Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #601
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
No, just fireworks. The other hadn't actually occurred to me.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #602
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I've tried to make the switch to wi-fi, but for some reason the whole house seems like a dead spot or it's a malfunctioning device? The last two weeks my internet has been pretty much limitted to going to the library, but my library sets an 1-hr limit per day.

Long story short, if anyone can keep Branor's character around that would be greatly appreciated. Everyone's seen enough of his character and personality I think to do him justice. There was the recent complexity with Brinn and trying to find Therian, but Bran's major cares are the play and specifically his role in it. Anything else added, I'd consider a bonus.

I think Fea is gone for the rest of the weekend, I don't know her exact plans for Therian other than Therian's disappearance had an interesting reason. I'll try to get in touch with her to see what she wants to do.

Hopefully when a member of the geek squad comes out here on Monday this wi-fi malfunction can be solved.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #603
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm around and have been keeping tabs for when we've progressed enough into the Day (or the next Day) for Therian to come back all proud of himself for his adventure (that I'm still keeping a secret).

Everyone can gossip about him as they like, and if they even notice he's gone, they could clearly hypothesize about his plans. Promise I'll jump in when it's time for Therian to get his self in gear again. For now, he's off having a rather tragic time that I'll deal with via flashback or dialog once he's with everyone again.

Xoxo,

me
Old 06-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #604
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
I'm around and have been keeping tabs for when we've progressed enough into the Day (or the next Day) for Therian to come back all proud of himself for his adventure (that I'm still keeping a secret).
*is curious* anything to do with the mysterious old man they met earlier?
Anyway, great you and Boro are still with us!

So, since Harry apparently doesn't want to get any Famous Last Words in, is it OK if I move our three jailbreakers to just outside Ecsichil's house later today? (Speaking of which, there's a party supposed to be going on in there, isn't it? Ang? phantom?)
Old 06-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #605
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I was waiting for phantom to respond to my last; I certainly strongly feel the party should be given some space to breathe before the gatecrashing.

What time are you planning on striking? At the moment we're about 6 in the afternoon, an hourish after "eleven bells" when Aldarion met Aerwen; Cirdacil and V. are only arriving at midnight; in between that I wanted to stick in a banquest, a theatricals, some flirting and Sador's Devious Proposition, but we seem to have slowed. I apologise for my part in that

Since I can see you're (rightly) eager to get going, I'll put down a save. I will fill it in either with the banquet stage or with an "extra" scene involving Cirdacil and the King I've literally just barely conceived, depending on how soon Aldarion checks back in and what phantom wants to write; I will fill this in...late tonight I think.

OK? That means if you feel you absolutely must press on now, I can make a lot of what I'd like to happen, if not perhaps all of it, be in my save

"I apologise for the delay, normal services will be resumed when the leaves have been removed from the line"

EDIT: if you do want to write it with our heroes following the carriage and finding the place easily enough, you should know that they'll find a luxurious, wide rather than tall, yellow sandstone mercantile mansion (I've described it a bit further up) at the top of the Sixth Circle where it meets the Seventh and the Citadel, and totally unguarded (Ecsichil and his wife are pleasure-loving nonentities who would employ lots of pompous liveried upper servants, but no armed security). Basically think less medieval/Renaissance, more Restoration/Regency

EDIT 2: main relevant films: Draughtsman's Contract, Barry Lyndon

Last edited by Anguirel; 06-05-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #606
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

actually, may I attempt to backseat drive with one further suggestion? It would be great if you could (maybe with some high-falutin' reference to Beren and Finrod's disguise) knock out some hapless servants, take their livery and mingle. My aristos with the possible exception of Aerwen wouldn't really care to tell one servant from another, and it would be a good way for your rescuers to witness the party's goings-on at a level pace

but I know, "less level, more haste" ...
Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #607
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
No hurry, Ang - it's just that nothing else has been happening for a few days (I've been a little lazy myself), and not being sure how extensively you and phantom intend to write about the party, I meant to get things moving again. No need to get hectic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
What time are you planning on striking?
I was thinking shortly after Cirdacil and Vëandur arrive. MA is a big city, and it'll take time to inquire after the carriage (even more after dusk - less people in the streets), so that should be realistic, no?

So maybe a post getting the three of us on our way (and maybe Dim and Nerwen can think of things happening along), and we can time our arrival whenever you see fit. We'll still have to stage our diversion and "sneak in", so there should be ample space for you to stick a number of posts about the party in between. OK?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #608
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Cool. And what about the disguise idea, do you like that? I've got this really insuperable image of Coldan in an eighteenth century powdered wig and loads of frogging

I noticed I used the very new coinage "banquest" earlier. A portmanteau word acting according to Doc. Freud indeed: epic adventure, legal chicanery and eating in one slow-simmered soup?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #609
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
actually, may I attempt to backseat drive with one further suggestion? It would be great if you could (maybe with some high-falutin' reference to Beren and Finrod's disguise) knock out some hapless servants, take their livery and mingle.
Ah, I had overlooked that one before. Like it! Imagine Aldarion's surprise...
Old 06-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #610
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

filled. King Elessar talks in riddles (and incidentally, I confirm Sador's real name)
Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #611
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

All right- I have returned home, and I will try and get caught up on the story tonight or tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #612
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Aldarion has exchanged words with Gloredhel and is prepared to trade pleasant greetings with the rest of the company, Ang. Consider him to tactfully guarded but not unfriendly, as he does not know which folks are up to what things etc. No reason to be impolite unless there is a clear reason to be, not to mention Aldarion misses going to fancy parties.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #613
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen on game thread
strip them, bind them, stuff them in a closest
Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.
And I so love what you did with that Asta-Lúthien analogy. A jewel.

If nothing surprising happens in Coldan's absence, he'll be back in about ten minutes to report there is indeed a back door; it's locked, but that shouldn't be a problem.
(The clouds are obviously only there to prevent Asta's fireworks from burning down the house in an emergency; if they're not needed, they'll just pass on and shed their load later on Emyn Muil or wherever.)

PS. - Poor Cirdacil! And <3 King Elessar.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #614
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
filled. King Elessar talks in riddles (and incidentally, I confirm Sador's real name)
Your Elessar talks just like he would if Tolkien wrote that.

Kudos to Collie, Asta, and Harry! I love the rising action!

I'm still around, even though I didn't post for a whie. Thiliel is up for grabs () if anyone wants... Rollan, Sereth? If she turned around doesn't mean that she left.

Boro, do you have any thoughts about what Branor was doing all day? We can't really write for him unless we know what you want it to be.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #615
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

It seems to me it would be only traditional (Shakwise) for Coldan to overhear, somehow, some part of what Sador said to Aerwen in the garden...preferably a section open to maximum misconstruction...
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #616
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

by the way this is the Burlach coat of arms (nicked off the ur-Burlach Cecil family...)

so that's what the servants not in swan livery will have; basically lots of little black and white lions...
Old 06-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #617
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Since Sador has given Aldarion a chance to have a brief chat with Gloredhel, I'm going to have the two of them go outside or near a window or something like that where Coldan or Asta or someone can give Aldarion some sort of "psst! Aldarion! what are you doing here?!" through the bushes or whatnot, and then Aldarion will respond and you can decide how they react. Sound okay?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #618
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay! Post is up. Anyone wishing to spot Aldarion and flag him down- go ahead before he ends up back inside.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #619
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Since Sador has given Aldarion a chance to have a brief chat with Gloredhel, I'm going to have the two of them go outside or near a window or something like that where Coldan or Asta or someone can give Aldarion some sort of "psst! Aldarion! what are you doing here?!" through the bushes or whatnot, and then Aldarion will respond and you can decide how they react. Sound okay?
And ruin our fun in breaking in before we find him? But why not, I'll give it a thought (unless Nerwen wants Asta to stumble into Aldy's and Glordhy's little tęte-ŕ-tęte, which could be delightful).

But if you'd like Coldan to find you, do you think you or Ang could provide me with a very rough plan of Ecsichil's house and premises as you imagine them? I tried to piece it together from your post, but somehow my visualization fails me, and I'd rather not make Coldan walk through walls or get lost in non-Euclidean geometry if I can help it.

Oh, and it's a nice change to see Aldarion happy and light-hearted, if only briefly.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #620
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP on the game thread
"His highness's pants have been removed by parties unknown. Please inform a palace guard if you know anything of this outrageous crime."
Outrageous indeed!!! Fantastic!

Edit: I thought it would be helpful to have a visual representation of the Burlachs, based on Ang's post here. I think it's legible - as much as anything done on Paint could be.

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/...FamilyTree.jpg

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-08-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #621
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
do you think you or Ang could provide me with a very rough plan of Ecsichil's house and premises as you imagine them?
Yes- good idea. Ang- you have final say, so feel free to undo anything I put forth.

I read that someone had mentioned a wall in their post, so I envisioned a wall (perhaps 8 feet?) going around the perimeter. There's a gap/gate at the front and a drive up towards the house. As one approaches the house wings extend towards the front on either side of the drive (with some amount of space between the drive and the wing). The wings come very nearly up to the wall allowing room for a narrow path between them.

The path that Gloredhel and Aldarion took would've been the one wrapping around the left wing (left as one looks from the street towards the house). So they went along the wing towards the road, turned right between the outer wall and the end of the wing, then right again at the corner of the wing where the outer wall also turns. At that point they are walking in the same direction as one would walk from the street to the front door.

When exactly they encounter the gate to the garden is open to debate. Is the garden a small indentation in the left wing, or does it cut flat across the rear of the house?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #622
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thanks, phantom, that's very helpful. Turns out I wasn't quite so confused as I thought - main thing I was unsure of is the garden in relation to the wings, but so are you, it seems.

The bad news is, I like the idea of having Coldan eavesdrop on somebody or the other and/or contacting Aldarion, but I somehow can't quite wrap my head around how or what to write tonight, and it's getting too late over here. I could do it tomorrow, but I don't want to hold you up if you feel like writing more tonight, or leave you folks in the house and my comrades in crime with a SAVE of uncertain content. Just go ahead if you want to, and we'll see what happens - or if you think you can do a decent Coldan impression, phantom, and feel like writing that interchange yourself from Aldarion's pov, you have my blessing.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #623
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

all looks great to me. I'm having or beginning to have a dissertation burn down (as Mith said this game is sooo a postgraduate degree by any other name) and I hope the cackling villain speech I did last is q interesting and clarifying, so I probably won't post...all that fast. Late tomorrow?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #624
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

It's fine- I won't have time to write tonight anyway. I'll possibly have a window tomorrow afternoon, but nothing for certain until late in the evening. I can wait. It's not as if there isn't another BDs project in the works that requires my attention.

*wink wink* (the annual summer tradition is coming soon!)

edit: post 5000
Old 06-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #625
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Here and writing. And congratulations!

EDIT: So, more or less like this? (That's what I'll work with in my post, corrections can be made later. The compass points are very much arbitrary, but I feel the garden should look south, so left wing = east, right wing = west for now.)

Last edited by Pitchwife; 06-09-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #626
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

brilliant Pitchwife you did something for which I was far too lazy/incompetent and it's perfect. The Burlach architect was obviously a Dorwinian

The 'door' leading onto the terrace is in fact a 'Fornost' (read French) window
Old 06-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #627
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
brilliant Pitchwife you did something for which I was far too lazy/incompetent and it's perfect. The Burlach architect was obviously a Dorwinian

The 'door' leading onto the terrace is in fact a 'Fornost' (read French) window
Glad you like it (and thank phantom for his description)! Oh, and I thought Fornost = north = gothic!

EDIT: There you are, phantom. Sorry for the length, but that was quite a lot to cover in one post.
I'm leaving whatever Aldarion and Coldan have to say to each other to you, but I think we should keep it short - there are people waiting outside. (Maybe even some kind of interruption from outside would be in order?)

Last edited by Pitchwife; 06-09-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #628
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Sorry, Pitch, I couldn't resist with the Easterlings!

Mnemo, I didn't write about Thiliel's meeting with Brinn, because I wasn't sure how you wanted her to react to the intrusion. If you want, you can use Thiliel, or we could write the dialogue via PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #629
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Sorry, Pitch, I couldn't resist with the Easterlings!
"I! AM! NO! &%@§&?($?´€§#§! EASTERLINGGGNRRGGLBMFZ!"

... or in other words, I'm highly amused.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #630
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
... or in other words, I'm highly amused.
I'm glad you like it! I considered holding this conversation when Coldan would be around (the next day, most likely), so that he could overhear it, but I thought that would be too much.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #631
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ang, if you'll give me a cue when midnight approaches I'll send Vëandur on his way to the rendezvous.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #632
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

All right, Pitch- Coldan's turn to speak. We may have to make quite a few short posts to put this conversation together, but I kind of like it that way.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #633
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
G55, thanks for the cue. I'll have a post for Brinn up tonight, deo volente.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #634
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Today I saw a car with a license plate ASTA108. Just thought I'd say that.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #635
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Finally up, and too short for my liking, but I didn't want to take liberties. Ball's in your court, Galadriel.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #636
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Inziladun, I know it's annoying being penned in the wings, so I will think of an excuse for Cirdacil - who has already been quite disturbed by the royal visit - to disrupt his timetable further still...I'll post this scene today. Another "extra" scene, I like it when C. develops spontaneously...
Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #637
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
*is curious* anything to do with the mysterious old man they met earlier?
Yes, actually.

I remain alive, by a thread. Life is eating me. However I still take pride in the fact that I wrote Therian's departure in a way that accounted for whatever ridiculousness came up. My goal is to be functionally active again after this weekend, at which point Therian shall be stumbling back with not a single idea what's happened without him, but he'll be extremely excited about what he's discovered about Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #638
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Right, Ang. V is ready for whoever's come calling.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #639
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
So, Asta's had her fireworks now. I'd say the explosion follows the dinner-gong by no more than a few minutes.

(I'm assuming here that Coldan didn't leave through the back gate.)

And yes, I know this goes against the idea that we should wait for Cirdacil and V., but the way the conversation between Coldan and Aldarion went, I thought it was important that he have no chance to report back to the other two.

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-15-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #640
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Okay, so I've spent the past week... waiting for the day I'd actually leave Boston and begin my close to a week-long drive back to Alberta for the summer.

It's a long story involving a broken-into van, a damaged ignition, and missing parts but 8 days later than planned I'm off tomorrow. If we have any luck, I'll have slept off my "van-leg" in Alberta just in time for toMorrow to dawn and have Amdír reappear "as though nothing ever happened."

In the meantime... I'll see you then.