The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2003, 06:15 AM   #1
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
The Eye Our worst fears have come true: get ready to meet Arwen Warrior Princess!

I remember how before TTT we were all discussing the possible scenarios with Aragorn getting Andúril. We thought<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Arwen might bring it to him (but we thought, no, PJ wouldn't extend her THAT much)<BR><LI>He might have it already (intense analysis of screenshots proved the answer to be no)<BR><LI>I can't remember the rest, but please feel free to add points</UL><P>Well, the first appears to be true. And look, Arwen seems to be...in livery, suggesting...no, not...fighting?<P> <P>And here she is, clearly having just saved the world on her stolen horse, by overtaking Sam and Frodo, and casting the Rig into Oronduin herself...or not. But it doesn't look like she just sewed a banner. And wait, is that...no, it couldn't be, a DEAD ORC next to her? Or just a very old and dead Elrond? <P> <P>But I though that Éowyn was supposed to kill the orc...I'm sure you've seen that pic of her with blood on her hands, but none on her sword. Now, now. We can't have TWO heroines...and Éowyn got there first!<P>PJ, PJ. I had more faith in you. <P>I would like to finish with a song from Chicago:<BR><I>He had it coming,<BR>He had it coming,<BR>He only had himself to blame<BR>If you had been there,<BR>If you had seen it<BR>I betcha you would have done the same!</I><P>
Old 03-01-2003, 06:36 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*screams and runs*<P>i know they filmed some of Arwen at Helms Deep, but cant they just leave her out of it??? they must be on Arwen drugs or something. or shes killed peter jackson and taken over.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Those pictures are possibly test shots that were taken at some time. Since we won't know what's really in the film until it's shown, let's not get all tied up in knots over it, OK?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Nobody panic. Do you know what assuming does?<P>Yeah, I thought you did.<P>
Old 03-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hope Arwen helps Eowyn fight the Nazgul, then they fight over who actually killed it and end up wrestling in the mud together. That would be great filmmaking.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Now, now, just be calm...like Estelyn says, it could just be a test shot. And remember how worked up everyone got about the possibility of Arwen being at Helm's Deep? They must have felt rather silly afterwards.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Andephelien
Pile O'Bones

Andephelien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*AAAHHHHHHGGGG* Arwen, first the horse, now the sword????? Was Arwen even mentioned in the seccond book??<BR>---------------------------------------<P>"Arwen you thief, give me back my horse!" ~ Glorfindel
Andephelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I think my computer or internet connection must be screwed up because I don’t see in those pictures any indication that Arwen is fighting, killing orcs, or bringing Andúril to Aragorn.<P>Edit: Please post the website from which you got those pictures.<p>[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: Bill Ferny ]
Old 03-01-2003, 02:25 PM   #9
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was thinking that myself. All I see is Arwen and then Arwen a little dirty with a fuzzy background. I'm all for conspiracy theories, but is there any more info about this?
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 03:02 PM   #10
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

PJ is minding his own buisness when he feels a sword at his throut.<P>Liv Tyler: What's this? A director caught off his guard?<P>PJ: Liv. You're not supposed to be here anymore. Arwen has a very small part in the story.<P>Liv: We'll see about that. Since I have this sword with me you'll do what I say and expand my part.<P>PJ: Alright! Alright! You can have another love scene with Viggo.<P>Arwen: Hmm....No! I want to do some fighting!<P>Please don't get mad at me Liv Tyler fans. That was just for fun.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:07 PM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

that was great and i can just see it happening!
Old 03-01-2003, 03:13 PM   #12
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would like to join the voices asking people to calm down. I have a production book at home which interviews a number of the crew. Both the costume person and make-up people talked about how Arwen was originally written as a warrior princess, but shortly into production that was changed, necessitating drastic changes in costume and make-up on very short notice.<P>These pics are very likely (perhaps more than likely) to be early production shots.<P>H.C.<p>[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 03-01-2003, 07:12 PM   #13
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Those pictures can be found at:<BR><A HREF="http://www.ninecompanions.net/galleries/rotkgalleries/allpics_gallery_p1.html" TARGET=_blank>ninecompanions</A><p>[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 07:44 PM   #14
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One thing guys, I remember reading somewhere that Arwen was supposed to be a warrior princess type of person, but as they made the movies, it slowly changed into one that was closer to the book. I wouldn't be too worried about Arwen, she seemed to calm down quiet a bit in TTT, don't freak out until you have too.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:04 PM   #15
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mass hysteria isn't a good thing.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 03:37 PM   #16
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I've said it before and I'll say it again.<BR>Arwen as warrior princess is actually quite cool and troubles me far less than Aragorn as DontWannabe King, Theoden as cantakerous bitter old git, Elrond as Nasty Dad, and Gimli as belching idiot.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #17
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Sting

Arwen Imladris- do you mean in the movies? Because she was not supposed to be in the books. She would probably have been able to fight, but not done so unless she needed to.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #18
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I actually saw those pictures for the first time long ago, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Hopefully the people who are making the film realize that if they change it that much it will be a terrible mistake.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:50 PM   #19
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

Eeep. Ew. Yuck. There. I'm done.
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 08:06 PM   #20
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
No, guys, I was thinking about this, and since none of us have anything better to do with our lives, so why don't we all <I>freak out</I>? <P>Let's set off a riot! Let's boycott Aerosmith! Let's get on "The O'Reilly Factor" and blame the feminists! Let's organize a sit-in in front of New Line's Headquarters (wherever those may be)! And let's watch **** Cheney pin the whole thing on Saddam in the ensuing pandemonium! <P>Hell no, we won't go! (To see RotK, that is, until Peter Jackson learns to <I>submit</I>).
Old 03-07-2003, 07:20 AM   #21
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ho hum...Well I really HOPE it doesn't make it into the final cuts. I believe PJ had something similar lined up for Arwen in FoTR, but Liv Tyler was against it?

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:28 AM   #22
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Hehe. I can't believe that the first name of America's VP has been censored. Honestly.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:49 PM   #23
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

GaladrieloftheOlden: This <I>is</I> the movie forum is it not? Yes, in the <B>books</B> Arwen was definatly no warrior princess. That was more Eowyn's job. I think that if Arwen does turn into a warrior princess, she will be encrouching on Eowyn's role. I also think that if they were going to do that, they would have had her in there at helms deep by now. In other words, DON'T FREAK OUT.....Yet at least!
Old 03-07-2003, 06:46 PM   #24
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

harlindon has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Oh you guys stop freaking out!Don't Worry!<BR>Arwen won't be in th battles in ROTK. She will be there for Aragorns coranation. It is going to be a double wedding and coranation. Instead of her and the elves getting there like a month and a half later, they get there like just in time. That is what is going to happen. Soryy for the movie spolier but that is the latest lowdown.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:06 PM   #25
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hush, now, calm down...<BR>*picks up toys and puts them back in pram*<P>I heard that they toyed with an idea or two with regards to Arwen, but threw them all out, and I've also heard it's Eowyn that kills Mr Naz. A film mag towards the end of last year had mini-spoliers for RotK.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:46 AM   #26
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ay ay *shakes head mornfully* arg irksome pj. i had a theory that he would portray her as being allpowerful, and just shy of casting the ring into the Crack of Doom. Well looks like she is going to surpass all our misgivings and fears <P>Next thing you know they will have <I>Arwen Lives</I> badges. alas, *sighs* Pj is going to Mordor in a handbasket.<p>[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 03-16-2003, 09:10 PM   #27
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

Well, first off, there's nothing really wrong with mass chaos... the more chaos there is, the more order arises.<P>Just like with the other two movies everyone is going to hear the rumors and say that the movie is garbage, but we all know that as soon as the opening theme sings throughout the theatre and the openeing scene appears, all of that will disappear and we'll realise that everything will be all right.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:40 PM   #28
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wish you could've given me that assurance when I saw Faramir in TTT. No, really.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 06:17 PM   #29
ESTEN
Animated Skeleton

ESTEN has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ESTEN
Sting

I can understand that all books change when they are made intomovies, but sometimes I think he extends her role to put more of a woman presence into the movie then there would be if he followed the book. I am not saying that this makes it wrong or right, but I cna understand it
ESTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 11:38 AM   #30
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Does anybody think Arwen will be the one to take Narsil/Andruil to Aragorn. He has it in the third movie, I know that. I did see (actually in FOTR movie guide) a picture of Arwen with Galadriel In either Lorien or Rivendell, It looked like Lorien but had sunlight, Which doesn't mean it can't be Lorien. but whatever.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:58 PM   #31
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I think there is a very good chance of that. I don't think it will be the Dunedain because they have not been established in the films. If they suddenly showed up the average movie watcher would be asking, "who are these guys". I think that leaves Arwen as the leading candidate. Either that or a group of anonymous elves from Rivendell.<P>H.C.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:02 AM   #32
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm actually betting on the random elves from Rivendell, he seems to like those guys, and they are already established in the films as the random helper-outer guys (which is specifically what they aren't) hmmm, exept maybe they'll be from Mirkwood or somewhere else this time, who knows? we'll just have to wait and see what fast-ball pj's gonna throw.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:40 AM   #33
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"And remember how worked up everyone got about the possibility of Arwen being at Helm's Deep? They must have felt rather silly afterwards."<P><BR>well imo all that gettting worked up [ I signed a petition or 2] is prob a big factor in getting pj to back down.<P>Arwen as warrior princess is foolish and the less of it we see the better. I already saw enough with the 'flight to the ford' thank you. More than enough actually <P><BR>Scott said:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Just like with the other two movies everyone is going to hear the rumors and say that the movie is garbage, but we all know that as soon as the opening theme sings throughout the theatre and the openeing scene appears, all of that will disappear and we'll realise that everything will be all right.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>When the wash of tens of millions of dollars of special effects, excellent sets and dazzling perfomances by a few characters have receded......and then we will refelct on what we saw [especially the two towers] and realize our fears were right it WAS garbage!<P>[or at least more garbage than anything calling itself LotR has a right to have.]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 03:59 PM   #34
Darkside
Animated Skeleton

Darkside has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>....it WAS garbage!<P>[or at least more garbage than anything calling itself LotR has a right to have.]<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Oh Lindil! I couldn't agree more!<BR>I see no added value in having Super Arwen plastered all willy-nilly throughout the movies. I am a woman and I still don't understand the idea that she needed to be "enhanced" for the women in the audience.<P> Grrr... "Here's your sword, Dear. I hope you don't mind that I used it to fight my way to you."<p>[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Darkside ]
Old 03-24-2003, 05:46 PM   #35
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I am a woman and I still don't understand the idea that she needed to be "enhanced" for the women in the audience. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>She had to be enhanced because they wanted to play up the romance between her and Aragorn, not because she is a women. I don't think political correctness is part of the equation after all, they have Eowyn.<P>They needed to give her stuff to do to make her one of the main characters and to keep her familiar to the audience so that she doesn't appear the trophy bride at the end.<P>H.C.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:29 PM   #36
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

All we need is a well placed orc with a pike. Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!<P>Now you are asking: Why did she post to say THAT?<P>Moderator Estelyn comes..."Out vile jelly!" she cries, and I have naught left but the cases! <P>Scared? Gooood. My plan to take over the world is unfolding! <P>I will retire to my cottage now.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:45 PM   #37
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> When the wash of tens of millions of dollars of special effects, excellent sets and dazzling perfomances by a few characters have receded......and then we will refelct on what we saw [especially the two towers] and realize our fears were right it WAS garbage!<P>[or at least more garbage than anything calling itself LotR has a right to have.]<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I coudn't disagree more. I, for one, will never view these film <B>adaptations</B> as garbage. Not only do I consider them to be pretty good films in their own right, I will always be grateful to PJ and co for bringing ME to life in much the way that I have always imagined it. And the fact that they exist, and I enjoy them, does not impair my (separate and distinct) enjoyment of the books in any way. Not the greatest films ever made, no. And not facsimiles of the books, granted. But definately not garbage by a long way.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:27 PM   #38
Darkside
Animated Skeleton

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> They needed to give her stuff to do to make her one of the main characters and to keep her familiar to the audience so that she doesn't appear the trophy bride at the end.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>HC, I understand that point. I just don't think that she needed to turn into ARWEN Battle Mistress of Middle Earth. (use loud superhero voice) I think in the Fiasco at the Ford scene ( ) she replaced both Glorfindel <I>and</I> Frodo. That whole "come and claim him" nonsense took a very important scene away from Frodo and I don't think his chracter ever recovered from that.<BR> <BR>I am very grateful that she wasn't at Helm's Deep. I might have thrown something at the screen if she had been. But that sillines with the horse and Aragorn was so contrived! It just didn't do anything for the story. All they had to do was show Aragorn thinking about times shared between them. She didn't need to have a real part in TTT. And she certainly doesn't need to get all bucky again in RotK. <P>
Old 03-25-2003, 12:32 PM   #39
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

And that's a valid argument. I was just making the point that her role needed to be expanded and for non-political reasons. People are free to think of other ways in which this could have been accomplished.<P>I found the scenes between her and Elrond likely one of the slowest and most awkward moments in Two Towers, so it's not like I'm an Arwen fan here. However, in my opinion, the chase to the Ford is so gorgeous that my response to it would be, "Glorfindel who? " and the shot when her and the nine wraiths draw swords is so spectacular I could frame it and hang it on my wall. That, along with the shot of Gandalf riding into Isengard and the Ring Wraiths gliding through the Prancing Pony, are among my favourite shots in the whole series to date. This has nothing to do with plot or character, it's pure aesthetics.<P>Hey, but that's just me.<P>H.C.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:16 PM   #40
Darkside
Animated Skeleton

Sting

And that is why beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder! <P>I am glad you found things to love, and it's always nice to post with someone of an opposing view that is nice and articulate! I hope RotK is what you hope it to be, Arwen and all.