The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2003, 03:19 PM   #1
Hans Markus Rod
Pile O'Bones

Hans Markus Rod has just left Hobbiton.
Sting If you could choose character?

If you could choose to be a character in Middle-earth, who would you be, and what would you have done diffrent?
I would like to have been Turin Turambar.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:28 PM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I'm moving this thread to the Novices and Newcomers forum, since it's not a discussion of the books. There are similar topics there already, but the last question could make this thread interesting and different.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a few characters I would choose.

Luthien, and I would not change anything.

Finduilas of Dol Amroth. I don't know the full story, but I'm wondering if Denethor would have survived had Finduilas not died so young.

Galadriel. I don't know much about her past, but I'm thinking that she had a pretty decent life, even if it was a bit miserable (I believe its been called some form of tragic or sad life at one point). Anyhow, she is an interesting character, and there is the bonus of being married to Celeborn.

Celebrian. Again I don't know the full circumstances surrounding her demise, and I probably would not try to change them, although being held captive by orcs isn't top of my to-do list. She seems to have had a decent life up until her captivity, and if there was any way I could change her fate, I might consider it.

Boromir. A wonderful character, loyal to his wonderful homeland. Naturally, the choice here is to not succumb to the ring, although I entirely understand and sympathise with his reasoning and loyalty to Gondor. But yes, I would have Boromir resist the ring if I could.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:00 PM   #4
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If I had to be a character, or wanted to, for that matter, It would take me a long while to decide who to chose.

Pippin: because I admire the fact that he went from pathetic troublemaker to Hobbit warrior

Aragorn: because he is willing to give up his desires and temptations for those he trusts and loves

Varda: I have the same love for living things

Luthien: Her love for Beren that was so strong that she would give up her immortality and virtually her whole world for him. Love is a powerful thing.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:04 PM   #5
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

I'd be Faramir from the movie and make him in character.

But seriously, I think I would be Denethor. I would have put more faith in Gandalf than Saruman; I've always been curious if Denethor would have suffered the same fate if he'd listened to Aragorn's advice on wizards those many years ago.
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:09 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was just thinking about Denethor, when I saw your post.

Straight off, I would just love to be Denethor for the pure experience. But if I could change him, I'd probably do the same: trust Gandalf more than he did. I'm also wondering how events would have altered if he had resisted the lure of the Palantir and not used it.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:49 PM   #7
Cameron Waite
Animated Skeleton

Cameron Waite has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elladan or Elrohir!
I would love to be one of the twin sons of Elrond. At all times that they are mentioned in the story they seem to me to be fearless and in the thick of things. They arent loud and bombastic like some other characters and simply do what is right. I love the thought of the two of them out fighting the orcs alone while their kinsman celebrate in the halls of Rivendell. That seems very heroic to me. Also seeing as how they are not pure Elf blood, their father being half elven, they have the characteristics of men that i can more easily identify with and yet at the same time they also have the blessing of perpetual youth.

If i could change something about them it would be that they had both or at least one of them had been part of the company. i think they could have contributed significantly.Elrond may even have been considering them when he at first wanted to place someone of his household in the company instead of Merry and Pippin.
Just some thoughts! Great topic!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:16 PM   #8
ambi
Pile O'Bones

ambi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It really depends. If I had to become a character for life, I would choose some one simple like a Hobbit who doesn't have much worries or responsibilities, or maybe an Elf in Valinor.

But if only for a short while, I would choose Aragorn as he's my favourite character.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:38 PM   #9
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Beware the signature virus.

Any one of the hobbits, for I greatly admire their way of going from pansies to warriors. Yes, I called them pansies. No, I won't take it back.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:55 PM   #10
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think it would have been fascinating to be Tuor; to meet Ulmo, to find the fortress by the Sea, to find the way into Gondolin, to actually see Gondolin, to meet and marry an Elf, and to save many of the inhabitants of the city, even if he couldn't save the city itself. I cannot think of anything I would change.
I should also like to have been one of the Dunadain during the ride through the Paths of the Dead.
If I had been Turin Turambar, which I would not at all like to be, I would have either not killed the person tormenting me in the first place (what was his name?), not fled when I had killed him, or come back when all was known and forgiven. Hans Markus Rod, why would you choose to be him, and what would you have changed?
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:06 AM   #11
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would like to have either been Fingolfin so i could have seen Valinor but also lived in the ist age of ME and seen some of its beauty before it was destroyed. Also i love him because he is so brave.

Elrond because i would love to have seen the second age and all its wonders. I would probably have taken a more active part in the rangers. Actually going out with them rather than just remaining in Rivendell.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:24 AM   #12
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I would have liked to be Goldberry. I don't know much about her though, so I don't think there's anything I'd change...

-Maikafanawen
Old 06-20-2003, 05:55 AM   #13
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd want to be Radagast.Talking with birds and being a mysterious person seems real tight to me.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:26 PM   #14
Falasiel

Silmaril

I would love to be Elrond: to have lived so long, suffered so much loss, caring and healing and compassionate, wise both in learning and in insight into others, and bearing so much responsibility with grace. I wish that he had heeded as much to his Atani side as to the elvish one, so that he would have been more proactive as the War of the Ring approached.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:45 PM   #15
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Pipe

Well, I haven't yet read the Silm or The Unifished Tales so I'm not fully informed of all the characters. But from the LotR, I would have to say Gandalf, of course. He's so powerful and so wise.

Hmm... What would I do differently? I can't really say because almost all of Gandalf motives were kept hidden, so any changes I might make could have catastrophic repercutions.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:37 PM   #16
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I've got about three characters that I would have been:

Fëanor -- I've always admired his independence and strength. Of course, I also do love the sparklies! I would have tried to resist Morgoth's darkness a bit more, and not have accused the Valar of acting like guard dogs. I think that was his biggest mistake. If not that, I wouldn't have charged on after the Balrogs during the Dagor-nuin-Giliath, I would have stayed put.

Fingolfin -- This may sound masochistic, but I would have wanted to lead my people over the Helcaraxë. I think it would be something every leader wants to do. He was also one of the bravest, strongest Elves ever born. The thing that I would have done differently is not go charging off after Morgoth. I think that this entire family had that problem. Of course, I do understand Fingolfin's rage, but still, there are other ways to have revenge.

This is going to scare some people:

Maeglin -- I'm interested in psychiatry, and how people think, so I've always wondered what went on in Maeglin's head. What was he thinking when his life was falling apart around him? I mean, that Elf's mind is every psychiatrist's dream!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:48 PM   #17
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

I think I would like to be.......Eowyn. She is very brave and bold and always wants to be active and not washing the dishes. If I were her I'd be exactly like her so nothing would really change! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:39 PM   #18
Benbo

Sting

I would have been Gandalf as he got to have lots of adventures. I think if i could have changed anything then i would have kicked sarumans *** some more!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:09 AM   #19
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought of more~

Maedhros~ because of his loyalty to his friends, even when his brothers were being real a****

Elrond~ He's just cool
Old 06-26-2003, 03:09 PM   #20
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Let's see...

I'd most want to be Aragorn just for the sake of it. I mean, it would really be fun just keeping track of all the orcs I've killed...
and don't forget the "becoming King of all the Western Realm" part.

Also, some changes I would make...

THINGOL: I really wouldn't have been so harsh on Beren or Luthien. I mean it is their own decision right?

BOROMIR: Obviously, I wouldn't have tried to take the Ring from Frodo. Plus if He'd survived who knows what would happen?
Old 06-27-2003, 02:45 PM   #21
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Sting

i would want to be frodo baggins cause he is the ringbearer and hes cute
Old 09-13-2003, 09:47 AM   #22
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Crumbs, that's a hard question.

Well, seeing as Boromir didn't marry I can rule out being with him. Perhaps either Merry or Pippin's wife (Estella or Diamond). But that's kind of an easy option, seeing as we know nothing about them.
Eowyn would be the hard option, but it pays off in the end because she shows her worth and gets her man. So I think I'd be her.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:24 AM   #23
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

Wow, that's a difficult question.

Hm....I would probably like to be one of these:

Pippin: He is a hobbit. I like hobbits because I think they are special. I like Pippin simply because he has a good sense of humour.

Galadriel: Galadriel is old and wise. It something about her that makes you shiver, I think. Not because she is 'scary' or anything, but, to me, she has always been 'magical'.

Legolas & Gimli: Legolas is the tall elf, with the bow...ahh... I would like to be like him/or be him, not because he is 'hot' in the film. (I don't think he is) But because I like elves, and Legolas is a 'strong' character I think. He is Gimli's 'best buddy', something I find fascinating. Elves and dwarves aren't supposed to be friends.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 09:24 PM   #24
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Nice Topic! I'll have to jump on the bandwagon, not because everyone's picking them; just because they're really good choices. Elrond, Celebrian, Elrohir, or Elladan. Do you think I like Elrond's family? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I don't think I would change much since I don't know about their stories (in depth, I mean. I get the general gist of things). I've always had fantasies about Celebrian since we've never really met her, and I love reading fan-fics and making up my own stories about Elladan and Elrohir. Elrond is just an all around great competitor for best character in the entire book. I love them all.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:10 PM   #25
ElberethVarda
Pile O'Bones

ElberethVarda has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have only read LOTR, so my choice is a bit limited.....

ARWEN- It must have been really hard for her to see Aragorn go with the Fellowship, knowing that she could never see him again. But she held fast to her love to him.

I think I'd actually like to be Butterbur. He has a cool job. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2003, 01:25 AM   #26
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Id love to be Lothíriel the love of Éomer. Becuase Éomer is just tops!

Id also like to be Théodwyn, or Galadriel, Galadreil becuse she seems to have had a really exciting life.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:40 PM   #27
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Hmmm.. interesting one... Welcome to the Downs, Hans Markus Rod! Enjoying being dead? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Well if I've to pick one (because I've got plenty) I would have to be:

-Aragorn. Because he's so real, and compassionate, and devoted, and he's an awesome warrior. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] He did what he had to, and fulfilled his destiny in the noblest, most admirable way I have yet seen.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:26 PM   #28
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Well, I immediately thought of some of my favorite characters, but then I though "Woah! Some of them had it pretty tough!" Pretty much everyone in ME had some dark moments.

But I decided that it would be worth going through the trying times to experience the thrilling, victorious moments. And even some defeats were glorious.

I'd choose Feanor, Turin, Hurin, Elrond, and Maedhros.

(and I suppose I wouldn't mind being Beren either, when I consider who his honey was [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

[ September 17, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]
Old 09-22-2003, 07:07 PM   #29
Elmirwen

Silmaril

I would have to choose Eyown as my middle-earth character... when reading the book I take time on her lines, even read them out loud...she is the tragic heroine i wish i could be...I am tragic, just not a heroin(however I try). I feel her pain of love unriquited and wish I could ride into battle and defy the enemy. I keep hoping my story will have a happy ending, but i can't seem to see any Faramir through these treacherous mists that surround me...
Old 09-22-2003, 07:37 PM   #30
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

If I could be anybody I would have to be Tom Bombadil. What I would do diffrent would be to have taken the Ring to Mordor.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:21 AM   #31
Vladivos the Rider
Animated Skeleton

Vladivos the Rider has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

If I could be a Tolkien character I'd probably be Faramir or Eowyn; to me they always seemed warriorlike, yet still compassionate and likeable, yet initially without such a great and perilous responsibility as Aragorn. In the book I wouldn't change anything, though if you were talking about the film, make Faramir like he is in the book... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 12:35 PM   #32
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

elf-girl-63 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn because he fulfills his destiny and is a brave warrior. He keeps going (like Frodo bu I prefer Aragorn) when responsibility is thrown onto him. Everyone respects and loves him in a non-sexual way (except Arwen) and he commands without resorting to rudeness. Not only is he a great warrior but wise, noble and (almost) perfect!

All that is gold does not glitter...
elf-girl-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:02 PM   #33
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If I could be any ME character it would be Arwen(The one from the books). I mean she does one of the most dificult things for a woman nowadays to do. She knows her place. She doesn't try to be a man. She has to see her only love go and know that she can no longer help him exept by just loving him and waiting for him. You guys probably won't understand what I'm talking about but girls you can relate.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:56 AM   #34
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Galadriel. I don't know much about her past, but I'm thinking that she had a pretty decent life, even if it was a bit miserable (I believe its been called some form of tragic or sad life at one point). Anyhow, she is an interesting character, and there is the bonus of being married to Celeborn.
Galadriel DID have a pretty good life. That is, until she left Valinor with Feanor. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] but that's a different story. ANYWAYS... I would like to be:
Luthien, because she loved Beren so much she died for him (in a way)
Arwen, (NOT MOVIE ARWEN) because she gave up eternal happiness to be with the one she loved (but I guess she really wouldn't be happy without Aragorn, would she?)
Eoywen: She is just so cool!
Old 10-07-2003, 01:10 PM   #35
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have been Aragorn. He is by far the best character in the book. His character traits and personality seems to speak to me.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:59 PM   #36
Shochet

Sting

Aragorn. But only in his role as Strider.
I'm somewhat of a loner, and I'm pretty much at home in the woods or swamps.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:59 PM   #37
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

Arwen. She was so noble, and I love the story of her and Aragorn. She loved him so much, she was willing to give up immortality and the ability to sail to Valinor so she could be with Aragorn. She was so devoted to him!

My second choice would probably be Luthien, pretty much for the same reasons.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:51 PM   #38
Shenaran
Pile O'Bones

Shenaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not sure I would be any of them, but if I had to choose, it would be Legolas are personalities are very similar, I stay in the background and not say much, just watch everyone else do stupid things.

But truthfully I have made my own character that is more of my personality....Shenarwen.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:22 PM   #39
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Interesting choice of Maeglin, Finwë! I couldn't help but feel for Maeglin in his difficult position and mourn for the waste of such promise. He seems to have been doomed from the outset by his relationship to Eol the Dark Elf and the built in mistrust/secrecy surrounding the hidden kingdom of Gondolin. I can't say whether I would blame it more on his nature or his situation. He does seem to exhibit a lot of characteristics similar to Eol's when pressed to it. It seems the minions of Morgoth pressed the right buttons with Maeglin, just as Morgoth had been able to press Fëanor's buttons.

Honestly, I probably would have wanted to be Nerdanel, wife of Fëanor, for her unique perspective, although I imagine there would be little she could do to change Fëanor's headlong rush to meet his fate. For that, I would have to have been Fëanor himself. I have not read the HoME series, so I do not know if this is covered there, but I wonder what revelations and realizations Fëanor must have had time to have sitting in Mandos' halls for so long...

Oh yes, I, too, am curious as to why Hans Markus Rod wishes to be Turin Turambar! I know it is 20/20 hindsight, but I think I'd go after Finduilas, myself, were I Turin. But that is too much to ask him to know, unless by some flash of insight... perhaps, if I had been Glaurung, I could have accidentally burned myself up and saved Turin and his kin a whole lot of trouble! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:22 AM   #40
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I am Dúnedain Ranger #7 who rode south with Halbarad, who was serving as our captain in Aragorn's absence. I made him upo myself, but kept him completely within the confines of Tolkiens world. Hanasían is the name.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote