Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #2481
Noinkling
Wight

Noinkling has just left Hobbiton.
Notch was puzzled by the quietness of the common room as he woke up. His little burrow by the fireplace was snug and warm and he almost shrugged off the lack of talking and feet scuffling along the floor and went back to sleep. But he was a curious mouse at heart.

He poked his little nose out sniffing for the smells of supper. Faint it was. Daring a further venture he eased out his head and looked about with his bright black eyes. Except for a few of the old fellows who were permanent fixtures at the Inn, the room was empty.

Eyes and ears alert; little feet scurrying along the wooden floor, Notch made for the door.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #2482
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tim and Wren Woodlock seek for Woody and Hanson

Wren held the kitchen door open so that Ginger could come through, both her hands laden, one with a basket of rolls to replace the one that sat momentarily empty on the table, and another with a plate of cookies. She cast Wren a smile to thank her and the girl grinned back and skipped out before the hobbit to make sure that nothing was in her way when she arrived at the tables laden with food.

When she was relieved of her burden, Ginger turned to Wren, who still fluttered about her, and gave her leave to go and do what she would - the work, at present, was finished. Wren nodded and waved and set off in search of her brother.

She found him shortly and they stopped and surveyed one another. He had been given a clean shirt and he had had the wits to wash his face and comb his hair back from his forehead. As for Wren, Ginger had gone to considerable lengths doing the little girl up. The dress she wore fit her well, and was perfectly pressed, and they had brushed and combed her hair until it shone and then pulled back the top and sides. She didn’t have the tumbling curls that hobbits possessed, but there was a slight wave in her dark hair that couldn’t be called unattractive.

“You look very well, Tim,” Wren said coming up to him.

“Ah, I guess,” Tim replied. As most boys probably are, he wasn’t too enthusiastic about having to dress and look nice. “Where’ve you been all this time?”

“In the kitchen, helping getting everything ready to bring out here and serve. Isn’t it jolly? We’ll have so much fun tonight! Do you suppose Woody and Hanson will be here tonight?”

“Well, that’s his uncle, I think, playing up there,” Tim replied motioning towards Gil and the musicians. “He did say he was his uncle, right?” Wren shrugged, still craning her neck to look and see. Tim bent to her level and putting his hand on top of her head, turned it in the right direction. “And if he’s their uncle, then they might be here tonight, too!”

“Oh, yes, I see!” Wren said with an excited hop. “Come on, come on! Let’s go see if we can find them. P’raps he’ll know if they’re here.” She started off in the direction of the general audience. There were many people about, some dancing, some eating, some talking, and some doing two things at a time. Tim went after his sister and caught her arm.

“We’re not going to interrupt them,” he told her.

“Oh, no, I know. Not at all. But Woody and Hanson will be about somewhere.” And once again she headed off, threading her way easily through the people in search of the two hobbit children she and her brother had met the previous evening. . .

Last edited by Folwren; 01-17-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:20 PM   #2483
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
"No, it's all right. I can get myself something. Besides, I don't know what they have."

Not put off in the least by this response Astilwen quickly moved chairs out of the way for the woman and continued to chatter as she walked along beside her.

"Well from what I saw on the way over there's plenty to choose from. If you like your savouries there's roast chicken with mounds of taters and rolls alongside butter. And if your tastes run more to the sweet side you'll find more than enough there to satisfy. Course, I don't know how much will be left by now, you might have to fight someone for it!"

Smiling she took the woman's hand to lead her through a group of hungry hobbits that surrounded the tables. She felt a slight resistance at first and would have let go, but it faded as quickly as she felt it, and soon the two of them found themselves faced with heaps of food.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #2484
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Tindo

Tindo had not intended to go to the party. What he had wanted to do was to pack his and Telu’s belongings, see to the care of their horses, pay what they might owe to the Dragon, and be ready at first light to leave the Inn. To return westward, to the havens, where he and Telu would sail West. And no amount of pouting lip, glaring eye, or threatened tears would sway him.

He’d finished the packing and was about to go downstairs to find something for his evening meal, when the sound of music and laughter drifted up and through the window to his room. He twitched back the curtain giving a cursory glance to the festivities below. He had nearly turned away when his eye caught sight of his sister. In her green dress, she was like a new leaf caught in a sudden breeze - he saw another Elf hold her hand and twirl her about. And on the Elf’s face seemed a look of interest and delight at the figure of his sister.

He rubbed at his forehead, a sort of exasperated ache furrowing his brow. ‘Telu, what are you doing now?’

All thought of eating fled him as he trounced down the stairs and out the door to the party. His gaze was fixed on his sister as he wove his way toward her . . .

Telu

Telu’s cheeks were flushed pink, from the poem Emlin had said to her and from the pressure of his hand on hers as he twirled her about. She took a deep breath in an attempt to recollect herself and a step back from him. Her eyes caught sight of Farael, across the yard from her, and she smiled, hoping he had seen her there.

‘I’ve not introduced my self,’ she began, turning her attention back to Emlin and trying to sound as normal and unflustered as she might. ‘My name is Teluyaviel. And yes, I am from the Great Green Wood.’ Her eyes clouded for a moment. ‘But of late we, my brother and I, have come from the Havens. Taking one last journey . . . at my request.’

She heard her name called from somewhere behind her. Telu turned and smiled, thinking her brother had relented and would join her at the party. ‘Tindo!’ she called back to him. ‘Come meet a new friend – Emlin.’
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 01-18-2006, 12:24 AM   #2485
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Leaf

"Well...on the way over there's plenty... from. If you like your savouries there's roast chicken... taters and rolls alongside butter. And if your tastes... the sweet side...more than enough there to satisfy. Course, I don't know how much will be left by now, you...someone for it!"

Most of what the woman said passed Ariane by in the bustle of music, noice, and typical clamor filling the room with the sound of people, though she tried to sort out the idea of what had been said. I've never met someone as eager as her before, she thought.

Working her way through a group of hobbits, she found she clung slightly to her newfound companion's hand before they finally reached the table, loaded already with food ranging from meat, vegtables, and various sweets of many types, shapes, sizes, and smells. Or perhaps... yes. Eru, I never thought anyone could match Gaelyn. Ariane smiled reminicently for a moment before latching onto a plate and sticking relatively behind the other woman to get some chicken, potatoes, and something that looked slightly like chocolate.

She had always liked sweets, and decided there wasn't anyone around to care if she gained weight from overeating. "So," she said, raising her voice slightly as she sought a roll from the table. "What's your name, anyway?"
Old 01-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #2486
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
1420! The Charm of Potatoes

“It was best for me to leave the white city. There was nothing keeping me there, I have no family, and life here seems that it will be good.” Bredan stopped and put a potato in his mouth. “and it will be amazing if these potatoes are anything to go by!” Bredan said as he scooped up more potatoes to fill his bowl. Bredan also took some slices of chicken and more vegetables that smelt like nothing he had ever smelt before. He had not realised how hungry he was until he tried that potato.

“After the party I will show you what I collected from the bandits. You can see if there is anything from the merchants that you left.”

Bredan turned to look out at the party, Farael was already looking, and Bredan sensed that he was troubled by something.

“I told Master Meriadoc that I would go back one day to see him, you can come with me when I go if you want?” Bredan hoped that this news may take his new found friends mind off of what he was thinking about.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #2487
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Astilwen had been pleased to note that the woman stayed with her at the table and even seemed to have cheered up a little. She knew she'd been pretty insistent at first but she just hated to see anyone upset, and rather than ask them about it and send them into further sadness, getting them up and about often seemed to do the trick.

Behind the general babble she heard a question directed at her, and stopped filling her plate for a moment to answer it.

"So, what's your name, anyway?"

"I'm Astilwen. Odd name for a hobbit I know but I'm used to it now! And you?"
Old 01-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #2488
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ciro walked through the shadows of the dimly-lit corridor. Sadness was etched on his face, but as yet no-one in the Inn knew why. He had met a hidden stranger by a back door of the building, and the man brought tidings which concerned Ciro deeply. He had decided to leave.

He walked to the front door and noticed a small group of folk arriving at the Inn for the party. Ciro halted in front of the door to the bar, which was open, as the group obstructed his exit. At this moment, Penn caught his eye and waved him over. She looked quite lonesome. All Ciro could do, though, was shake his head.

Penn trotted over and, pushing through the crowd at the door, asked Ciro what was wrong. "After all, there's going to be a lovely party, tonight."

Ciro looked at her carefully. "I have to go, miss" he said. "It's not safe for me to stay here. I'm sorry I couldn't speak longer with you. Do tell the Dwarves that it was a pleasure to speak with them, won't you? They'll understand."

"Don't leave!" cried Penn. But Ciro had made up his mind. His plans had gone awry. The Southern Man was in great peril and could in no way meet Ciro at the Green Dragon. The only people who would enquire about Ciro in this land now would be enemies.

He tipped his hat toward Penn, opened the front door, and strode off.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #2489
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

"I'm Astilwen. Odd name for a hobbit I know but I'm used to it now! And you?"

Ariane paused where she was examining various interesting looking sweets, the music drilling its way to loop in her head, over and over again as it carried on playing in the background, but also staying in her mind in one particular little point. "Ariane. Ariane Calthye." She shrugged. "I'm really not certain of where it came from, and a few have remarked to its tone."

She found the hobbit to be a most remarkable person, a bit like she might have ended up had she been about two feet shorter, and had a chance to grow up properly, in a much different manner. Were all short people stereotyped to be cheerful, Ariane wondered to herself? There had been a time when she had been a cheerful person who couldn't be matched for the melodrama, salient and proud of it.

Perhaps Elachi had changed her, then...

But she shook it aside. Her husband wasn't there (though some part of her mind wished he was, if only to see if he'd hit his head on the doorway), and she had someone to talk to. Someone who most certainly was not concerned about the issues in her reality. Someone who might actually hold a relatively sane conversation with her, and not care about her height, for that matter. She smiled to herself. That was a rareity.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #2490
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

"Ariane. Ariane Calthye. I'm really not certain of where it came from, and a few have remarked to its tone."

After she'd said this the woman seemed to wander off into thought for a few moments. Astilwen let her be as she finished piling her plate and, noting that her new companion seemed to have enough also, began to make her way out of the crowd.

"Well I think Ariane is a very pretty name whether it has a story behind it or not. And at least it fits you. You find people with the strangest names sometimes, often long and difficult ones that with the best will in the world you just can't remember!"

She spoke as she moved, causing Ariane to follow close behind her so she could catch the words above the noise. This had the added benefit of people moving for Astilwen, who was smaller than many hobbits, and often had trouble getting through crowds. The companionship of someone a little taller than most of those around was helpful indeed. Finally out of the mass of bodies she turned to Ariane.

"So, shall we find a table?"
Old 01-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #2491
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

"So, shall we find a table?"

Wading through the torrent of small bodies, and of course those who were far taller than Ariane herself, being as she was petite for a human being. Having followed tightly behind the hobbit (who seemed as if she were only a child in comparation to herself), she was able to catch the words over the clamor. "Certainly." She stood up on her tiptoes for a moment. "I think there's a free one over there, if you'd like."

She didn't wait for much of a reply, though, taking the inventive to menuver through the other sentients crowding the inn well enough, and placed her plate down on a fairly nearby and at the moment empty table. It wasn't that hard to get through, and she hoped that Astilwen was able to follow after without much difficulty. Ariane knew all too well what it was like to be the short one out. At least she's pronouncing my name correctly, she thought wryly, and sat down on the oaken chairs surrounding the wood table, gazing for a moment at the grain.

A strange urge drew her gaze upright for a moment and to the roof. There weren't tiles, but she hadn't expected there to be, anyway.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #2492
Huan
Haunting Spirit

Huan has just left Hobbiton.
Emlin kept his face neutral as Teluyaviel’s brother approached. 'Tindo', she had called him. But Emlin knew that was not his full name, and from the look on the man’s face he dared not use it.

‘Greetings, good Sir,’ he said in as courteous a manner as he could. ‘Emlin, late of Lindon at your service.’ Though by rights, his own age should take preference in who showed the first respect to whom. ‘I have just met your charming sister. She tells me you are from Eryn Lasgalen.’ He smiled as winningly as he knew. ‘I had many acquaintances there in my younger days. Though now,’ he said with a regretful sigh, ‘most of them have sailed West.’

He shook off the melancholy the remembrance of friends gone had brought on and smiled again. ‘I understand that you and Teluyaviel are traveling one last time before you, too, sail from the Havens.’
Old 01-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #2493
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Farael shook his head and chuckled "well, unless you can tell one person's gold from another's, I don't think I will be able to recognize much. I was carrying most of my things with me at the time and when I came back they had taken the gold and the few other valuable possesions we had. We were going to buy some of the pipe weed. I've heard they have very good weed for pipes in The Shire, and so had my father when he sent me along with other merchants to secure a deal. They decided to turn back, I decided to pull forward, hoping to find those bandits and give them what they deserve. I have spent two years in the army of Gondor, but I never saw combat and I felt restless and anxious. But now.... now I feel like I could stay at this Inn for a whole year and feel quite content." With a smile, Farael helped himself to some potatoes and after having a small taste, he took a big bite. "Eez 're egg-helent!!!!" he said, his mouth too full of potatoe.

Looking up to where he had last seen Telu, he also saw her brother and looked away, towards the lanter-lit trees and the star-lit sky. "Yes... life is good here, and full of more surprises than what one would expect. After all, war and victory are not the only ways a man can better himself"
Old 01-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #2494
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
‘She’s over there having a pint, boyo. Go join her.’ Tomlin nudged Gil with his violin bow, his chin going up to point at the cask where Rowan stood. ‘We can’t have our singer moping and stewing over some pretty little git now, can we.’

Fallon and Ferrin snickered in the background. Just out of sight of Gil, Ferrin put his hand inside his tunic and beat it against his chest, as if his heart were about to burst through the material. ‘We had a bet on remember . . .?’ asked Fallon. ‘That when the darling of all the lasses fell, he’d fall hard.’ He cocked his head toward Gil whose hands were on his hips, eyes fixed on the floor, as he listened to Tomlin speak with him.

‘Go on, Gil,’ Tomlin urged him again. ‘Tis true,’ chimed in Fallon, drawing near. ‘Go on now. Be like the rest of us poor sots in love. Make a fool of yourself with a pretty girl.’ He tapped Gil with his instrument. ‘We’ll play some jigs and reels and get people dancing. Go on, see to your little darlin’.’
Old 01-20-2006, 06:08 AM   #2495
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Remembering Beauty

“Indeed Farael, you speak wise words.”

Bredans mind went back to when he was a child in Gondor, and the shadow from the east had started rising, you did not have to speak to people to see the dread they had, Bredan had been sent with lots of other children to more safer location at the top of the city, before he left him, Fadeling, Bredans father had a long discussion, Bredan did not think it at the time, but he realised now that it was his father saying good bye.

Treat loss as you treat victory in life son, we learn by our defeats. Do not cry son, no matter how many people die in the coming battle always remember for what they died, they died to protect truth, love and all things that are good. They are important, son.

Bredan remembered the whole scene vividly, he remembered that his father reached to the back of his own neck and took of the chain that hung around his neck.

Your mother gave me this when we married, look after it for me Bredan, I will collect it later.

Bredan hugged his father,

I must now take you to where most children are hiding to keep safe,

Bredan remembered thinking how lonely he would be without his Father, he had never known his mother who died in childbirth. Fadeling his father took him to the very top of the city and walked him to edge, Bredan had clung tightly to his fathers’ hand, wary of the height. When the young Bredan looked up and saw the dark cloud above Mordor he hugged his father who kneeled down to talk to him softly.

Bredan, I want yo to look at the darkness, please.

Bredan cried and quivered, it was horrible, his father wiped tears away from Bredans’ face.

Now look the other way, look into the west.

Bredan saw fields of gold and mountains all lit up by the sun, it was beautiful.

That is what we are protecting Bredan, the beauty of Middle Earth.

They had one last embrace and kissed. Bredan was shown to an old lady that had lived next door to him and his father, she would look after him whilst his father was away.

Back at the party Bredan wiped away tears and looked at the mix of people from Middle Earth all enjoying the party together, taking a deep breath in he said, not exclusively to anyone but loud that close may here.

“That is the most beautiful thing that I have ever seen.”
Old 01-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #2496
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Needing some company

Penn watched as the mysterious man with blue eyes walked away.Turning back to the party,Penn decided it was no time to be sad.I think I need a bit more ale!(Though she probably didn't)Penn grabbed an ale from a man who was handing them out and strolled towards the stage.The music was nice,and it made Penn sway with the beat,Her blue gown swaying gently in the breeze.

She looked around still not able to see the Dwarves,but she was sure they would eventually show up.Penn was feeling a little shy with all the people around her dancing,she lived with Men her whole life,and Men very seldom danced.Penn downed the ale she carried, hoping it would loosen up her dancing legs.Penn was not one to care what people thought of her, so she held her dress up a little and moved her feet to the rhythum.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #2497
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Astilwen followed Ariane to a nearby table, following in the taller woman's wake. They managed to find an empty one, probably thanks to the number of people dancing, and sat down. Digging into her food her attention was pretty occupied for a few moments as she savoured Cook's delicious creations. She did notice though that her companion didn't seem quite so keen on her food, in fact she wasn't even looking at it, she was staring at the ceiling. Astilwen looked up, but couldn't find anything worth such attention. Intrigued, she found she couldn't keep her curiosity to herself

"Wha' iwwit tat yuw wooring a'?"

Unfortunately she realised that she had a mouthful of food as she spoke, and clapped a hand over her mouth halfway through the sentence. This at least drew Ariane's eyes back down and her mouth curled in a small smile. Recovering her composure she swallowed and smiled.

"Sorry - I asked what it was you were looking at?"
Old 01-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #2498
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Hallien went to the table, her stomach growling loudly. She loaded a plate with potatoes and other delicious-looking fare, filled a mug, and returned to her seat.

After a few moments of eating, she opened the book she had been carrying. Her fingers traveled down the page, down rows and rows of wavering script. She flipped a few pages, searching.

"Mmph!" she said, swallowing a mouthful of hot potato. " 'Ere we are." She took a long drink and studied the text.

After a moment, she picked up the lute she had leaned against the table and began to tune it softly.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #2499
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
At the sound of lute, almost as if it were a bleak heralding, a fatigued elf entered the Inn. He was of Noldor ancestery; he was tanned from his labors that no other knew of. He wore a leather jerkin, and travelling boots, with mud dried on the sides. He had long brown hair, and grey eyes to match. At a height of six feet, he towered above hobbits and many men alike. His name was not known to anyone in the Dragon, and nobody seemed to want to know it or his business. He had a small pack consisting of a waterskin, two small pots, and other overnight travelling gear. Although he boasted no weapon openly, he carried an elvish sword similar to those of the Last Alliance.

He walked up to a local, and asked him who to ask to he rent a room. He was directed to one of the Inn keepers at a counter, and payed him around thirty gold coins for a fortnight, and the keeper took the coins thankfully, and then he was surprised, then suspicous. Why would this visitor be so content with overpaying him? How does he has this wealth to throw around? Did he notice the party out front? Don't idle on it, he told himself. Dwarves seem to have hoards of gold, silver, and jools, or so the tales say. He's probably a a travelling salesman of sorts.

After leaving his gear in his room, the mysterious elf returned to the front lawn for his small dinner. A small honey cake, another cake of cram, and a goblet of miruvor with an addition of what seemed like river-water satisfied his hunger and thirst. With no more notice of whence he entered the Dragon, he retired to his bed, for a long rest he had not had in a long time.

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 01-20-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:41 AM   #2500
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Leaf Aidwain Longleaf

Aidwain Longleaf had been travelling for over a year after the depature of the Shadow in the East , he travelled everywhere except in this strange Land of the Hobbits ,in which he had at last arrived , he had never seen hobbits before but he wanted a place to stay , so he entered this Inn called the Green Dragon.

He had given his horse to the stableboy who looked on the 6 foot elf wearing silver vambraces and a green cloack with awe. Aidwain then stepped into Inn and was surprised to see some many people in the hall. Aidwain had never seen so many people of different races together in one place chatting away happily.

Aidwain was very hungry and weary from his travels so he had a meal of cram and bread with some soup and after driking some wine decided to chat with someone. He saw that there was a big party going on in the outer grounds and went outside.

Beside him there were some dwarves chatting happily, but Aidwain mostly kept away from dwarves , 'Weird creatures they are' he thought. But about two tables away from him he saw two elfs chatting merrily he decided to join them ....

Last edited by rutslegolas; 01-21-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #2501
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Uuquettanoer "Silent Smith of Solitude"

The strange elf was violently aroused from his slumber. Only a nightmare, he reassured himself. But it seemed more like his fears were calling from.

Uuquettannoer......why did you flee?.......do you feel you can hide forever in the West?.......you will be naught more than an unwanted stranger........

"I'm safe in this land. No other elf from so far knows of this place; here i can lay secret, and safe. Perhaps some wine, and a little fun with the little folk will cure my sorrowness." He left his room, and went out to the front lawn.

Surprised because of his last comment, he noticed a few other elves, one of them named Aidwain Longleaf, yet Uuquettano did not know them by name or face. He gathered his courage, being a shy and quiet elf, and longed to converse with the elves. He had not spoken to another of his race since he left his homeland.

"Greetings, fellow quendi. What brings you to this forgotten land in the north? Where do you hail from? I myself am a traveller, and I am surprised to see not only one other, but a handful of elves in this place the small folk call The Shire. I hope you enjoying this marvelous little party they have put on. I find this Inn so gay and energetic! It's almost as if I have fallen into a dream."
"But come now, we are all dressed different, what is your business if I may ask? If you would tell your names and whence you came, I would be happy to tell you mine. For I have not spoken in any long tale to anyone for what seems like ages, and now I wish to settle down with others of my kin."
Old 01-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #2502
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

At the incoherent quiry, Ariane couldn't help but smile as she waited for a more understandable reply. "Sorry - I asked what it was you were looking at?"

She grinned slightly, setting her fork down beside her plate, a slight clatter tingling the edge of the glass dish as it slipped to hit the table. "I as..." She swallowed hard to clear her mouth of potatoes, then reached to take a glass of water (for Ariane had picked one up along the way). Swallowing down a mouthful helped clear the thickness, and she managed to reply easily. "I was looking at the roof. It's sort of a... childish amusement of mine, one might say. Counting the tiles, if there are any, or beams if that replaces them."

The woman shrugged, forking some carrots. "I don't know why I do it, but I enjoy it. It's a distractor, something to shift my thought patterns from darkness to simple logic—" Something Ariane had never been able to accomplish, being more melodramatic than logical, more unpredictable than mathimatical, more of a writer and an artist than one for numbers and logical thought. But she didn't say that aloud, letting herself trail off naturally, as if she hadn't considered carrying on to say anymore. "But what do you think of the buns they have here? They're amazingly flavored." She sighed. "I cannot cook a thing without burning it."
Old 01-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #2503
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Astilwen had been interested in Ariane's explanation of why she counted what was on the ceiling and wished that she had gone on. The woman had lapsed into silence after only a few words and was obviously deep in thought, though those thoughts were apparently going to stay in her head. After a moment she had shaken herself and changed the subject entirely.

"But what do you think of the buns they have here? They're amazingly flavored." She sighed. "I cannot cook a thing without burning it."

Deciding to leave the previous matter be Astilwen went along with this new tangent.

"They're wonderful. The cook here is quite famous among these parts for her food and you can see, or should I say taste why! I'm the same as you though. My mother tried to teach me to cook by getting me to make the meal for my family once a week. And so once a week my family went hungry!"

The two of them shared a laugh born of a common misfortune and tucked back into their meals. After a happy few moments spent eating in peace Astilwen pushed her plate away from her and leant back in her chair, Ariane following suit close behind.

"So," began the hobbit, "Where is it that you hail from?"
Old 01-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #2504
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

"So, where is it that you hail from?"

A vaugely amused grin touched Ariane's face for a moment. She waited to reply this time until swallowing down her last bite of food, clear to speak without sputtering all over the table. "Ah, here, there, everywhere," she said with a hint of a melodramatic flurish, mindlessly poking at a couple of small squares of meat on her plate. "I was born near Bree, in this area, really. Not the Shire, but you know what I mean.

"I suppose I'm not essentially from Bree, considering I've lived in a few different places, Gondor for a while recently. But then, perhaps it doesn't really matter."

She grinned. "I don't need to ask you where you're from, though."

Setting aside her fork, she picked a bit at some of the remaining gravy left on the plate before finally finishing up the bits and remains left and pushing her plate aside to follow Astilwen's example. A good large meal, she thought, was one of the underspoken wonders of the world.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #2505
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

"I suppose I'm not essentially from Bree, considering I've lived in a few different places, Gondor for a while recently. But then, perhaps it doesn't really matter."

Gondor! Astilwen was now in awe of this woman. She herself had only ever heard of the place through tales that her parents friends told. She remembered hiding behind doors as a child to listen to the stories, and being chased off to bed when she was discovered. And she was discovered every time, for she could never contain her gasps of fright at the scary parts, or her laughter at the funny ones.

Now impressed she looked at Ariane more closely. Perhaps it was just the new information playing tricks on her eyes, but now that she thought about it she wondered if the faint lines she could see were the wear and tear that came from travelling. Whatever the case the woman was obviously full of surprises!

"Gondor!" She exclaimed. "Well I never. What's it like?"
Old 01-24-2006, 02:19 PM   #2506
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Credit to Don McLean

Hallien's booted foot tapped rhythmically against the leg of the chair. The instrument-- it couldn't really be called a lute anymore; she had added too many extra strings over the years-- was fully tuned and ready to play.

She leaned over the instrument's hollow body, her head nodding in time to her foot. After four beats, she started to play.

No time can pass your sight unseen,
No moment steals away unfound.
Lifetime lived in such a dream,
Floats like a feather to the ground.

And for the first time I've been seeing
The things I'd never notice, without you.
And for the first time I'm discovering
The things I used to treasure, about you.

The birds like leaves on Winterwood,
Sing hopeful songs on dismal days.
They've learned to live life as they should.
They are at peace with nature's ways.

You are as natural as the night,
And all that springs from you is good.
And the children born beneath your light,
Are like the birds on Winterwood.

And for the first time I've been seeing
The things I'd never notice, without you.
And for the first time I'm discovering
The things I used to treasure, about you.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #2507
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wren runs into Penn

Wren and Tim came out of their search fruitless. The music and songs had continued, more people had come, and more dancers had started to dance, but there seemed to be no sign of Woody or Hanson. The brother and sister finally collapsed on the bench of one of the tables. Tim leaned back on his elbows against the table and scanned the growing company. Wren sat forward her hands folded in her lap, looking out eagerly as well.

“I’m famished,” Tim finally said, sitting up abruptly. “Let’s go eat something.”

“Alright, let’s!” Wren agreed, bouncing up onto her feet. They threaded their way through the dancing and standing people, Wren going a few paces ahead. “Oh, Tim, wait and see what we’ve made!” She turned half around to talk, still going forward at half a skipping pace. “We were busy all afternoon, cooking and baking - it was wonderful! Ginger let me help with - ooomph!” The collision with someone stopped her excitement short and Tim tried to stifle his laugh. Wren regained her footing and looked up into the smiling, merry face of a young woman. The stranger had her hands on Wren’s shoulders to keep her on her feet, and she was almost laughing herself.

“I-I’m terribly sorry,” Wren said, surprised and slightly embarrassed. “Wasn’t watching where I was going.” She looked at the lady again, admiring openly the soft, flowing blue dress. “I’m sorry,” she said again. “We were going to go get something to eat.”
Old 01-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #2508
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Without his long, slightly gleaming red hair, Rían Sundry might have been able to make the few feets from the door to the desk quite unnoticed. Not that he was a master sneaker, or thief, or anything of that sort. Rían Sundry was just an ordinary-looking, thirty-or-something man, who looked weary enough to imply that he had been on the road for a couple of days. And as the Inn seemed to host an abundance of beings from races other than hobbits, he wasn’t even standing taller of the locals any more than half of the other crowd already did.

So his entrance was noted, a couple of nods and some raised eyebrows, for his hair. But that was about it. He was used to it, and happy with that. He was not a man who desired to be the center of attention anyhow, and his hair had made him learn the trick to be quite gray and elusive. Of which the second attribute indeed fitted his character quite well.

After requesting Ruby for a room and an ale, he started looking around him with a promise of a possible room, and quite an actual pint in his hand. He didn’t especially love elves – he did not hate them or anything of that sort either. They were just the queer folks he didn’t quite undestand. Not that he would have known one personally, but still. Just approaching the ladies scared him nowadays too much to even think about. Still, a pint drank alone was even below the worst standards of a part-time-loner. Happily, he saw two men talking, or which was better, being quiet for a moment, just a couple of feets away. So he walked to the table where Farael and Bredan were having their meal, introduced himself as “Reddie” Sundry, and asked, whether the seat beside them was vacant.

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-24-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #2509
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

Naria rubbed her eyes, straightened her dress and walked downstairs into the pub. She turned to go outside when she noticed two new faces with Farael. "Hmmm, I wonder if he's here for the party?" she wondered. She went to make a move to introduce herself but found a panic in her stomach and decided that maybe she should go outside for some air and food.

Once outside she felt much better and wondered where Penn had gotten herself too. There were quite a few more people than when she had gone for a nap and excitement filled her. Naria went over to a table of cakes, cookies and pies and helped herself to some delicious sweets. She washed it down with some murky looking water and decided that maybe she should go and introduce herself after all. On her way over to the pub, Naria grabbed a cup and poured herself some ale or liquid courage.

She went up the stairs to the inn and hesitated just slightly before opening the door. She walked inside and lifted her cup to her mouth and realized that it was empty. "I must have been thirsty." she murmured. It made another excuse to prolong her introduction so she went over to Ruby and asked for another pint. Naria was starting to feel the effect of the first ale since she had not had any drink since her departure. She thought to herself "maybe I should take a seat" She shuffled over to some stools that were lined up against the wall, took one out of its place and went to sit down. With some splintering of wood and a thud; Naria found herself flat out on the inn floor.

The three men who were having some conversation quickly looked over and couldn't help but snicker at her unfortunate predicament. Naria, feeling quite silly quickly got up and introduced herself.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:28 PM   #2510
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Uuquettanoer "Silent Smith of Solitude"

Aidwain Longleaf and the other two elves didn't here Uuquettanoer. Laughter from one of stories being told covered his long introduction.

Uuquettanoer was used to it. He always was shy around strangers; he would always make a long speech-like introduction. So he slowly walked away, a bit embarassed. He took some more of his own drink, more of the River-Water, and took a seat at the bar. The night's not over yet, he though. Perhaps I could strike up a conversation with a local, they would certainly be happy to tell me the date...
Old 01-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #2511
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

"Gondor! Well I never. What's it like?"

Ariane smiled briefly for a moment, temptation to ask to be excused for just a bare moment to refill her cup rising. Spent far too long there to bear entire appreciation for the country, she thought. I miss Eriador, the Breelands... "It's tall." A grin crossed her face, and she stared forlornly at the bottom of her now empty glass of water, an oxymoron in expression to say the least.

But she carried on. "Oh, it's a lovely country. I personally have a preference to these lands; quieter and smaller though they may seem, I prefer that. The Gondorians are tall, dark-haired men, it seems. The type with the eyes that can bite into your soul. The buildings are thick stone, rising up to greet the skies above Minas Tirath—although of course I was not there during the war, living in one of the outlying villiages, hardly of merit of course—but the city is great. Yet it seemed so cold, in so many places, striken with fear and a continual need to reach for the top. Not so innocent, though indeed there were places where things were... normal."

Ariane paused and drew in a breath. She had felt almost uncomfortable in Gondor, as reputed as it was among most. She preferred the simple easy pleasures of being in the Shire while a party went on and people danced, she realized. It was so much easier to handle. Safer, they had said, she remembered. Safer, but perhaps not better.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #2512
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
The door of the inn opened and a young girl with long black hair entered. She stopped on the threshold surveying the people there with a quizzical look. She seemed to be carrying a debate inside herself. After some moments she shrugged her shoulders and went to sit at an empty table.

She continued gazing at the wide variety of people with a look of intrest mingled with uneasiness. Never had she seen so many races under one roof. Deep inside herself she knew that there was a certain harmony in what she was seeing, but for the time being she could not grasp it. All she could percieve was how unfamiliar everithing was to her. She know realised- as she was sitting there, plucking up the courage to go and ask the innkeeper for something to drink and a room- how far away was Dol Amroth, her own home, and how wide was the realm of Arda.

The thought seemed to scare her, and she felt for a moment like runing away. Where to, she could not tell, but she wanted to be away from those merry people that where talking and singing, that seemed to belong to one another and to the place also. But then she relaxed, shook her head and muttered to herself:

"Come what may is all that can be said now. And you cannot say that you are blameless in this, Aniriel."

Last edited by Dimturiel; 02-09-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #2513
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Astilwen felt almost that it would have been better not to have asked about Gondor, as the smile on Ariane's face had faded and she was now staring moodily into her glass. As she had been talking she had sounded unhappy, as if her memories of the place were very bad. And her description didn't paint the city in a good light either.

"Was it so bad to live there? I thought that the king was improving things?"

Ariane turned to her with a sad smile, and seemed to be pondering her answer. Wanting to give her the time to do so, Astilwen picked up both their glasses and disappeared back into the crowd. Fighting through all the people without the help of Ariane's height proved difficult, and it was more than a few minutes before she returned.

Collapsing into her chair she passed Ariane a glass, and took a deep drink from her own while waiting for the other woman to start speaking.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #2514
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"Well, welcome Mr. Sundry and feel free to join in! we were just admiring the greatness of the people of The Shire... and the food they prepare!" Farael chuckled, unsure if such bout of friendlyness was his own or if he should blame the ales he had consumed. "Where do you hail from and how did you get to this lovely place? I am Farael of Gondor and sitting with me is Bredan of Gondor. If you tell me that you are from Gondor as well I shall start wondering if I am not soon to realize that I never left the white city at all!" Yes, it was the ale speaking, but Farael did not mind it at all.

Telu had dissapeared into the crowd again and something in Bredan's words had lifted his spirits higher even than what the ale had achieved. Farael was happy and glad to be there, even if it was by chance that he found the Inn.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #2515
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
“If it depends on my origins, rest assured, that you really have had some travels. I do dwell on these northern lands, have dwelled here, most of my life.”, said Reddie Sundry, some amusement in his smile for his newly-found comrades’ speeding high spirits, and continued: “But to be truthful with you both, I’m not a local. I come from lands east from here, and as such, I am a stranger as you are. A cheer for that to begin with?” He smiled openly to both gondorians and they smiled back. It seemed, they felt at ease together and they drank together. Reddie felt good just to sit here with these strangers.

Just as Reddie was about to make a question concerning the two gondorians’ being here at the northern outposts of civilized Middle-Earth, a loud crash went into the air. They all turned to look for the cause of this distraction and saw a young lady laying at the floor with a broken chair. They looked at each other and smiled, snickered a bit, and toasted again. Reddie shook his head and said jokingly “You should never tend a young lady more than one beer, after that they both lose their legs, and forget their heads. That’s an old saying around where I come from. I have sometimes wondered, whether it really is true, but the world seems to be proving it, day after another”. They all laughed again.

Then there was an odd silence. It started from Bredan, who was the first to notice. Then Farael got up to the situation. Reddie came to understand the reason of the quick silence only after hearing soft words being uttered quite near to his head: “Hello. Sorry to distract you. My name is Naria”. Reddie blushed somewhat, but concealed it bravely. His hand didn’t shake noticeably when he shook hands with Naria in his turn.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #2516
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

"Was it so bad to live there? I thought that the king was improving things?"

Ariane waited until the hobbit had returned from the crowd of people, her glass refilled, and accepted it gratefully, sipping at it. "I'm sorry I appeared so down about it. Gondor isn't such a bad place... I suppose my negative view is from more personal issues. The king did improve things greatly, that I can honestly say."

She offered a half-hearted grin. Around them, the party carried on, music playing, people going back for seconds, and even thirds now of food. And, of course, the ever carrying hum of other voices chattering, forcing the human to have to raise her voice just a bit more to be comfortably heard over the sound of the music. "But enough about my issues. I can't help I'm this way. What's interesting about life in the Shire?"

Was it her imagination, or did the hobbit seem bored of the idea? Perhaps so. Ariane recalled a time when living in a quieter town had seemed so dreadful when there was an entire universe beyond her sights! Who knew, perhaps even the stars would be different if she were to leave Bree...

They had been, she remembered with a faint smile. Along with so many other things.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #2517
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Teluyaviel smiled gratefully at Emlin from behind her brother’s back. The older Elf’s courteous words had engaged Tindomion, who now felt he had someone of equal standing who might understand and sympathize with him. She backed away as Tindo began his complaint about her, mouthing a heartfelt ‘Sorry!’ to Emlin as she did so.

She wormed her way through the crowd, putting as much distance between herself and Tindo as she could. A short ways away now, she saw Farael. He was sitting with two other men. Eating and drinking and looking as if they were enjoying each other’s company.

Telu pushed back her long dark hair, catching a few stray tendrils behind her ears. She shook out the skirt of her green dress and took a deep breath. The men looked quite engaged with each other, but making herself bold she approached the table.

‘Would you have room at this merry table for one more to join you?’ she asked, a smile dimpling her face.
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 01-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #2518
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

"But enough about my issues. I can't help I'm this way. What's interesting about life in the Shire?"

Allowing Ariane to skirt around these personal issues that had so affected her life in Gondor, Astilwen set about making her feel more at ease with tales of the Shire. As she spoke though, she found it hard to think of things that made life interesting. Fun and enjoyable and comfortable yes, but not interesting. She loved it here, and would never wish to have been born anywhere else, for even in Bree the hobbit parents weren't so free with their friendships and their children, having to look out for the Big People all around. The sheltered life that hobbits in the Shire had was often taken for granted, but it was still appreciated.

She realised that she had trailed off into thought, and that Ariane was looking saddened at the thought that perhaps the Shire was not the paradise it was made out to be. Feeling ashamed of herself for thinking such thoughts about her home Astilwen quickly set about telling tales of parties and happenings that had occurred in her lifetime, and soon had the other woman laughing at her descriptions of hobbits so fat after sumptuous meals that they could not walk themselves home.

"It sounds wonderful!" Ariane said through her giggles.

"It is." Sighed Astilwen. "But sometimes I feel that I would like to leave, to see more of the world, like you."
Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #2519
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

After the little incident with the chair, Naria approached Farael and his two newfound friends. He stood up and introduced the lady to Bredan and Reddie and just as he was sitting down he heard a voice he had been craving -and dreading- to hear all night long.

"Would you have room at this merry table for one more to join you?’" Said Teluyaviel which prompted another round of introductions. "Gentlemen and Naria, this is Teluyaviel from the lands that used to be called Mirkwood. Telu, these are Bredan of Gondor (like myself), Reddie Sundry from the eastern lands... no, pardon me, from the east of these lands and Naria whom I believe you have met this afternoon." After everyone at the suddenly crowded table had said their respective 'hello's and 'how are you's they went back to what seemed to be the most popular conversation topic with the strangers to The Shire. The food.

"Ladies, Gentlemen," Started Farael "I have travelled a little bit. Little by elven standards, " he nodded at Telu "but a fair bit for us men. I was born in Gondor and traveled to many a city on its realms. I have been to Rohan as well yet I have never tasted food as good as the one I have today. I don't know if Master Bredan has heard this during his time in the White City but for a while it was fashionable to compliment someone's cooking by saying that it was 'as good as Lembas for a tired traveller' -considering My Lord the King used to have it as a meal during his great adventures- but if M'lady Teluyaviel will forgive me I shall declare that this food is even better than the elven bread!" He realized then that, caught up in the moment, he had stood up and was holding his mug of ale as if proposing a toast. "Cheers" he muttered and sat down again, hoping in the soft yet dim light no one would notice him blushing.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:47 AM   #2520
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Gammer Boffin, Woody, and Hanson arrive . . .

Gammer Boffin turned her little cart into the lane leading down to the Inn and clucked at the pony to speed him up. ‘Step lively, Strawfoot!’ she called to him. ‘Don’t want to miss the party.’ She turned to her great grandsons, Woody, eleven years, and Hanson, five, who sat squirming on the seat next to her.

‘Seems old Strawfoot ain’t listenin’ tonight lads. He’s as slow as molasses in Afteryule!’ she cackled. ‘Might as well jump down, you two, and run and get Granny a nice comfortable chair, not to far from the food and drink, mind you.’ She watched as the two little boys jumped from the slow moving cart.

‘And see if you can find Gil, will you lads? Tell him Granny’d like to sit with him a spell.’ She watched as they ran off toward the gathered crowd of partygoers. With a sigh and another cluck of her tongue she turned Strawfoot toward the stable and let him amble along.

--------------------------------------

Gil

Make a fool of yourself in love . . . the words seemed to echo about in his head as he walked to where Rowan stood, leaning against the end of a table near the casks of ale.

She watched him as he drew near, her eyes glancing at him with a hint of mischief over the rim of her mug. She scooted over, making room for him to lean against the table, too. He cleared his throat, intending to say something clever, but nothing came out. And suddenly his throat was parched, his tongue as dry as a bone.

He turned and raised his brows enquiringly at her; his hand going up toward his mouth as he mimed drinking. Not waiting for her to say ‘yes’, he took the mug from her hands and swallowed a big gulp.