Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narya Search for Rhûn Discussion Thread

Himaran invites you to look at his new game:

Basic Storyline:

By the beginning of the 4th Age, the sea of Rhûn is but a myth to the dwarves still living at Erebor; a mysterious body of water in a phantom land of the far east. But the legends of old now spark the interest of the new generation, and a small band of explorers set out to find the ancient kingdom; and any riches its sea may hold. Upon arrival, however, the expedition turns into a disaster.

The dwarves quickly discover that the place they seek is not a sparkling, unsullied kingdom filled will pearls, mithril, and other great treasures. What they find is a nightmare land, spotted with dense jungles, swamps and all a manner of strange beasts. But the most startling a deadly discovery that they make is that of a nocturnal, Easterling race; nearly invisible in Rhûn’s rugged terrain and hostile to outsiders. The dwarves, lost, starving and attacked by the hour, will face a struggle few among the party ever believed they would be forced to endure; and through camaraderie, bravery and sacrifice, will overcome it.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-20-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The purpose of the story is to .... Find Rhûn, locate its great sea, explore the area, and return safely to Erebor.

This means we will know the story is over when .... The remaining dwarves arrive at Erebor.

Starting Location: Erebor, the Lonely Mountain

Likely destination: Rhûn, (Eventually Erebor).
Old 03-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Timeframes:

i) This game takes place 40 years into the 4th Age.

ii) The story itself or plot covers 5 months.

iii) This game requires a time commitment of 3 months (12 weeks) from me, the game owner and from the major players.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

CHARACTERS NEEDED

DWARVES

Dwalin (younger brother of Bali, Himaran’s character) - Himaran will PM the player who chooses to play this part about the character’s description; he will also give ideas for a First Post for this character.

8 male Dwarves - all from Erebor

RHÛN CHARACTERS

3 Inhabitants of Rhûn – Himaran will PM the players who choose to play these parts with info about the characters; he will also give ideas for First Posts.
  • 2 males
  • 1 female

ADDITIONAL TRAVELERS

(These characters are required to post a Character Description, but do not need a First Post – they will meet Bali and his group along the way.

1 Dwarf – can be from anywhere

1 male Ranger

1 male Elven Scout from Eryn Lasgalen

Character types which would not belong .... Anything else
Old 03-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

DEDICATED CHARACTERS

1.) Arvedui III's character – to be kept secret for now

2.) Carlas' character

Name: Durin son of Dain

Race: Dwarf

Description: Durin has a long, brown beard that reaches down to his waist to which he has become very proud of, and normally boasts about to many of the younger dwarves. He wears little armor, only enough to protect him, preferring not to weigh himself down with needless ornaments and he has dark brown eyes that have always had a glint of youth and mischievous in them.

Personality: Durin has grown over the years to become a strong and proud dwarf, but never misses the chance to have fun and just enjoy life. He is very close to his parents, and he enjoys being able to take his time and appreciate the finer things in life such as drinking and singing, but would never miss the opportunity to go travel again. Even though he can be very good-natured, Durin can still be very hot-tempered and does not often give in easily making him quite stubborn at times.

Weapons/Skills: Durin usually carries a simple axe that he has had and fought with for years and was given to him by a friend long ago in Erebor. He also has many throwing axes which he has only learned to use over the past few years, but his most prized is a well-made axe of ancient design, its hilt cleverly covered with dwarvish runes, which his father gave him right before the large battle at Erebor.

Character Strengths/Weaknesses: Durin is a strong warrior and prides himself on his skill with an axe. He is very loyal and would fight to the death for his friends and family, the only thing that weakens him is his anger. He can be very tempered and stubborn, which can be fatal in battle.

History: Durin was born and raised in Erebor by his two loving, but sometimes strict parents. He has traveled throughout Eriador with his father, and together they joined a party of warriors who traveled from The Shire to Erebor to fight in a great battle against the attacking orcs . Since then he has remained in Erebor with his family and friends.

~*~

Carlas’ post

The Sun was high in the air as Durin walked with his mother down the hot streets of Erebor. The sky was cloudless and the rich blue seemed even brighter than usual. Durin looked around at the buildings and roads around him, thinking about the last few years he had spent in Erebor. He loved it here, it was his home, but he needed to leave and explore the world outside again, like he had done years ago, with his father. Now though, he would not be with his father Dain since he had left to visit friends in Mirkwood a few months back, Durin was going to finally be responsible and be able to watch over himself instead. But, as much as he had always wanted just that, he couldn’t help but wishing that his father could come along to find Rhun, the Land of Riches with him. It had been a myth for years, and now he and a group of dwarves were going to find Rhun, and the legendary body of water with the shining lights, but his father would not be there.

Glis, his mother, looked over at him thoughtfully and smiled her warm smile that she kept especially for him. “Do not trouble about your father.” She said as though reading his mind. “He is getting on in years, as am I, and we know that you are ready to take care of yourself.” Durin nodded and stared at the ground in front of him. Glis stopped suddenly and took her son’s bearded face in her hands. “Your father and I are very proud of you. You are a strong and skilled dwarf, and you are going to go find Rhun! Think of how pleased your father will be when he hears of where you are going, this journey is like no other you or anyone else will ever take. Be proud son.”

Durin looked up into his mother’s eyes and smiled from under his long beard. “But father will be even more proud when I bring him back a great sack of treasure!” Glis laughed and nodded. “Of course, but I better get a sack five times larger than his!”

~*~*~*~*~

It was nearly noon by the time Durin and his mother finally reached the Great Hall. They had walked around after their talk, and chatted about everything and anything, as Durin looked about the beautiful city one last time before leaving on his journey. He was sad to be leaving, but he was now becoming excited. Who knew what kind of things they would find in Rhun, and from what he had heard, it sounded like a beauteous land.

He turned to face his aging mother who smiled kindly down at him. They didn’t say anything, and didn’t need to say anything. Durin knew his mother was sad to see him go, they had become very attached over the years, but Glis knew how important it was for Durin to finally be able to leave on his own and learn to be responsible for himself. She walked up to her son and embraced him tightly, not wanting to let go. As they pulled apart, she kissed him gently on the forehead.

Durin and his mother smiled sadly at each other for a moment before he finally turned towards the Great Hall. Glis watched him walk away and silently whispered “Goodbye Durin, son of Dain, my son.”

3.) Eruantalon’s character

Name: Eruantalon, but friends call him Erulon

Appearance: He is a man that stands 5" 10' inches with dark hair and eyes. He is a fair skinned man. He weighs about 200 he is very strong and quick. He wears a black cloak. He has gray pants and brown boots. His shirt is a darker gray than his pants. He wears leather boots. He carries a large satchel with many items like books, maps, medication, leather skins for drink, food, weapons, tobacco, extra cloths. Imagine a Boromir type. But more happy and friendly.

Personality: A kind hearted person who loves nature and middle earth deeply. He is friends with all the peoples of middle earth. Erulon is quick to happiness and slow to anger. But when he does anger he often can't control it. So he does have faults, though he always wishes to protects what he loves. He is very brave but knows sorrow’s depths. That is what fuels his bravery. He is clever and a good scholar; but that doesn't mean he makes no mistakes or wrong guesses.

Weapons and items: Well I mentioned many above. But there are still greater items he has. His inner strength is his greatest weapon.

He has a sword given to him by Galadriel. It was forged by the Noldar before they left the Valar. It is amazingly sharp and strong. It glows when evil is near. Not orcs particularly but anything that is an instrument of Morgoth. It is two thirds his own height. Then there are his bow and arrows. They are gondorian in make, but large and powerful. He also carries a great dwarven battle axe, forged in Moria long ago.

History: A great warrior and minstrel Erulon travels only with friends. He often stays in Lothlorien or in Rivendell. He stops often to Gondor to see his brethren Rangers. He has fought many battles along side all the races of Middle earth. He lost his one true love early in his life, soon learning that he must go on. His duty to protect and help the people of middle earth has given him weapons and gifts. Knowing that he is meant to follow wherever the path of need is, he goes along befriending all that meet him.

~*~

Eruantalon's post

The hills gave way to Erebor under the lonely mountain. Seeing this sight again made Erulon's breath leave him. The mountain's beauty only grew with each day. Now he looked on it with older eyes - yet its roots grew stronger and its people greater. Life was good here in the dwarven kingdom. And his old friend would be meeting him soon for new adventures. As always, with the race of Aule, it was again about finding treasures. Yet this was no dark task. The promise of a good journey with old friends was high.

Now, to make sure his kind friend didn’t get in any harms way while on this journey. The promise of riches so great can often make one stray. But he knew the hearts of these people that they where not as subtle as many in middle earth. A kind and good race lived here under the mountain. They knew the value of what hard work can give one. And yet the grievances that can some times follow them.

Coming to the great gate he hailed the guards. They waved back with smiles and greeted him warmly, remembering the man from a great battle several years earlier. "Erulon you have come! Going off on the journey from what we hear. Make your way in now. You Your friend is with his father in the Great Hall.”

Making his way down into the city he caught many familiar faces. One who was vary familiar, and he crept up behind the dwarf while his back was turned. The man though tall could walk very quietly.

"Durin! You’re here! I see you're not off on this journey yet.”

“Ahh, good friend, what are you doing here? Bali just sent word out a few days ago! Good to see you here, though. We are making our way off tomorrow. Ready yourself, Erulon and prepare for a grand journey!”

“Indeed, my old friend! We’ll have enough time to talk. I see you have many things to take care of for now. We’ll be drinking good ale by a fire side soon!”

Few of the errands made for riches ended well. On the last journey there were many unforeseen dangers that almost killed him and the whole company. Hopefully, this journey with Bali would turn out better. “Always stay on guard”, he muttered to himself. Life in Erebor was fair, but the wilds of a far off land where ominous to say the least.

Bali was shocked that Erulon had arrived so early. They sat long into the night around the fire, discussing the journey that would occur in the morning. The dwarf confided of his worries with the man, explaining that they were leaving more on impulse than knowledge.

"Well, what does it matter, anyway?" replied the man. "We are exploring a new land, not going on a mining expedition. Any information we bring back will be valuable."

Later, Erulon made his way up to his room, aided by Kalin. He found a splendid array of food ready for him. The night was coming on fast and he would need to rest. Laying his arms up to the side of the bed he got comfortable in his room.

Just then a knock at the door came. Kalin’s face was light by a candle. “One more thing Erulon. The master has bid you to take a horse. He’s found one that you could use and thinks it best. You cannot ride on our animals since you’re too large. Would you come pick one early tomorrow?”

“Tell the Lord I appreciate his kindness and thank him. I will make my way down early in the morning and be there ready and saddled.” Nodding his head Kalin shut the door for the night then opened back up swiftly. “Ahh yes, did you need anything else my friend?”

“Just good nights sleep and the assurance of a ready breakfast tomorrow. Bread will be fine with milk if you can?”

“Very good! And good night.”
Old 03-20-2004, 12:31 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Himaran’s character:

Name: Bali

Description: About a foot smaller than a grown man. Bali has a long brown beard and a scar over one eye. He wears a light mail coat over a brown tunic and underneath a heavy brown cloak. He has a black strap which goes around his back (in which he keeps his axe). Unless attired for a large battle, Bali wears no helmet.

Weapons: A large, single-edged fighting axe, with a curved blade in the style of the Erebor Dwarves. Also, he carries a number of throwing axes (miniatures of his war axe), and surprisingly owns and uses a long elvish dagger, given to him by a friend.

Personality: Extremely friendly for a dwarf, Bali loves company, singing, beer, and even dancing. He is also an excellent story-teller, and a good listener. He is a fierce warrior in combat, fighting with a deadly combination of his various weapons. He is an experienced tracker, hunter, and pathfinder. When angry, Bali is quick to be irrational, and is not easily calmed.

Character Strengths/Weaknesses: Bali is an excellent companion, and will fight to the death to protect his friends or family members. His only true weakness is his loss of concentration in battle, which can lead to the injury of his own companions.

History: Bali was born and raised in Erebor, under the stern discretion of his father. A traveler by nature, the dwarf has venture west over the misty mountains twice in his lifetime. He is well acquainted with the inhabitants of Greenwood, Rohan, and the Shire, but has never traveled to Gondor. During perhaps his greatest adventure ever, the dwarf lead a party of warriors east from the Shire to Erebor, and fought a great battle their with a neighboring Uruk Hai army (See The Road to Erebor in Elvenhome).

~*~

Himaran’s post: – first for the game

The sea was like nothing I have seen before, since my journey to the bay of Belfalas in 1294. It was an incredibly wide expanse of water, and the mountains to the north gave it a majestic appearance. The waves tumbled against the shore, and from whence they came I had little knowledge. But the most amazing aspect of Rhûn’s sea is the great body of sparkling lights which shine near its bottom - not pearls, but perhaps a new rock form. If it were so, it could be worth more than mithril, as it could only be found in one remote area throughout middle-earth.

Of Rhûn’s its inhabitants, I have seen only tracks, which I have painstakingly recorded. I for one met neither man nor beast on my travels, but I have traversed only a small portion of this strange land. It is hard country to say the least, and it took all of my skill and wit to navigate it.

“So you and your brother intend to go through with it?”

Bali the dwarf looked up from the his book, The Diary of Baren Longhelm, finding the gaze of his father set upon him. “Aye, that we do.”

“And how many will to be taking with you?”

The dwarf set the book down and stood, stretching his arms and neck. He took several prolonged gulps from a glass on the table near him before answering. “About eight; all good travelers and fighters. We couldn’t justify taking a larger group; as we are not going on a mining expedition.”

The elderly dwarf walked over to a window in the Ereborian chamber, which faced the southwest. “Rhûn. The hidden land, filled with riches far greater than those which have been mined from the Iron Hills; as the legends say. You and Dwalin must be careful, Bali. We have heard naught of anyone living there; or if they are friendly.”

Bali looked down at the book he had been studying. Baren Longhelm had been a great traveler, and had journeyed to ever corner of Middle Earth. Rhûn had been his last venture, and when he returned to civilization he had died shortly thereafter. The cause of his death was unknown.

“We will be careful, father. And remember, Dwalin is leading the party, not I. He asked me to go with him, and I could not refuse. We have our maps, and can travel both there and back safely enough. And of course, we have several excellent dwarves traveling with us, and if Baren did not meet any inhabitants, neither will we.”

~*~

The next morning was hot and hazy, typical of a summer in Erebor. Bali rose and dressed, hurrying downstairs for the meal. He spoke with other members of the group, who were saying goodbye to friends and family in the hall. They all agreed to leave by noon.

After the meal, Bali returned to his room and chose his weapons. Lifting the heavy Ereborian axe off its hanging place on the wall, Bali patted the sharp blade fondly and set it with the rest of his bags. Snatching several throwing hatchets from the closet, he attached them to his leather belt. Then, opening a small chest, he removed his prize weapon; a long, beautiful elvish knife encased in a magnificent golden sheath. It had been given to him by an elf from Greenwood many years before, and the dwarf threw it perfectly. Strapping it on his belt, he gathered his things and carried them down to the hall.

Dwalin was already there, greasing the exit hole on his crossbow. Bali eyed it nervously, unconsciously feeling the scar across his eye. It had been received by one of his brother’s arrows, which had been released from the weapon accidentally.

The dwarf looked up from his task, setting the bow aside. “Good, I am glad that you are ready. As soon as the others arrive, we can discuss our route and leave.”

“Do you much knowledge of the region?” Bali blurted out. The question had been bothering him since early that morning. “It is not wise to walk blindly into a new land.”

Dwalin looked down at a map spread out on the table; now covered with lines and scribbled writing. “The map shows clearly where the region lies, and even gives us details of its properties. See here? Mountains, and just south of there a forest. And here is the great sea. But remember, we may be the first group of adventurers to enter Rhûn. Do not think it odd that there are no detailed maps of this strange sea and its surroundings. Just imagine it, Bali; whether or not the mountains carry anything beyond iron in their roots, there is a sea. A sparkling ocean filled with pearls, worth greater than mithril itself!”

“That is one dwarf’s wild estimation, Dwalin; there may be little truth to these… legends.”

The gleam did not leave the young dwarf’s eye as he continued. “They are true, Bali - I assure you.”

Bali shrugged, sitting down at the table. It would be useless to try to convince Dwalin that the great riches thought to be at Rhûn could be nothing more than a myth. But the dwarf knew that his brother was set on finding treasure in a new land; and after all, maybe there was some truth to the legends. Either way, Bali was going, and so he pushed the worry to the back of his mind and waited for the others to arrive.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:31 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Please use this form for creating your character to post on the discussion thread.

It is a requirement that all potential game players will either have posted in one of the RPG Inns (preferably in The Green Dragon) or have played in an RPG on the Barrow Downs.

Those who have not played before in a Barrow Downs' RPG will be given preference. Final preference, though, will be at the discretion of the Game Owner.

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - Which one?

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?

List them, please:

Please note you may play in only 2 (TWO) Shire games at one time. (The Green Dragon Inn DOES NOT count as a game for this.)

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES/NO – Which one?

For your character please include:

NAME:

RACE:

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.):

APPEARANCE:

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only):

HISTORY:

(With the exception of the Traveler Characters who will come in later in the game:)

A FIRST POST FOR YOUR CHARACTER MUST ACCOMPANY THIS FORM.

It is a requirement for this game. Character Descriptions without a First Post attached will be sent back to the writer. They may be submitted again, once there is a First Post to go with them.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-20-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:32 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Again:

CHARACTERS NEEDED

DWARVES

Dwalin (younger brother of Bali, Himaran’s character) - Himaran will PM the player who chooses to play this part about the character’s description; he will also give ideas for a First Post for this character.

8 male Dwarves - all from Erebor

RHÛN CHARACTERS

3 Inhabitants of Rhûn – Himaran will PM the players who choose to play these parts with info about the characters; he will also give ideas for First Posts.
  • 2 males
  • 1 female

ADDITIONAL TRAVELERS

(These characters are required to post a Character Description NOW, but do not need a First Post – they will meet Bali and his group along the way.

1 Dwarf – can be from anywhere

1 male Ranger

1 male Elven Scout from Eryn Lasgalen

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-22-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:32 PM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

First Posts For the 8 Dwarven Characters from Erebor:

Gathering belongings, saying goodbye to friends and family and heading to the Great Hall should be the center of these posts. This is the only guideline - be creative. Your character is leaving to discover a new land that has never before been fully explored - apprehension, excitement and nervousness could be several very legitimate feelings for him to have.

Those players wanting to be one of the Rhûn characters - please put your gender preference on the Discussion Thread.

Himaran will PM you with instructions about how he sees these characters and what sort of first posts he wants.

For the players wanting to play Dwalin (younger brother of Bali, Himaran’s character) - please put your request on the Discussion Thread.

Himaran will PM you with instructions on how he sees this character and what sort of first post he wants from you.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-22-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:13 AM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya Attention Prospective Players:

This Discussion Thread for Himaran's new RPG, Search for Rhûn, is now open for players to take a look at.

Please read the proposal carefully.

Follow the instructions for the characters that Himaran requires and submit your character proposal directly to this Discussion Thread - don't send them to me.

Should be a fun game!

~*~ Pio
Old 03-22-2004, 02:41 AM   #11
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
I want to play a male Rhun character. Should I post my character descriptions first or ask the game owner to pm me with details?

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 03-29-2004 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:00 AM   #12
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Id like to play the part of the dwarf who joins the expedition later.
So, like Eorl asked, do I wait for Himaran to PM me before submitting a character profile?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:19 AM   #13
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
I would also like to play a Rhun character, male preferably. I have the same question that Eorl of Rohan asked, so I will await some kind of answer.
__________________________________________________ _______________

EDIT

KRANSHA -

Sorry, but we are allowing players to be in only 2 Shire games at a time - you will need to withdraw your request for this game.

~*~ Piosenniel, Game Moderator

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-22-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:21 AM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Eorl of Rohan

Himaran will be checking in tomorrow most likely and will contact you about what he wants. I'll send him a PM also to alert him to your request.

Do not post a character description and first post until he does contact you - he has something very specific in mind.

Kransha

Sorry, but we are allowing players to be in only 2 Shire games at a time - you will need to withdraw your request for this game.

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-22-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:43 AM   #15
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
I would like to play the part of the lone male Ranger who joins the expedition later, and I don't know where to post anything, but here goes:

I have not played in any games in the Shire.

I am not currently involved in any games.

I have posted in both the Green Dragon and White Horse.

--------------------------------------------------------

My Character:

Name: Arasiniel (Friends call him Aras)

Race: Men(Numenorean Ranger)

Weapons: Sword, about 5 feet long at the hilt, scabbard at waist on the left. Dirk, about 1 1/2 feet long, sheathed on the right. Hunting bow, with about 30 arrows in quiver slung over right shoulder. Bare hands.

Appearance: About 6' 2", with brown eyes and brown/black hair, no extra clothes or any amenities, sleeps on the ground, desperately needs a bath and shampoo. Is right-handed

Personality: Quiet, speaks only when needed. Doesn't presume to take authority, unless given. Is wise even beyond the years of his prolonged life. Has always had an affinity for elves. Is a loner who is almost outcast from his own people, the outcasts. He is the ultimate loner. Was tortured at birth by the Easterlings, and has a maddening rage when he sees them, to the suppression of all other factors.

History: Has had battles beyond count with the fading remnants of the orcs. Knows neither mother nor father. Has very few friends.

EDIT:

bilbo_baggins

You posted in the correct place.

Himaran, the game's owner, will probably be on tomorrow to take a look at all the requests.

Check back to this Discussion thread then.

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator & Moderator for this game

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-22-2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:13 PM   #16
Elentarimir
Wight

Elentarimir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentarimir
Tolkien

I would request the part of the male Elven scout from Eryn Lasgalen.

1. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN AN RPG? No.
2. HOW MANY RPGS ARE YOU CURRENTLY INVOLVED IN? None.
3. HAVE YOU POSTED IN THE GREEN DRAGON? Yes, I have.

-------------

Name: Raendîn

Race: Elf

Weapons: An Elvish longbow and quiver carrying about 35 arrows. He also carries a broadsword etched with runes. (Left-handed)

Appearance: Tall with long blonde hair and grey eyes, Raendîn appears a typical Mirkwood Elf. However, he is slightly more muscular than the average Firstborn, due to his travels as a scout. Raendîn dresses normally in various shades of green, with light boots.

Personality/Strengths/Weaknesses: Raendîn is courageous and rarely backs down from anything. Normally, he is quite loud and outspoken; though 951, the wisdom of the Elves hasn't entirely set in yet, and he still makes rash decisions that can easily be turned against him. He enjoys a good time with his friends, and can come up with a light-hearted, funny remark at any point in time. His greatest strength is his ability to remain cheerful in the face of grave peril. However, his greatest weakness is the fact that, once something has angered him greatly, his judgment clouds over, causing a serious rage that is easily used to his disadvantage.

History: Raendîn was born in Mirkwood, many years before the War of the Ring. His childhood was spent largely in the company of his sister, Nennár, whom he loved very dearly. Together they practiced archery; Raendîn learned swordsmanship on his own. Upon his coming of age, Raendîn became a scout for the Elven-king. Since then, he has journeyed far and done many things outside his homeland.

Last edited by Elentarimir; 03-22-2004 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #17
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
I would like to play one of the characters from Rhun, preferably female.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:19 PM   #18
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Thumbs up

To Those Interested in this Game:

Please read the list of wanted characters closely. I will reply to all requests, questions and applications tomorrow.

Will Witfoot: You do not need to wait to do a profile. You do not have to do a first post.

Eorl of Rohan: I will pm you with details. Don't do a profile or post until I contact you.

Bilbo_Baggins: I will pm you with details regarding your application.

Carlas, Eruantalon and Arvedui III:

Please post on the discussion thread to let me know that you are on board and following developments.

Thanks,
Himaran
Old 03-22-2004, 05:05 PM   #19
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
I'll be withdrawing my request for a character.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 03-22-2004, 05:28 PM   #20
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

I'm here, Himaran. I'll be watching...
Old 03-22-2004, 05:30 PM   #21
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril I'd like to join!

Well, this looks like fun, and I’m used to playing a dwarf so…mind if I join the RPG? I’ll be auditioning for one of the 8 dwarves!

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - No

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?

One

List them, please:

Last Hope for Moria

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES/NO – Yes Which one?– Green Dragon

NAME: Káin Bronzetooth

RACE: Dwarf

WEAPONS Káin carries a large ax with a silver blade inscribed with dwarfish runes in the center of the blade in the shape of a mountain. Also, Káin carries a thin layer of chain mail. Furthermore, Káin has a blunt dagger and a small ax for throwing purposes. Káin also carries an iron helmet and a small club tied around his waist.

APPEARANCE: At 4’, 7” Káin has a plump childish face containing blue eyes. His brown beard that sinks below his chest and his clean, brown hair is tied in a ponytail that goes down to the end of his spine. He is very well clothed and carries a scar across his right arm.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Káin is very proficient at forging and crafting. He is a real comedian and has the ability to make anybody laugh. Tenacious, curious, and eccentric, Káin lives life to the fullest and can’t stand not knowing what’s happening or what someone’s saying. Cooking, all though he stinks at it, is a fond art of Káin, as he likes creating new things. Káin has a weakness in the fact that he is a horrid fighter, and couldn’t save his life for all the mithril in Middle Earth. He knows very little of the peoples of the world and is therefore, clueless to the opinions of others.

HISTORY: Born in the kingdom of Erebor, Káin grew up in his father’s smithy for a time, until when he was 19, when his mother died while wondering off towards Mirkwood. After his mother died, he became an apprentice to another dwarf blacksmith, as his father was wasting away in grief. Káin’s father died 2 months later. Having nowhere do go, Káin studied for 21 years under his master, learning every trick of the trade. When he was 40, his master died and Káin opened up his own shop, complete with forge and his own apprentice to mold. Now, Káin’s renowned skills are needed in what could be the biggest find since Balin in Moria. Rhún.

The Perky Ent's post

Some dwarves never hear it the first time. “Yes. Yes. Yes, don’t worry. I’ll have your ax repaired by the end of the month. Engraving of a dove? Yes. Ok.” As the stout dwarf left Káin’s shop, Káin started on the repair of the dwarf’s ax. In several hours, it looked good as new. “Now there is a quality ax! Time to get you off to your master!” said Káin as he trotted off to find the ax’s owner. “Ah! Now that is an ax! Here’s your gold!” said the owner of the ax. Káin always enjoyed delivering the weapons he crafted. The smiles and the compliments were the best in the world.

As Káin entered his forge, he noticed a small letter on his business table. “Now who could this be from?” Káin said, as there was no name except his own. The letter read:

Káin Bronzetooth,

Your service is required in a “quest” of glory! I am inviting dwarves and….possibly others to an expidition that, if all goes well, will make us filthy rich. There are recent tales of the land of Rhún, far off into the east. If all goes well, there should be a paradise awaiting us. Have you ever wanted to be a legend? Even wanted to be counted among the great? Well, this is your chance. If interested, please meet me in the Great Hall my mid-day. However, this isn’t a walk around the street. This is a serious quest. So, you’ll have to pack up belongings you want to bring, and food while your at it. Please remember, we don’t know how long it will be before we can restock, so back for the long haul. Please consider this opportunity!

“Weird” Káin said as he pondered the letter. “Rhún. Haven’t heard of that in years. Why now? Who wrote that letter anyway? What’s this all about?” As Káin reread the letter, he stopped. “Have you ever wanted to be a legend? Of course! Who wouldn’t! But I have to think fast! If I’m not quick, they might give up my part! I better get over there and find out what’s going on!” The blue sky gleamed in the heavens like a ocean of simarils. The conditions were perfect for a journey. “Well, I better get started! Borfin!” In a heartbeat, Borfin, Káin’s apprentice scurried out from behind the forge. He was about 30 and had dirt on his face. “Borfin! This is it! If you pass, you will be as skilled as I. If you’re successful, you are free to open your own forge. Here is your task. I’m going out on a quest with several dwarves to Rhún. You’ve heard of it, haven’t you? Anyways, I will be gone for a couple of months, and I want you to run the store! When I come back, if the place is well kept up, you are free to be your own master.” Borfin was stunned. Giving a smile, Borfin nooded. “Yes, then I’ll pack and see you in a couple of months. Um…please don’t ruin The Mithril Star Borfin! I’ve grown quite fond of my forge!” and with that, Káin started packing. He backed his favorite ax, along with an ax for throwing and a small blunt dagger. After packing food and other essentials, Káin started walking to the Great Hall. “Goodbye Mithril Star, take care of yourself. “ At last, Káin had made it to the Great Hall. He looked upon the assembled dwarves. “I’ll do it! When do we leave?”
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-23-2004 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:54 PM   #22
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? One in progress

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? One, Last Hope for Moria

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? Yes, The Green Dragon Inn

NAME: Iorhail

RACE: human

WEAPONS: One unadorned hand-and-a-half sword, a black bow, and a small hunting knife. His armor is simply composed of worn leather.

APPEARANCE: He is six feet tall, thin build, and has black hair and dark brown eyes.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Iorhail is a very quiet, cynical man. He prefers his own company, or the company of those who will be quiet themselves. Iorhail is good with the sword, and not so good with the bow. His number one goal is to stay alive, but he would die to avenge any broken honor.

HISTORY: Iorhail’s father was a ranger under Aragorn who settled in Gondor after the War. Although born into peace, Iorhail inherited a thirst for adventure that was somewhat sated with a post as a scout.

Saraphim's post

The crowded, bustling streets of Osgiliath itched at Iorhail where he could not scratch. He had been alone on the bare plains for six months, and the contrast of scenery was startling. He jumped at every noise and movement, causing the passers-by to stare.

It came to him that they were also staring at his clothing. Most likely, they thought he was a vagabond, not a servant of their King. The raiment of the Ranger had fallen in honor since the time of his father.

When he thought of his father, Iorhail remembered the promise he had made to him to return home for a while when he was relieved of his post. But Iorhail did not especially want to return, considering the fuss his mother and sisters made. Apparently, he was so filthy that they had him washed and redressed before he could protest. And then the endless conversations about who he should marry.

No, he had important business to attend to. When the scout had come to take his place, he had brought Iorhail a horse and a message: to report to the King Elessar immediately upon his return.

The horse had been attended to; it was now housed comfortably in the royal stables, and the audience with the King was much to short for Iorhail’s liking. He would have preferred to arrive at home late at night, to avoid the nitpicking of the female of his family. But the King was characteristically blunt:

“I have had several reports from patrols about strange happenings around the Rhun area. I trust no one to this task but you the greatest of my Rangers, to find out all you can about these happenings and report back to me.”

Iorhail was then cordially dismissed. He took the long way to his family’s home, but it was with inexpressible joy that he told them about his new mission. They reacted contrary to what Iorhail felt, but he had expected them to do so. The day ended with Iorhail looking out into the deep night with his father, who was proud of his son, but loath to have him leave again.

“It is the greatest honor, my son, to be called up by Aragorn as the greatest of Rangers, for he himself aught to hold that title.” His father took him by the shoulders and looked him deep in the eye. “You will succeed, Iorhail, and our family will become the greatest of all others under the reign of Telcontar, but more importantly, you will succeed in becoming who you were meant to be.”

His father’s words echoing in his mind, Iorhail retired to bed, anticipating his journey.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-23-2004 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:25 PM   #23
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Pipe

I'm here! But one question: Wasn't this game supposed to be in Rohan, or have I missed something...

Arvedui III- Oh, a secret character? They're always fun...
Old 03-22-2004, 07:26 PM   #24
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oh, thank God I got here when I did. Ok, I haven't posted in any RPG for a while because I was waiting for certain things to hurry up and get over with so I would have more time. But now I have plenty of time and I was wondering if I could play the other male Rhûn character.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:27 PM   #25
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Hmmm... *rubs bald spot on chin*

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES - Setting Sails for Valinor, Last Hope for Moria

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Last Hope for Moria

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES – The Green Dragon

NAME: Narvi Silverfist

RACE: Dwarf

WEAPONS: Skilled with a bow. Uses an axe for close combat.

APPEARANCE: The picture of a true Dwarven warrior. He is tall for a Dwarf, with well-trimmed black beard. His dark brown eyes add grimness to his stern countenance. He is strong and lithe of limb.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is grim to look upon, but Narvi is one to enjoy good company. But one must not cross him - his anger is explosive, and he will not stop until a foe is down.

HISTORY: Narvi son of Gimli was born in the Lonely Mountain. At a young age, he has shown skill for hitting a mark at any distance, earning him the attention of the king's elite company of archers. Once he was of proper age, he joined the said group, and showe his prowess during the Battle of Dale, when the company defended the rear of the remnant of Dain and Brand's shattered army's retreat to Erebor.

Nilpaurion Felagund's post

Narvi had received a letter. It told him of an expedition to Rhûn. Rhûn. A fitting name for a place little-known.

"Father," said he, "read this."

"Rhûn," Gimli said after setting down the missive. "I have heard of it in the writings of Baren Longhelm. A place full of riches, they say. This will be a journey any Dwarf will desire."

"Maybe," answered Narvi.

"I feel doubt in your words. Why is that?"

"This is a journey for miners and craftsmen, not one fit for a warrior."

"Ah, but the war is over. Peace now reign in all the lands. One must find new things to explore. Either you go, or you marry now."

"I am not ready for that." He sighed. "Very well. I shall go."

"If only I were a hundred years younger..." Gimli said.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 03-31-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:57 AM   #26
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry if it took me awhile. Here's the profile for the travelling dwarf:

Im currently involved in the 'Last Hope for Moria' RPG, and yes, I have posted at the Green Dragon.

Name: Gortek Mad-Eye

Description: Gortek is well muscled and short in stature, as are all dwarfs. His skin is taned and his beard and hair are a light brown from all his time spent outside. A crude eyepatch covers his left eye, a memento from one of his many deadly adventures.
He wears brown boots, black britches and navy blue tunic over a white shirt. His hands are encased in gloves made of fine, but worn, leather. A woolen, grey cloak is wrapped about his person, avid protection against harsh weather.

Personality: Mad as brush. Gortek is usually very good-humoured and friendly (if somewhat odd), but can fall into bouts of screaming rage or cynical depression. The most usuall cause for this is the lack of trust other people place on him. He is allway ready to exploit any opportunity promising riches.

Weapons: From Gortek's belt hangs his most trusted weapon, a short and sturdy sword wich can be used for a myriad of purposes. He also keeps a long dagger stuffed in his left boot, and three throwing knives of an odd design are kept in the belt crossing his torso over his left shoulder and under his left arm.

Character Strengths/Weaknesses: Years of wandering have left Gortek with the skill's necessary to survive in the wilds. His outdoor experience combined with the long memory customary of the dwarf race means that he has a good sense of direction, and has up to this day never gotten lost. He has also gotten used to the harship of the world, and is skilled in the use of his weapons.
All the years of wandering have taken their toll, though. Too many perilous situations combined with the baking sun's effect on the dwarfish mind, have left Gortek quite mad. Once in combat, forexample, it is near impossible to restrain him.

History: Born in the Iron Hills to a small and peacefull dwarf clan, young Gortek's childhood in the mountains was unbearably dull. When he came to be of age, he ran away from his home, embracing the exciting life of an explorer.

There, hope thats sufficient

Last edited by Will Witfoot; 05-27-2004 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:21 AM   #27
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Here is the list of those who are accepted and pending.

8 Male Dwarves
The Perky Ent - Good post, description, and character! Accepted.
Nilpaurion Felagund -

2 Male Ruhns
Eorl of Rohan - Check you pms
Eruwen - Check your pms

1 Female Ruhns
Arestevana - Check your pms

Ranger Traveler
bilbo_baggins - Can you add a little about the clothing he wears, and any defining characteristics about him? Thanks.

Dwarf Traveler
Will Witfoot - Outdoor skills, eh? We can use those in Ruhn.... Accepted.

Elven Traveler
Elentarimir - Accepted.

To Those Playing the three travellers.

You do not need a first post. Your first post in the game, however, should be about travelling in the area between Ruhn and Erebor. Perhaps you could meet each other on the way, in order to familerize yourselves with other characters - and then meet the dwarves as a group.

Saraphim: Sorry, but the ranger position has already been taken. You can still play a male dwarf.

All Positions Are Filled Except for 6 Male Dwarves!

Himaran
Old 03-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #28
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
No Problem, Himaran!

Arasiniel (cont.)

Arasiniel, or Aras, has dirty, road-worn clothes. He has a wide, dark cloak to be used as a sleeping cloth if necessary, with a hood. Under that, is a tunic woven by the old Dunedain before the Reforged Kingdom. He always wear his weapons over his tunic yet under his cloak, if he is wearing it. His sword belt also keeps his tunic gathered. He wears no armor, whatsoever, being careless and knowing that his time will come and no armor would stop it.

Arasiniel is quiet and withdrawn. He is not prone to enjoying others company, so don't approach him carelessly. He has given his love to a Dunedain woman, who is meant for someone else. He has been wronged ever since he was born, making him rather wary around others of his kind.

Is this enough, Himaran? I don't know much about 'defining characterisitics.'

Last edited by bilbo_baggins; 03-23-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:10 AM   #29
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Bilbo_baggins: That will be fine. You are accepted.

Six Male Dwarves are still needed/

Himaran
Old 03-23-2004, 04:29 PM   #30
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Thanks for the offer, Himaran but I'm in Last hope for Moria , and I'm having quite enough of being a dwarf for now! But You guys have fun!
Old 03-24-2004, 06:16 AM   #31
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Here is the updated list of those who are accepted and pending.

8 Male Dwarves
The Perky Ent - Good post, description, and character! Accepted.
Nilpaurion Felagund -

2 Male Ruhns
Eorl of Rohan - Check you pms
Eruwen - Check your pms

1 Female Ruhns
Arestevana - Accepted

Ranger Traveler
bilbo_baggins - Accepted

Dwarf Traveler
Will Witfoot - Accepted

Elven Traveler
Elentarimir - Accepted

Saraphim: Ok - have fun in Moria!

All Positions Are Filled Except for 6 Male Dwarves!

Himaran
Old 03-24-2004, 09:12 PM   #32
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

1420! Isn't Ruhn in Rohan? No, it's closer to Erebor! I don't think you quite understand...

It would seem we have a shortage of dwarves... I had thought that more dwarves from Road to Erebor would have been in this one also, but it is nice to see you Eruantalon, it's been awhile! Also, Himaran- how did this game end up here in the Shire?
Old 03-25-2004, 12:55 AM   #33
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Carlas

Please check your PM's.

~*~ Pio
Old 03-25-2004, 07:33 AM   #34
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Nilpaurion Felagund

That will be fine. You are accepted.

Eruantalon:

Still waiting for you to check in.

Himaran
Old 03-25-2004, 02:06 PM   #35
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pio

Thanks, I was just curious to know.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #36
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

Yay! I'm in! This looks like fun! I heard about Road to Erebor and this looks promising! It's nice to work with some new people as well as those dwarves and orcs in Moria ! Should be cool! Now if we could just get those 6 dwarves...
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 03-26-2004, 08:11 PM   #37
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Eorl of Rohan (sadly) dropped out, so....

Six male dwarves remain, along with one male Ruhn Native

I realize the bad timing, as many people are playing dwarves in 'Moria. Pio, you had mentioned pming some people that play in Rohan - could you do that? I would like to fill up these spots asap!!!

Himaran
Old 03-27-2004, 08:18 AM   #38
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril Ads in other forums

Man, i'm really going crazy over this thread not starting up, and i'm sure you are Hilmaran. So, an idea. Maybe we should post adds in other forums in case they don't know. You know, something in the form of a stickie. To me, it seems like either no one cares, or they don't know. So i think we should get the message out ASAP so we can start the RPG and start having fun!
Old 03-27-2004, 10:32 AM   #39
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Posting ads in other forums would be considered bad form.

In addition, players must have posted in the Shire Inn or in Rohan before they can play in a game in the Shire.

I have PM'd all the people on the Shire Players list and a number of people in Rohan who are not in several games already. Just sent out 5 more PM's this a.m.

What you can do is PM people you think might be interested if you wish and talk up the game to them.

~*~ Pio
Old 03-27-2004, 10:37 AM   #40
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

Oh yeah, you're right Pio. It would be weird having an add for a RPG in the Quiz Room or something! But i'll get right on that pm-ing people thing!