The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #2161
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A lot of O's !

"My/ -o--/ are/ -o-e/ -eyo--/ re-a--/ a--/ ta-e/ --/ t-o---t/ o-/ me/; a-o-e/ -'m/ -e-t/, t-e/ -ast/ o-/ a--/ -rom/ -eat-erto-/ to/ t-e/ sea/."
Old 11-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #2162
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ah!! (insert smiley with lightbulb here) It's in the Tom Bombadil poems, from "Perry-The-Winkle":
Quote:
The Lonely Troll he sat on a stone
and sang a mournful lay:
'O why, O why must I live on my own
in the hills of Faraway?
My folk are gone beyond recall
and take no thought of me;
alone I'm left, the last of all
from Weathertop to the Sea.'
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #2163
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

correct, of course! Please proceed, Esty.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #2164
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Here we go with a new one:
Quote:
---- ----'-- ----, --- --'-- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- --.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-16-2006, 12:25 PM   #2165
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Is there an "X"?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #2166
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

X marks the... nothing

Sorry, phantom - no X! I hope that disappointment doesn't make you feel less welcome to this thread!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #2167
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I'm crushed.

Since the ever popular "X" didn't work, I'll change tactics and try the little used letter "R".
Old 11-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #2168
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Rx

Prescription: Two letters, to be taken away, since they are not needed here.

Sorry, no Rs either.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #2169
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

How about L then?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #2170
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Ls galore

---- ----'ll ----, --- --'ll l--- l--- ---- ---- l--- ---- --.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #2171
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

and some T please
Old 11-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #2172
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

T time

---- t---'ll ----, --- -t'll l--- l--- ---- t--- l--- ---- -t.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #2173
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

E please
Old 11-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #2174
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

L E T

---- t--e'll ---e, --- -t'll l--- le-- e--- t--- l--- ---e -t.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #2175
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

*puzzled*

can I have the Ss now?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #2176
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

L E T S

---- t--e'll ---e, --- -t'll l--- less e-s- t--- l--s ---e -t.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #2177
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

*still clueless*

O please
Old 11-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #2178
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

S T O L E (no Rx)

-o-- t--e'll -o-e, --- -t'll loo- less e-s- t--- l--s ---e -t.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #2179
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Hey, Esty,you wronged the Phantom! There is an R after all!!
Quote:
Your time'll come, and it'll look less easy than lays make it.
Tídwald speaking to Totta.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #2180
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Oh dear - I'm fallible!! I do humbly beg the phantom's pardon. And congratulations to you for getting the quote, Guinevere - carry on, please.

(That quote somehow seems to suit this morbid month...)
Old 11-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #2181
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you, Esty!

Many people would be glad for such an offer nowadays...

"---/, ----/!" (.....) "----/ ----/! -/ ----/ -/ ---/ ---/ ---/, ---/ ----/ -----/ -----/ -------/ -----/."

Last edited by Guinevere; 11-20-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #2182
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

R, please.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #2183
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

1 R

"---/, ----/!" (.....) "----/ ----/! -/ ----/ -/ ---/ --r/ ---/, ---/ ----/ -----/ -----/ -------/ -----/."
Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #2184
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It must be T-time then...
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 AM   #2185
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

not so many T's either, I'm sorry! (plus a corrected mistake)

"---/, ----/!" (.....) "----/ ----/! -/ ----/ -/ ---/ --r/ ---/, ---/ ----/ -----/ -----/ t---/ -----t/ ---t-/."
Old 11-21-2006, 08:21 AM   #2186
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Any Ssss, preciousss?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:25 AM   #2187
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Yess!

"---/, ---s/!" (.....) "----/ ----/! -/ ----/ -/ ---/ --r/ ---/, ---/ ----/ ----s/ -----/ t--s/ -----t/ --sts/."
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 AM   #2188
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

rats

Hmmm, still so many empty spaces - A, please.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #2189
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"---/, -a-s/!" (.....) "----/ -a--/! -/ -a--/ a/ ---/ --r/ ---/, a--/ ----/ -a--s/ -----/ t--s/ -a---t/ -asts/."
Old 11-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #2190
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

L, please.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #2191
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

RATS L

"---/, la-s/!" (.....) "----/ -a--/! -/ -a--/ a/ ---/ --r/ ---/, a--/ ----/ -a--s/ ---l-/ t--s/ -a---t/ lasts/."
Old 11-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #2192
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

A good offer indeed!

It's Farmer Giles speaking:
Quote:
'Hey, lads!' said he. 'Come back! I have a job for you, and good wages while this packet lasts.'
(Though the last word was complete with the choice of 'L', that wasn't the telling clue - it was the word "lads"! That isn't used too often in Tolkien's works, and the "likely lads" occurred to me immediately.)
Old 11-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #2193
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up Correct!

Well done, Esty! with only so few letters
Old 11-21-2006, 12:48 PM   #2194
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Fortunately, I did manage to get the letters that gave me a clue! Now try this one:
Quote:
-- --- ---- --- ----- ----- -- -------- ---- -- ---- ----; --- --- ---- -- ---.
It seems applicable to this thread...
Old 11-22-2006, 02:31 AM   #2195
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

I'd like to start with the O's
Old 11-22-2006, 03:28 AM   #2196
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

O yes

-o o-- --o- --- O---- ----- -- ----o--- ---- -o -o-- ----; --- --- ---- -o ---.

Good choice!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:31 AM   #2197
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

N please
Old 11-22-2006, 03:36 AM   #2198
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

No on- --o- --- O---- --n-- -- ----o--- ---- -o -o-- ----; -n- --- ---- -o no-.

(+ one O I missed the first time - sorry!)
Old 11-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #2199
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

R please
Old 11-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #2200
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

N O R

No on- -ro- --- O---r --n-- -- ----o--- ---r -o -o-- --r-; -n- --- ---r -o no-.