The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #41
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

There is a small wooded area that is located behind where I live and I see and associate it very much with the Shire. No matter what I can walk back through those woods and everything washes away and I am at peace, and comfortable.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:02 AM   #42
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
My son sees it too...

For Father's Day, I received another homemade T-shirt, and was more pleased with that than a plasma screen TV. These homemade shirts, I must also note, are much better than ties, which rarely see the light of day. Anyway, this shirt, like some in the past, has the kids' (and dog's) handprints next to each child's name in bright colors on the back. My wife, who supervises the project, says that the kids really enjoy getting to cover their hands with paint and not getting in trouble for making a big gooey handprint on something.

Anyway, this shirt was a little different. My son took it upon himself to decorate the front with a hand drawn picture. How he describes it, when I asked, is that it's me there in the yellow, on a brown bridge, throwing a black sword at a dragon who flies over a lake. Not sure where he got the inspiration, as I know of no cartoon or movie that may have contained the same images. I did, however, since he was a small child, give him the short version of the Hobbit before he'd fall asleep at night...

Anyone else see Bard and Smaug?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smaug.jpg (57.7 KB, 1247 views)
Old 06-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #43
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Appropriately, there are some nice hills around the Parbold area (where I live) that were, a while back, covered in mist and fog. My first thought? "Hmm its misty." But my second was far more interesting, "WOW! Fog on the Barrow Downs!"
I would have taken pictures but I didn't have one to hand at the time. But ever I will wait for the time of the misting upon the hills!

Also, there is a restaurant in the near by town of Wigan, called, "The Morgul Tandori" I wonder what kind of food you get there? Orc burgers?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #44
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Appropriately, there are some nice hills around the Parbold area (where I live) that were, a while back, covered in mist and fog. My first thought? "Hmm its misty." But my second was far more interesting, "WOW! Fog on the Barrow Downs!"
I would have taken pictures but I didn't have one to hand at the time. But ever I will wait for the time of the misting upon the hills!

Also, there is a restaurant in the near by town of Wigan, called, "The Morgul Tandori" I wonder what kind of food you get there? Orc burgers?
In Wigan? Meat & Tater Pie Vindaloo, no doubt.

Just be careful not to go on Croston Moss at night when it's foggy because that's when the White Lady goes a-walking and she's an omen of doom!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #45
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Finally the weather is beginning to stabilize. Sure, the temperature has changed 50 degrees Fahrenheit in one day, but you take what you get, and the trend is lending to warmth and even somewhat dry (or less wet). Anyway, so this weekend I took the kids for a hike, our first one of the season, and for some reason Tolkien was on the mind.

With four small kids, it was if I were Aragorn with the four hobbits, size-wise (though I always tend to think more of myself as Gandalf). A ways into the woods a little stream fed an even smaller waterfall, yet the sound was pleasant, and I was reminded of the FotR and Nimrodel. We walked up a hill after hopping two muddy streams (no, I was not reminded of PJ's bridge scene), and after a small rest at the top (hills are mountains to little legs), we found a BMX track that some teenagers (teenagers can at times be like orcs) constructed within the wood.

They must have spent many hours making the sharp "^-shaped" mounds, and they made a circuit that my kids thought of as one big dirt obstacle course. Again, being taller, I could hop from ^-top to ^-top, and then it came to me that this is how Tom must feel, sans yellow boots. Within the circuit was a burnt trunk of a hollowed tree, and it may have been able to house one to two of my kids.

Waiting for the kids to assemble that we might begin our journey home, I looked down below where I stood into a scooped out hollow and there were four white barked trees, not together, but near each other. I couldn't decide whether they were ents or scions of Celeborn.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 AM   #46
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
There's a lot of places in South-west Victoria that I think look rather Middle-earth-ish. Here's a couple.

One of these is the view from a hill near my family's house. I forget exactly where the other was taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiger Lane.jpg (49.7 KB, 1171 views)
File Type: jpg Red cliff.jpg (73.8 KB, 1202 views)
Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 AM   #47
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"dreamtime place, a spirit's glad release"

*sighs* part of my heart will belong in Victoria forever ......

The great ocean road could be part of ME's coastline surely .. and I remember being taking to Gippsland and finding it looked very "familiar".

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-23-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #48
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
The great ocean road could be part of ME's coastline surely.
I've always thought so– and now I've actually managed to find some seascapes that don't have me in front of them (my mother's the family photographer, and, well, she thinks a lot of me...)

These places have definitely influenced the way I picture Middle-earth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cape patton.jpg (40.2 KB, 1177 views)
File Type: jpg Castle cove.jpg (33.3 KB, 1167 views)
File Type: jpg Johanna.jpg (41.3 KB, 1214 views)
Old 04-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #49
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
That last photo of the coastline reminds me of a coast in Odsherrede (herred(e) being the Danish version of (The)Shire), unfortunately I did not have my camera with me when i was there last time. . . and the sky was ever so enchanting !

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #50
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
I live close to the quiet fields and little rivers of The Shire on one side and to Mordor on the other.

My home area once had very dirty industies: coal and iron mining, iron smelting and steel making, pottery and brick manufacture. The mining and iron works have now gone and the ceramics industry uses cleaner energy for its kilns.
The desolation caused by pollution and coal waste and slag heaps is begining to green over, sometimes naturally and sometimes with the help of mankind. It will be many, many years before the clean-up is finished but I like to think of my home town as Mordor recovering after the fall of Barad Dur.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #51
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I've always thought so– and now I've actually managed to find some seascapes that don't have me in front of them (my mother's the family photographer, and, well, she thinks a lot of me...)

These places have definitely influenced the way I picture Middle-earth.
Langstrand on the Gondor coast I'd say - I think Lindon needs the Celtic bluish greh stone of Brittany or Cornwall ... hmm must see if I can scan some pictures in - I am still using film and besides when I was in Aus the first time there was no alternative...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #52
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Since none of those who took the pictures have posted...

When Brinniel was in Finland a couple of weeks ago, we showed her around Helsinki, and to our surprise discovered also new things about places we have known for long. The following pictures were taken by Volo in Suomenlinna, a sea fortress just off Helsinki.

The Barrow-downs
The Barrow-Downs II
The Dead Marshes
Orc-tunnels in the Misty Mountains (originally we thought them to be Moria, but then I was luckily helped to realise that they're most definitely not made by dwarves)
Orc-tunnels in the Misty Mountains II
Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #53
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I think that "the Barrow-Downs II" could also be abandoned (movie-style) hobbit holes.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #54
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Orc-tunnels in the Misty Mountains (originally we thought them to be Moria, but then I was luckily helped to realise that they're most definitely not made by dwarves)
Nah, dwarves never build such feeble things. Seriously, these pictures are amazing!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #55
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
When Brinniel was in Finland a couple of weeks ago, we showed her around Helsinki, and to our surprise discovered also new things about places we have known for long. The following pictures were taken by Volo in Suomenlinna, a sea fortress just off Helsinki.

The Barrow-downs
The Barrow-Downs II
Those pictures of barrows stir my imagination. They suggest that a hobbit hole was surprisingly and interestingly not necessarily very different from barrows. Both are holes in the ground.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:01 AM   #56
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
And note that these Finnish barrows are seaside barrows. If you have to spend centuries in a tomb, why not have a sea view?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #57
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The second barrow picture does have similarity with abandoned Hobbit holes! Here's a photo to compare: movie Hobbiton site in Matamata, NZ
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:30 AM   #58
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Indeed.

So are they barrows or hobbit-holes? Maybe we need a poll.

Very cool pictures anyway, Agan!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #59
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots location, location, location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And note that these Finnish barrows are seaside barrows. If you have to spend centuries in a tomb, why not have a sea view?
Does that view come with visits from Ulmo?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #60
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
...there are a few Tolkienists out there who've influenced names, etc - kinda like (Pittsburgh) Steeler fans who live in LA.
I'm curious about the reference to orcs, oops, Steeler fans in LA and their similarity with Tolkienists.

Cleveland Brown
Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #61
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghazi View Post
I'm curious about the reference to orcs, oops, Steeler fans in LA and their similarity with Tolkienists.

Cleveland Brown
That's probably better handled via PM, but for the rest of the world, think that most would consider both Cleveland and Pittsburgh suburbs of Mordor (but at least we have a real football team ).
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #62
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, last year I went to this place called Puzzle Wood, and it reminded of certain areas:

The Old Forest
The Old Forest 2
The Old Forest 3

Mirkwood
Old 07-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #63
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
My own Misty Mountains

Ok, so when I read The Hobbit the first time in Romanian I was still living in Romania in my home town of Brasov. Perhaps some of you know of it, it is after all one of the most important cities of the country. Anyways, close to the city (about 40 km) there is a wonderful mountainous region called Piatra Craiului (King's Stone) and immediately after I visited it I not only fell in love with the region, but also imagined that is how the Misty Mountains might look like.
To give you an idea of what I am talking about, here are pictures of the area on the site of the region: http://www.pcrai.ro/engleza/fotografii.html

Actually, now that I took a good look at some of those pics, I've become quite melancholic and I miss seeing them in the distance. Anyway, if you ever happen to pass by (you can also find route info on that site), do make sure to check that out!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #64
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Local Barrow

Hi all,

Might, those are beautiful photos of the Romanian Misty Mountains!

Here's my local Barrow (near where I grew up not where I live now). Though it does have a bit of 'abandoned Hobbit hole' about it too,

http://www.jharding.demon.co.uk/inde...k/tinkwood.htm
Old 07-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #65
Feanathiel
Newly Deceased

Feanathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
I live in a small town/rural area myself. On the way to my university, I pass through another small town which reminds me of a present day Shire. There are still fields within the city limits; the houses are nothing extravagant. There are plenty of goats about. Most of the yards have at least a small garden. There are no business buildings, grocery stores, or gas stations to speak of - only a church and a post office. I've been meaning to photograph it.

reminds me a little of a town near my university. every time I drive around it all I can see is the Shire. I've actually been so compelled as to pull over and just walk through some fields simply for the joy of it
Old 07-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #66
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
There is a lake next to my neighborhood and it has Middle-earthian qualities in the park. My little brother walked around it with backpacks and walking sticks barefooted last summer, we go some strange looks, we also quoted half of FotR...

Some of it looks like the Old Forest, other parts of it look rather like Lorien and some of it is very Shire-like. Plus it has one of the colleges in Anchorage right next to it, so it is kind of Long Lakeish, and the Chugach mountains in the distance, which sometimes can look very much like the Misty Mountains in the winter when there is snow.

Alaska can be very Middle-earthish sometimes...
Old 07-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #67
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, I live in Michigan. I know what you're saying: "Morth, what does Michigan have to do with Middle-earth (save for Detroit being the quintessential real-world epitome of Angband)?"

Actually, if you divorce yourself from the Mordor-like industrial mega-complex of southeast Michigan, the rest of the state is quite pastoral. For the geographically disinclined, the state of Michigan is broken up into two penninsulas, both surrounded by the Great Lakes (which would be freshwater 'seas' anywhere else in the world). If one goes to the Upper Penninsula, there is a bit of Middle-earth in a place called Tahquamenon (mentioned in Longfellow's epic poem 'Hiawatha'), and more specifically the Falls...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:T...non_Falls1.JPG

The water of the falls is stained brown from the amount of tannin from oak leaves (so it is rather like tea). The falls froths white at the bottom, so one gets the visual effect of the gods pouring root beer. It puts me in mind of the Baranduin (or Brandywine) River, which I'd always assumed was like in coloration (Baranduin was Sindarin for "golden-brown river").

In winter:
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/tahqua/falls4a.gif

The 'Brandywine' color:
http://www.superiorsights.com/pictur...s/21010023.jpg

Last edited by Morthoron; 07-15-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #68
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
This sounds like Copper Falls in northern Wisconsin (where the water is that reddish brown from the iron in it). www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/copper.shtml I suspect they may be part of the same larger geological system. It's been a LONG time since I visited the falls, but that part of the state and its forests always made me think of "This is the forest primeval." One could almost imagine an Ent or three among the trees and streams.

I live considerably farther south in Wisconsin, near the farms and rolling hills (and pastures and cheesemakers, of course ), which have made me think of the Shire since I first read LotR some... oh, 44 years ago. But no pictures, alas. Perhaps I should take a few en route to my birthday vacation this weekend.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:34 AM   #69
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Recently I walked parts of the Camino de Santiago, and old Pilgrim route in Northern Spain. We started in St. Jean Pied De Port in France and often I felt I was trotting along in Middle Earth.

(Sorry if the images are a bit large)

Rivendell (St. Jean Pied De Port):

Rohan (Crossing the Pyrenees):

The Barrow-Downs (Crossing the Pyrenees):
Old 09-03-2008, 03:36 AM   #70
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
More Images:

The Old Forest (Crossing the Pyrenees):

The Hobbit similarity is purely incidental. That's a fully grown man with a poncho and a backpack.

Minas Tirith (12th century monastery in Estella):

The Road Goes Ever On (that's me with the straw hat):

Last edited by skip spence; 09-03-2008 at 05:20 AM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #71
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Veery nice pictures, skip! Although here shows, as always, the difference in imagination among different people, because I wouldn't label the pics like you did, although I'd definitely label them as from Middle-Earth. But: #1 - not Rivendell, but obvious Buckland; #2 - Barrow-Downs, #3 - Hollin (or these barren lands north of it), #4 - some forest near Mitheithel, simply the scene from The Hobbit just before meeting the trolls.

But once again: fabulous!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #72
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Veery nice pictures, skip! Although here shows, as always, the difference in imagination among different people, because I wouldn't label the pics like you did, although I'd definitely label them as from Middle-Earth. But: #1 - not Rivendell, but obvious Buckland; #2 - Barrow-Downs, #3 - Hollin (or these barren lands north of it), #4 - some forest near Mitheithel, simply the scene from The Hobbit just before meeting the trolls.

But once again: fabulous!
Thanks, Legate. When I was in St. Jean Pied de Port I didn't think of ME at all but looking at that picture the first thing that popped up in my head was Rivendell. Of course, Tolkien never described Elrond's abode in any detail neither architechturally or geografically but this is much like my mental image of the place. Buckland? Nah!

Anyway, here's another picture from another recent holiday. Obviously the description isn't dead on here either but I certainly think it's Middle Earth-ish enough.

View of the Grey Havens
: (Edit: I forgot to mention, this is a pic from the island Senya in the north of Norway)

Last edited by skip spence; 09-05-2008 at 08:48 AM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #73
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Well, I live in Michigan. I know what you're saying: "Morth, what does Michigan have to do with Middle-earth (save for Detroit being the quintessential real-world epitome of Angband)?"

Actually, if you divorce yourself from the Mordor-like industrial mega-complex of southeast Michigan,
Hence the location in my sidebar profile...

Actually, I was going to post something about the industrial areas around here. On a foggy night, the Rouge Steel complex in Dearborn looks exactly as I would imagine Utumno or Gorgoroth. It also reminds me of Saruman's Isengard as he girded for war against Rohan.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:19 AM   #74
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Thanks, Legate. When I was in St. Jean Pied de Port I didn't think of ME at all but looking at that picture the first thing that popped up in my head was Rivendell. Of course, Tolkien never described Elrond's abode in any detail neither architechturally or geografically but this is much like my mental image of the place. Buckland? Nah!

Anyway, here's another picture from another recent holiday. Obviously the description isn't dead on here either but I certainly think it's Middle Earth-ish enough.

View of the Gray Havens
:
I like Legate would have placed the labels differently, but this one I think you have spot on.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:36 AM   #75
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
Actually, I was going to post something about the industrial areas around here. On a foggy night, the Rouge Steel complex in Dearborn looks exactly as I would imagine Utumno or Gorgoroth. It also reminds me of Saruman's Isengard as he girded for war against Rohan.
Yes, that is sooo Isengard. Especially, at first glance, the two... whatever... columns... on the right, I thought them to look exactly like Orthanc. On second sight, of course, not, but still, had their division into two (as it is shown on the picture) been somewhere further up, it might look indeed like Orthanc.

And skip, with this one I must agree, too - this is so Grey Havens! Or, maybe eventually some port in the Bay of Belfalas, especially while there were still Elven ships flowing from there.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 09-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #76
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wonderful pictures Skip, truly amazing. That last picture looks very much like I imagined the port city of Pelegir, with the Anduin river curving northward.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #77
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I swear I saw the Shadow of Mordor coming over my school building a couple days ago! Coming over the highway, I knew highways were evil...
Old 09-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #78
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Emley Moor transmitter, AKA Orthanc:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyjs/1149353003/
Old 09-07-2008, 04:59 AM   #79
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
The Emley Moor transmitter, AKA Orthanc:
Wow, definitely - so BIG, compared to the houses below, that it's almost scary... (Well, why almost... it IS scary.)

I have one Orthanc pretty close to where I live, it is smaller, but in a way more Orthanc-ish, I think. Maybe I could take a photo of it and post it here. Also there are some other things I can think of...
Old 09-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #80
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Yesterday while going to church, all of Anchorage was covered in fog, we don't get much fog at all. I swear I was in the Old Forest! It's fall so all of the leaves on the trees are turning yellow and brown plus the trees could honestly come alive any second and drag somebody into a river! It's not very hilly here, just the mountains... I don't suppose you could call the mountains the Barrow-Downs could you?