The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Shelob's sting & Frodo's mithril coat

This has been bothering me...<P>How can PJ explain this? How could Shelob's sting penetrate Frodo's mithril coat, when the Cave troll in Moria was not able to even make him bleed with his spear?<P>Continuity mistake?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:45 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

It's explained in great detail in this thread: <P><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002585" TARGET=_blank>Branded in the Tower of Cirith Ungol?</A>
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

yeah but still its MITHRIL!!!! You cant pentrate that stuff....
Old 01-27-2004, 12:14 AM   #4
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>yeah but still its MITHRIL!!!! You cant pentrate that stuff....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> As I postulate on the thread that <B>Finwe</B> has so kindly linked above, it doesn't have to penetrate it. If Shelob attacks from above and front, then she can get around the vest from the top. I don't think she could penetrate it straight through, but she could probably divert it by a proper angle of attack. In the book, the wound is at the back of the neck, which also is unprotected by mithril. It just goes to prove Murphy's Law in Middle Earth (at least with regards to Frodo and injuries)! <P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:55 AM   #5
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

I always figured that she stung him <I>above</I>the neckline of the vest. That scene was particularly weird for me because, even though the very concept of a giant spider is fantastic, the movie-makers mixed up his anatomy.<P>For a spider, the stinger is in the front and the spinarette in the back were Shelob's stinger was. The really strange thing is, in one of the movie books I saw, there is a picture of Shelob with the right anatomy, even though it's a movie picture.<P>Hmmm...I obviously nitpick too much for my own good. I'm starting to wonder how many PETA lawsuits PJ is going to have on his hands after Shelob's abuse at the hands of mean ol' Samwise Gamgee. A paradox indeed.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

If PETA cares about spiders that big, then I'll eat my embroidered bedroom slippers! Once you get to a certain size, <I>especially</I> if you're a spider, you do NOT need to be taken care of my PETA!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote