The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Narya Our Stuff

Guys,

I've been wondering,

Do you own anything that could have come from Middle Earth?

For example, my boyfriend thinks I'm a huge dork for even admitting this, but I do actually own an "elvish" ring. My friend claims to have bought it for me on the steets of Kathmandu (she's Nepalese), but I know the truth! The ring is incredibly light, and yet it appears to be made of tougher material than any of my other, supposedly more glamorous jewerly. And it's a cross between whimsical and clean and simple - almost as if someone looked at those Alan Lee illustrations and decided, "I'll design jewerly like that!"

I wear it for good luck, particularly on Mondays, when I am in a homicidal mood. It helps.

Here's a little picture of me with it. You can't see the details very well, but I imagine you get the gist:

Old 11-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
That ring was probably a yeti's.

Either way, I dont own anything that out of the ordinary. I do have this one sword that I think I am really cool for owning...dont worry, I am not a LARP'er.(live-action role playing)
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What's wrong with LARPing?

I have a moonstone ring that I think has a very elvish feel like that; it was my great aunt's. I'll have to find my picture of it.

But actually, I tend to gravitate towards furniture that gives me this Middle-earth sort of feel - mostly leafy sorts of things. I recently bought a lamp at K-mart of all places that is like a leafy stem. I also was using a table actually meant for outdoors...patio/garden furniture, but hey... as a bed-side table. It's green with long leaves and gold coils that are placed kind of like flowers. Then I bought a dresser that had to go on that side of my bed, and the little leafy table is sitting pratically in my doorway.

I still don't know why I buy these things.

And though 'leafy' doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Middle-earth, it's that feel of the importance of nature (not that I don't feel that in "this"/the "real" world, too) and how elves just like trees, I suppose.

I also found this nice paint stencil that I used to decorate my bed frame and a chest. That reminds me a bit more of the Eowyn's jewelry in the movies, though, rather than elves.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

LARPing...well, I just see it as a little extreme...

If you are a kid, I dont think that it is weird. But once you are 20 and you are playing with plastic swords with your friend who is pretending to ride his enchanted horse...then I think its kind of weird. D&D is one thing. Pretending you are Aragorn is another.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
Old 11-28-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
LARPing...well, I just see it as a little extreme...
Why? It's as weird as improvisation theatre, or as D&D and other table/board/whatever-you-call-them RPGS. I've never tried LARPing, but I'd love to.

Anyway, ahem, I do have a short bow and five broken arrows made by my aunt's husband when I was nine or something like that. They're really ME'ish.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #6
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

For $30 dollars of my hard earned cash, I got a replica Mouth of Sauron helm. Rock on.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:31 AM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have a murano glass dip pen which I think is quite elvish, though I haven't consistently aquired the knack of writing with it. I think it is the combination of beauty and function that does it....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I own two 600 year swords from Transylvania with inscriptions on their blades
Even though they're not the kind of swords that were used during the war of the ring, they might have come from the Fourth Age...too bad the inscriptions aren't ME-related though
Old 04-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well, considering I used to come to these forums back in 2004 before my unwarranted and irresponsible three year ban I own a sense of immense personal failiure. Just like Boromir88 and that other dude who banned. You know the one I mean. The one who got banned unjustly by the mods. The one you guys didn't want to get banned. Oh, what was his name? Ah, well, doesn't matter. But I am sure that wherever he is he feels good knowing that you all forget about him and threw him out in his moment of need. Good work But all joking aside people, I own a sword which looks incredibly old. It could have easily belonged to one of the Rohirrim based on its inelegant design and well worn nature.

Last edited by Gothbogg the Ripper; 04-01-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Gothbogg the Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
I own two 600 year swords from Transylvania with inscriptions on their blades
Well, that is something! You really can afford to be a bit proud of them... Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Anyway, ahem, I do have a short bow and five broken arrows made by my aunt's husband when I was nine or something like that. They're really ME'ish.
Yeah. My sister's husband is a smith and has a go for this kind of stuff (mostly to the hunter-gatherer cultures, the plains indians and the japanese culture).

At summertime we make quarterstaff-fights with weapons he has made from special wood in our summer-cottage. It's fun even though it really hurts badly when you let the other surprise you or make even a tiny mistake... But that's the way to learn!

Mostly these fights take place during the nights when everything is light here in Finland. It can be a sunrise-match at 02AM in the middle of an awakening nature beside the lake. Somehow I love it even though my sensible side says it's just plain stupid...

But even if the weapons we use are not centuries old, they're real in a way that they are made in accordance with the techniques and the raw-materials of some earlier times.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I abducted this clear transparent raindrop-shaped pendant from my mum's collection; it's not glass, it feels like plastic, but when sunlight passes through it, it turns a sort of patchy violet. I used to call it my Silmaril, but I'm sure the Silmaril's not like that.

My mum said someone who went to Vietnam gave it to her, but it could have come somewhere from ME. I don't know where exactly, though.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote