The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #161
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
While people sort out the money they now owe me I think we should start a discussion on what kinds of crazy adventures we want to have!
Ancient castles, hills, parks, mountains, hills, famous landmarks, more hills, Ferris wheels, dancing, hills again, and possibly some forests. BRING COSTUMES!

THIS is the website of the cottage we'll be staying at, and if you click on 'attractions' it'll tell you what's close by. But if there's other stuff you've got your heart set on we will try and fit it in.
Bear in mind I think the Olympics are on around that time so we'd want to steer clear of London if at all possible.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 05-23-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #162
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The 2012 Robin Hood Festival from 13-19 August.

The tourism site for Nottinghamshire. That one should keep you busy, there's loads on it.

Peak District website. Again, packed with stuff.

Leicestershire and Lincolnshire are also worth looking up.

I think I must have been just about everywhere in the area! It's not possible to get bored! There's even a wurst shop in Bakewell...
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #163
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Bear in mind I think the Olympics are on around that time so we'd want to steer clear of London if at all possible.
The Olympics finish on the 12th and the Paralympics don't start til the 29th. Those who haven't been and may not get the chance for a while might want to consider it - though maybe consulting the scheduling.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #164
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Ancient castles, hills, parks, mountains, hills, famous landmarks, more hills, Ferris wheels, dancing, hills again, and possibly some forests.
All of these sound fun.

I can't help thinking that we should get our costumey types together and make a film. Maybe follow a secondary Fellowship that ultimately fails because it falls afoul of a theme park?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #165
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You're lucky for theme parks because you have the UK's most famous and biggest (and most expensive) theme park, Alton Towers nearby! Bear in mind it's the school summer holidays so it will be packed with kids, but the good thing is you might also spot some money off voucher scheme things running or even get a group booking. If I see any then I'll save them or point them out! I have to add, I've never been there because I'm too tight fisted to pay

I'd avoid London at all costs unless there are any masochists in the group - we're in the middle of planning for the O'lympick period at work and have been told to cut workplace attendance down to a maximum of 40%. Our London colleagues have been asked to work from home, from elsewhere in the UK or to take leave. This is if you can get anywhere around the capital - tube and rail stations will be closed.

Folks on fb know about my weather forecasts (my sad weather obsession, you might say) and I think it's going to be a traditional British summer. Some sun, maybe some hot days, but also some rain and cloud and murk. It looks as though the north of the UK will be warmer than average, the south not so much so, but with a general trend in August for warmer, drier weather.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #166
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post

I can't help thinking that we should get our costumey types together and make a film. Maybe follow a secondary Fellowship that ultimately fails because it falls afoul of a theme park?
Alas, I am not a costumey type at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
"I'd avoid London at all costs." "tube and rail stations will be closed."
And what about changing trains in London?? National Rail Enquiries tells me even that I have to walk from one railway station(St.Pancras) to another(King's Cross) on my way to Retford (which seems the nearest train station to "our" cottage, and I still have to find out how to proceed from there) Anyhow, I would like to know how on earth we are going to get around and see places when so many of us come from abroad and have no car...
Old 06-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #167
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
'Walking' from King's Cross to St Pancras really does mean that as they are quite literally 2 minutes apart. That really won't be a problem.

Guinevere - Car-wise I will certainly have mine as I'll be driving up. I'm there the whole two weeks so can do lifts as needed from train stations. Hook is learning to drive so there will be another car. There are sure to be hire car places around so as long as there is an adult with a driving license we can get hold of more car places when needed.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #168
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The four of us (two adults, two then teens) plus large suitcases each and carry-ons/back packs easily walked from Kings Cross to the next station on our first trip to London. The architecture along the way makes it a very interesting walk. (We arrived via train from York to discover an emergency had closed King's Cross tube station.)

If you are at King's Cross rail station, do look for platform 9ľ.

Not all tube stations will be closed all the time. Here's what the Tube has made available online now for planning:

London Tube during the Olympics

But as Mithalwen said to me, London is very good at moving large numbers of people efficiently.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #169
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

No fear, Guinevere, St Pancras and Kings Cross are virtually the same place and those stations are still OK for access! I hear Liverpool St will be subject to restrictions but that's if you are coming from the south/south west of London. It's if you start wanting to go and look at the 'sights' in London that it will be a bit scary while the running and jumping fest is on. It's not only that Tube stations will be shut but to take one tourist area, Whitehall and Westminster (obviously, where our London offices are) will basically become a sports arena and even access to the parks around the Mall will be restricted.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #170
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I've started making a little spreadsheet to help us make decisions on what kinds of things we want to be doing on this happy trip of a life time. It's just some ideas and suggestions right now, so feel free to chip in suggestions and new ideas. Nothing will be concrete and we can change anything... Apart maybe from RotR...

Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #171
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I demand a Tolkien themed costume party. Some night or other.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #172
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I demand a Tolkien themed costume party. Some night or other.
Ooh! Good point! Maybe the first Sunday as there will be little else goin on. Or maybe after the Robin Hood festival as I imagine there will be costume buying opportunities there!

Also, do we have a definitive answer on who will be attending on what weeks/days? That'll help with the planning.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #173
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes an extra column with the names of the people there next to the day would be great! I am intending to be there the full two weeks. The things on that list look fab though we will need to look out half price/group offers for Alton Towers or we'll all be broke after that day. We will also need to work out number of people in relation to number of spaces in the cars ...

EDIT: In the spirit of helpful information I will have three spaces realistically, four spaces if you're fairly small and willing to squish! (I'm looking at Agan and Greenie here!)
Old 06-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #174
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I think you would be fairly spoilt for choice with castles and historic houses all around the region so here's a few I recommend:

Bolsover Castle. The Castle might not be medieval but is pure fairytale. This one was remodelled to be a Cavalier's pleasure palace, there's the outer castle which is mostly wrecked apart from the huge riding school (Vienna is not the only place to have had one) and the Little Castle which isn't little, and is amazing. It's a pleasure house, panelled with all kinds of elaborate artwork and a few smutty Cavalier paintings too It also has a breathtaking view and lovely grounds, nice for picnics and running around.

Conisbrough Castle. This time, an actual medieval castle! Therefore, it's quite small, but is also a lot of fun to visit, and uniquely, it has a roof and floors so you won't just be looking up at the shell of a keep. You can go inside and explore and take photos sitting in the Lord's chair/garderobe etc (it's almost traditional to look for the garderobe in British castles and take a photo of someone sitting on it....). They have their annual Pageant of Knights on 18/19 August, run by Escafeld, a local re-enactment group (who take things very seriously!).

Chatsworth. Very famous, very expensive and very lovely. This is Mr Darcy's house in both the film and the novel. It's easy to spend the whole day looking around the house and grounds, and it's also possible just to pay to park for the day and wander across the estate rather than go in the house.

Haddon Hall. This one has been in loads of film and TV things from The Princess Bride to Jane Eyre. I love this place as it's about as close to a fairytale medieval manor house as it's possible to get.

A few other things......To the east, Lincoln isn't far and I'd recommend the Cathedral, which is a massive Gothic/Romanesque edifice and has cloisters which I think were used in Harry Potter. There is also the castle on the other part of the hilltop, and they have the Magna Carta. Walk up or down Steep Hill to enjoy the ancient buildings and lovely bookshops.

Newark is an under-rated gem, with a huge old market square with no modern buildings at all, and nearby is Southwell which is also ancient. Of course, there is the Sherwood Forest park, and attractions in Nottingham. There's also Cresswell Crags which have neolithic cave art - I've not been in many years though and now they have a new visitor centre so it's probably very different to how it was when I last went! And Newstead Abbey, Lord Byron's home. And various DH Lawrence visitor centres.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #175
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Also, do we have a definitive answer on who will be attending on what weeks/days? That'll help with the planning.
All this vagueness must be very awkward for you. I do hope you got your money !

As for me, I will arrive Tuesday 7.Aug., (around five o'clock, at Retford train station) and stay until the beginning of RotR.

I like your suggestions, except the theme park (not my cup of tea, and probably expensive and crowded)

All of Lalwende's suggestions sound great! I love castles and old town centres!!

Last edited by Guinevere; 06-09-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #176
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
All this vagueness must be very awkward for you. I do hope you got your money !

As for me, I will arrive Tuesday 7.Aug., (around five o'clock, at Retford train station) and stay until the beginning of RotR.

I like your suggestions, except the theme park (not my cup of tea, and probably expensive and crowded)

All of Lalwende's suggestions sound great! I love castles and old town centres!!
It's a fantastic area for history. It's known as the Dukeries because so many landed gentry had vast tracts of land in the East Midlands, and they tended to build a lot of castles and big houses (in the North West, the wealthy went in for buying Art rather than mansions - hence why the best galleries and museums are in Liverpool/Manchester). The towns tend to be old established ones so you also get lots of old buildings, where they have survived the ravages of the 20th century (Coventry was very nice, once, but it's a little bit grim now). Also places like Newark and Lincoln ended up 'out of the way' to some extent after the industrial revolution so they also managed to survive.

The nicest towns in the wider area are Lincoln, Newark, Southwell (where the Bramley apple comes from), York, Bakewell, Buxton. Nottingham is a little bit disappointing sadly. There are also plenty of things to see for fans of battlegrounds and literary sites.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #177
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm arriving at East Midlands Airport on Monday the 6th at 10.30 AM, and leaving on Monday the 20th around noon. I still don't know if I'm going to ROTR though - I should just sit down, count the pennies and make up my mind soon.

I like all the suggestions so far (except I'm not too excited about overpriced theme parks either because I'm a boring miser). Basically I'll be happy doing almost anything.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #178
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

More than one activity can of course occur on most days too. Just so long as we have a few drivers/cars.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #179
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

If we get a group deal for Alton Towers it's Ł25 each, ish. But from what I recall of old school trips there it's worth it. We'll see, though, it's not compulsory.

Anyone else have dates confirmed? I'll update this as we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
More than one activity can of course occur on most days too. Just so long as we have a few drivers/cars.
Indeed! We want to do plenty of stuff, of course!

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 06-10-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #180
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'll be arriving Monday, the 6th and going to RotR on Thursday, the 16th. I'm not particularly interested in the theme park, but will happily join in sightseeing the surrounding area, cities, and literary/historical sites.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #181
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

By the way - does anyone have any more information about the horses they mention in the cottage reviews and in Leasure activities: horse riding?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #182
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I'm planning to pop over on odd free days with the childe, being as it's so near home I can just come in the car. I'm scheduled to work for part of that time but I only work Tuesday-Thursday anyway. I'm quite content to see how I can fit in with your schedule. I wouldn't put me down for Alton Towers, because I'm far too old for centrifugal vomit inducing machines Any days I can come over then there will be at least one seat in my car (I'm not so sure davem will want to come along, and even so, he will likely be at work) so long as you don't mind occasional Anglo Saxon descriptions of other road users.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #183
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oliphaunts_Rule and I will be arriving on Monday, staying at the cabin til the end.

We're planning on staying in the country until the 27th, so if anyone has a backyard or field where we can maybe set up Hooky's tent of DOOM, let us know.

The waterpark part of Alton Towers sounds fun, but neither of us can do many other rides. (Why does everything have to spinnnnnnn)

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #184
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Myself

Just to say that I'll be arriving in Loughborough on Wednesday, 15th August, the day before RotR starts. While I'll meet you all at the conference itself, if anyone's around the day before...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #185
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Poison Ivy and I will be arriving at Luffburrah on Thursday, just before the Opening Ceremony--and departing Monday just before noon.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #186
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Hey so looks like I'll be leaving the 17th now as I've just been invited to a wedding on the 18th.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #187
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Okay, so I've got a sort of plan for our big meet up on Monday the 6th of August.

Nottingham is the closest big city to the cottage, so I'd advise us all trying to get there as best we can. I'd advise going by train and then we can all meet up in or near the station. I'll give my mobile phone number to anyone who thinks they might need it (PM me).
The plan is that I will hopefully be able to get a hire car (hopefully with at least 7 seats) and will drive on down to the cottage to get the keys etc and then head to Nottingham to pick as many people up as possible. If anyone is arriving at Manchester or Liverpool Airport on Monday, let me know and I may be able to pick you up first and drop you off at the cottage, leaving more space for people from Nottingham.
It's about a three hour drive from Manchester to Nottingham, so hopefully I'll be able to get there in good time. I want us all to be at the cottage for no later than, say, 19:00, if that's possible?

If you've any questions, please ask as I've probably overlooked a lot of things.

Other business...

Entertainment
I've acquired some free tickets to Alton Towers (it's one of, if not the, biggest theme parks in Britain), so if there's anyone wanting to go to that at a knock down price, we can do that. We can also arrange other activities on the same day for those not interested.
I've been making a short-list of cool things to go see that are in reasonable distance. Things like castles, forests, caves, museums, swimming, the zoo, boat rides, steam engine rides, and so on. If there's anything you've got your heart set on, let me know.
I think we should try and plan for more than one thing per day, so if people don't want to go swimming they can go to a castle, for example. I don't think there should be too rigid a plan, and we can discuss final plans once we're all there.

FANCY DRESS
Please bring costumes so we can have a costume party at some point. This will probably be at the cottage or maybe in Sherwood forest for those of us who want cool photo opportunities in Middle Earthy locations.

Other things
- I'd advise bringing a sleeping bag, though there is bed space for up to 12, not everyone may be comfortable sharing a bed. Especially with Aganzir, aka, THE BITER OF HUMAN FLESH. I'll be bringing two air-mattresses, so that should also help. I may invest in a third.
- If you want to go to any kind of watery activity (swimming, boating, or the water park at Alton Towers), bring spare towels and whatnot.
- Feel free to bring computers and stuff; the cottage has free wireless internet! So the Downs can be updated on our adventures and make all you none-mooters jealous!!
- Bring something for wet weather. England is unpredictable.
- If Rune decides to show up, someone please bring a safe we can keep the booze in!!

I can't think of anything else right now...
Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #188
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Pipe

As I mentioned on the Facebook page I'll be driving up. I'll either do that on Monday 6th or stay with a friend of mine in Nottingham for the weekend. Either way I'll be in Nottingham on the sixth. I'll be at RotR for the duration (Thursday to Sunday) and since I'll have my car I could turn up there at any time. If it comes to it I'm still happy to hire the car, and I'll work out how to arrange to get both my own car and our hire vehicle to the cottage nearer the time. Lifts may be required.

I don't know what everyone else thinks of this, but I always used to like the Old Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham, although there are lots of other places to meet as well.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #189
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Congratulations!

While I won't be going to the meet up on Monday, 6th August, I congratulate you, Hookbill, for organising it!

I (and I'm sure many others in this forum) will be interested to know how things went.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #190
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
It's been a long journey, and hard. But at last we have managed to decide, ensure, make clear and book our coming and going to Britain at this point, soo... it's my privilege to confirm that me and Lommy shall be attending the Moot after all

We would like to arrive (we do not know how yet, I think that is the next step, but that has time) sometime on Wednesday the 15th (probably evening-ish, if we can make it so), we'll be coming from London... We've been contemplating also attending RotR at least for one day (probably Saturday sounds the best at this point), but everything is still open for us. In any case, if we do visit RotR, we definitely want to use it as an opportunity to meet as many 'Downers as possible, among other things.

We are both leaving on Monday (via London), so I guess that just goes along with the general dismissal of the Fellowship.

Finally I don't feel like complete outsider when checking this page
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #191
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Legate, day tickets are I think available for RotR. I've posted the programme on the FB Downs page, so I think you can tell what is available each day.

When do you fly out of London? Is it via Heathrow?

I have the great delight of spending three hours in Terminal 3 waiting for my 6 pm flight home on Monday. Any chance you andLommy will be in that terminal at that time?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #192
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Legate, day tickets are I think available for RotR. I've posted the programme on the FB Downs page, so I think you can tell what is available each day.
Somehow I didn't seem to find anything on FB. But we've been checking the preliminary programs on the RotR's website, and that was what we have based our plans on. But since they were not very elaborate, if there is anything more elaborate elsewhere, I'd be happy to see it...

Quote:
When do you fly out of London? Is it via Heathrow?

I have the great delight of spending three hours in Terminal 3 waiting for my 6 pm flight home on Monday. Any chance you andLommy will be in that terminal at that time?
Alas! We are both leaving (unless I am mistaken in Lommy's case) via Gatwick. It is around 6PM, but apparently wrong airport
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 07-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #193
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Alas! We are both leaving (unless I am mistaken in Lommy's case) via Gatwick. It is around 6PM, but apparently wrong airport
Darn! It's such a small little island you'd think it would be easy to connect. My train leaves Loughborough at, I think, 11:45, arriving at St. Pancreas. Poison Ivy has my ticket so I can't check the time yet.

Here's the third progress report for an update on activities.

Progress Report 3, Return of the Ring
Old 07-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #194
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Darn! It's such a small little island you'd think it would be easy to connect. My train leaves Loughborough at, I think, 11:45, arriving at St. Pancreas. Poison Ivy has my ticket so I can't check the time yet.

Here's the third progress report for an update on activities.

Progress Report 3, Return of the Ring
Ah yes, so this is the same one we saw. But anyway - even though we are not going to leave from the same airport, if there is still time to meet somewhere else, I think that would be really nice. Like I said, we are still in the stage of arranging our timetables and especially transports inside Britain, so we can take all of this into account... especially once you know your time of arrival... and all that (I think we can keep in PM-contact or something and figure things out, but it is not like *we* are going to proceed very fast with it, I think ).
Old 07-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #195
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
11.42 arriving just after one at St Pancras. Gatwick - Heathrow is a pain in the whatsit. Just because they are nominally London Airports doesn't mean they are close together!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #196
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

That said, trains and tubes to Heathrow and Gatwick both leave from most London train stations. So you could meet near a train station that will take you to both airports (Victoria definitely links to both) for a drink.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #197
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Don't underestimate the chaos that the Olympic period will bring to travel plans, and make sure to use this resource to see if stations and routes will be closed or subject to delays!

http://www.london2012.com/spectators/travel/

I can't stress that enough. We've been through weeks of planning for the events at work.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #198
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
That said, trains and tubes to Heathrow and Gatwick both leave from most London train stations. So you could meet near a train station that will take you to both airports (Victoria definitely links to both) for a drink.
Maybe better to meet at ROTR. There isn't a huge amount of leeway - that was the latest train compatible with being reasonably confident of BB making her check in and even though the Olympics will have finished over a week earlier there can be problems on the tube in the normal run of things.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #199
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Quote:
Darn!!My train from Loughborough leaves 11:20 - it's the same direction as yours, Bęthberrybut I can't take the 11:45 train because apparently that one doesn't stop at Luton Airport! (my flight from Luton leaves at 14:50)

I could tear my hair out in frustration that I booked my flight so early!! Had I known there was a Birmingham tour on Monday, and that Esty would arrive & leave from Birmingham airport I could have flown to Birmingham as well (though it would be much more expensive) Grrr!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #200
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

That is a shame but the Loughborough trains arrive in London only four minutes apart so there was no material advantage to go for the earlier train for BB and PI. It is a shame that they announced the trip at a time when most overseas visitors would have already booked flights