The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
Elf @ Heart

Eye can dead orcs move?

Near the end of FotR, when Boromir had just been shot and left for dead, Aragorn ran over to him. Befor he got there, he jumped over this dead orc, and the dead ocr lifted it's head up and propped itself up on it's elbows! did anyone else notice this or am i just going crazy?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
That's what the film industry intelligenstia refer to as a "slip up."
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:01 AM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Noticed that during my 5th viewing of FOTR about 2 years ago (was it really that long ago, or am I going crazy?). No, I doubt that dead orcs move, but in this instance it was most definitely just a slip up. When I first saw that I couldn't believe my eyes, and I had a very difficult time keeping myself from laughing in the theater
Old 06-26-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, perhaps he was not quite dead yet, & he used his last bit of strength to prop himself up on his elbows (or lift his head, whichever it was). Just to play the devil's advocate .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 04:19 PM   #5
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Perhaps something was still sticking in his central nervous system?
Old 06-26-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
ashnak

can dead orks move?

you guys are amasing i thought i was obsessed now i'm going to have to watch it again. but as stated it is quite possible that he had something in his nervous system.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Erm...

*cough* That was actually a forlorn attempt at humor, referencing Gimli's comments at the end of the Two Towers (EE) about the orc moving because his axe was in the uruk's central nervous system. *cough*
Old 06-27-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White Tree Yep

I *think* that was an actor moving because he thought the shot was done. (Or perhaps Viggo accidentally hurt the poor Uruk by stepping on him) But I think the uruk could very easily have been too hurt to do any further harm, but not dead enough to be motionless.

I always thought the line Gimli gave was actually nonsensical.

"He's twitching 'cause he's got mah axe imbedded in his nervous system!"

(Suggested continuation of dialogue)

"Uh, Gimli? What's a nervous system?"

"I have no idea."

I mean, come on! Do they have Elvish disection tables? Numenorian scientists that have come up with nervous system titles just like us? It was funny, but it didn't make much sense.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:27 PM   #9
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
he's not dead, he's pining for the fjords!

just something for all you Python fans out there.

Cheers!

Elrond's (other) daugher
Old 06-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #10
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Silmaril

*gets up on soapbox*

Quote:
I always thought the line Gimli gave was actually nonsensical.
I'm inclined to agree with you. However, that makes it in keeping with the rest of the movie which was almost entirely nonsensical. And furthermore...

(Hook appears from stage right...)

...I'd also like to say that...*hoick* SWISH

Kuruharan abruptly vanishes from sight.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:20 PM   #11
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
It must have been a slip up, the actor probably didnt realize the camera was still on him,so he started to get up. The editors must have missed it, I definitly did, im for sure keeping an eye open next time I watch it.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:20 PM   #12
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
I *think* that was an actor moving because he thought the shot was done.
I'm sure that's the actual reason, just one of the mistakes there are in the movies.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:33 PM   #13
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
It may well have been a strange sort of orkish rigor mortis.

Estel, you've changed your avatar! All is lost.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:19 PM   #14
Audreidi
Pile O'Bones

Location: I'm not sure anymore, on account of my being dead and all.
Audreidi has just left Hobbiton.
Hhmmmm...although, there might be those dwarfish scientists who are so inclined to take cadavers from the roadside as did dearest Leonardo, and perform a dissection for self-educational purposes.

Stranger things have happened.

Heh... Monty Python.

Quote:
DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!

CUSTOMER: No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.

CART MASTER: Oh, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.

DEAD PERSON: I don't want to go on the cart!

CUSTOMER: Oh, don't be such a baby.

--Audreidi & Jandalf, proud members and Twins of Optometry for the Society of Nearsighted Elves
Audreidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:53 PM   #15
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Well I suppose dead orcs can move....???......Especially if you have your axe embedded in a dead Uruk-hai's nervous system and are sittin' pretty on number 43 while the Elf has 42. As a fellow actor it's hard to contain yourself sometimes when you're performing. That's where ad-libbing comes from. Maybe.....he thought his "dead orc" wasn't really dead and wanted to check and see if the coast was clear to get his Aragorn-beaten-butt out of there!

Last edited by ninlaith; 07-13-2004 at 01:58 PM.
ninlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:28 PM   #16
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Elrond's Daughter, you rock. I was actually thinking about that when reading this thread... "Well, er...I'm not quite dead."

And yesh, Gimli's line was dumb. Amusing but OOC.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:31 PM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Many slip ups

Through these movies there were many "slip ups." At the council, snot comes out of Gimli's nose, in TTT, one minute Gimli's axe has blood on it, next shot it doesn't. In ROTK, Frodo was covered in webs going through Shelob's tunnel, then isn't then is again when the scene with him imagining Galadriel, those are just some of the ones. They actually hire people to watch for these things in the movies they I believe are called "consistancy technicians" or something like that, to watch for "inconsistancies." The guy hired for LOTR is now probably a bum on the street.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #18
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
My favourite slip in all of the movies comes in TTT: when Eomer mounts his horse after confronting Aragorn, Leggie and Gimli, his sword falls out of its scabbard.

Quel horseman!

EDIT The person whose job it is to catch these things is called a Continuity Editor. I have always wanted that job. . .
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:48 PM   #19
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

I think they should hold a contest from viewers at movie-mistakes.com, and pick like the top fifty submitters for those jobs.

There's loads more mistakes like that, and some of them I still can't help but notice. The sword falling out is one. How did Karl Urban keep acting with that happening? I mean, look out below, Viggo! Watch your toe!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 07-25-2004, 10:21 AM   #20
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
After many times of watching the FOTR I had a feeling something wasn't right at a certain part in the movie. Then I just caught it. The part where Pip, Merry, Sam, and Frodo first set out with Strider Frodo asks "Where are you taking us?" and Strider replied "Into the wild!" Right after he finished his sentence his quiver hit the camera. I never noticed that until the last time I watched it. It's really hard to catch because they cut to the next shot right when his quiver connected. It's funny how many times you can watch a movie until you notice the mistakes.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:20 PM   #21
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

in gimli voice: "he was moving because he had the elf's arrow lodge in his central nervous system!!" but really you could call it a last effort twitch for life
Old 08-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #22
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

For continuity mistakes, I always liked the leaf-direction changes on the Elven cloaks when the Three Hunters are wandering around Fangorn. I'd never noticed the others, but I'm thinking a quick observation (courtesy of scene selection) might just be in order.

Fea
Old 06-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #23
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Probably one of those "Look mom! I'm on TV!" things.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #24
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I heard this too. Apparently some other mistakes included a car that drove by while the 9 walkers were... walking... and an airplane that flew overhead just before everyone noticed the crabbai. A close friend of mine noticed both with her dad, but they were apparently edited out for the DVD's. I guess they couldn't edit out the zombie orc with out hurting the flow of the scene.

Also- consider the time frame in which the movies were shot and then released- I'm sure that in at least FOTR, the editors didn't have enough time to do a thorough job. And shooting was over by the time the editors got it anyways, so it's not like they can just redo the scene. Sometimes they have no choice but to leave things in.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 06-10-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #25
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
It looked to me and my brother like there were two dead orcs moving, or maybe even three, but I'll have to watch the scene again before I can make a definitive statement.

I don't think I've ever heard of an airplane flying over during filming, but there is documentation of a car in a scene from FOTR. Here's the full story (from amazon.com):

On the film's first theatrical release, a story circulated (and was reported in the goofs section) that when Sam tells Frodo that he is now the farthest he has ever been from home, a car is visible driving by in the background (top-right corner of the screen). Arguments ensued. Some said it was smoke from a chimney, others said they saw the glint of sunlight reflected from the windscreen of a fast moving vehicle. In the version of the film released on DVD there is definitely *no* car, only chimney smoke and a one-frame flash of light which *could* conceivably be a car, but not in any sense that could be considered a goof. Jackson says (in the commentary track on the Extended DVD) that he looked at every frame on a computer and has never seen anything resembling a car and claims that it's nonsense (and certainly the original sighting remains unconfirmed by IMDb goof spotters). In the documentary of extended DVD version, John Gilbert, the editor, says that there was a car in the background, but they thought no-one would notice it. They got rid of it in the DVD version. In a subsequent magazine interview, Jackson agreed that the car was there.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:40 AM   #26
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
EDIT The person whose job it is to catch these things is called a Continuity Editor. I have always wanted that job. . .
I'd hate to have that job for something as big as Lord of the Rings. There'd be so much to remember! It's a miracle that there's only a few dead orcs wandering around, as opposed to hundreds.
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #27
Lothíriel Éadig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf @ Heart
Near the end of FotR, when Boromir had just been shot and left for dead, Aragorn ran over to him. Befor he got there, he jumped over this dead orc, and the dead ocr lifted it's head up and propped itself up on it's elbows! did anyone else notice this or am i just going crazy?
I saw that...the orc maybe was dead, or was close to dying
Old 09-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #28
Alcarin
Pile O'Bones

Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
I KNOW! Maybe it was an actor in an orc suit who made a mistake in the movie!
Just guessing!
“By the Way of the warrior is meant death. The Way of the warrior is death. This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this. It means to see things through, being resolved.”
Alcarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #29
OrcLeaderalpha

Sting

I guess he wasnt quite dead. orcs are just as mortal as anyone else.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:34 PM   #30
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It was a Star Wars homage, of course! In The Empire Strikes Back, a recently Force-choked Captain Needa is clearly seen helping two guards carry him away by partially getting up himself. I'm just glad that PJ decided to leave this mysterious Captain Needa Orc in the final version!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #31
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think that was a slip up and besides if the orc is dead, its dead.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #32
Celegost
Pile O'Bones

Celegost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celegost
Shield

Has anyone actually considered that the orc might not have been dead yet?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #33
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
We Got A Twicther.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #34
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Obviously, this thread is not dead either.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #35
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I know why the Orc moved.

New Line were planning on a sequel - Fellowship of the Bling, which would follow the lives of the Orc band as they retired to Mordor and pursued careers in the oil industry forming an incredibly wealthy dynasty in Barad-Dallas.

This Orc was actually the character known as Bobby Ewinghashthak. In the opening scenes of Fellowship of the Bling, 'widow' Pam Ewinghashthak is sitting mournfully on her bed, missing her 'deceased' husband, when to her great surprise in he wanders from the shower, drying his hair nonchalantly like nothing has happened. Of course Pam is shocked but it turns out that The War of the Ring was all just a bad dream...
Old 08-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #36
Babidi Buu
Wight

Babidi Buu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Babidi Buu
So im not the only one that noticed the uruk move when aragorn ran over to boromir!
Either a Goof-up in the movie or
"Hmm? Where's he going? better watch- Oh Shoot! Two more are coming! Better play Dead!"

Just my thoughts though ^_^
Babidi Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #37
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I just re-watched it last week, and the thing that struck me most was the bit where, after Aragorn takes the hobbits into the wild, he throws the apple to Pippin (I think) and it hits him (Pippin, that is) in the face, and bounces into a completely different direction to the one in which Pipppin catches it.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #38
thewichtking
Animated Skeleton

thewichtking is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
1420!

i don't know if he was wounded he seemed to get up kinda quicklike he was alright but i still think that was either in the the script or the guy just did it to confuse us so that someone would start this thread!

Last edited by thewichtking; 02-06-2009 at 02:49 PM.
thewichtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #39
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Location: The cave under the Misty Mountains. Just take a wrong turn in the goblin's tunnels.
MaultheStoor is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
If I were an Orc and Aragorn jumped over me, I think I'd play dead too. Give Orcs credit for the little common sense they have.

See? You made him mad.
MaultheStoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #40
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I too have seen the orc rising up. Love it even if it is a mistake.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote