition of PJ's. I love when Sean Bean sees the small wooden horse, in Troy, then he sort of looks and rubs his chin like "ahh." Then I can not wait until National Treasure is out to buy, the dialogue between him and Cage are great. They know eachother so well, they complete eachother's sentences, but yet their personalities are totally different. Switching my fond approval now to my grimacing dislike...
Quote:
Answer me this: since wen did all elven men become metro-sexuals that talk very feminitly?
Good point, Haldir has a bit of an annoying voice, but I like his character in TTT. Despite Elves not being at Helm's Deep, I still like his lines "An alliance once existed between elves and men, we come to honor that allegiance." I find Celeborn's voice to be the most annoying however, atleast he didn't have too many speaking lines. I go into convulsions (I believe that's the word) when I hear, "Tell me where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him?" I can't think it, without being annoyed.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:14 AM   #5
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
The best character is for me Legolas. I just love Elves. He can be so calm and speaks so softley... I just love it. And he sees evil approtcing when no one else does. Of course I love him too cause he's one of the best archers, but he's, I don't know, I don't know if I have the words to tell. And the WORST character is... NONE, I like all the characters, even all the Orcs. They are all a little piece of a puzzle called Middle-Earth, and that makes them great.

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:38 AM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Hmm, already one character with a nomination for Best and Worst.

Indeed, I was referring to the trilogy as a whole, and not just the final film. I only mentioned the Extended DVD of The Return of the King because I was talking about Merry, whom I think shone brightest in that film.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

I'm going to say we are going to see Legolas' name pop up a couple more times, and probably Denethor's name under the "worst."
Old 12-29-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The films were literally stuffed with good actors so it's very difficult to think of the best one, but this also has the advantage of making the weaker actors stand out. In many cases, where a character was messed about with a little too much (e.g. Faramir), I am prepared to allow for this. In the case of Faramir, I think David Wenham did a decent job with the part he was given; it was wrong, but he did offer up a sensitive portrayal. But I'm not prepared to allow for it in every case. This will sound rather catty but I found Liv Tyler a little wooden in the films. Yes, the role was 'beefed up' and that will colour my opinion, but I found her a little too expressionless. She is a beautiful woman, and seemed at times merely to concentrate on portraying Arwen's beauty; seeing as they did 'up' the role of Arwen, I think she could have put a little more into it. Now you're all free to call me nasty.

However, I was disappointed with much about how the Elves came across - they were almost too ethereal at times. I did not picture Elrond in the manner that he was portrayed in the films, but he did come across as truly powerful, unlike some other Elves I dare not mention. The best Elven portrayal was Galadriel though - apart from the 'scary moment' she played Galadriel very powerfully.

Its hard to pick a 'best' portrayal. Part of me wants to go for Bilbo because Ian Holm did him so well, and he is my favourite character anyway. I also want to go for Bernard Hill's Theoden as he played him with real gravitas and brought tears to my eyes when he was mourning his son's death. Sean Bean was splendid as ever as Boromir; it seemed a part made for him. And Ian McKellen was an excellent Gandalf. But I think, all in all, my vote would have to go for Christopher Lee as Saruman. He was a character I could not entirely fix on a visualisation for in the books - his image kept 'shifting' (as does his character!) and I saw him more on a 'tjhought' level, as in I saw how his mind was working and heard his voice, but no picture came up. But Chris Lee was perfect. He was sinister, commanding, not a little frightening, and perfectly controlled.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:39 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Although I love Christopher Lee, until I watched the EE this morning I thought that he had missed the "seductive" aspect to his voice but he captured it perfectly. I wish they had had more of the "we will have peace scene" - For me the acid test is whether film image has "overwritten" my mental image from the books and radio version. In many cases it has - Boromir, Galadriel, Elrond, , Theoden, Eomer and despite initial misgivingsMerry and Pippin & Aragorn and Eowyn. Gimli, Gandalf are neutrals ..... the cracks of doom scene made me forgive "sam and Frodo" a lot but I reaqlly think they played Frodo to young and Sam too fat... (and for me Ian Holm and Bill Nighy are just perfect in the radio version). However Faramir, Denethor and Arwen ...................... nnnoooooooooooooooooo Faramir - the part was awful rather than the actor and the same with Denethor ... what ever Denethor's mental state I am sure his table manners would not allowed him to slurp his food like that. And Arwen .... too wooden, too trout pouty, too irritating...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I agree with Boromir and King of the North.

When I first saw this post, I was thinking Denethor for the worst character. His potrayal was horrible. From the books, I thought him a once kind man who had been driven mad with despair. The movies made him wholly evil. Even in the flashback with Boromir, Faramir and him in Osgiliath, he was a complete jerk! He did have some good lines, but helik a manicdepressant most of the time. You'd turn your head and he'd change from a grieving father to a power-hungry psycho. It was ridiculous.

But after reading King's post, I agree that Legolas is worse. His image was really good in FotR, but was just bad the last two. Seriously, even if the uber-stunts weren't bad enough, he had this whole overplayed I'm-better-than-Gimli-in-everything attitude .

Now, on a better note, I personally thought that Viggo Mortensen did an excellent job playing Aragorn. He at first appeared as a simple ranger who had given up who he might become. But slowly he realized that his path was leading him to a kingship. And as he grasped that role, I thought he really did a good job of taking control of the plot.

BTW, I thought Gimli's character was hilarious in RotK, if somewhat unrealistic.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

The only thing that gets me from not choosing Denethor, is John Noble's acting. I put aside my own personal view of Denethor (from what I learned from the books) and I just said, John Noble plays a wonderful scum bag. However, I agree with Mith, I think the food shoveling is just over the top. I don't care how evil PJ makes Denethor, it's unnecessary to make the guy a slob too. My view is, I still have my view of Denethor from the books, the movies don't change that, the movies are purely entertainment, and since Noble did such a great performance, and a guy that you too would want to hit with a staff if you had it, then I give a thumbs up to him.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:04 PM   #12
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

As has been noted above, there are a remarkable number of good
characters/portrayals in the movies. While Gandalf and Boromir (among others)are well acted and the casting by PJ and friends was good I'd say Eowyn, partly because I had significant doubts that the character could be adequately portrayed in the movies.

The worst must again be mentioned, Denethor!
While not depicted in the book as kindly (ala Theoden) I see him as more
a tragic hero, flawed but dedicated to Gondor, and to some extent, the West as a whole. Although in one of his Letters JRRT takes a surprisingly negative view
of Denethor. His movie bits were awful not just as a one-dimentional "crazy"
but for the ridiculous Gandalf/Denethor interactions.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:51 PM   #13
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

Denethor got some of the best lines in the EE *happy sigh* but, as much as I love him, I have to nominate Théoden for best character in the movie. I love the look on his face when he sees Ol' Witchy swoop down towards him, I love his lines, I love his armor and I especially love his sword.

*giggles* But, and I bet you saw this coming a mile off, Legolas for worst. the horrible lines ("A Diversion!" Gee, ya think? *lightbulb*), the stilted acting (Is it too much to ask to have some emotion and variation in his speech? When the extras are better actors than you are something has to be up), that blimmin' scene with the Mumuk, pure cheese there!

*groans*

But to the new Denethor lines I have only one thing to say:
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:31 AM   #14
Tigerlily

Sting

For best character I would like to nominate my favoruite, Pippin. I think that there is something special about him. Even though he can be very thaughtless at times (like taking the Palantir). He is a good hobbit. He got a good heart, and would do anything to help his friends. I think Billy Boyd is plays him perfectly, and gives it the right touch of humor. And yes, he can be a big fool at times. But, how can you not love Pippin?

-Tigerlily
Old 12-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #15
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
I can speak for us all I think: We all love Pippin, he's funny when he's acting foolish, but that's all. I love him, but he's not my fave person. But I think it's cool you love him that much, at last some one else that likes a other person then Legolas, Aragorn, Gandalf, Eomer etc.

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 12-31-2004, 09:13 AM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think the trouble with Legolas is that he isn't given a lot of dialogue in the books and a lot of the more profound stuff was discarded becasue it didn't "move the story along" (including just about my favourite lines from the whole book "I count you blessed Gimli son of Gloin")..... so while he gets plenty of fancy stunts his dialogue is limited to stating the obvious giving the illusionm of being "Prince Legolas the Perpetually Confused". In FOTR he seems so surprised by anything he encounters "Orcs!" , "Goblins!" "Crebain!" that I expecteted him to enter Lorien and exclaim "trees!" in complete bewilderment. Then in TTT old eagle eyes either fails to notice or doesn't bother to mention the hoardes of Warg-riders approaching... reducing him to resident pretty boy and "Laurel" to gimli's "Hardy".

I would add that I was very impressed by Karl Urban on looking at the EE ....he was probably the least known and experience of any in a major role and he more than held his own... I was nearly crying when he found Eowyn.....

Old 12-31-2004, 10:33 AM   #17
Avie
Pile O'Bones

Avie has just left Hobbiton.
My favourite (film) character is Gandalf. Ian McKellern just does such a brilliant job of conveying the complexity and depth of the character and even the horrible, jarring duel-with-Saruman scene in FOTR dosen't spoil his performance...gahhhh...what WAS PJ thinking to include that? he might as well have had them play a game of quidditch while he was about it...
Pet peeves include Faramir (O! Pray rescue me from the highest room of the tallest tower...etc etc...), Denethor (He's behind you! ) and and I'm probably gonna get royally flamed for this....Legolas. Easy on the eye but Orlando Bloom is more wooden than an entire Moot of Ents.
I also think that Hugo Weaving was horribly miscast as Elrond. He looks all wrong and his characterisation comes across as sinister and manipulative, for example, not telling Arwen that he had foreseen a son. His motives for doing this are certainly understandable, but I feel it undermines the integrity of the character.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:05 PM   #18
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Hugo Weaving is a wonderful actor, it's just the characterization that makes him, as well as Elrond look bad. Reminds me too much of Agent Smith. Which, Hugo is the only good actor in those movies. I love the way he talks, its rather computerish, fitting his role perfectly. (atleast in The Matrix).
Old 12-31-2004, 12:19 PM   #19
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm. Makes you wonder whether nine or ten thousand Elronds could have attacked Sauron and destroyed the Ring.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:20 PM   #20
Captain of Despair
Pile O'Bones

Captain of Despair has just left Hobbiton.
MY least favorite would have to be Denethor. I know it's been mentioned a thousand times, but I cannot get over how they ruined the character. Sure Denethor (in the book) had become somewhat maddened due to everything that had happened (Boromir dying, Faramir becoming ill, terrible visions in the palantir) but over all he was still a good man. In the movies he was portrayed as little more than a raving lunatic. But I digress.

Honorable mention in this category goes to Gimli. He was turned from a great warrior to a bumbling joke. Enough said.

Favorite character is extremely hard to pick, but if I have to choose I will make it a tie between Merry and Pippin. I'm not sure exactly why, but I just love those little guys. The actors and their portrayals were top notch.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:25 AM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Avie ... I adore Hugo Weaving, I have been somewhat in love with him since I was 13 and he was in a miniseries called Bodyline ... so I can only second Boromir's comments about him being a wonderful actor ( for an amazingly intelligent and sensitive performance look at Priscilla...).

However, if you separate the actor from the role I do agree with you in some respects ...in TTT particularly there was a slight "creepy dad" element that I found disturbing. While IMO, just about all the characters were demeaned in some respect by their film treatment ..(Boromir perhaps being an exception being more shown more sympathetically), I think Elrond's character suffered most. In the book he is so noble and puts himself last .. the film makes him rather selfish.

I thought it was quite clever casting .... he has the right colouring and those wonderful eyes, and although I dislike Liv Tyler,it looked plausible that she was his daughter (although he is no where near old enough in reality!), and I reckoned as a Half elf he might show more signs of aging than a full blood... and he looked really good in armour *thud*.

One thing I will say for the film is that they do seem to have made an effort to make the families have a plausable resemblance although I am surprised they didn't make sean Bean lose the accent that blew the whole thing... but then he kept it even to play Macbeth on stage in London....

Old 01-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #22
Avie
Pile O'Bones

Avie has just left Hobbiton.
Mithalwen, I was not criticising Hugo Weaving's acting which is excellent. My gripe was really with how the scriptwriters interpreted the character of Elrond, making the character appear dismissive of Men..."There is no strengh left in the world of Men", lacking in sympathy for the Hobbits and their longing to go home and dishonest and manipulative with Arwen and Aragorn, the film Elrond falls a long way short of the wise and kindly character of the books.
Having said all that it must have been terribly difficult for PJ&co to get across the essential difference of the Elven characters....I'm sure he made a better job of it than I could have done!
And BTW I agree with you about Sean Bean..."By eck let's slay t'cave troll like"...his accent appears to be ineradicable in whatever role he plays though, to be fair ,he did a decent job of Boromir who I liked better in the film than in the book.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #23
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North
Answer me this: since wen did all elven men become metro-sexuals that talk very feminitly?
I think that the design team probably thought that with being immortal, there would be less of an immediate need to attract a wife or husband and produce children, and thus masculine and feminine attributes are less pronounced as their display is not as important. I still don't like the way they look though.

I think it should be noted, however, that all armored elf warriors who appear on screen are masculine-looking.
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #24
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
The only thing that gets me from not choosing Denethor, is John Noble's acting. I put aside my own personal view of Denethor (from what I learned from the books) and I just said, John Noble plays a wonderful scum bag. However, I agree with Mith, I think the food shoveling is just over the top. I don't care how evil PJ makes Denethor, it's unnecessary to make the guy a slob too.
Actually, I don't think his table manners are that bad by medieval standards.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Come on now, I think PJ just has an obsession of slobbish eaters. Take FOTR, with PJ's cameo, bites into a carrot and belches. TTT, Gimli stuffing his face full in Theoden's hall (I seriously doubt a dwarf would do that, especially in a king's hall, oh yeah then Gimli belches). Then ROTK, a steward spitting cherry juice, and chomping while Pippin's singing, highly inappropriate for a steward surely.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #26
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Come on now, I think PJ just has an obsession of slobbish eaters. Take FOTR, with PJ's cameo, bites into a carrot and belches. TTT, Gimli stuffing his face full in Theoden's hall (I seriously doubt a dwarf would do that, especially in a king's hall, oh yeah then Gimli belches). Then ROTK, a steward spitting cherry juice, and chomping while Pippin's singing, highly inappropriate for a steward surely.
Three instances do not an obsession make.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:02 PM   #27
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Regarding Elves, I think that they were made to be so beautiful because, well, they are more beautiful than Men in general. Fact.

The femininity is shining through because females are arguably more beautiful than males.

I thought Legolas and Haldir looked really good. There were other aspects of the characters that brought them down, especially dialogue in Leggy's case!
Old 01-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #28
lucyannalulu

Sting

in all of the lotr movies my favourite character has to be aragorn. normally i would have said Legolas because he is cute but i have gone off him, and viggo mortensen looks so darn cute with his beard and his sword. also my worst character is the king of the dead played by paul norell because he looks so creepy even if he doesnt look like that in real life. i know he is meant to be creepy because he is dead and all but that is just wierd
Old 01-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #29
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Ring I think you're forgetting...

I don't know if this really counts, but here goes.

I thought that Gollum was done very well. Even though he's not a real actor(that we see anyway), he was made out to be the exact creepy, slinky character that I thought he was. He might not have been book-perfect, but he was still very well done. I especially like the fight between Gollum and Smeagol while they're sitting on that rock. The camera pans back and forth like its two people. It might be a little overdramatized, but it really brings out the conflict between the two personalities.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:59 AM   #30
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
One thing I will say for the film is that they do seem to have made an effort to make the families have a plausable resemblance although I am surprised they didn't make sean Bean lose the accent that blew the whole thing... but then he kept it even to play Macbeth on stage in London....
He does keep his accent seemingly with every part he plays, but I think this stems from a particular 'school' of acting in Britain. If you listen to Bernard Hill, he too retains vestiges of his accent, and they allowed Billy Boyd to use his own accent too. I like this - there is nothing to say what accent various characters might have had, only guidance on pronunciation, and it is entirely feasible that characters might sound slightly different. If they allowed such large regional variations within Hobbits of The Shire, then why should there not be some variation within Gondor. And it did sound good, anyway.

Now, I thought Denethor was eating not cherries, but cherry tomatoes (the work of the devil). I found a lot of the other instances of poor table manners slightly in poor taste, especially where they seem to demean the character of Gimli a bit too much, but when Denethor is seen eating in such a manner I found it underlined his character as portrayed in the films (not his book character), as we see him gorging while his son is sent out to battle needlessly.

As for Gollum, Andy Serkis turned in a vocal performance not to be forgotten, which is all the more brilliant considering that he based it on the sound of a cat coughing.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #31
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I think Denethor's table mannerswere awful and if they hadn't meant to have been they wouldn't have focussed on them so much. I think they were intended to represent his decline into selfish concerns to the point of madness - greed and decadence in the face of disaster. Book denethor was a noble lord among noble lords, proud and cultured - and to an extent Gondor was a more "civilised" land than Rohan a place of scholars not just soldiers. Such a man would not have eaten like a pig - to eat thus has been poor manners I would say even in a time that did not use cutlery as we do.

As for Sean Bean's accent - I know that Sean Bean is from that generation that didn't have to shed accents to get on (unlike say Edward Petherbridge who came from Yorkshire perhaps 20 years earlier, or the divine voiced George Irving (Meyer in "Holby City" ) who came from South Shields. However, to my mind it is as bizarre as everyone speaking RP to have not got him to clean up the accent when his Australian "father and Brother" spoke accentless English. I didn't mind Pip haveing a different accent since he came from a different part of the shire (tho really Merrry should have had the Celtic tones !) . And by ROTK I had stopped Bernard Hill to say "go on gissa job" and accepted him as Theoden. As far as I recall from articles about the making they had toyed with giving different peoples different accents and I think some of these indecisions seem to have lurked - Eowyn sounding unevenly irish at times and Viggo..... so Lal while I agree about what you say about peoples .... I expected the same family to sound more alike... but then hardly anyone in the Archers sounds like they belong in the Midlands... grr 'cept for when Will was younger with a pet Badger "it will be moider if they kill Stroipey" ....

Old 01-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #32
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
However, to my mind it is as bizarre as everyone speaking RP to have not got him to clean up the accent when his Australian "father and Brother" spoke accentless English.
Would you say his accent came through so strongly though that it was intrusive? I always thought I only noticed it simply because I'm so used to the accent, and I noticed the long vowels and that kind of thing. By contrast, I'm not used to West Country accents and despite what so many have said, I still can't see much wrong with Sean Astin's accent!

Quote:
I didn't mind Pip haveing a different accent since he came from a different part of the shire (tho really Merrry should have had the Celtic tones !) .
I agree with you there that Merry ought to have been the one with such a distinctively different accent, although of course both actors were suited to their roles and it wouldn't have 'done' to swap them about.

Quote:
And by ROTK I had stopped Bernard Hill to say "go on gissa job" and accepted him as Theoden.
That image of Yosser Hughes just does not die though. I've seen Bernard Hill in so many roles but immediately think of him in Boys From the Blackstuff as soon as he comes on screen and it does take a while for that picture to be replaced by whatever role he is now playing!
Old 01-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #33
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Quote:
but when Denethor is seen eating in such a manner I found it underlined his character as portrayed in the films (not his book character), as we see him gorging while his son is sent out to battle needlessly.
Lal, if Denethor was the only case of eating slobbishly, I would agree with you. But, as pointed out in one of my previous posts Jackson has a tendancy to do this in each of the movies, making it look like he just put it in there for the heck of it, and nothing to do with showing Denethor's character.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #34
Finwe-89
Wight

Well, if I need to pick a worst character, then it will be ( of the films ) Denethor, I just hate him! He only showed love to Boromir, but deep in that rocky heart of him, he loved Faramir too

Old 01-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #35
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Boromir didn't have it quite so easily either. Yes, Denethor did favor him over Faramir, and probably treated him like a loving father should. However, Denethor put a lot of pressure on Boromir to be victorious. Denethor saw Boromir as Gondor's last hope in winning, and put a lot of pressure on Boromir to be a leader of men, and to bring back this "great gift," as Denethor hints at in Minas Tirith. He tells Gandalf "Boromir would have brought it (the ring) back to me." (yes I paraphrased). That's why when Boromir dies, Denethor slips drastically down hill believing all is lost.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-03-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:27 PM   #36
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Lal, if Denethor was the only case of eating slobbishly, I would agree with you. But, as pointed out in one of my previous posts Jackson has a tendancy to do this in each of the movies, making it look like he just put it in there for the heck of it, and nothing to do with showing Denethor's character.
I'll give you that one then - taken in context with the rest of such instances in the films, I can see that Denethor's eating habits might look undignified! It's interesting though, how these touches of crude humour made it into the films - after all, PJ did make zombie films; I suppose we ought to be grateful none of the Orcs were seen wielding Flymos.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #37
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Favourite character is a toughie. There are quite a few who would make it onto my shortlist. I think overall though, I'd have to go for Theoden. I was so terrified that they were going to leave the Ride of the Rohirrim out of the film and when they came to it and then Bernard Hill delivered it as beautifully as he did it was one of the highlights of the trilogy. I also felt that Hill really captured that recovery from his ensnarement by Saruman well- in particular the scene where he says: 'It is a cruel fate that any parent should live to see their child's funeral.' (para.). I also felt that he encapsulated that sense of satisfied achievement in his death speech to Eowyn particularly well, as though he felt he had finally righted the wrongs and died for a noble cause.
Now, my worst character. I'm afraid this is a not-too-shortlist. I'm going to have to just come out and say that it's Elrond, though. There are just too many things which I feel aren't right about him. Firstly, and I'm going to get this out of the way and not mention it any further, I don't think he's beautiful enough to be an elf. Secondly, there's the way he plays the father. Sure, there are the times when he looks after Arwen in TTT and the look as he nods for her to approach Aragorn in Minas Tirith in ROTK, but overall I just found him a sly, manipulative, low-down double-crossin' varmit! Ahem. No, but seriously, I found him to be very manipulative. And then finally there was the snobbishness that I just didn't get a sense of in the books. In the films he seems dismissive of Frodo's chances as well as those of man, and overconfident in his own gift of foresight. I really thought that missed the mark for Elrond, and it didn't impress me at all.
Ok then, there you are... now let me have it!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #38
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots The results thus far...

...the best character is Theoden.

...the worst characters are Legolas and Denethor.

If you haven't voted, please do. Let's try and make this more representative of the Downers.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #39
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Ok Eomer, best, well it’s a close one between Treebeard, I love his line (amongst others): “My business is with Isengard tonight!…” and Éowyn. I guess the Shieldmaiden shades it on account of the fact that she does have more of a spiritual and physical journey across the films, and I feel that Miranda captures her Rohirric passion and humanity almost perfectly.
Worst, hmmm, it’s a close call between a few: Denethor, and eyeball Sauron were annoying and weak, but none more so in my mind than Gothmog the pigsy Orc, I still wince at his 80s horror make-up and laughable attempts at intimidation.
'…Avallónė, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressėa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Nśmenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #40
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Bilbo was great, as was Boromir, Gandalf, and Gimli. I'll probably have to go with Boromir as the best since he's one of my favorite book characters. Sean Bean did an awesome job.

I didn't particularly like Faramir, Elrond, Arwen, and Galadriel. I think that Wenham did a great job with the part that he was given, but his part stunk. They should've stuck with the book on Faramir.

They also strayed too far from the book with Arwen. Movie Arwen wasn't the real Arwen, plus I agree with Lalwende that Liv was wooden and expressionless. The only thing she had going for her was first rate looks.

Elrond was also different from the books (and in most cases "different from the books" translates to "worse than the books"). He was mean, stubborn, and irritable in the movie. There was almost zero warmth, except at the end when he came to Minas Tirith and then he just looked cheesy.

My main beef with Galadriel was her looks. Galadriel was supposed to be tied with Arwen for the most beautiful living being in all of Middle-Earth. She sure didn't look it. Cate's a good actress and all, but they should've cast somebody more stunning for Galadriel.

So, who's the worst? Elrond narrowly beats out his daughter, Arwen, probably because I didn't expect much of Arwen, where as Elrond I expected an awful lot out of because he's my favorite character in Lord of the Rings. I was very disappointed.

It's not Hugo's fault though. He did what he was told. I blame this one on PJ.