The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
the incompetence of the forces of good

Now,as you all has see in the movie,the regular soldiers of good are very incompetent.i mean,an uruk-hai were able to kill several elves alone?come on!an in osgiliath,we see gondorian soldiers getting whooped in the ***.in my opinion,the only good soldiers in the movie that does not get ***-whooped by isengard/mordor is the rohirrim.yeah,the horse-lords is the strongest army in middle-earth.now why pj would downgrade the good forces to such an extent?i mean,of course they were losing,but at least show them getting some kills,geez.the rohirrim meanwhile,is like an invincible army.they stomp anything but mumakil.even against a forces of 200.000,they still winning.how's that make any sense?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the eldest View Post
Now,as you all has see in the movie,the regular soldiers of good are very incompetent.i mean,an uruk-hai were able to kill several elves alone?come on!an in osgiliath,we see gondorian soldiers getting whooped in the ***.in my opinion,the only good soldiers in the movie that does not get ***-whooped by isengard/mordor is the rohirrim.yeah,the horse-lords is the strongest army in middle-earth.now why pj would downgrade the good forces to such an extent?i mean,of course they were losing,but at least show them getting some kills,geez.the rohirrim meanwhile,is like an invincible army.they stomp anything but mumakil.even against a forces of 200.000,they still winning.how's that make any sense?
Hi Tom.

It makes 'perfect' sense as (methinks) the heavy loss of soldiers makes the situation look more hopeless and desperate, so that when Legolas the Mumakil Slayer or the Scrubbing Green Bubbles show up, they are even then more heroic.

Think about the rollercoaster that was the Helm's Deep battle. Situation looks bad until the elves show up, but then they take a beating (sadly, as they were archers holding the high ground). Legolas shieldslides, and we're up for a moment, but then the Helmingas gets pushed back to the castle. We're climbing that hill, getting ready for another swoosh, which happens when Theoden and Aragorn ride out of the fortress, and then are joined by Gandalf.

It's designed for produce a specific emotional response.

For me, PJ could have left it at the children and other stragglers fleeing the orcs.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
I know it was for dramatic purpose,but it make people think that "oh,the good is is so weak.if its not for the heroes they would have been lost".its not a good way to make a dramatic scene.i think it would be better if pj make the soldiers slightly more competent,slaying some foes at least,before getting swarmed.the elves at helm's deep(hornburg),just pathetic.aragorn manage to break through their pikes,and yet the elves immediately get skewered.and when the beserker came from the ladder,it just kill 5 elves with one swing.that is not good at all.