The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #41
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Okay, I'll play. I don't know if i'd be able to vote at deadline though. Annddd If we get options, I follow Melkor.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #42
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
Oh, specialties! Can I be the patron of town criers across the world? That way, I can cause them to inconspicuously respawn when one dies?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #43
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I'm not feeling creative enough to come up with an occupation. I throw myself at the mercy of Nog.

I say yes to double-kills if the village is large enough to handle it.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #44
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I vote yes to double-kills. Also, since Agan is a spirit of fire, I trust it won't be too much trouble to make me a spirit of water?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #45
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Well I don't want to be too obvious by just being the queen of all butterflies, haha, so.....I'll go with caring for all of the small, winged creatures that enjoy flowery areas (various little birds, dragonflies, ladybugs, etc). And flowers = Vána.

So, in short: belongs to Vána, cares for all the garden dwelling, winged creatures.

I'm good with any start date, and vote in favour of double kills. Can't wait to start!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #46
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Also, since Agan is a spirit of fire, I trust it won't be too much trouble to make me a spirit of water?
As long as you aren't planning to cause me any trouble with that water.

And Nog, I want to be called Firebeck!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #47
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Welcome Blind Guardian!

But you should really consider your explicit loyalties. Being known to follow Melkor will most probably get you lynched pretty soon, well on the first occasion there are no alternatives... like D1.

It's your choice to be sure.

Listening to the mood it looks like we should introduce double-kills; I'd say they come into the play with 21 or more players (if everyone now enlisted, also as "a maybe", will play we have exactly 21). But we'll see whether all the questionmarks will play - or whether some more join the game in the next few days...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #48
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I shall be a Maia of Mandos, and orc-sympathizer. Proud Chair-person of the "Orcs have Spirits too" movement.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #49
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ohh Boro... sorry I have not revealed any further info yet (well I checked the actual timelines only today to be honest), but your request is impossible as there are no orcs yet when the game begins. It was a nice idea...

So let me state it here:

The game begins in the era where everyone is waiting for the Firstborn to emerge in the Middle-Earth. Yavanna and Oromë are roaming the M-E with some Maiar either accompanying them, or some of the Maiar being there more or less on their own, whatever their reason for being there is...

Melkor has heard about the dwarves through his spies but has not been able to locate the sleeping ones - therefore the idea of catching some of the Maiar dwelling in the M-E at the time... It is more or less Valian year 4500 when we begin the game (you have been captured around that time or a bit earlier).

So all of you players are Maiar who have never seen an elf, an orc... or a dwarf or a human to that matter. Things will start to pour outside your prison soon enough, but I'm afraid little of it will get to you wretched guys in the deepest recesses of Utumno... even if some of the great turns of history might affect you at least indirectly.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 AM   #50
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
No worries Nog, I didn't take into consideration the timeframe you had in mind. In that case,

I shall still be a Maia of Mandos, the interpretter of dreams. (or would that put me in Vaire territory?)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #51
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry if this has been specified already but when are you planning to start this?

I might join if the starting date is in a few days from now, preferably around Jan 1st.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #52
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Silmaril

You'd better take me off the "maybe" list, Nog– I'm definitely not going to be able to play, much to my regret. Sorry not to let you know earlier, but it wasn't certain until today.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #53
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
I might join if the starting date is in a few days from now, preferably around Jan 1st.
We're actually starting on your date of choice! So welcome Skip!

Sorry to see you can't make it Nerwen.

About 47 hours to the go!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #54
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay, confirming. I'm in.

And if that's not too much interfering on Boro's territory of dream-interpretation, I'll be a maia who lives in Lórien and paints the dreams of those sleeping there.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #55
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
You can make my sign-up confirmed as well.

And I see we have alredy several Maiar associated with water, but they are rather differently defined than what I had in mind, so I hope it won't be such a big deal to make me a Maia associated with the unfathomed depths of the world's seas but also with the waters surrounding Arda in the outer space...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #56
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
We're actually starting on your date of choice! So welcome Skip!
Alright then!

Haven't read the rules nor the theme yet other than in passing and no time for that right now either but I'll be a follower of Aule with an avid interest in behavioural sciences.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #57
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
ld really consider your explicit loyalties. Being known to follow Melkor will most probably get you lynched pretty soon, well on the first occasion there are no alternatives... like D1.
Well, if my occupation didn't make it obvious, I am also a follower of Melkor.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #58
Ozban
Haunting Spirit

Ozban has just left Hobbiton.
Is there a free spot yet? I'd like to participate.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #59
Ozban
Haunting Spirit

Ozban has just left Hobbiton.
About my occupation, Yavanna's underling with inferiority complex. Caretaker of undergrowth and small bushes in general, especially blackberries.

May it be?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #60
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
So I'm nostalgic, and have an essay to write - which clearly means I need to sign up for a werewolf game that will take up all my time!

If you're still open Nog then I'm confirming.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #61
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. Sign-in is closed!

And welcoming the latest players: Ozban, Kath and Caílin!

So, we have a village of 24 players.

That means 4 wolves - with double-kills everyNight as long there are four of them.

And one Cobbler (with possibly an extra-ability*).

N1 begins in about 11 hours. Roles will be dealt and sent to you just before that.

And Happy New Year 2011!

* With 25 players we should actually have 5 wolves... but as we have just 24 - and I'm a bit reluctant to introduce such a horde of wolves into the game (think of the voting-power they'd have) - I will consider stengthening the cobbler a bit.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #62
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Okay. Sign-in is closed!

And welcoming the latest players: Ozban, Kath and Caílin!
???

She kept that quiet, like.

Edit: are we breaking a record for number of couples in this game? Why's Glirdan not playing?

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 01-01-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #63
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh, occupations...

I'll be Carmótar - the Maia of housework.

And, wow, this game has become huge!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #64
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
And, wow, this game has become huge!
Indeed...

The Night 1 has begun, AND WILL LAST 36 HOURS.

Narration is up in the game thread and all the special roles have been sent.

I will still be sending you with no special role a confirmation PM that you are an ordo (I like to get one myself when playing).

If you have any questions, anyone, just PM me or post to this admin. thread.

Day 1 begins on 3.1. at 10AM! (After a 36-hour D1 we turn back into the normal 10PM deadline)

Enjoy the music of Utumno meanwhile!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #65
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I have updated the player-list and given everyone "an occupation" marking you as "A spirit of X"; X being derived from your pre-game posts (or with Sally just because of, well Salliness ).

If you're unhappy with your description, feel free to give a new one within the next 14 hours (before D1 begins).

That's nothing important though. Helps with the D1 starting banter - and I might use some of them with death-narrations if they sem to fit or there is room for them (other narrational aims don't override the use of them).
Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #66
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
are we breaking a record for number of couples in this game?
Heh, we probably are. What a great "stress test" for the relationships!

On other news...

The roles & rules have been updated and D1 is about to begin. Check the rules and inform me if there any rulings missing or if there are any confusions concerning either the rules or the roles.

To those interested in the music the Maiar have been unwillfully listening to, I may reveal that it has been from the St. Luke Passion by the polish composer Krzysztof Penderecki (N1: O crux ave and D1: In pulverem mortis).

Have fun!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #67
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

It seems everyone except Manwë have read their role-PM's so you can count everyone as in and cognizant of the game having begun.

I realised Manwë said this already before Christmas:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwë in T-I-G thread
Well turns out i'll now be spending New Years in London and so won't be around the net from the 29th til the 5th, so count me out of any earlish starts!
So a modfire will not threathen him unless he is away from the game two Days in a row after January the 5th. Also, he will be mod-protected against any attempt to his life up to the 5th as he has notified us about his time-table problems early enough.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #68
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

As I promised in the game-thread, here are the ancient Greek thinkers Lommy, Greenie, Aganzir & Legate picked you to be from the deck of "Greek philosophers" cards (not all of them are actually philosophers, but who cares) for the purposes of role-lottery for me.

Eomer of the Rohirrim – Thales
elronds_daughter – Archimedes
Macalaure – Pythagoras
Shastanis Althreduin – Sapfo
Loslote – Pyrrhus of Epirus
Kitanna – Xenophon
wilwarin538 - Aesop
Nessa Telrunya – Diogenes
Pitchwife – Socrates
Satansaloser2005 – Aristophanes
Inziladun – Solon
Rikae – Pericles
Boromir88 - Plutarch
A Little Green – Alcibiades
Blind Guardian – Homer
Skip Spence – Epicurus
Mänwe – Plato
Valier – Bias of Priene
Legate of Amon Lanc – Parmenides
Thinlómien – Euripides
Aganzir – Heraclitus
Ozban – Herodotus
Cailín - Zeno
Kath - Aristotle

As said, there will be no relation between these picks and your actual roles, or any of these guys appearing in the narrations concerning any one of you (Sally clearly went down with the voice of Socrates toDay even if she was Aristophanes in the lottery and Pitchie was actually Socrates there).
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #69
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sorry for not voting toDay. A lot of unexpected stuff happening right before the deadline...

Quote:
Macalaure – Pythagoras
Yes!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #70
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
wilwarin538 - Aesop
That is so perfect!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #71
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
PeeWee.
I motion that this be added to the nickname glossary.

Also, you're all evil. *wails piteously*
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #72
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
If you want to pee me off royally, yes.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #73
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
If you want to pee me off royally, yes.
*snuggles you, is innocent*
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #74
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
PeeWee

Also, you're all evil. *wails piteously*
Hey, that was me!

Sorry, Pitch.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #75
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Hey, that was me!

Sorry, Pitch.
Never mind. And *snuggles sally too*
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #76
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I'm sorry for missing the vote today, there was an unexpected emergency because of bad weather. Thankfully everyone's ok, but I just got home now.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #77
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ah! I would've so loved to play in this game! Have fun everyone!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #78
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Just thought of reminding you about basically a self-evident thing: the narrations have no clues to any player's roles in what they say or do there. They serve only narrational purposes and even if they might have in them some characteristics of people and their RL- / BD-relations, there are no hints to the player's roles.

The only exceptions are those where "the truth of the role" is revealed in the tally (like in the last one Kit being the Hunter indeed - and her reason to withdraw rather than hang around a few Days).

Hi Eonwë! I hope you do enjoy following this. We'll meet hopefully in another game...
Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #79
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Although the dead don't talk, this one is a little rebellious -

I really enjoyed the game, it was a good one. Thanks everyone and keep it up! Good luck village.

PS. Love watching it all with a more enlightened perspective too.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #80
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
...oops. I missed DL by seconds. Rats. Nog, is there any terrible penalty?

Edit: And I should I just delete that post?

Last edited by elronds_daughter; 01-08-2011 at 04:05 PM.
elronds_daughter is offline   Reply With Quote