Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2007, 02:40 AM   #41
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Alright, thanks for the info, pio. *goes to PM Finduilas*
Old 05-08-2007, 03:02 AM   #42
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A note

Finduilas, please clear your PM box.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #43
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
sorry. All clear
Old 05-08-2007, 07:12 AM   #44
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas
sorry. All clear
No problem.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #45
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

Newsman has just left Hobbiton.
Linked to Player/Character List ~*~ Pio

NAME: Madoc Hurnt

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: A wooden walking stick, an dagger that is a family heirloom

APPEARANCE: A rather thin hobbit, who keeps the weight off by chasing the young hobbits away from his crops. His brown hair is rather long, and curls in a tangled mop.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Madoc is a rather internal hobbit, yet that doesnt stop him from making a name for himself. He is well known in Buckland for his simple pleasures and quick wit. Nights will usually find him sitting outside his door gazing at the stars while enjoying his pipe. Madoc has lately felt that he needs to get up and see something new, if only for a short time.

HISTORY: Madoc has lived in Hobbiton before coming to his current homestead. He is a farmer, yet his 5 sons do most of the work. He is the oldest son in his family, and has always felt a responsibility for his siblings, especially his youngest sister, Rose
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newsman's post

Madoc had always lived a good life. He had a beautiful family, a laid back and easy-going lifestyle, many friends. What more could a hobbit ask for? Yet many a night had found him sitting outside with his pipe looking at the stars and questioning himself. Something had grown inside him, could it be what had caused that hobbit to leave so long ago...what was his name, Bilbo?

That was when it was still safe to be outside at night. Lately things had grown dangerous, something new to people around here. Livestock were turning up dead, and even Toby Mugwort's dog had been killed. His own dog seemed nervous outside.

Madoc had a family to think of, and that was what had driven him to the town meeting. He could barely contain himself with how long the mayor had waited to address this issue. Yet he kept himself in check, and the anger slowly dissapated. The meeting progressed, and the plan of action was announced. Toby was to lead a group to find this "thing". As man and hobbit alike argued over the outcome, and who should join, Madoc stayed quiet in his seat.

Madoc respected Toby quite alot, but he really couldn't see himself doing something this daring. He stood up to go, but was pushed forward in the ruckus, his hand went up and the Mayor called him out. "Madoc Hurnt! Are you volunteering to join this cause?" The old mayor bellowed.

It took a moment for the words to sink in. Madoc stammered a reply. "Well, no...I...well I mean..." Suddenly that feeling that he needed something more took over, and the yearning for adventure rose. "I mean YES, yes I am." What was done was done, this was going to be very interesting.
----------

Last edited by Newsman; 05-09-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #46
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Newsman - Great bio, but there's one thing we have to straighten out. Please keep an eye on your PM box.

mormegil - Very nice post! If I can ask one little thing - could you briefly place Kuric at the town meeting specifically, and mention how he volunteers (if he speaks out himself, if he just raises his hand or something - though you don't need to get specific unless you'd like to).

I don't mean to be picky, but as we will be going straight from the town meeting to the meeting of the "Defenders," I'd like it to be as straight of a transition as possible from the first posts to the start of the game, if that makes sense... But anyway - one sentence will really do for that as far as I'm concerned.

Dimturiel and Forest Elf - Great posts!

Thanks, Pio, for updating the outline!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #47
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

Just so we realize it, i changed my previous post to a new character.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #48
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great bio, Newsman! I'm so glad you're playing a Hobbit! They're so much fun to RP and RP with.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #49
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thanks for getting that cleared up, Newsman.

And great posts to everyone who has written theirs! This RPG is really starting to shape up!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #50
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
- Player List moved forward -

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-13-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #51
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
[b]mormegil - Very nice post! If I can ask one little thing - could you briefly place Kuric at the town meeting specifically, and mention how he volunteers (if he speaks out himself, if he just raises his hand or something - though you don't need to get specific unless you'd like to).

I don't mean to be picky, but as we will be going straight from the town meeting to the meeting of the "Defenders," I'd like it to be as straight of a transition as possible from the first posts to the start of the game, if that makes sense... But anyway - one sentence will really do for that as far as I'm concerned.
Done, I hope it's okay. Don't worry about being picky, I've asked for you help and told you I'm new at this so I hope to get all the help I can. So if anybody has any suggestions or help to give please do.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #52
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Pio has generously given me a heads-up for this game, and I have to say it sounds quite interesting. I would be happy to join you folks but (why has there always have to be a but? ) you may have noticed that I haven't been too active on the 'downs lately. I currently have two jobs which keep me rather busy.

I would be happy to join you, provided that you understand that I may go missing for a couple days at the time, and I can't commit to posting more than once a week. Ideally I would be able to post at least twice (or more), but I can't guarantee it. If that is fine with the game owners, then I will gladly start working on my character bio.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #53
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I don't think that should be a problem, Farael. Nice to have you!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #54
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

My bio will be up on Monday, May 15th. (I will mostly finish it today and then do a short recheck + add the history part - which Fin's going to write during the weekend- on Monday.) This is the earliest I can manage well, since after today afternoon I won't be online until Monday, because I don't yet have a net access home... Hope this is alright...?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:08 AM   #55
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Might I ask a stupid question? I guess I can. Why has the last hobbit to be male? I mean, we've having a big majority of males already... (just asking)
Old 05-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #56
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

Hey, when are we gonna start the actual RPG?
Old 05-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #57
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

As soon as we have everyone's bios and first posts - so theoretically, by next weekend.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #58
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
I should have my bio posted Sunday... or Monday.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #59
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Linked to Character/Player List ~*~ Pio

Alright! here's my bio... I'll try to work on my first post sometime tomorrow but it's Mother's Day so I don't know how much I'll manage to get done. For now, I hope you enjoy this Bio. If there any changes you'd like to see, feel free to comment.

NAME: Robby Twofoot.

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: Weapons? They are such ungainly and unwholesome artefacts… Or so would Robby tell you. Yet, being a practical hobbit who found himself taking care of the cattle on his father’s farm quite often, he carried around a small sling and a small pack of rounded stones. He also owned a knife, which he used in the (rare) occasions where he would spend the night camping far from his father’s comfortable hobbit hole. Being a fairly good cook, he used this knife for skinning rabbits and other small game he could trap.

APPEARANCE: Perhaps too young to have grown fat as most hobbits invariably do, Robby is rather slim and perhaps even “muscular” if such term could ever be applied to a hobbit. Of course, this is said in no conventional way, as there is some extra padding around his waist. With curly brown hair, dark brown eyes and red cheeks there is not much that distinguishes him from other hobbits.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Perhaps because of his rather average looks Robby has always been one to take some risks and draw some attention to himself. Of course, so far, these risks have been only furtive excursions to Farmer Rowan’s strawberry and raspberry fields and the occasional night spent camping and telling stories by the campfire with a few of his friends.

HISTORY: Being the only sun of Rory and Betsy Twofoot, Robby has always been well looked after. In the opinion of some of the Bree folk (lead certainly by Farmer Rowan), too well looked after. Regardless, he had never wanted much that his parents would not give him, and what he had he most often had procured by himself. And all of these, other than Farmer Rowan’s berries which he had appropriated without payment (using the word “stolen” here would be too hard a statement), he had earned through his hard work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farael's post

“You should go to this Town Meeting son, it will be good for you” Grumbled Robby, thinking of what his father had told him earlier that day. “Oh, your dad is right Rob” had said his mother “it won’t be long before you realize your tweens are over and you are a gentlehobbit. You can’t grow up overnight son”.

Well, how was he ever going to grow up if he kept being told what to do by his parents? As they said themselves, he was almost out of his tweens! Regardless, here he was, looking desperately for any of his friends to talk to. He did not find any of his usual friends, but instead, he saw beautiful Rose Overhill. She was Timmy’s (or rather Timothy Underhil, Robby’s best friend) cousin’s twice removed on his mother’s side, which among hobbits is close enough to be considered a “relative”. As such, she was invited to Timmy’s birthday parties, where she did an excellent job of ignoring Robby Twofoot. Not to be discouraged by such minor setbacks, Robby kept on approaching her, until she finally agreed that he was not that bad a hobbit. Yet in spite of young Twofoot’s best efforts to impress her, she only regarded him as an acquaintance.

As he slowly made his way towards her in the crowded room, the mayor of Bree started talking about this frightful menace that was haunting the farms. Robby had, as the son of a farmer himself, heard plenty about it, but he did not concern himself much with it. None of his sheep had been attacked, and so he considered himself safe, and perhaps a little lucky. Still, knowing it would not do to start a conversation while the major was speaking, he stopped walking and pretended to pay attention to what Mayor Hershman was saying. Truth was, he was still looking at Miss Overhill, hoping to catch her eye.

Mayor Hershman, meanwhile, rambled on and on about this menace, and what they would do about it. It seemed that Farmer Mugwort would lead a group of men and hobbits to find out what this monster was, and deal with it accordingly. It sounded like an {i]adventure[/I] something that only those crazy folks from The Shire seemed bent on doing. He had heard many stories about “Mad Baggins” and his endless treasure, and then his son Frodo, along with Mayor Gamgee, had killed some sorcerer or another (personally, he always liked better the story of Master Peregrin Took and Meriadoc Brandybuck, two great and memorable hobbits who had fought alongside kings… and talking trees). But that was work for the Shire folk and not good , decent hobbits of Bree.

A few hands were raised, volunteers who would follow Farmer Mugwort on his search for this “menace”. And then, the unthinkable happened. Rose Overhill finally noticed him being there, and acknowledged him with a smile. Not only that, she walked over to him, and in a voice that sounded as harps playing in sweet harmony told Robby “Robby Twofoot! I did not expect to find you here. I thought you would be trampling around with your friends, too busy with your games and jests to be concerned by the troubles of others”

-“Why, of course Miss Overhill, I am no longer a lad of twenty five summers.” Answered Robby, hoping to sound more confident than how he truly felt. “As a matter of fact, I was thinking I should perhaps volunteer to join Farmer Mugwort and the others. It is time I do something other than looking after my daddy’s… that is, my father’s cattle.”

Rose seemed to be truly impressed, and so with a tingling in his stomach that may have been caused the proximity of Miss Overhill (or perhaps the fact that his father would positively disown him for being so reckless) Robby Twofoot raised his hand to catch Mayor Hershman’s eye and volunteered himself. After all, they were just going to find out what this “thing” may be… there was no reason to be worried about it, a couple of days camping under the stars and looking at what Robby expected to be some pawprints from one animal or another. No reason to be worried at all.

----------

Last edited by Farael; 05-18-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #60
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Last Male Hobbit

Greetings, Breelanders!

Pio very kindly asked me if I would be interested in playing the remaining male hobbit in this RPG. If there are no objections, I would!

I've got a character in mind, but I'm still working out the details. At this point, it looks like he's one of the many Tunnellys that live around Bree, and he's about 34 years old. I was thinking it might be interesting if he had a good friend among the humans, as that is unique to Bree. Any thoughts on that idea?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #61
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Moving this along.....

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-15-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #62
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sorry to everyone that I haven't be around of late. The end of the school year has been crazy busy.

At any rate - look at all this crew! I am so excited about this.

Welcome Farael and Dunwen!! I'm delighted to have such a good number of Hobbits now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwen
I was thinking it might be interesting if he had a good friend among the humans, as that is unique to Bree. Any thoughts on that idea?
I quite like that idea. One thing that we'll definitely be exploring in this game is the relationship between the 'Big Folk' and 'Little Folk.' And then of course we also have a nice Dwarf in the mix.

Unfortunately, my Parkun is not the sort I think who would get along with a Hobbit well enough to call him a friend. But...

Dimturiel, Crystal Heart - What do you think of either of your characters being good friends with Dunwen's Hobbit? Finduilas, Lommy - the same question to you if you're characters are going to be Bree residents.

Oh, and Lommy, about your question - we asked for only male Hobbits because Hobbit tradition for females seems to be that they are definitely expected to not do any adventuring. And considering the same is expected of most Hobbits in general, it just seems a little too out of place to have a female Hobbit among the "Defenders" specifically.

If our focus wasn't just on the "Defenders," I would really love to have more of a variety, but...well, we did at least start out with the intention to keep this simple.

Pio - My apologies, but I will be getting an extra first post completed for Parkun ASAP. Firefoot and I will start thinking about the order for first posts.

Edit: I forgot about this, sorry...

I will be away this coming Friday through Sunday, which of course means I will be away for the very beginning of the game. How convenient! I hope that won't affect things too much.

Last edited by Durelin; 05-13-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #63
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Would it be fine for Lommy and I to have a slightly annoying younger brother? About 13 years old. We probably won't use him much, and I don't know if other people would want to use him at all.

I would personally fine with being Dunwens hobbit's friend, but my character is going to be 19 so it depends on if he wants a young friend. That age is fine, right?

I will post my bio very soon.

Last edited by Finduilas; 05-13-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #64
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh, I will not include Dunwens character in my bio, untill he decides if he wants a young friend.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #65
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

A younger brother as a "carry along" of sorts sounds fine with me!
Old 05-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #66
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Linked to Player/Character List ~*~ Pio

Name: His parents named him Aragorn, after the king that had brought peace, but not liking the name, or rather the fact that he was named for a king that lived miles away, he insisted on being called Ash. Last name is Winkle.

Race: Man of Bree

Weapons: A bow, which he uses for hunting, and a knife.

Appearance: About 5’6”, brown eyes, brown hair always tied back. He is kind of thin, but is reasonably strong. He dresses entirely in grey.

Personality/Strengths/Weaknesses: He smiles often, but few have heard him laugh. He isn’t easily insulted, unless you say anything that he doesn’t consider praise about his twin sister. As a child he got into several fights for things that didn’t even bother her, but he thought were insulting towards her.

History: When he was younger he explored a great deal, so he knows the surrounding country pretty well. He and his father tend a small farm together, and Ash is steadily taking over more and more work, as his father gets weaker. Ash and Leonora grew up together on the farm and until the sickness of their mother they did almost everything together. They have a younger tag-along brother, age 13 now, named Orin. Their Mother died a few years ago, and their father isn’t in the best of health.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finduilas' post:

Ash thought that it was very unfair that when his father was no longer able to help much, something should start attacking the area. Even though only one or two animals on their farm had been killed, many people around Bree had lost animals. Ash hadn’t wanted to come to the meeting, but Father wasn’t able to, so there was nothing for it. At least Leonora was allowed to come.

Ash wasn’t a coward, but he felt very young as the meeting began, even though he saw that there were many other young men in the group. However, he soon forgot himself in the excitement of the meeting. He saw the threat of this new thing, and he saw no reason why he should not be able to find it. After all, he was an ambitious youth.

‘The poor mayor,” thought Ash, “This must be a hard job.”

When the Mayor called for volunteers, Ash waited till a few people had volunteered, then stood up.

“Sir, Leonora and I would be happy to be of any help to the lands and people of Bree. Count us in.” He said this, not noticing that he had volunteered Leonora, without even thinking. A quick look from her told him his mistake, but he saw that it was to late to take it back. He merely smiled apologetically and sat down.

----------

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-22-2007 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:54 AM   #67
Dunwen
Wight

Durelin , thanks for the welcome. I am excited to be here! <waves wildly to everyone>

Quote:
Dimturiel, Crystal Heart - What do you think of either of your characters being good friends with Dunwen's Hobbit? Finduilas, Lommy - the same question to you if you're characters are going to be Bree residents.
I PM'd Crystal Heart along these lines, as her character is the same age as Sam (my hobbit). However, I don't want anyone to feel pressured to change their character for this idea! It would be very possible for Sam to have younger friends among the Men. And there will be time for friendships to develop as the game is played out.

Meanwhile, I've got to get my bio & first post finished!!
Old 05-14-2007, 04:14 AM   #68
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Linked to Character/Player List ~*~ Pio

Name: Leanora Winkle, first name sometimes shortened to Lea

Race: Human of Bree

Weapons: She has a light hunting bow made of fir. The bow is made for hunting birds and rabbits and other small animals. Leanora has acquired the bow from her favourite uncle Mat, a carpenter, who gave it to her when she turned 12. Leanora also has a knife she usually carries everywhere and setting on a journey like the one she's to face, she has also taken a wooden wandering staff with her.

Appearance:
Leanora's hair is chestnut colour, long and wavy. Usually she does not tie it in any way, so it can be pretty tangled at times. Leanora has big, dark brown eyes and an oval-shaped freckled face. She has thin lips and slightly big front teeth.

Leanora is heavier-built than her slim brother and relatively strong for a woman of her age. Leanora prefers red and green in her clothing. Sometimes, especially when she was younger, she shocks people by going around in men's clothes, because she does not like wearing skirts and finds them impractical. If she's to go to the wilderness, she's definitely going to wear trousers.

Personality:
Leanora is easy-going, playful, mischevious and curious, but responsible and dutiful as well. She can also be quite serious at times. (See the history-part for more.)

History: Leanora and her twin brother Ash were born on a clear winter morning nineteen years ago. Ash, being some half an hour older than his sister, was the firstborn of the family. Later, Leanora and Ash got a little brother whom their parents named Orin. Leanora, Ash and Orin's father was a farmer and their mother a farmer's wife.
Leanora used to be a dashing, tomboy-ish girl, preferring boys' company on most occasions and being too often in trouble. She spent a lot of time with her twin brother and the other boys who lived nearby, playing in the woods and meadows near their home. Her parents have never been strict with her and she was nver taught too much women's work, beacuse she was disinterested in them. Instead, Leanora has helped her father with her twin brother in the farm work.

As she grew older she started befriending girls as well, but her adventurous and slightly mischevious spirit did not vanish. Leanora has always been outgoing, friendly, playful, curious and a little nasty. However, when her mother fell seriously ill two years ago, she was forced to grow up. As the only woman of the household she had to take up the household chores her mother had always been taking care of. Also, even though she recieved help from her aunt and sometimes from even her father or her twin brother, Leanora was the one to take care of her ill mother. The year of her mother's sickness and her passing away had a great effect on her. There is a seriousness in her eyes that was not there before. Nowadays Leanora does women's work and wears women's clothes without grumbling. She's less childish and less fickle. People who used to know her sometimes wonder where has the crazy, daring, rascal girl gone. The ones who truly know her know that the rascal girl has gone nowhere, she's just grown up to a bit more serious and responsible young woman.

Thinlómien's post

Leanora looked out of the window, watching a crow fly in the sky. She was deep in thought and hardly listened to the Mayor's words. It was not that she wasn't interested - she was - but the Mayor's speech was very dull and there was nothing new for her as the Mayor's daughter, Jinna, had already told her the latest news.

Leanora was thinking about the issue. Many people had lost animals, mostly sheep. Leanora and her brother's friend Jock had lost his dear dog. What kind of beast can it be? Papa had suggested that the killers were ordinary wolves, who had just become more aggressive, but Leanora couln't agree. It wasn't a satisfactory explanation. Old stories of hill trolls and even more horrible beats of the wilderness kept danicng in her head.

Suddenly Leanora noticed Ash springing up. "Sir, Leanora and I would be happy to be of any help to the lands and people of Bree. Count us in", he said in a steady voice. Leanora cast a quizzical look at him. He sat down and smiled his apologetic smile. Leanora rolled her eyes. Ash never asks my opinion because he always thinks he can assume what I think, Leanora thought, a bit grumpily. Ash looked at her. "Lea?" he asked, looking slightly worried. He seemed to wonder if he had mistaken her feelings about the matter. "It seems we're going, then", she said and grinned. How could her brother have even slightly doubted her love for adventures?

----------

Last edited by Thinlómien; 05-18-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #69
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
I like the idea. I would totally be friends with Dunwen's hobbit charrie!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #70
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen's Character

Linked to Player/Character list ~*~ Pio

NAME: Sam Tunnelly

RACE: Hobbit of Bree

WEAPONS: A long leaf-shaped steel knife, like those the Elves used to carry, but of Sam's own making. He also has a hobbit-sized bow and arrows from his youth, and like many hobbits is quite accurate at throwing stones or other objects at a target. Sam is a fine wrestler as well, although he only does so for sport.

APPEARANCE: A full 4 feet tall, Sam is slightly less plump than most hobbits, and has broad muscular shoulders and arms developed from years working at the forge in Bree. He is very strong for a hobbit, and is even capable of besting a Man in a wrestling match, as he has proven during some of the rowdier evenings at the Prancing Pony. Sam has a broad, generally friendly-looking face surmounted by curly dark brown hair. His eyes are blue.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Easy-going and placid, Sam is used to hard work. While he wouldn't have chosen to be a smith of his own accord, he knows he's lucky to have been placed in a profitable line of work with a kindly master, so he doesn't complain. He takes pleasure where he can: a pint of ale after a hot day in the forge, tending the smith's garden, spending time with his friends. One of his greatest assets is his physical strength, which is combined with remarkable agility. Sam was forced to learn letters and ciphering during his apprenticeship, which has come in handy on occasion over the years. His even temper is a double-edged sword: while he doesn't often become angry, he tends to go along with others instead of taking the initiative, and he has seldom tried to set a goal himself and reach it, always preferring to take direction from others.

HISTORY: Sam, named after the famed Samwise Gamgee, is the second son of Magwich and Aminta Tunnelly. He has an older brother, Frodo, and two younger sisters, Begonia and Lobelia. He spent his early years on the family farm near Bree, but was apprenticed at the age of 14 to the blacksmith in Bree, and has lived at the Bree forge ever since. While he remains close to his family, he made several friends in Bree over the years, including Eric Wadell, one of the Big Folk his own age. Sam is currently a journeyman smith, permitted by his master to take commissions. He is conscientious in his work, but he'd by far rather be outdoors tending a bit of garden of his own or rambling through the woods. Now that he's of age, he enjoys visiting the Prancing Pony regularly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunwen's post

Normally, Sam Tunnelly liked Big Folk. After all, he'd lived in Bree since he'd been apprenticed at the age of fourteen to the town smith, who was a Man himself. But at this day's town meeting, their sheer size made it hard for a Hobbit, even one as strong as Sam, to get through. Alas, he'd arrived too late to get a seat on one of the benches, so he had to listen as best he could. Seeing over the heads of the crowd would be unlikely for any of the Little Folk; seeing through the press of bodies a matter of luck.

Some town meetings attracted only a scant number of people of either size, but this one was about the rash of mangled animal corpses that had shown up all over the Breeland and it was packed. Sam's own Dad, a farmer on the outskirts of town, had sent word only yesterday that they'd lost one of their two milk cows and that a barn cat had been found torn to bits. Losing the cow was a hard blow for the family, as the extra dairy goods had brought a small but steady income to the farm. But the cat was scarier, for they seldom strayed far from the barn, and the barn was an easy walk from the door of their burrow. According to the neighboring farmer who'd brought word to Sam, his Dad wasn't letting his mother or two younger sisters step outside unless he or his oldest son, Sam's brother Frodo, was with them.

Many others were as frightened as his father, he learned as he listened carefully to the talk in his immediate vicinity. Sam recognized several voices. He stood up to his full four feet when he heard his old friend Eric Wadell speaking. Sam approved of Eric's suggestion for a group of Breelandrs to find the thing and stop it. He frowned at the mayor's high-handedness in telling Eric he had to be one of the searchers, though. He'd bet a gold piece that Eric hadn't intended to go on the hunt. His friend had a mother and sisters to support, after all.

As talk went on in the meeting, Sam had a small debate with himself. He didn't like the idea of going out and looking for some unknown and bloodthirsty thing, but there were others, Big and Little, who volunteered to join Eric in doing just that. He thought of his Dad's fears for their womenfolk. It occured to him that he was probably the strongest hobbit in Bree and at only 34 years old, he had no one depending on him for support. He'd learned some woodcraft as a boy hunting with bow and arrow. And if one of his best friends was going --

"Hi!" The burly hobbit jumped and waved his hand to get the mayor's attention. "I'll go, too." He cleared his throat and added, "Sam Tunnelly, journeyman smith," somewhat unnecessarily, as he was known to most of Bree.

'Well, I've put my toes in the fire now,' he thought unhappily, as the meeting went on around him. 'I hope they don't get eaten along with the rest of me.'

----------

Last edited by Dunwen; 05-20-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:53 AM   #71
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

- Bringing this forward -

Players/Characters List

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bios are all in and look great!

First Posts should be on board by Friday, May 18th, or sooner if possible.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, game moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-20-2007 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:05 AM   #72
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I'm sorry to be such a hindrance, but I'm to write my post only after Finduilas has written hers (so that I don't contradict anything she says and bacause I think our characters should be together in the first posts). This means I will do it on Friday as I think Finduilas is to do hers today or tomorrow and I can't most probably get online at all tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #73
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

For Lommy's info, my post is up.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:21 AM   #74
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Just if someone's out there right now, anxious for everything to ready, I can inform you that my post should be up in a few hours...
Old 05-18-2007, 02:45 AM   #75
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Okay, I wrote it and added it to the post where my character description form is. If Finduilas or someone else wants something changed, just tell me...
Old 05-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #76
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alright, my post is up... I did my best to remain as vague as possible as to when Robby volunteered to join, so you can fit my post anywhere you'd like. If I made any mistakes, give me a heads-up! (and that includes grammar... please, help me improve my grammar by telling me if I make a mistake!)
Old 05-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #77
Dunwen
Wight

Finally

My first post is up at last. I apologize for lateness, but some pressing things came up this week which kept me away from the computer. I should now be able to check in daily, however.

Crystal Heart , I did refer to your character and his being volunteered by the mayor. Please let me know if you'd like me to edit that part of my post; I'll be happy to make adjustments.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:28 AM   #78
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Looks great, everyone! Durelin and I will just have a look at the order of the first posts, and then we should be good to go!
Old 05-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #79
Forest Elf
Haunting Spirit

Location: You say your hurting is over.. It feels like you're out of reach...
Forest Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Just coming on to say that I'll either be on more than once a week or maybe once every 3 weeks or so because my aunt died of cancer today...
Old 05-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #80
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

My condolences. So sorry...