The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
Tolkien Golden Globe Results

With the Golden Globes tonight, I would like to take the moment and record the awards that The Lord of the Rings won, for those who did not have the opportunity to watch. <P>It was up for four golden globes and the results are as follows:<P>Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score<BR>Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song<BR>Golden Globe Award for Best Director<BR>and finally<BR><B>Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture!!!!!!!</B><BR>
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 10:15 PM   #2
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
<B>YESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!</B><P>I for one believe ROTK will get Best Picture and Best Director next month at the Oscars!<P>Wow - I am so happy for PJ, cast, and crew!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:17 PM   #3
stickifinger
Animated Skeleton

stickifinger has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was well-deserved. It's about time those folks show some taste.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:40 AM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, it was so great that they won! They went 4 for 4, 100%, A+, it was great!<P>The actual show was kind of boring, but the wins were wonderful. It was so nice actually seeing PJ win something <P>Congradulations to all the cast and crew for a job well done <P>Now... On to the Oscars!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:10 AM   #5
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Whoa, how cool I had no idea. Who of the cast and crew was at the show, besides PJ?
Old 01-26-2004, 03:03 AM   #6
TheBladeThatWasBroken
Animated Skeleton

TheBladeThatWasBroken has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheBladeThatWasBroken
Sting

w00t!!<P>I got so excited when I heard the news that I ran around my house screaming and calling every one of my friends...<P>They say whoever wins the Goloden Globe usually wins the Oscar... ehehehehe<P>sorry, still hyper
Here I set it, but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.
TheBladeThatWasBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:18 AM   #7
Moonmaid
Pile O'Bones

Moonmaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm so happy! Big congratulations!<P>As stickifinger said, it's about time...
Old 01-26-2004, 07:06 AM   #8
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! <P>And did you note that the Office won Best Comedy and Ricky Gervais Best Comedy Actor?! I really ought to start watching the Office, the ads look hilarious.<P>But yeah man, about time ROTK was recognised...which song won the gong? Would it be the one by Annie Lennox? And I'm glad it got Best Soundtrack...I can listen to it 5 times a day and not get bored. <P>BEST FILM!!! WAHOO!!!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:16 AM   #9
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Personally, I think Into the West is the weakest of the three LotR songs. I think Gollum's Song the best. But I'm delighted about best picture and director.<P>OT - The Office is fantastic, we love it to bits over here, but it's so very English in its humour and situation, I'm surprised it has travelled successfully. And what a shame Murray pipped Depp for the comedy award...
Old 01-26-2004, 07:21 AM   #10
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Shield

I couldn't stay up to watch the whole thing last night since I have a Regents exam today *bites nails nervously*... but I saw the soundtrack award and the Into the West song award. I'm so glad that it did win for best director and for best picture. Peter Jackson, cast, crew and everybody else definitely deserve the awards. Bravo! <P>Now, let's hope that the Academy feels the same way. I would be surprised if they don't, but we'll see. <P>Edit:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And what a shame Murray pipped Depp for the comedy award <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He did!? I was almost sure Johnny Depp would get it. That is a shame, though I guess Bill Murray must have been good too.<p>[ 8:25 AM January 26, 2004: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 01-26-2004, 08:06 AM   #11
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
Sting

Evisse: <P>As to who else was at the show we had Elijah, who was doing the synopsis of the movie during the show, Cate Blanchet was there, but more for her role in that other movie she did, and I believe I saw Dom at the end, when LotR won, but it was only for a fration of a second, but I could be wrong.<P>As to where everybody else was . . . I have no idea. I kept scanning the crowd for anybody but continuously came up empty. The LotR turnout was kinda sad last nigh.
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 AM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
I saw a brief clip off Jackson and the cast accepting the Best Film Award on Sky News today. Jackson dedicated it to the Professor, which I thought was rather nice.<P>(As for the Office, I'm a great fan (see my sig), so I'm very glad about that winning too. I understand that its been doing well on BBC America and that an American version is being made. If you haven't seen it, you don't know what you're missing. It is very "English", but then so was Fawlty Towers. )<p>[ 11:45 AM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 01-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #13
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and I believe I saw Dom at the end, when LotR won, but it was only for a fration of a second, but I could be wrong.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They showed Dom earlier as well. When PJ was accepting the Best Director award, they showed him twice. Both times, he had a tear about to run down his face. It was so great. And John Rhys-Davies was there at the end. I think I might have seen Billy Boyd up there at the end, but I might have been wrong. All I know is there was a short man with a receding hairline who looked like him. I was just wondering where Sean Astin was. He always comes to these things. <P>It was great though when I saw Philippa Boyens, Bob Shaye, Michael Lynne, and Fran Walsh there. You don't usually see all of them there at the awards shows. It was very nice. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>As to where everybody else was . . . I have no idea. I kept scanning the crowd for anybody but continuously came up empty. The LotR turnout was kinda sad last nigh.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It was just the Golden Globes, after all. Since now I am almost sure that ROTK will win at the Oscars, we should be able to see a lot more of the actors there...since it is a bigger awards show.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:12 PM   #14
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Ah, the Golden Globes...I swear the most boring awards show ever next to the Juno's. But I weathered most of it because of the high nominations, plus I really wanted to see Will and Grace win something(they didn't, stupid Angels in America) Throughout the first half of the show before any LOTR nominations were mentioned, I scanned the faces in the audience and was muttering under my breath stuff like "Theres a Peter!" "Theres an Elijah, theres a Dominic hiding behind a scruffy beard." and so on. I was so pleased with Howard Shore for winning best original score. I love him and his work, he ranks pretty high in my favourite composer's list. <P>I also found the Globes to be pleasantly predicatable. It they win one globe, they're bound to win another. So my spirits rose after the two music awards went to LOTR, and I was confident about PJ and the movie winning their awards. This gets me so pumped for the oscars. I hope my prediction comes true and ROTK takes the oscars by storm(at least that was my prediction around this time last year) we shall see, but I hope so.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:23 PM   #15
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, here's to ROTK at the Oscars!!! *Raises a glass...of water* (I don't like alcohol, and besides, I'm 15...)<P>I love Gollum's song. It is way better than this 'Into the West'...but hey, if there wasn't anything to top it...at least it won an award!!! <P>ROTK really ought to get the costumes gong...I haven't seen anything to rival them, and having seen them close up (yeah, I finally got to go to the Exhibition)...wow man, they're just as stunning close-up as far away (in fact more so...which struck me as odd as I swear some textiles teacher of mine said that movie costumes never look as good close up as on screen...they use glittery stuff etc that looks more tacky close up. Well, I beg to differ on this one).<P>(Ok, ok, I'll try and find time to watch the Office at some point, Saucy...my uncle recommends it too...I've got coursework and stuff on at the moment though...thank goodness my Mocks are over! [You don't know how close I was to putting 'thank the Valar' there...but I deemed it a little <I>too</I> obssessive to thank things that don't even exist... ])
Old 01-26-2004, 01:35 PM   #16
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

Excellent. I'm so glad they won all the awards they were up for. Kudos to Jackson for thanking Tolkien. Where would we be after all without him? <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>though I guess Bill Murray must have been good too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Lost in Translation is a good movie. Check it out sometime. It was Sofia Coppola's first movie. <P>As for the Oscars, they're to be announced tomorrow morning, eh? Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:56 PM   #17
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Hey, does anybody know what time tomorrow? I keep seeing ads for it, but they never give a time.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:01 PM   #18
Kronos
Animated Skeleton

Kronos has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Lost in Translation is a good movie. Check it out sometime. It was Sofia Coppola's first movie. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually I believe that The Virgin Suicides was her first film. She's a better director than actor thats for sure.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #19
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Squeeeeeee! I'm so happy RotK won. Take that, Cold Mountain! I wasn't even watching the awards last night, but the radio was on, and the guy on it said "Well, here's something for the Hobbit-heads," and said that RotK won Best Picture. I didn't even find out until today that it won any of the other awards. And now on to the Oscars!
Old 01-26-2004, 05:25 PM   #20
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Hey, does anybody know what time tomorrow? I keep seeing ads for it, but they never give a time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think they are announced at 5:30 a.m., U.S. Pacific time. Here's to getting a lot of nods!
Old 01-26-2004, 06:12 PM   #21
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Excellent!!!! I was so dearly hoping for LotR to finally get the recognition that it deserves. Perhaps now the Academy will come to their senses and thoroughly award RotK. Peter, the cast, and the crew definitely deserve it!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:26 PM   #22
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

ROTK better kick Cold Mountain's butt. I hated CM. It wasn't because it was a bad movie but the ending ticked me off beyond belief. I also think Nicole Kidman was not right for the role. Renee Zelwiger did a good job though, but ROTK is still so much better.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:40 PM   #23
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
YEEHEE!!!!!!!! I AM SO GLAD COLD MOUNTAIN'S BUTT WAS KICKED!!!!!<BR>okay got that off my chest <BR>Anyway each time Lord of the Rings won I went crazy, my brother was looking at me in that "oh, why is my sister such a LOTR freak?" kinda way. I guess most of you will know that look.<BR>The golden globes gave me lots of hope for the Oscars.<BR>Gotta see the nominations tommorrow even if <BR>I have to wake up at 6:30!<BR>What is up with this Angels in america? It looked rather dumb from the clips they showed.<BR>Also I think Will and Grace should have gotten a Golden Globe because it is such a funny show. But Angels in America and Sex and the City had to win instead.<BR> <BR>Oh well there is always next year!<p>[ 8:45 PM January 26, 2004: Message edited by: Lathriel ]
Old 01-26-2004, 07:48 PM   #24
NZ Ringbearer
Haunting Spirit

NZ Ringbearer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to NZ Ringbearer
Ring

I watched them, and went mental. Am so happy! No movie can stand the might of RETURN OF THE KING! The Oscars are coming...hopefully RotK will clean up. Anyone know when the nominations are out?<P>Did anyone see Fran Walsh dedicate the Best Original Song award to Cameron Duncan? I'm from Middle-Earth (literally - check the name!) and I saw one of Cameron Duncan's films. It was about ten mins, and was on TV once. It was real good. He showed a lot of promice. Apparently, his mum's really stoked.<P>I watch the Office! I was happy, too, to see it win. <P><BR>Now we get ready for the Oscars. <BR>Go Return of the King!

Frodo Lives! Spread the word! Say 'No' to Nazgul!!!
NZ Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:48 PM   #25
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

YAY!!!<BR>Go LotR: RotK!!!<BR>I'm really glad that it is finally getting some recognition. I have no idea how it will do because I haven't seen CM or LiT. I do hope it does well at the Oscars though!<P>Lots of exclamation points there.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:28 PM   #26
PoisonIvy
Pile O'Bones

PoisonIvy has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

CHEERS! CHEERS! HEAR YE! HEAR YE! <BR>Finally, finally, finally, just as all you guys say, it's about time. I really hope the golden globes is a foreshadowing of what to expect in the oscars because if they're not and something really bad (you know what I mean)happens during the oscars, I don't know what I'd do. I'm sure the world will protest or maybe rise in arms. Scary if the Academy doesn't recognize the efforts poured into RotK. but hey, pessimism has no room for me. and I'm very confident that RotK will prove to be a very strong (REALLY STRONG) contender in the Academy Award race, a force to reckon with. let's push up our support and prayers for PJ, the cast and the entire crew of LOTR.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:54 PM   #27
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

I tried not to care whether RotK won any awards because no matter what anyone said I knew it was an amazing film. But I must admit, when it won best picture at the Globes, I was erm.. very excited to say the least and When PJ got best director and Dom was looking a little teary I was quite moved. So now I'm hoping for at least one or two big wins at the Oscars, just because they deserve to win, but if not it will just prove how corrupt the Academy is... and how biased I am...
Old 01-26-2004, 09:46 PM   #28
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It figures. The one year I don't watch the Golden Globes Lord of the Rings gets the gold. <P>Does anyone know if there will be encores? And if there are when will they be?<P>GO ROTK!!!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:59 PM   #29
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Rose Cotton, If you missed the show they are going to be reairing it again on the cable channel Bravo. It will be on next Saturday (January 31) at 9:30 p.m.<P>If anyone has not seen these, you have to see them...<BR><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1294/" TARGET=_blank>Golden Globes Photo Gallery</A><BR>Some of them are just so great. The Howard Shore one is a wonderful highlight
Old 01-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #30
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think I'm going to go weep now. Some of those pictures were just so tearjerkingly happy! *sniffle sniffle*
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 03:06 PM   #31
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It figures. The one year I don't watch the Golden Globes Lord of the Rings gets the gold <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yea I missed it to. Then again i miss it every year but I always like to see who eind the awards. I'm realy pleased with all the awards RotK has won and im sure that PJ and the others will do even better in the Oscars. Thanks for the pictures to Gorwingal. I really needed to see them after missing the actual show.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:45 PM   #32
Arcuwen
Pile O'Bones

Arcuwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arcuwen
Sting

<BR>Just have to smile! I had a jump up and down and doing chorus line kicks in the living room moment each time they won. I normally don't watch those award shows but something told me the ROTK would take the Globes by storm. Guess my instincts were right! Sure hope it turns out the same way at the Oscars because if it doesn't, they're going to have to deal with a mob of angry half-crazed fans (like me). Finally, they recognize a movie WORTH recognizing.
Arcuwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:12 PM   #33
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Well deserving. I gasped everytime Rotk won something. While watching the whole awards show, I was busy organizing my readings (taxing, very). But when the nominees were introduced beforet the announcing of the winner, I stopped and dropped everything at Shore's (Howard) music as if it were a national anthem or something.<P>Yep, that was Dom, looking like a rock star (love it when hobbit-like fellows dress that way), tearing at Jackson's acceptance speech, and for once, the happy expression on Elijah's face was unfathomable (his eyes are just so brilliantly full of expression most of the time--that night, he looked happy, and seemed to not know what to put on his face--I'm at a loss of words meself). I don't think that Billy Boyd was there (although, looking at <B>Gorwingel's</B> link, he might be the guy over at far right), and I'm as surprised as anyone that Sean Astin wasn't visible.<P>I am happy at Peter's salute to the different independent movie directors. That says a lot. I was also laughing endearingly at Jackson's remarks about him not being appropriately dressed. Not prob, Pete!<P>And as for a parting shot...I was listening to a radio show here in Manila, and the dj said something about Fran Walsh. They were trying to look for a picture of Fran Walsh on the net, but couldn't. They said that the rumor was that Fran is so drop-dead gorgeous, and it would be best to "keep" her "hidden." Seeing her for the first time, though...she looked adorable. It was my first time to see her ever, and I was like <I>oh so that's Fran!</I> <P>*goes off and thinks: how could someone as cute as her sound like a Nazgul?* <P>Another parting shot (a bit OT, though)...Was it just me or did Johnny Depp have an accident at his table? The camera briefly showed something over at his corner, and it looked as if he dropped a glass or a dinner plate or something. Too bad he didn't win a Globe that night.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote