The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2001, 10:28 PM   #1
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting 'Movie Members'

Just a thought I had while replying to the Wight's downs rating thread... after the movie, I would not be surpised if we had a large flood of new members with no background to Tolkien, just the movie of the Fellowship, and with nothing better to say than 'the movie was great, did you see that battle scene, yeah, Elrond or something' (ect.) Of course, most will wither away quickly, finding themselves out of their depth by several metres; but it will be rather annoying.
What do you think?

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Gwaihir the Windlord ]
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 02:28 AM   #2
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't mind [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I read and reply to the threads that interests me. If there are alot of newcommers, then some of them might have something to offer and others may not. In general I would be happy to see more activity on the BDs and new faces are always welcome [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2001, 07:17 AM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The only concern I might have is a flood of non-Tolkien talk. It will be up to the forum ops to keep conversations guided in the right direction, but I think we're going to be kept pretty busy doing so.
Old 11-25-2001, 04:23 AM   #4
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

Non-Tolkien talk, and Tolkien talk. But the Tolkien talk will be based on the movies; it'll be shaky, even partly wrong and with no background. Don't you think that'll annoy you, Telchar? These aren't ordinary newcomers I'm talking about. This is something totally different.
Old 11-25-2001, 04:25 AM   #5
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

Better add a few [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] 's to that, and a 'be afraid, be very afraid'. Intense or what. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

By the way, the thread is s'posed to be 'Movie Members', not 'Moie Members'...
Old 11-25-2001, 07:29 PM   #6
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Tolkien

I have voiced opinions along this line about people who have just seen the movie showing up. I have no idea what thread it was in. However, we'll probably be able to manage (but we may have to use some of our powers as wights to "remove" some of the really bad ones. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] )

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 01:09 PM   #7
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I, for one, hope that the Downs maintains its congenial and welcoming atmosphere. It is one of the board's most appealing aspects for me. At least a few of our most respected members were originally introduced to Tolkien via (*shock!*) the animated version of The Hobbit. A movie newbie may become a literary Tolkienophile in time, so go easy.

There's a movie forum, where movie talk is the object.

In other forums, I hope that longtime book-lovers will be patient with questions from newbies, and steer them in the direction of the books. There's no reason why both mediums can't be enjoyed.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 04:39 PM   #8
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

I can’t say as I agree with you, Mister U. We’ll find out soon enough, anyway.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:04 PM   #9
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

Seeing as BW and I are the only members that I know of that saw the Hobbit movie before antying else, I think you are mistaken MU, I mean BW respected! BAH!

But I think the Barrowdowns is one of the most scholarly sites, thanks to its members, and I would hate to see that ruined. But I don't think it will be.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 04:35 AM   #10
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

Well, what do you think? Weve certainly had a few, judging by what I've just flipped through.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:25 PM   #11
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Sting

I judge that so far we have profited on the exchange. We have several new members who've been making great contributions in the past weeks and months, both movie newbies and old-time Tolkienophiles who've had their interested renewed by the film's release. The mods have been kept a little extra busy as the Barrow-Wight predicted, but not as much as you might think considering that our membership has nearly tripled since our move here. So far the biggest downsides have been that there are so many interesting threads that I can't find the time to contribute to them all, and that the increased traffic has put a strain on our bandwidth and made posting an occasional adventure in retries.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:08 PM   #12
Elendil
Haunting Spirit

Elendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I shouldn't worry too much, it might be busy now, but it might get less anyway. And I think the site will stay as friendly as it always was.
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 06:11 PM   #13
Fell Shade
Pile O'Bones

Fell Shade has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As a "movie member", I'd just like to say that I loved when they cut off Sauron's fingers, that couldn't have been any better, and I love how they made that weird lady freak out from the ring, but I think they should have cut out that Sam hobbit, I mean, what was his point?

Just kidding. At least now I know what you guys fear. I can use that once I become whatever higher form of undead I am undoubtedly destined for.
Fell Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:04 PM   #14
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Fell you scared me for a second! That made me laugh. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2002, 02:39 AM   #15
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Durelen:
<STRONG>Seeing as BW and I are the only members that I know of that saw the Hobbit movie before antying else, I think you are mistaken MU, I mean BW respected! BAH!

But I think the Barrowdowns is one of the most scholarly sites, thanks to its members, and I would hate to see that ruined. But I don't think it will be.</STRONG>
I think all the other sites are going through the same thing. I'm one of the ones that seen the Bakshi version in the theater way back in the 70's It's nice to know there are others as "young" as myself in here. The thing that impressed me the most about the forums was that the threads always seemed to saty on topic no matter how many pages there were. It's a great site.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:15 PM   #16
Fell Shade
Pile O'Bones

Fell Shade has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I may be newly deceased, but I can still be scary(especially in the morning)!

I'm liking this site so far. It is quite scholarly, well, with the exception of all those people who insist on giving the balrog wings, but what do you expect? There's always a few loose canons(hehe).

If anyone gets bored, I put a story in fan fiction called "Vardagaer the Undiminished". I'd love to hear some of the inconsistencies in it that diverge from Tolkein's vision before I write the next part.

BTW, hello. I put a question in the languages thread, but I forgot to label it as a hello, and so its just echoing in the Moria-like halls of that forum.
Fell Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 10:00 PM   #17
Vitesse
Pile O'Bones

Vitesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I can't deny that the coming of the movie re-kindled my interest in Tolkien's work, but I've read the Hobbit and the LOTR series two or three times now, and I'm about to re-read the Silmarillion, which I haven't touched in over a decade.

I think that most people who've only seen the film* and want to know more will probably read the books. Probably only a small percentage of those who go that far will want to get into literary discussions of the books or learn all there is to know about Middle Earth and it's history, although so much the better if they do.

I usually only post on automotive message boards, and I can tell you that reading and lurking here has been a breath of fresh air in terms of the intellectual capability of the average poster and their interest in the nuances of literature and ability to discuss such things. Somehow I don't see that changing, although I'm new and cannot speak from experience.

* I suppose I should say "films" really, if you count the Bakshi and Bass/Rankin films.
Vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 10:16 PM   #18
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Thumbs up

Welcome to the Downs, Vitesse! "Minas New Yorkith". I like you already! I look forward to reading your views on all things Tolkien.

You see, Gwaihir? "If you build it, they will come." [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2002, 12:07 PM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here I am, a new "movie" member. Hey, guys, I only found out about this website through YIL's LOTR website info. I first read the books 29 years ago (ha, try to top that!) and have reread them often, but without the public hype about the movie, how was I to realize that there's such a cool place to meet other fans?! So here's to the enrichment the movies bring to the books and peaceful coexistence in Middle Earth!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 04:21 AM   #20
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Sting

You know, movie members can become bookreaders too you know. I first got here as a movie member. I knew the names already due to a puzzle, but that was it. I scouted around and look what I found out: The movie was made from a book! So I read it, and fell in love. No, you should give the newcomers a chance before you shoot them down, they can become interesting posters. (not talking for myself [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

Suilad,

Anuion
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 08:34 AM   #21
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was new once, and I was excitedly anticipating the release of a movie called "Fellowship Of The Ring". I hadn't read the books, I knew nothing of the background or movie except that a cute guy called Orlando was playing the elf Legolas. But I came here, stayed here, and learned an awful lot. I may not be an interesting member, nor do I contribute anything worthwhile, but I show that this place can contribute a lot to a person's learning of Tolkien.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:17 PM   #22
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I am a "Movie Member" too, even though I sometimes try to deny it. Though immediately after I saw FOTR I started reading the book, and I did not join the B-D's until I thought that I knew enough (actually after TTT had came out and I had read LOTR 3 times).

I don't mind movie members, at first. I just want them to eventually go and read the books.

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 06-15-2003, 01:54 AM   #23
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Well, I'm not exactly sure if I'm what you call a "movie member." I read the books before I saw the movie, but I read the book because of the movie.

I don't think being a movie member is a bad thing. I'm glad to see the movie has sparked so many interests for LOTR and other works by Tolkien. I was surprised to see so many students in my school I'd consider as non-readers carrying around LOTR and The Hobbit to their classes after the first movie came out.

A movie member can also be a real true Tolkien fan. Here is how I believe a movie member may sometimes grow:

A fan of the movie will wander over to the Barrow-Downs out of curiousity and register. After reading several threads in forums like Novices and Newcomers, the new member will become interested enough about LOTR and Tolkien to read the books. If that member enjoys the books as much as they enjoyed the movie, their love for Tolkien and fantasy will grow and they will become inspired enough to become involved in RPGs and in-depth discussions. And there you go: a new Tolkien fan has just been born.

I don't mind members here who haven't read the books. In fact, I admire them in a way. I don't think I could've lasted at the BD a week if I had not read LOTR or The Hobbit before registering.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 02:22 AM   #24
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Quote:
A fan of the movie will wander over to the Barrow-Downs out of curiousity and register. After reading several threads in forums like Novices and Newcomers, the new member will become interested enough about LOTR and Tolkien to read the books. If that member enjoys the books as much as they enjoyed the movie, their love for Tolkien and fantasy will grow and they will become inspired enough to become involved in RPGs and in-depth discussions. And there you go: a new Tolkien fan has just been born.
Would you please stop writing my Biography, that thing is copywright protected.

But it is exactly how it goes. The downs has many things you can accidently bump into while scouting the net. I never found another Tolkien forum. It's just that the downs has so many things besides the forum, like the generator, elfish fonts palentír, malbeth etc. It just draws people faster than just a forum.

Suilad,

Anuion
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 04:49 AM   #25
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

The only thing that's really confusing for me is that there are at least 3 users who have registered after me, but have a lower member number than I have. Can anyone explain that to me please?

And as for the original subject here, I don't mind having "movie members" here, as long as they don't reduce anything to the movies and start to read the books. Because, a friend of mine (he's 24 now), has never read a book in his whole life, and after seeing the movies he has started to read LotR. There's some hope out there!!

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 07:28 AM   #26
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I actually think there are a lot of us here who are "movie members," even if we read the book five times before we came to this site. I've been reading Tolkien for some thirty-five years! But I highly doubt I would have looked for or found this forum without the publicity generated by the movies.

So, as much as I occasionally rant and rave about how PJ might have done things differently, I owe him a debt.

sharon
Old 06-15-2003, 08:11 AM   #27
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So true! The movies gave me a wonderful "jumpstart"! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2003, 10:46 AM   #28
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Well, I'm not exactly sure if I'm what you call a "movie member." I read the books before I saw the movie, but I read the book because of the movie.
Exactly the same here. I read the books AFTER I saw the trailer, although my Mumj told me to read them for about 5 years before. Anyay it's perfectly possible to have detailed, in depth discussions purely on the film. They are just different! I started off a screaming-Orli-fan (well kind of) and now I have a PT. If that's not a "movie member" made good then I don't know what is!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 04:31 PM   #29
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Not only am I a movie member I am also an...Orlando Bloom fan.

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2003, 11:39 PM   #30
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yeah, i am guilty of that, i had not read the books before i saw the movie, when i came here... But i have now and i love talking about the books as well...

I am also an Orlando Bloom fan... man, we are getting stereotyped arent we? lol!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:16 AM   #31
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Child here, I was a fan of the books before the movies but I would never have thought I would even bother looking up Tolkien sights on the internet nevermind joining a forum if it wasn't for the movies. It got me more involved in Middle Earth and I am very happy that PJ did make the movies (even though he did change a few things...)

Don't worry Lush and Everdawn, I too am a Orlie fan [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2003, 09:37 PM   #32
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Ah, I knew of this site long before the movies, though I didn't become a member until recently. I think it's nice to look back on Gwahir's prophecy and hope that it comes true. Of course, I'm sure it will, because once the films are gone, there will be nothing left for the moviers to talk about that won't be immediately cut off (i.e. Orlie in Pirates of the Carribbean). Hopefully, by then we will also have accumalated a large number of moviegoers that have read the books and are now fans of Tolkien, rather than Jackson.

Iarwain

P.S. Irrelavent, I know, but to all that have noticed, I am living proof that compliments drive one to improve oneself.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:57 AM   #33
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Wow, a thread with one of my very first posts on the Downs - the day I registered here (after just reading for several days). In the meantime, this is my online home and the discussions here have prompted me to read the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, most of the minor works and to begin reading the HoME, as well as various secondary literature on Tolkien and his works. I have enjoyed and learned and made friends and - oh yes, I am looking forward to the third movie as well...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote