The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Governments that cannot give their citizens passpports after 11 weeks of waiting. It really sucks to drive most of the night and wait all day and be strung along by various government employees until it's finally too late to make your flight, only to face a three-and-half hour drive home to show up at the airport in the faint hope of being able to get a refund.

(Obviously, the second part of my signature does not currently apply!)
Old 06-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh, that's absolutely terrible, Oro. I'm sorry to hear that. Will you not be able to go at all then?

The passport application process really is quite horrible. I applied for my passport several weeks ago, and they told me I wouldn't be able to receive it until around August 16. That means 12+ weeks of waiting!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Dark-Eye

Huh. I've been waiting for 5 years to get my Finnish citizenship. Why? The authorities lost my application because some yit quit his job and forgot my application.

They better get it done soon, because in less than two years I'll be sent to the Ukrainian army or I'll have my Ukrainian passport taken (if I appear in Ukraine). And I deffinitely don't want to grow a spine that way!

Anyway, more to the topic: I assign the wierd combinations of "bicycle-computer-finger nail" and "bicycle-rubbish bin-finger nail" leaving the connection of these items to the readers imagination.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
My university's registration process, adding matriculation, and the unfortunate fact that second years and third years are of the lowest priority. And the people in charge not being wise enough to post the procedure for add mat just in case there are some students unfamiliar with the process.

Walking from building to building to building and waiting for three hours, being forced to skip a class in the process, for a step in the procedure that you can actually do yourself.

5:30 to 7 PM classes in airconditioned auditoriums having soft leather seats. And having a hoarse-voiced-talking-to-self Jigglypuff for a professor. Combine that with having come from a Microbio lab class in a building 10 minutes of walking away, and the temptation to sleep is simply overwhelming.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 06-21-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Hives.
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Losing your mobile at the most inconvenient time. I've come up to Guildford for the weekend so I can see my old housemate before she disappears back to Malaysia but because I've lost my phone the only way I can contact her is by getting her number from someone else. I assumed I could do this at our new house because I supposed someone would be in, but no one was, so I am now on campus, in the library, on a computer trying to Facebook her so she at least has my number.

It's all so confusing! And to make matters worse I don't actually have a room at the house because they're currently fixing the patio windows that make up one wall of my room. I'll probably end up in someone elses room at this rate.

So, basically ... argh!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign rubbish news. Sheffield is currently drowning, the rivers have burst their banks and the RAF are having to rescue people in the lower Don Valley, as buildings are falling down due to the water, the steel forges are apparently at risk of exploding - and peak flood is not til 11pm. davem was sent home at 4.15 it was that bad, but you turn on the news at 6pm and what do they witter on about? The Leeds 'Fun Run' and rain spoiling Wimbledon - news - we don't care about the tennis! It's completely trivial!

And I assign climate change.

I've spent most of the day trying to stop water running into my dining room through the actual walls it's been raining so hard, and I'm lucky because we live atop a hill. We still cannot get hold of davem's mam at all.

However I assign my luck in having had a day off, to the Shire!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
Oh, that's absolutely terrible, Oro. I'm sorry to hear that. Will you not be able to go at all then?

The passport application process really is quite horrible. I applied for my passport several weeks ago, and they told me I wouldn't be able to receive it until around August 16. That means 12+ weeks of waiting!
Yeah, my family ended canceling the trip entirely. We're still waiting to see whether we'll be able to get back the ~$4,000 we paid for plane tickets.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Ticks.

I'm paranoid from walking through weeds to get to a paddock. Pretty horses, yes, but I'm wearing a skirt and a tank top and somebody just mentioned ticks and how I ought to check for them and now I swear I've got the little critters crawling all over me.

Eew.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Bug bites.

Because while it's cool that I fell asleep reading Dracula and I woke up to find a crescent moon shaped series of bitemarks that looks like some cool nocturnal beastie was taking a nibble out of my belly, whatever it was set off an allergic reaction to the rest of the world and it's itchy, and I'm allergic to most allergy medications.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Mixed signals - especially from guys, and the resulting awkwardness. They're bad enough as it is, but why does it have to involve someone with whom I'll be working in Microbio lab for the whole term?

Falling asleep on the living room floor, suddenly waking up to realise that, and remembering that you were supposed to be working on a Microbio lab report.

I'm almost tempted to assign Microbio for indirectly causing these, but it's too cool for Mordor.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
, and I'm allergic to most allergy medications.
allergic to allergy medicine. . . .that is tragicomic.

I would probably laugh a bit if I did not know how awful alergies can be (and mine are not even that seriouse) and how much I love that medication.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That special kind of trouser spoiling fear that only comes with being driven at breakneck speed on a surreal route around the city centre by an elderly taxi driver who has an uncanny knack of making the car constantly lurch from side to side, ranting all the while about tax, braking hard behind other drivers, cutting up lorries on roundabouts, yelling about women drivers and going "Eh?!" at everything you say. In a torrential rainstorm.