The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2003, 10:52 PM   #1
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Question prologue screw-up?

Galadriel, in her speech at the beginning of FotR, says that "there are none who live that remember the tale." (or something close to that.) But that's actually a huge contradiction. She was born before all of the stuff with the rings happened, and I'm sure she knows the history of the rings. So SHE knows the "tale", and she's still alive. I wonder if the moviemakers realized that. Maybe they just put it in there to make it more dramatic. <P>Did anybody else notice this? Or am I just completely off my rocker? (By the way, I know this has nothing essential to it. It's just something that's been bugging me for a while. Sorry for babbling.)
Old 03-15-2003, 12:13 AM   #2
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think maybe it's saying that now no-one lives who remembers it. But that bugged me too, cos I mean Elronds still alive and he fought in the war! And like you said for drama too.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 02:17 AM   #3
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

She must have been referring to Númenórë. <p>[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 04:09 PM   #4
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Yes, it's for dramatic effect and no, it doesn't make any logical sense.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:19 PM   #5
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It makes enough sense, given the assumption that LOTR was written as a history preceding our time. After all, who, if that had happened, would remember it now?
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 08:09 PM   #6
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i seen it as talkin about our time i.e. the people watchin the film dont remember the events of tlotr
Old 03-16-2003, 08:43 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah she could be talking about the mortal men in general. Or that the tale of the Ring is not general knowledge. She and Elrond were kind of special, but if you just ran into an random elf or man while wondering through Middle Earth, they probably could tell you nothing about it.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:07 AM   #8
Dunlondion
Pile O'Bones

Dunlondion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think she is just being dramatic. she could be talking about men though, or how the great deads of old and the ring have been almost forgotten.
Dunlondion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 05:23 AM   #9
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Logic 101.<BR>The character who is talking remembers the events. Thus, logically, she cannot say "no-one now remembers..." <BR>Correctly she should have said "few now remember" or even "only I now remember". <P>Quibbling,perhaps. But you wouldn't have caught Tolkien writing a line like that, that's for sure.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #10
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

She would not have said that "I" in the prologe that would have took her to be more than just telling the tale. <P>In the book only limited few remembered it. None in Gondor, Arnor, Rohan, Few in Lorien and Imladris. And saying the word "few" would have made it less dramatic.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:51 PM   #11
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Ruler of the Frogs has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think that when Galadriel says that she means that 'none now live who remember it' as in the mortal men of OUR time. Of 2003. I think she is implying that LotR is an actual event in a part of our history that we have forgotten.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:12 PM   #12
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ...much that once was is lost, for none now live to remember it. It began with the forging of the Great Rings.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think she actually means that the froging of the Rings is not remembered by anybody living. Wasn't it only Celebrimbor, who was either dead or in the West, and some other Elven-smiths of Eregion, who were dead, that could have been there? Oh, oops. And Sauron. Frogot that little detail.... Well, it does sound good, and I don't think PJ counted on having people look into and check up on every line of his movies.