The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Hurt & Heal V: Ainur (non-Valar)

RULES

From 20 to 7 - each player has 3 votes: 2 hurts and 1 heal. Double hurts are allowed.

From 6 to 4 - each player has 3 votes: 2 hurts and 1 heal. Double hurts ar not allowed: a player has to hurt 2 different characters and heal one, or he may use only 1 hurt and 1 heal.

When but 3 characters are left each player has either a hurt or a heal.

Wait for at least four posters to vote prior to you voting again.

Master Mormegil asked that I go ahead and start the thread, so here it is. Let's start the nominations.

I submit-
  • Melian
  • Eonwe
  • Tilion
  • Gothmog
Old 04-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
How about Ungoliant (if she's a maia), Durin's Bane, and Osse ?

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 04-26-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Girl power

Arien and Uinen
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Second Tilion and Arien (Luminos!)
nominate Alatar and Aiwendil (Downer Istari power!)
Old 04-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Second Melian, Durin's bane, Ossë, Alatar and Aiwendil,
nominate Pallando (and Tom and Goldberry if they count ).
Old 04-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Second Pallando and Uinen...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

And second Eonwe. How can you not have the
Herald of Manwe in such a contest?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Annatar anyone?
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

I submit Curunir, and I second Uinen and Sauron.

Approved-
  • Aiwendil
  • Alatar
  • Arien
  • Durin's Bane
  • Eonwe
  • Melian
  • Osse
  • Pallando
  • Sauron
  • Tilion
  • Uinen

Submitted, but not seconded yet-
  • Curunir
  • Gothmog
  • Ungolient

EDIT: updated, oops

Last edited by the phantom; 04-27-2009 at 11:17 AM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Phantom, you missed Legate's post where he seconded Pallando (and Uinen).
Old 04-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ooh Curunír seconded.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Ooh Curunír seconded.
I was thinking whether to second him or not, because once he's there, a) he's going to be ridiculously much supported (by me at least), b) if people hurt him, I am going to be sad

But whatever
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

If we have the hyper-favourites Saruman and Sauron, I think we should have Gandalf too, just to be fair.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
If we have the hyper-favourites Saruman and Sauron, I think we should have Gandalf too, just to be fair.
That's what I thought too: especially Sauron and Gandalf are just everywhere and everybody is voting them. Shouldn't we then just keep them out of that? Just so to prevent the all too obvious guys from winning again, which certainly would be quite boring.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Don't worry Legate - we have Nog.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #16
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm sorry people, I'm not convinced AT all that Ungoliant is of the Maiar. I also think we should keep Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron out of this.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I actually agree with Lalaith here. Those three have been in enough competitions before...
Old 04-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

If either Gandalf or Sauron had actually won a contest, I would say yes, keep them out.

But seeing as we're eventually going to have a Tournament of Champions (the people on the list will be previous winners) it seems a shame not to include characters and deny them the chance to win.

Gandalf and Sauron won't be able to be in the Elf, Man, Dwarf, Evil Minion, Female, weapons/armor, or Valar contest, so I don't think it'd be fair to keep them out of this contest that they actually qualify for.

And Ungolient is fine because this isn't a Maia contest. It's open to all the Ainur who were not among the Valar.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #19
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, phanston, I guess Lalaith's point might as well have been that Ungoliant is not Ainu at all. But I am fine with considering her as an Ainu, or even as a Maia.

But Gandalf and Sauron are too much, in my opinion. Curumo is still yet okay, he is a bit on the edge, but I think there might be some considerably strong clique against him. But these two guys... no way. Haven't they been in the first one, or something like that?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

That's the thing. I don't think she's Ainu, she's something Other. The darkness and chaos and all that.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #21
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

See? I said that

Anyway, one thing to add to this Gandalf and Sauron - they could be in the contest "the biggest heroes" or something. Or "the most typical heroes". Or "the biggest bosses". Along with Morgoth and a some others (we might classify. Fëanor or Galadriel come to my mind).
Old 04-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #22
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dűm

I think "the biggest bosses" is a good idea for the future game - so we can indeed leave Gandy, Sau and Saruman out of this one.

Then such nice Maiar as Eonwe or Uinen would get a fair chance.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #23
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Since we'll probably have a "monsters" and/or "other" H & H game in the future, it might make sense to leave Ungolient off this one. Though she could easily be explained as an Ainu in the Silmarillion and in other writings, in some earlier stuff she was something else and even later she is not defined specifically.

So, yeah, we can leave her off if you don't want to see her now.

As far as purposefully excluding "popular" characters, thus far we certainly haven't been doing that to extreme measures. In the previous rounds we've included Turin, Hurin, The Witch King, Sauron, Saruman, Luthien, Ulmo, Fingon, Turgon, Finrod, Aragorn, Fingolfin, Eowyn, Gimli, Frodo, Sam, Feanor, and Glorfindel... and guess what? None of them won.

Now, I seem to recall Melkor being spoken against in one of the previous rounds because of his status, but then surely we'll allow him to compete when it's his time, right? (The Valar round most likely.)

Then what about a Maia this round? This is their time, isn't it? They won't be in the next eight or so games for sure. So do we deny popular characters the chance to win their division just because we think they're too likely to win, despite the fact that half of us would no doubt try and keep them from winning anyway?

Meh, you people decide. If we can fill the list up to 20 without them and you want to see them left off, I'm cool with it.

Approved-
  • Aiwendil
  • Alatar
  • Arien
  • Durin's Bane
  • Eonwe
  • Melian
  • Osse
  • Pallando
  • Tilion
  • Uinen

Being discussed-
  • Curunir
  • Gothmog
  • Olorin
  • Sauron
  • Ungolient
Old 04-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #24
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Then what about a Maia this round? This is their time, isn't it? They won't be in the next eight or so games for sure. So do we deny popular characters the chance to win their division just because we think they're too likely to win, despite the fact that half of us would no doubt try and keep them from winning anyway?
Well, but that is actually also half of the point. That's why I think those guys should have their own cathegory. Because basically, against the "normal" characters, in fact everybody would wish them to win - so that's one reason why not allow them - and at the same time, some people would not wish them to win just based on principle: and that basically puts them in a completely different game, so to say. So I am against introducing them here.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #25
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I second Gothmog. He's surely a maia, and even though he's not particularily interesting, we may very well have him.

Hmm... wasn't there some speculation about Thorondor actually being a maia too? he'd be a nice addition in that case. And what about Ilmarë, Varda's handmaid?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #26
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Hmm... wasn't there some speculation about Thorondor actually being a maia too? he'd be a nice addition in that case. And what about Ilmarë, Varda's handmaid?
Ha, interesting - Ilmarë, one would completely forget about her... and Thorondor could be, though perhaps we should save him for some "animal" competition or something, if there will be one?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #27
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I quite like the look of this list...

I second Gothmog.

Also, I don't think we should include Ungoliant, because I don't think that she's an Ainu. And if we include her, then we'll have to include Tom Bombadil and possibly Goldberry (I, for one, would definately push for them), and that would just make things more complicated.

I think we should just go with "fully-certified" Maiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Ha, interesting - Ilmarë, one would completely forget about her... and Thorondor could be, though perhaps we should save him for some "animal" competition or something, if there will be one?
We could do that. We could make one called "sentient animals" or such...

Last edited by Eönwë; 04-28-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #28
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If Thorondor is considered a maia then I'll
second him. But his case (and the great eagles in
general) is one of the most ambiguous (which is
saying something for Tollers ) of classifications
in Ea. I lean slightly toward his being a maia, if
Melian could have a child, why not Thorondor? But...
Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #29
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
If Thorondor is considered a maia then I'll
second him. But his case (and the great eagles in
general) is one of the most ambiguous (which is
saying something for Tollers ) of classifications
in Ea. I lean slightly toward his being a maia, if
Melian could have a child, why not Thorondor? But...
Hmm. But I am not really sure. I guess it would be better to keep them out. Thorondor is probably rather "a spirit from elsewhere", but from where and what, nobody knows. One would say, it is something like a Maia, if not really a Maia, but still - it's a bit like with the Ents - and they certainly were not Ainur, yet were something else than most of the animals or Elves, Men, Dwarves etc. I guess we should leave Thorondor out: otherwise we are partially letting it get close to inviting Dragons into the bunch. So let us just leave them for another time.

Same goes for Ungoliant&co. - I'd side with Eönwë here.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #30
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

We still need a few more.
  • Aiwendil
  • Alatar
  • Arien
  • Durin's Bane
  • Eonwe
  • Gothmog
  • Ilmare
  • Melian
  • Osse
  • Pallando
  • Tilion
  • Uinen
Old 04-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #31
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Salmar

Quote:
Salmar made the Ulumúri for his lord Ulmo, the great conches which produce the music of the sea.
And how about the (somewhat less than) dynamic duo
The Blue Wizards ?

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 04-29-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #32
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Salmar's seconded.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #33
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
And how about the (somewhat less than) dynamic duo
The Blue Wizards ?
They are there already :Alatar and Pallando

Maybe we should take them as one item, though?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #34
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It may be that we just need to throw any and all that fit in this narrow category
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #35
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Salmar's seconded.
Ah, yes! Once again somebody almost forgotten, yet so important... great, I like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
They are there already :Alatar and Pallando

Maybe we should take them as one item, though?
Certainly not! That's nonsense. I want to have them there separately!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #36
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Ah, yes!
Certainly not! That's nonsense. I want to have them there separately!
Oh yea! Charming Pallando is so much nicer, wiser and braver than this old geezer Alatar
Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #37
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
Oh yea! Charming Pallando is so much nicer, wiser and braver than this old geezer Alatar
But Alatar is definitely a hunter, which is cool, especially when he is an old geezer
Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #38
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis (bolding mine)
I always thought it was the other way around

edit: I somehow managed to get an x-post there.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #39
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dűm

How about stop chattering and start voting?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #40
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
How about stop chattering and start voting?
It would be great to start voting, but we can't do that until we have a full list. We only have 13 at this point. How are we going to fill the list, people?
  • Aiwendil
  • Alatar
  • Arien
  • Durin's Bane
  • Eonwe
  • Gothmog
  • Ilmare
  • Melian
  • Osse
  • Pallando
  • Salmar
  • Tilion