The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
elbenprincess
Haunting Spirit

elbenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Galadriel and Feanor equal?!!?

There is that quote in UT and I would like to know what you think about it.

Quote:
"...In this he (Tolkien) emphasized the commanding stature of Galadriel already in Valinor, the equal if unlike endowments of Fëanor; and it is said here that so far from joining in Fëanor's revolt she was in every way opposed to him.
True or not true?

IMO true, already in his other works, Hdr for example, Galadriel is noticed to be great.
Others say that Galadriel didn´t proved herself enough and therefore can not be feanors equal, even if Tolkien said that.

What has more weight, the fact that she maybe didn´t demonstraded her power enough (wich IMHO she did) or the fact stated by Tolkien?

And what might equal mean? Equal in power and might too, Feanor is said to have a flame burning too bright in him, nothing like that is stated about Galadriel.
Or were they both "just" brilliant?
elbenprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
She and Feanor were called "the greatest of the Eldar in Valinor" [p. 241]. If they're not equals in stature they're close. C.T. says of a late note his father wrote, "he emphasized the commanding stature of Galadriel already in Valinor, the equal if unlike endowments of Feanor" [UT, p. 243] Of Feanor's endowments we're told, "Feanor was made the mightiest in all parts of body and mind, in valour, in endurance, in beauty, in understanding, in skill, in strength and in subtlety alike, of all the Children of Illuvatar." [Sil, p. 112] The quote says "unlike endowments" but apparently compared to Feanor she's "wiser than he" [UT, p. 241] but in understanding, "she had early absorbed all of what she was capable of the teaching which the Valar thought fit to give the Eldar" [p. 243] and she wanted to learn more which she did on her emigration to Beleriand where she became a pupil of Melian for instance. Like Feanor she was "strong of body, mind, and will, a match for both the loremasters and the athletes of the Eldar" [p. 241]. Being a Noldo I assume Galadriel created that basin in which the past, present, and possible futures could be seen. She also appears to almost act like Melian in her protection of Lorien. We know none but Sauron himself in person could breach her defenses there. Her function in Middle-earth is compared to Manwe. It is said she could not fight so others like Elrond could beat her. However, it appears she took up arms against Feanor and his group at the Kinslaying to defend her other people.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
elbenprincess
Haunting Spirit

elbenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you for your reply.

What does "greatest" mean when Tolkien uses that word. Some argue that it can not mean the best or most powerful rather 'grande' and 'splendour'. I´m not so sure myself.

When Tolkien describes Luthien as the greatest elf, does he mean that she is inherent more powerful than him (I would guess she is) but she is never called mighitiest (Feanor is called that) "just" greatest.
elbenprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'm not sure where Luthien is said to be the greatest Elf but it does appear that Tolkien does use the same descriptions for various characters. Like two different characters might have "strongest" alotted to them.

I would not think Luthien was inherently more powerful than Feanor. From my reading several different texts state that Feanor was the supreme Elf. For example, in Morgoth's Ring it's said of Feanor, "This child is the greatest in gifts that hath arisen or shall arise among the Eldar." [240] Greatest in gifts which is quite specific. Mandos says, "Aule nameth Feanor the greatest of the Eldar, and in potency that is true." [247]
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Leaf Galadriel the wiser

It appears that while Lúthien was the best looking among Men and Elves, Fëanor was the most intelligent and artistically gifted, as well as being no slouch in the looks department. Galadriel, it is implied, ended up being wiser than her uncle, as the years went on. She was also good looking, particularly that hair...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beauty among the Elves tends to be inherently a given. Galadriel and Luthien it would seem would be in the upper tier and Feanor was said to possess this quality in abundance as well. It is mentioned that his wife was not the best looking among the Elves and the suprise among his people that he would choose to wed her. I agree that Feanor was the most artistically gifted among the Elves and inherited much from his mother and father. It's said she made with her weaving skills things concering the deeds of her people in ME that seemed so real that they were mistaken for real Elves. Skills aside, it also seems that Feanor also possessed other gifts in abundance as well, that is, whatever powers Elves would possess which we would like to measure as regards to if this one Elf is stronger than that Elf.

Certainly one would question this when looking at some of the deeds of the Elves in ME like Fingolfin's battle with Melkor, or Glorfindel and Ecthelion taking out Balrogs, or Luthien and Felagund battling Sauron or even Gil-Galad defeating Sauron in combat. I would think that if given the opportunity Feanor would have the potential to match any of these feats. All I do know is that his small band destroyed the army Melkor planned to use to overrun Beleriand, and that when he was defeated he and a small company of his Elves were surrounded by Orcs and Balrogs and Gothmog in the end struck him down. From this all one can glean is that Elves are more durable than Men when it comes to taking punishment and that Feanor was grossly outnumbered especially with the Balrogs there.

However, with Galadriel it is mentioned that her gifts or endowments were basically the equal of Feanor. Though they are referred to as unlike endowments, whatever that means. She it seems would be the 2nd among Elf-kind behind Feanor when it comes to inherent potential and abilities.

Last edited by Belegorn; 03-09-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Belegorn is offline   Reply With Quote