The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2001, 09:02 AM   #1
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Shield HELP ME>>>>horses

Hi, Im writing a book at the moment but i dont have a clue how fast and far horses can travel per day.

Such as.....

How fast/far when you flog them to death

How fast/far when you keep them happy.

ALSO...how fast to ships go (in miles)

Thanks for any help
Old 11-26-2001, 03:40 AM   #2
Nightwalker

Tolkien

You can find a lot of Information about these things in Karen Fonstads Historical Atlas to ME.

Nightwalker (Master of Doom by Doom mastered
Old 12-13-2001, 03:46 AM   #3
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hi there, the real findorfin!

Hope I can help. I’ve always been interested in horses, so maybe I can give you some quick info. The horses of Middle Earth are quite amazing.

Here are some tidbits.

Speed:
In 1973 the thoroughbred racehorse Secretariat ran (extended gallop) the Kentucky Derby 1¼ miles in 1:59 2/5. He ran the Belmont Stakes 1½ miles in 2:24 flat (and won by 31 lengths – it was amazing). Those times are still the race records. His average speed for each race was 37.5 mph. Turcotte never even touched him with the crop. (He was a super horse – at autopsy they found that his heart was 2.5 times larger than that of the average horse.)

Quarter horses (yer cowpoke’s best friend) are built for short bursts of speed. They can do a ¼ mile in ~20 seconds. That’s ~45 mph. They cannot sustain anything near this speed over a distance.

As for the minimum/maximum speeds of other gaits: walking, trotting, cantering and a regular gallop, I’m not sure.

Endurance:
Have you ever seen the John Wayne movie “True Grit”? There is an incredible scene of a quarter horse being ridden to death. Rent the video and check out the mountainous terrain, the rider’s treatment of the horse, the speed and the distance covered.

I found the American Endurance Racing Conference web site by searching for “endurance riding” and “endurance racing” and “horse endurance”. One-day competitions range in length from 50 – 100 miles. Multi-day events average about 50 miles per day. Veterinarians at checkpoints on the route monitor the horses and there are mandatory rest breaks for the horses. AERC can probably give you lots of information on food, water, rest requirements, heart rates, etc.

[ November 28, 2002: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]