The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Morgoth Bauglir
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgoth Bauglir has just left Hobbiton.
Artifact question

What is the name of the artifact that, i cant recall it exactly or who it was used by, that let the user heal other people? Was it the evenstar (or whatever that was called)? I seriously cant remember at all, i think i read about it in the silmarillion or unfinished tales. Is there a list of artifacts?
Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I think the artifact you are looking for was The Elessar. It was a green jewel which had healing power, this jewel was made in Gondolin and given to Turgons daughter Idril, she in turn gave it to Earendil. The Elessar that Arwen gave to Aragorn, could have been this jewel, brought out of Aman or it was another jewel altogether.

There was also The Elendilmir, which was a white star of elvish crystal upon a fillet of mithril, that was lost when Isildur fell into the Anduin. Another jewel of the same name was crafted for Valandil in Imladris, and was worn by the Kings of Arnor upon the brow. The first Elendilmir was found after Saruman had vacated Orthanc, and so Aragorn was in posession of the two Elendilmirs and The Elessar. The film has confused these jewels and created a hybrid, or is Arwen (film) supposed to be returning a family heirloom to the descendant of the Kings of Arnor?

Another artifact in the posession of Aragorn was the Ring of Barahir, the same ring Beren held to prove his ancestry to Finrod Felagund.

Last edited by narfforc; 08-19-2006 at 12:11 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
. . . . so Aragorn was in posession of the two Elendilmirs and The Elessar. The film has confused these jewels and created a hybrid, or is Arwen (film) supposed to be returning a family heirloom to the descendant of the Kings of Arnor?

Another artifact in the posession of Aragorn was the Ring of Barahir, the same ring Beren held to prove his ancestry to Finrod Felagund.
Of course, I could be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that Arwen was the family heirloom and so was another artifact of Aragorn.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yes I agree, to reunite those seperate lines descended of Luthiens heirs, Arwen is the only choice as a heirloom in a round about sort of way.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
It was a green jewel which had healing power, this jewel was made in Gondolin and given to Turgons daughter Idril, she in turn gave it to Earendil. The Elessar that Arwen gave to Aragorn, could have been this jewel, brought out of Aman or it was another jewel altogether.
Unfinished Tales presents us with two variants of the story; in one, there is only one Elessar all the way; it reached Aman through Earendil and returned to Galadriel through Gandalf, as a sign that "the eyes of the valar are not dimmed and their hearts are not hardened". I very much like this variant. The second one presents Celebrimbor as making a second Elessar (less powerful than the first, because it imprisons the light of a less powerful sun, due to the marring of Melkor); this one is made by him out of his love of Galadriel (??).
Raynor is offline   Reply With Quote