The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #81
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raefindel View Post
You said my house was very elven, yet I made no attempt to hide the modern conveniences.

Just bring in what style you can and it will work.

Okay. I will try to remember that! Since your laundry is tucked under your stairs, it's less of an issue, I guess. My laundry is a rather large space, which I would like to make more enjoyable. But you are right. I have to work around what is there, to some degree.

Turning the lolly columns into trees is getting more interesting; because then, the clotheslines could go between the trees. Kind of funny.

I think I want the woodstove area to be like a cave or maybe a foundry or maybe a sort of stone dell. I could transition from the laundry forest into the woodstove cave... The well equipment could either stay there, looking out of place, or I could put up a light cover (plywood) around them that is removable to get at the well equipment, and paint that too.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #82
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
That's not a bad idea, Beregond. I've done something similar to the beams in my ceiling. They would have been too difficult to refinish so we bought new wood and wraped it around them.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #83
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
I think I want the woodstove area to be like a cave or maybe a foundry or maybe a sort of stone dell. I could transition from the laundry forest into the woodstove cave... The well equipment could either stay there, looking out of place, or I could put up a light cover (plywood) around them that is removable to get at the well equipment, and paint that too.
Be ecologically responsible (in imitation of our elf friends!). For your cave, they now have cast concrete that exactly mimics stone (in fact, the concrete is poured in molds made from real stone):

http://www.themoldstore.com/

It's much cheaper than real stone and concrete can be recycled.

Also, consider recycled log products rehabbed from demolished old barns and buildings. You'll get the ancient look without cutting down more forests:

http://www.vintagelog.com/lumber.htm

Check out vintaglog.com's section on fireplace mantels and chimneys for some really neat rehabbed stone products as well -- including an actual iron foundry!

Last edited by Morthoron; 01-05-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #84
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Leaf

Trust me, this has to be low-budget! Stones will be painted, not pointed... I will only be able to do wood-over-lolly if I can find a way to do it very VERY cheaply. Otherwise I will choose between painting on grey bark or brown bark, and then figuring out how to smooth the shape into the ceiling beams (which will then become branches, I think/hope.). Since I love beech trees, and they are very smooth and slender, I may go with beech, hence grey, and that will thematically roll into grey stones rather nicely as well.

I will be making (or buying?) a beech leaf stencil or stamp. I'm thinking of making a beech branch stencil (or three). THe beech tree could be the major unifying theme (at least one beech per room?)

Last edited by mark12_30; 01-05-2009 at 12:19 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #85
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
http://www.vintagelog.com/lumber.htm

Check out vintaglog.com's section on fireplace mantels and chimneys for some really neat rehabbed stone products as well -- including an actual iron foundry!

Oh, the foundry looks stunning. And that shows me the best way to paint the stones-- stacked flatstone. (Very Rhode Island, actually-- my instinct, being from Mass/ME, is fieldstone, which is MUCH harder to paint-- but the stacked flatstone is a cinch to paint, and everyone from Rhode Island will instantly recognize it-- Yay!)

Thanks, Morthoron!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #86
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Be ecologically responsible (in imitation of our elf friends!).
Morth,

You might like this website. I'm not sure about the structural integrity of the framework, but it's still quite informative.

http://www.simondale.net/house/

Quote:
You are looking at pictures of a house I built for our family in Wales. It was built by myself and my father in law with help from passers by and visiting friends. 4 months after starting we were moved in and cosy. I estimate 1000-1500 man hours and Ł3000 put in to this point. Not really so much in house buying terms (roughly Ł60/sq m excluding labour).

The house was built with maximum regard for the environment and by reciprocation gives us a unique opportunity to live close to nature. Being your own (have a go) architect is a lot of fun and allows you to create and enjoy something which is part of yourself and the land rather than, at worst, a mass produced box designed for maximum profit and convenience of the construction industry. Building from natural materials does away with producers profits and the cocktail of carcinogenic poisons that fill most modern buildings.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #87
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
Morth,

You might like this website. I'm not sure about the structural integrity of the framework, but it's still quite informative.
Yes, that site has been around for quite a while. It is indeed an amazing structure; unfortunately, being a curmudgeonly old Hobbit accustomed to modern conveniences, I would not have it as a primary residence. But it would make a great place for camping in the summer, as my back can no longer withstand hard ground and sleeping bags for more than a day or two. I'd construct such an edifice up on the shores of Lake Superior or Lake Michigan and hang out there until the autumn winds chased me back south.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #88
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I can't tell you how inspiring that house is, Andsigil. To make such an uber cool abode, and to do it so cheaply ($6000 USD? You can't buy a new car for that). Doesn't it make you want to go out, buy a section of forest or meadow, and erect a Hobbit House?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #89
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

That type of structure is very cool and although it works in the UK, their downfall in the US is that they are NOT INSURABLE. In fact they probablly don't come close to meeting building code.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #90
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
That type of structure is very cool and although it works in the UK, their downfall in the US is that they are NOT INSURABLE. In fact they probablly don't come close to meeting building code.
Most wood framed buildings are unmortgageable in the UK - in fact pretty much the only homes you can easily get mortgages for are standard ones built with proper brick/stone on foundations (and you're lucky if you can get a mortgage on one of those these days ...).

Building regulations are also extremely strict these days and councils can order yo to pull down all sorts of things - our attic room wouldn't be allowed these days for example, but thankfully cannot be removed as it's been there 120 years
Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #91
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
However since the building cost was so low ...mortgage /insurance isn't really an issue - planning is a minefield - a weighted towards the mass developer... I'd be suprised if this had planning permission.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #92
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
I can't tell you how inspiring that house is, Andsigil. To make such an uber cool abode, and to do it so cheaply ($6000 USD? You can't buy a new car for that). Doesn't it make you want to go out, buy a section of forest or meadow, and erect a Hobbit House?
Quote:
Well, there are a lot ways to adapt to building codes and still live in an uber-cool house:

Earth Sheltered House

Other pictures here:
http://www.rogerdean.com/architecture/index.htm
Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #93
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Hmmm, maybe somebody should open an architecture thread...

Has anyone done a tree stencil?

I'm not afraid of drawing a large tree; what I am afraid of is running out of time while I work on the leaves. SO in my daydreams, I think I can paint the tree trunks freehand, and then stencil on the leaves, or stamp them, or a combination of the two. But then I think of the volume of trees I want to put on the wall, it gets daunting.

So: painting the trunk, then stanciling or stamping the leaves... ?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #94
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Leaf

I actualy cleaned the room upstairs, and rearranged all the stuff that was everywhere. Lots of it went onto the walls. Now there isn't much room for more.

Maybe I rearranged myself into a corner.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #95
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

I've both painted trees and used stencils. But stencils are so small they are good for little other than borders. We can easily paint a tree, mural-size, on the wall. If it doesn't look right, hey, it's just paint, go over it.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #96
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
Well, there are a lot ways to adapt to building codes and still live in an uber-cool house:

Earth Sheltered House

Other pictures here:
http://www.rogerdean.com/architecture/index.htm
Is it just me and my faulty glasses, or are there no doors to the bedrooms?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #97
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Is it just me and my faulty glasses, or are there no doors to the bedrooms?
You have to look at it in context, Beth. Roger Dean is best known as designing all the album covers for the band Yes in the 70's; therefore, like the covers and the music, the house is so ethereal that one merely floats into the room through one of those window-like apertures in the wall.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #98
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
You have to look at it in context, Beth. Roger Dean is best known as designing all the album covers for the band Yes in the 70's; therefore, like the covers and the music, the house is so ethereal that one merely floats into the room through one of those window-like apertures in the wall.

Well, that's a better explanation than I came up with, thinking those rooms must have been designed for owners of lonely hearts, so they would never be used for any activity which is often indulged in privately, particularly when desirous of ensuring that children don't pop out of their safe nooks and go looking for strange noises.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #99
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm not sure I could live without a door.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #100
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Well, that's a better explanation than I came up with, thinking those rooms must have been designed for owners of lonely hearts...
Well, without doors it certainly would be a long distance runaround, or annoyingly roudabout, to say the least. And you and I would not be comfortable living there.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #101
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Leaf

Well, my room has a door, a rectangular one. Luckily it is made of nice wood. There's nice wood trim all through the upstairs.

I've rearranged my room a bit, put some things on the walls that had been taking up surface space, and pulled out more dark green table coverings (old tablecloths-- I had a set of dark green grapevine tablecloths we haven't used in years, so I put them on the dressers), and moved out the rugs that clashed (burgundy imitation- oriental; OK, but clashing with green vines and leaves...) Yesterday I made two stencils, one large vine-tendril (to match the bedspread) and one smallish, bare tree stencil (maybe eight inches tall.) But I have yet to paint anything with them.

I had a blue and grey rug that was vine-ish enough but the grey clashed. So I used fabric paint to paint green over the grey. I toned-down the paint a lot (I thought) but the green was still darker than I had planned. Oh well. It'll fade either by time or by walking on...

So the bedroom has a light-green-and-gold vine theme contrasting with the dark green grapevine theme. But some of the rugs are sea green. It almost works but not quite... maybe I can pick up the right rugs over time.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to put a ficus tree in the room. First I need to find the sheer curtain I took down and put away somewhere (I hope I didn't THROW it away) and paint some vines on that.

I think I need to be realistic about the basement, at least for a while. A few simple touches will have to do... although I'd LOVE to turn it into a forest-with-foundry... not this year.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #102
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Leaf

I'm collecting stencils and stamps... vines and leaves, leaves and vines.

If you can't take the elvish wannabe to the forest, why then take the forest to the elf-wannabe.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #103
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
I'm collecting stencils and stamps... vines and leaves, leaves and vines.

If you can't take the elvish wannabe to the forest, why then take the forest to the elf-wannabe.
Hmmm...perhaps around the door you can stencil the runes found on the Hollin Gate, overgrown with your vine and leaf stencils.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #104
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

That's a great Idea, Morthoron!

It's gonna be awesome, Helen! We'll come up with an exciting plan.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #105
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Morthoron, I love that idea. I could put up some runes of my own, and then tangle them. Now I shall have to think about what I would want to say over the door?

Maybe Mark 12:30... in elvish...

I know people hjave translated various sections of scriptures and prayers into elvish-- I should look those up too. SOme of the quotes could be in english, just in a elvish "font"-- beefore I entangle them in the vines!

Great idea!

Rae-- can't wait, can't wait. My husband is starting to wonder what is going to happen to his house...
Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #106
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Maybe Mark 12:30... in elvish...

I know people hjave translated various sections of scriptures and prayers into elvish-- I should look those up too. SOme of the quotes could be in english, just in a elvish "font"-- beefore I entangle them in the vines!
I love that idea too! Pretty original, but very cool. If you need help with transliteration I'm sure we'd love to help - but you may know your elvish already!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #107
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

My living room now has three wintry trees painted on the walls-- two in the righthand corner, and one on the left by the door. Leaves are very sparse yet. The walls are painted in semi gloss so the stencil paint takes over two DAYS to dry...!

Anyway it's progress. Covered our floor-lampstands with ivy, too. Now the lampshades look awkward.

I've been daydreaming about my wall-scripture in an elvish font... Mark 12:30 is the likely winner, and it will probably go on a slanted ceiling/wall, and then get covered (or partly covered) with ivy stencil. I found an ivy stencil that is appropriately wispy and wandering, I think.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #108
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

How big are the trees? Like feet or inches?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #109
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Baseboard to ceiling.

I'm going to need a LOT of leaves...

They looked better bare then partly covered with sparse leaves! I've taken pictures... (pause) The first two pictures show with recently added new leaves (sparse because the stencil paint dries SO SLOWLY!!!), the last two pictures were the original bare trees. I almost like bare better...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM2612.JPG (30.7 KB, 703 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2614.JPG (27.3 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2603.JPG (28.0 KB, 674 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2606.JPG (24.4 KB, 681 views)
Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #110
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Baseboard to ceiling.

I'm going to need a LOT of leaves...

They looked better bare then partly covered with sparse leaves! I've taken pictures... (pause) The first two pictures show with recently added new leaves (sparse because the stencil paint dries SO SLOWLY!!!), the last two pictures were the original bare trees. I almost like bare better...
Rome wasn't built in a day, Helen.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #111
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Leaves

If you're looking for leaves, you could always sponge them on. There is a mural at my school that has a tree with sponged on leaves, and it looks really nice!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #112
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Now here's a way to live amongst trees without painting them: an elven flet on the West Coast
Old 02-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #113
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

umm, that's a little over the top for me. I think I'd rather have a simple platform.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #114
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
umm, that's a little over the top for me. I think I'd rather have a simple platform.
See now, with me, I'd be afraid of rolling off the platform. And I definitely lack Helen's skill with art, so bringing trees into my house that way wouldn't work.

This is near a town where some of the family live, so the next time I'm out there, I might check it out. And if it's like living in a rubik's cube--er, sphere--I'll say you warned me.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #115
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Yeah, I'd have to put a rail or ropes like a ship on the edge.

Helen, You're doing so great I'm not sure why you think you need my help at all!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #116
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Question

Quote:
Helen, You're doing so great I'm not sure why you think you need my help at all!
Oh, trust me. I'll be much happier with your touches in place.

Need mountains in the distance, somewhere...

Need Smith of Wooton Major trees...

Need Raefindel's signature touches here and there (in faraway/close places...)
Old 03-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #117
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Today I put (painted) the ground under the tree, so it doesn't float in thin air just above the radiator any more.

The leaves take about three days to dry, but they do EVENTUALLY dry.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #118
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Tolkien

Quote:
Hmmm...perhaps around the door you can stencil the runes found on the Hollin Gate, overgrown with your vine and leaf stencils.
Still pondering this one, Morthoron! I think it's going to be Mark12:30; not sure I will use silver (oh come on, how can I NOT use Ithildin??? but the walls are very light colored.) THen the vines, around and entwining.

Light colored walls; Ithildin = silver colored. Pondering. Hmmmm.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #119
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Leaf

More leaves, and some ground so that they're not floating...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM2619.JPG (56.3 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2621.JPG (36.6 KB, 429 views)
Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #120
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

You, My dear Hobbit are an AWESOME artist!