The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2003, 05:53 PM   #1
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield The Ring

There's something bothering me. How does the ring work? If Sauron put his essence into the ring, wouldn’t it just make him less powerful and more vulnerable? Unless it worked like a magnifying glass and amplified his powers....

So confusing [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
QN_VICTORIA
Pile O'Bones

QN_VICTORIA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow!! I'm surprised no one answered to this post.. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I was kind of wonder that myself, unless it was another thread and it got closed, but if someone could answer..I would appreciate it as well [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 09:37 PM   #3
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Sting

Sauron in the time of the LOTR 1-3 was a spirit, so he was just an eye. He mingled his own blood, so to speak, with the ring, so yes it did make him vulnreble, but he still retained his power, the ring is like a vessel that if was returned to him, he would be able to return to physical form.

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Um...I'm not sure Tolkien, or anyone else for that matter, delved into the physics of WHY things like magic worked. Originally, all the power of arts ("magic" as some call it) was good, yet Melkor turned his aside to dark purposes. Sauron learned under him, and though Melkor was banished from Middle-Earth, Sauron retained a good deal of his own magic. Why it worked in the ring...? I don't know! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:14 PM   #5
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Some thoughts on 'will', which might help make things clear as mud:

These days we seem to have a pretty weak concept of what the will is. Your will is what you use to stop yourself from eating an extra piece of chocolate cake, that kinda thing.

For Tolkien, the will is almost a physical entity. For example, Frodo struggles against this outside will (ultimately Sauron, though perhaps via ring and wraiths) telling him to put the ring on.

Gandalf tells Frodo that Sauron "let a great part of his own former power pass into it", and I imagine this would be largely related to his will, and his power to bring others under his will.
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:22 AM   #6
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gah, Fool of a hobbit! Here is a discussion for newbies and I went talkin' against my elders in the other discussions... [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
About magic and all that stuff, however, I remembered Galadriel said to Sam Gamgee "For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy." Some how, I don't feel that she means magic as much as the ability to manipulate things in a particular fashion unknown to common men or hobbits. So if Elven swords glow in the presence of orcs, and Glorfindel can REVEAL himself as a mighty elf-lord, does that mean that Elves are magical?
So Sauron, probably exercised much more control (psychic/spiritual/psychological) control over his brood of evil orcs, trolls and humans if he obtained the One ring, right? That is, those servants would breed more and become stronger and stuff...
Old 02-08-2004, 08:11 AM   #7
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Well, the Ring could not be a vessel to transform Sauron into more corporeal form, except in the movies. In the book, he had physical form the whole time, considerably more. I believe the ring was one of those harder to explain things. Technically you can just resort back to the inscription, "One Ring to Rule Them All." Like the Witch-King prophecy, this inscription gives Sauron potential power over Middle-Earth. Having the ring strengthens his power to influence everything else.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote