The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2003, 04:38 AM   #1
Rosolas
Animated Skeleton

Rosolas has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Has anybody gone to see the films on their own?

I went to see TTT last night on my own. Why? Because none of my friends are into the Lord of the Rings that much. They said they would wait until the films came out on video! Believe it or not, there are people out there where are not into this fine collection of works.<P>Anyway, I decided I didn't want to wait until TTT came out on video, like I did with the FoTR, so I went to the cinema by myself. The cinema was quite full, but I got there early and I noticed as people were coming into the theatre that there were probably only one or two people who had gone on their own to watch it. <P>Is there anybody on this forum who went by themselves, or am I the only strange one amongst you all??
Rosolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:19 AM   #2
Narmo

Pipe

Don't worry about having to go on your own, I don't know about other people but let me put it this way: I've gone to see TTT 7 times and each time I've gone on my own. Of course that might not be the movie, it might just be me . . .
Old 01-11-2003, 07:31 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I saw TTT alone two out of three times. The first time was for the midnight premiere, and no one else wanted to lose sleep for it. The second time was when the local cinema showed it in English, and since I'm the only one of family and friends here that understands enough English, I went alone then too. I don't mind - I often go to concerts and the theater alone if I'm the only one interested.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 01:12 PM   #4
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first time I saw TTT, I went alone (and also the second time for FoTR). Nobody else was interested in going, but I don't mind at all. When you watch a movie, you aren't chit chatting anyway, so.....I'm just happy to be able to get away from the household duties and children to see it! In fact, alone is cool!
Old 01-11-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Hmm, I haven't seen it on my own, but since I'm an on-line reviewer I DID take notes one of the times.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:13 PM   #6
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought of another reason why going it alone works well for me. I wear earplugs because the sound is way too loud. (WAY too loud! ) When I'm with my hubby, I have to take the earplugs out to speak, and hear a possible response, which is a hassle. I have to agree with the people who would rather wait for the film to come out on video, going to the movies is crap! Of course, I'm a LoTR fanatic, and must torture myself at the movies because I can't wait that long! I'm ready for viewing number three. Earplugs and earmuffs, and still it is too loud! So, Rosolas, didn't you enjoy it anyway!? <p>[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 01-11-2003, 04:19 PM   #7
Rosolas
Animated Skeleton

Rosolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes I did enjoy it. I would eally like to see it again. The battle at Helm's Deep was so intense.<P>Before I saw it, some people I spoke to said it wasn't as good as RoTR. But I disagree with them.
Rosolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 12:37 AM   #8
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I went on my own onetime , and the other time with friends. I actually would have preferred to go by myself both times because my friends just didn't appreciate it like I did. They aren't Tolkienites (except one) so when all they could say at the end of the film was "Gollum was a weirdo" it irked me just a TAD!<p>[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: -Imrahil- ]
Old 01-12-2003, 03:44 AM   #9
thalioniathiel
Animated Skeleton

thalioniathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I went to TTT alone and don't mind it at all. I actually prefer going to movies alone, because I get so immersed in a movie that I like to just absorb it after it is over. I don't like being jolted back to reality by immediate discussions on how we liked the movie, and I don't feel so embarrassed if the movie made me cry if I'm alone.
thalioniathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 05:14 AM   #10
PigsnieLite
Pile O'Bones

PigsnieLite has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I actually skipped skizool to see TT the third time. Luckily, the person at the booth didnt ask whut I wuz doin at the cinema so early in the afternoon. Anyways, I enjoyed it wid or widout my mates. (Im actually glad my friend Tooly came only once, becuz he is always hootin the Ents.)
Old 01-12-2003, 11:47 AM   #11
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dūm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I saw FotR by myself because my parents wanted to go see K-19 I think. But it was still fun.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:59 PM   #12
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, but that is only because I can't get to a theatre by myself. If I could have I would have.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:10 PM   #13
Deathless One

Sting

I've gone to the movies alone and I kinda like it. I've taken my sister with me both times to see TTT. I think I have turned her into a fanatic.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:41 PM   #14
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't actually see FoTR at the cinema (I was a little apprehensive) but I saw TTT twice. The first time I went with my brother, who hasn't actually seen FoTR or read it so he had no idea what was going on. A little annoying, because he kept on asking me 'who's that, why are they there, isn't he dead, etc etc'! Which explains why I prefer to go on my own.<BR>I went by myself the second time and I prefer going alone. I can get really stuck in to the movie without having to worry about others. It can be my own experience. I saw TTT only last week, so there were only about 5 other people in the cinema, which was cool!<BR>I think I will be seeing RoTK alone, and a few months after it's released (don't worry, I can hold on) because I don't think I want to have to sit in a cinema full of a load of screaming kids, chair-wobblers, question askers, talking people and Legolas lovers.<BR>Going to the cinema is stressful enough!
Old 04-24-2003, 02:02 PM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hate going with other people. Unless there is no way I can avoid it, I will get straight down to the cinema on my own. I saw Fotr about 8 out of 10 times alone, and TTT about 7 out of 11 times alone.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:58 PM   #16
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

My mom stood me up to see FotR. <P>It's Ok, because I got back at her by screaming "Wouldn't it have been AMAZING to see this on the big screen?!?!?!?!?!" at every cool scene when I got her to watch the DVD. <P>And she acknowledged the error of her ways, and was with me on TTT's opening night. And she bought the popcorn too.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:21 AM   #17
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Everdawn never goes to the movies alone...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:59 AM   #18
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

I went to see TTT with my friends the first time but we ate before we went into the theatre and I got food poisoning and threw up in the middle of the movie! I missed the best parts too! I went alone after that(no eating). A word to the wise,(chew on gum, not your tounge) don't eat before you see a movie! I'm random today.....
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 02:08 PM   #19
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw FotR in the cinema several times on my own. I've seen TTT once on my own, too. I have no close living friends as interested as I am.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 06:13 AM   #20
Becca

Tolkien

none of my mates think that LotR is that good, so i end up goin to watch the films in the cinema on my own, i dont mind. when i tell my friends that i watched the dvd at the weekend, they think im wierd. its not wierd having a passion for something.<p>[ April 27, 2003: Message edited by: Elvish Princess ]
Old 06-21-2003, 06:18 PM   #21
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've seen TTT on my own 14 out of 16 times. It was showing at the discount theatre until this weekend. I went with Tolkien friends who live in another city on New Year's Day; and took my 3 grandchildren (ages 7, 8 & 9) about 6 weeks ago. I actually prefer going by myself as I get very involved and speak the dialogue for each character (silently of course).
Old 06-22-2003, 11:25 AM   #22
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Unfortunatly, I have no friends as obsessed as I am, and even more unfortunatly, they are all fully-fledged Legolas fangirls. Very annoying when you are trying to watch a movie.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:56 PM   #23
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

Well actually the sec. time I went to see TTT I believe my entire family went to see it with me! we took up two rows in the theatre! But I do believe when I saw FOTR I just went to see it with my mom.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:40 PM   #24
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw both movies w/friends or family. For the first showing of both, my sister and I got a HUGE group of people from school who are all fairly obsessed with LotR (some more than others). There was about 20 of us for each, it was awesome. We'll probably get more for RotK. The only thing I didn't enjoy about seeing it with others was that during TTT a friend and I did a running book-to-movie comparison, which ruined it for me because I got all negative about what they left out rather than how cool the movie was. But it was still pretty awesome to have that many friends to wait in line for THREE AND A HALF HOURS with you!
Old 06-24-2003, 05:43 PM   #25
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

I only saw FotR once in theaters, and that was with my then-boyfriend and some friends of ours. The boyfriend wanted to see it 'cause he loved the books (well, he'd only gotten through the first...), and it looked really interesting, so I thought "what the heck." And here I am now, a bigger LotR fan than he is. <P>Out of the four times I saw TTT, I was by myself twice. I wanted to go alone the first time because my friends don't really like LotR as much as I do, and they have a somewhat irksome tendency to talk through the entire movie... the second time I went with my guy friends, third time I went alone again, and the fourth time I went with my gal friends. I would've gone more by myself, but I ran out of money.
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:43 PM   #26
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I did not go to see FOTR on my own, but I did go and see TTT once by myself. I did it because I was so tired of asking everyone if they wanted to go, and getting responses of "oh, I'm sorry, I really can't go" that one Sunday afternoon I just decided to drive over there and go by myself. I would have gone more by myself but my mother would not let me go to the 9 o'clock show on Saturday night, because I would not get home until after 11 and she thought that was too late.<P>It is kind of good because once you are into a movie you really don't want to talk to your friends around you. And it also makes it much easier to get a really great seat in a crowded theater
Old 06-24-2003, 07:33 PM   #27
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

i didnt see FotR till it was on dvd, and i saw TTT 4 times, once on my own because me and my parents were travelling and were in Las Vegas and their was a theatre in the hotel but they wanted to gamble instead, so i saw it by myself but still enjoyed it
Old 06-24-2003, 10:06 PM   #28
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay I have to be honest, the only reason I didn't go by myself was because there are two things for females to worry about...robery and rape. I took martial arts and can defend myself ...but I still worry.What with alll those similiar stories I heard on the news. Therefore I go with my friends.
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:22 PM   #29
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

When I went to see the films, I got a bit fanatical. The first 10 showings of TTT I found people to go with, but those 1am showings no one else wanted to see.<P>By the 16th showing however, I couldn't find anyone day or night to go with me.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:41 PM   #30
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
White-Hand

*raises her hand* I did. My mom came the first time (for both movies), but then the second time (for both movies), I had to go alone. <P>Believe it or not, I don't know ANYONE who wanted to go see the LotR films with me. But then again, most of my friends are guys who would consider it a date if they went. They're just stupid, though. Heh.