The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Yregwyn
Animated Skeleton

Yregwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Hurin

When Hurian was called the greatest mortal ever do you all think that would include the Dunadan? I realize he was Edain, and the Numenorians decended from them. Also they were privlaged you could say, but they still had to die. What do you all think?

P.S im new if this has already been a topic im sry XD
Yregwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome!

I believe the quote from The Silmarillion states Húrin was "mightiest of the warriors" of Men. That would seem to refer to his being the most accomplished in armed combat in Middle-earth at that time (among Men), but not necessarily of all time.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
When Hurin left Doriath and died "as the mightiest of warriors of mortal Men" [Silmarillion ch. 22] I do not think this included the High Men who would arise later on. There are several instances in the 3rd Age where other descendants of the people whom the Edain came from are compared to the Dúnedain and are like children next to them. For example, Faramir is seen by Eowen as basically untouchable by any warrior of Rohan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotK, Bk. 6, ch. 5, p 265
for she was bred among men of war, that here was one whom no Rider of the Mark would outmatch in battle.
There is an instance when the Dúnedain make their first return to M-E and even though they appeared as Elf-lords in bearing to the Edain they met, the Edain themselves would not look out of place had they gone to Númenor.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Yregwyn
Animated Skeleton

Yregwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Welcome!

I believe the quote from The Silmarillion states Húrin was "mightiest of the warriors" of Men. That would seem to refer to his being the most accomplished in armed combat in Middle-earth at that time (among Men), but not necessarily oall time.
This is what i was talking about. I started thinking one day Elros vs Hurin..... or Elendil for that matter. in my opinion as much as i like Hurin, i think alot of the Dunadain would be greater. But i also think as Belegorn said, Hurin would have fit in nicely in Numenor.
Yregwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Definitely it would seem to mean he was the mightiest of all men and he has the accomplishments that attest to that. When we consider he is called mightier than Beren, Turin and Tuor then no doubt he was far mightier than the Dunadan especially in the third Age. Aragorn can not hope to hold a candle to the likes of Glorfindel, but Turin, Beren etc were mightier than most elf lords.

It's also mentioned somewhere that at the moment where he defied Morgoth, his spirit was mightier than any man had ever reached.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
It's also mentioned somewhere that at the moment where he defied Morgoth, his spirit was mightier than any man had ever reached.
That's not a reference I recall, but it's certainly a singular occurrence in the books that a mortal Man was strong enough in will to resist the most powerful incarnate being in Middle-earth. It's a shame he couldn't keep up that level of defiance after Morgoth released him. Even knowing that Morgoth had an ulterior motive for doing so, he allowed himself to be used, and gave up the location of Gondolin, information that he had directly refused to tell under interrogation.