Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #361
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Harreld and Garreth

"B-but, there are two of you," Ayeth stammered.

"Why, so there are..." mused Garreth. The twins eyed each other, brows lowering.

Suddenly one of the lasses at the next table laughed aloud. Leaning over, she whispered loudly Ayeth. "Have ye ever noticed, miss, that when ye least expect it, yon brawny adventurous sorts arrive? Methinks it might be planned a'purpose."

Ayeth giggled helplessly while the twins blushed.

The young woman said, "If my friends here don't mind, you are all welcome to join us."

"Aye," Garreth said, breaking into a grin, "we'll join you." He glanced at Ayeth. "That is, if the lass wishes it." Ayeth nodded, picking up her plate. "It's decided then."

"Keep these two in hand, then, will you, Saeryn?" said Bęthberry, who winked, and made off to the kitchen.

"Mind you, Harreld," Garreth said as they came over, "it was I as spoke to the lassie first."

Harreld rolled his eyes as he took a seat between Eodwine and Saeryn. "Very well, brother. Seems there's an uncommonly plentiful supply of young lassies to keep us company this morning."

Saeryn aimed the three prongs of her fork at Harreld meaningfully. "Now don't ye be getting any silly ideas about me!"

Wide eyed, Harreld raised both hands in a gesture of surrender. The two men and the hobbit chuckled merrily.

Garreth saw to Ayeth's seating, next to the waifish girl, and sat between Ayeth and the hobbit. "Now then! Let us have some introductions! Seems we're all new faces to each other! A most happy omen, that!"
Old 02-13-2005, 08:08 PM   #362
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

"Introductions, eh?" Eodwine leaned back thoughtfully. "Well, I'm Eodwine, this fella is Hama, and my friend here is Falco. These lovely lasses are the ladies Gudryn and Saeryn."

"Why Eodwine, you scoundrel," interjected Saeryn with a wide grin and a wink, "You make me sound like some noble lady fit for naught but needle-work and looking pretty."

The twins' eyes grew. Harreld regained his flirtatiousness, leaning slightly towards Saeryn. "Well miss, you don't strike me as the type fit for just needle-work, although yer a mighty pretty lady and I'd venture you look it no matter what you're doing."

Saeryn's cheeks flushed, a wisp of hair coming loose from it's braid to fall into her eyes. She pushed it aside laughing. "Pretty is as pretty does, as my mother..." she trailed off, looking suddenly sorrowful.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #363
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Eodwine and Falco

"Why so sad, Lady Saeryn?" Eodwine asked.

She frowned, then brightened quickly. "I think it is not my turn for tale telling, so that will have to wait. Who has yet to offer a story?"

"I would hear more of Gudryn's tale, if she feels strengthend enough," Falco said, puffing on his pipe.

"One thing she has said," Eodwine put in, "if I may share it, miss?" Gudryn nodded once. "There is a ruffian who bears the name, Rand, and he has used the girl ill. She has run from him and has sought the safety of this inn."

"I - I fear this inn is not enough safety against him, sirs," the girl said softly. "He is bigger than all of you.... and ... I fear for you if he comes here."

The men sat up straighter in their chairs. "Who is this scoundrel?" Garreth asked.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #364
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

After successfully foisting the attention onto someone else, Saeryn's own was diverted to Gudryn. "Why Lady... please don't be afraid. With all of these swords to guard you, as well as the Inns security (which I am assured is quite good), I am sure it will all turn out."

"Well said, Lady Saeryn!" cried Harreld.

Flatly denying her heritage, They don't need to know..., Saeryn replied. "I'm no lady, Master Harreld... just a lass out for a bit of an adventure." I've always been a good liar... let us hope that they don't see through this...
Old 02-14-2005, 11:15 PM   #365
peral
Animated Skeleton

peral has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Ayeth

Ayeth's eyes narrowed as Saeryn denied being of noble birth. Although she was willing enough to trust this girl, something at the back of her mind kept at her.

She's lying, it said, floating around screaming in her mind.

What is it any of my business if she is? argued Ayeth.

Liars cannot be trusted, the voice hissed back.

Ayeth pushed these thoughts to the back of her mind and turned her attention back to Gudryn.

"Aye, I do not believe there is cause for worry. I'm sure there are enough men here who would aid us, should the need arise," she assured Gudryn, placing her small hand of her arm.

Last edited by peral; 02-14-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #366
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

At Saeryn's denial, she heard a sharp intake of breath. She glanced over in time to see Ayeth's eyes narrow in suspicion. Oh Eru above, she knows. Hiding her fear, Saeryn schooled her face to an expression of innocence. Hama watched the silent transaction with latent interest. "Ah yes, a story. Eodwine, was it not your turn last night?" Saeryn asked. "Perhaps a yarn would lighten the mood..." Looking towards Ayeth, Saeryn spoke to the girl. "Miss Ayeth, would you accompany me to my room for a moment? I've a bag of sweets that these men-folk might enjoy." Hiding her apprehension, Ayeth rose beside Saeryn.

Eodwine watched with curiosity as they walked away, heads together, talking almost silently. Seeing that Saeryn wished for privacy, he immediately dove into a story. "Ah, so a story," he though aloud, stroking his chin for emphasis. "Ah, yes.. T'was naught but a few monthes past as I was walking down a bubbling brook..."

His voice faded as the young women left the room. Whispering urgently, Saeryn leaned close to Ayeth. "Miss, I can see in your eyes that you do not trust me, or if you do, you do not believe me. In attempt to make this not so, you must hear the truth, but please, for the sake of us all, do not repeat what I say. Yes, Miss Ayeth, I am of noble birth. I am hiding it for the safety of everyone that I meet, and if those men find out, than so much the worse."

"You mean to imply they would do you harm?" Ayeth asked, eyes wide.

"Not at all, m'lady. I mean to insinuate that if they knew just why I arrived at this Inn yesterday, exhausted, rain-soaked, and afraid, than they would set out immediately on an adventure to fix the ills that sent me here." Quickly Saeryn continued, still whispering. "For all that we have all just met, I trust these men with my life. But I do not trust their chivalry... it is too much of them for them to ignore it through my will alone. That is why they cannot know my history. Please, Ayeth, do not tell?"

Saeryn looked beseechingly into the other girl's eyes. Ayeth looked back, seeing no longer a liar, but a young women, barely a year older than herself, afraid. What, Ayeth thought, could have driven such a strong-minded woman from her home and title?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:09 AM   #367
peral
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril Ayeth

Ayeth laid her small hand upon Saeryn's arm comfortingly.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me," she assured the girl.

She looked into the other girl's eyes and she saw fear. She, Ayeth, knew what fear was, but it was a different kind of fear mirrored in Saeryn's eyes. It was a fear of death. Ayeth had only known the fear of losing someone and being left alone, but this was different. This was a fear that Ayeth prayed she would never have to experience herself.

"If ever you need a friend," she whispered, "I'll be there for you." Why was she saying this to a girl she had met less than an hour hence? Giving her loyalty and friendship to a person she hardly knew. She, Ayeth, wasn't strong, hardly able to protect herself let alone another person, so what had possessed her to say that? Yet she thought the glimpsed a shadow of gratefulness in Saeryn's eyes and she felt better once more.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:52 PM   #368
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

"I'll be there for you."

It echoed in Saeryn's head as a drip of water in the deepest caverns of the mountains. When had the lady ever had a true friend? The closest that came was Saeryn's twin brother Degas; the only member of her family she had contact with. When Saeryn's noble parents had died, her brother Fenrir, as hot-headed as he was large, tried to keep the four siblings together. His gruff affection was nothing compared to their parents adoration. Caelwyn, some five years older than the twins, had bolted three years back, leaving the broken family in despair and dishonour. Fenrir had decided that it was the interaction with "the common sort", as he called them, that had driven Caeli away. Henceforth, Saeryn and Degas were strictly banned from contact with any below their stations. Dressed in gowns with handmaidens and a seemingly unending parade of suitors, the once happy Saeryn began to hate the world. Degas, always her confidante, watched her grow paler, sicker... Eventually, seeing that his beloved twin would never flourish kept inside a gilded cage, he sent her away. She had travelled since, ever dreading the day that Fenrir found her; dreading the day she was forced again into gowns and dancing. What the lady Eowyn's fame had done for other noble ladies, Saeryn was excluded from. Fenrir was a conservative of the most stubborn variety.

"I'll be there for you." A sincere voice; an honest girl. The men in the hall cared for Saeryn's personal happiness as her former guardians never had. They knew almost nothing about her, but they would rush to her aid at the earliest sign of trouble. A single tear fell from Saeryn's eye, rolling slowly down her pale cheek. Clasping Ayeth's hand, Saeryn finally whispered a reply. "You've no idea what your offer means, friend, nor how much it is appreciated. I am in your debt. If there is anything..." She let the offer trail off, but by Ayeth's face, could tell it was understood.

Wiping her eye with the back of her hand, Saeryn composed herself. "Now before those menfolk come looking, let us get something sweet to appease their patience." She winked at Ayeth and began to pull myriad items from her bags.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #369
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Gudryn

Lady Ruthven had given Gudryn a brush that morning to comb out her tangles, she was thankful for now she did not seem so petty in front of these strangers.

A shawl was draped around her to cover up her rags, the women still couldn't find anything that fitted her properly, especially with her long legs and thin build. Everyone was chatting away happily while she remained still and quiet trying to take it all in.

"I would hear more of Gudryn's tale, if she feels strengthend enough," Falco said, puffing on his pipe.

"One thing she has said," Eodwine put in, "if I may share it, miss?" Gudryn nodded once, her auburn hair cast down around her freckled face. "There is a ruffian who bears the name, Rand, and he has used the girl ill. She has run from him and has sought the safety of this inn."

"I - I fear this inn is not enough safety against him, sirs," the girl said softly raising her head slightly. "He is bigger than all of you.... and ... I fear for you if he comes here."

The men sat up straighter in their chairs. "Who is this scoundrel?" Garreth asked.

Gudryn looked to the one twin with momentary apprehension, but she saw the sincerity in his eyes. "Sirs, I must confess to you that I have no memory of my parents for it has more than likely been beaten out of me, whether they died or abandoned me I will never know. And that is how Rand came by me, though I know not why he took me in", she sighed and a shudder went up her back as she tried to suppress a cough.

"Why Lady... please don't be afraid. With all of these swords to guard you, as well as the Inns security (which I am assured is quite good), I am sure it will all turn out."

She smiled at Saeryn despite her uncertainty, their words are noble but his rage stronger and if he finds me here....

"Well said, Lady Saeryn!" cried Harreld as the others nodded in agreement, "I'm no lady, Master Harreld... just a lass out for a bit of an adventure." Gudryn noticed the behaviour of the younger girl and of Saeryn but said nothing as they walked out of the room, she stayed with the men.

It was decided that because the day was still young and Gudryn was not yet strong enough that dark tales should be saved till later. So Eodwine spoke up th break the silence.

"Ah, so a story," he though aloud, stroking his chin for emphasis. "Ah, yes.. T'was naught but a few months past, I was walking down a bubbling brook...".
Old 02-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #370
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Boots Eodwine's story

"Ah, yes.. T'was naught but a few months past, I was walking down a bubbling brook... well, not walking, but trotting, for I was on horse. So there I was, in the foothills of Lebennin .... well, not a few months past, but just a couple weeks ago, as a matter of fact...."

Eodwine paused and looked from face to face a moment to gauge their interest; they were still listening with due patience.

"The brook moved quickly down the steep hill I trotted down ... well, it wasn't really Lebennin, come to think of it, but somewhat west of the Gap of Rohan, truth be told. At any rate, there I was, meandering along with the stream, when out jumped a .... well, nothing really jumped out, exactly, but the wind did pick up and blew a stick in front of Flithaf's nose and started him, and he shivered."

Eodwine stopped. Falco was puffing on his pipe, watching Eodwine with raised brows, looking none too trusting for some reason.

"Well, shivered isn't the right way to put it, not really."

Eodwine picked up his rather heavy looking cup of drink, which he wished had more hop in it, and took a sip, peeking over the brim at his listeners. Harreld was drumming his fingers on the table, a longsuffering expression on his face.

"He bucked me clean off."

"That's more like it," Falco said around his pipe.

"I fell head first into a puddle. Well, not-"

"Oh no you don't!" Garreth said. "You said puddle, so a puddle it is!"

"Well, so be it then," Eodwine smirked. "I fell head first into a two foot deep puddle."

"No puddle can be two foot deep," Garreth protested. "That has to be a .... um, what would you call it?" He looked to Harreld.

"Do not ask me! You were the one said it had to be a puddle!"

"Well, how wide was it?" Hama asked. "Five foot about?"

"Nay," said Falco. "Big enough to hold him toe to curls, and then some."

"Trough, then." offered Garreth.

"Pond," Harreld raised the ante.

"Muck hole," Hama grinned.

"Hog wallow," Falco grinned.

"Nothing of the kind!" Eodwine protested.

"It would have been had any hogs been there."

"And they were not, so no more about hogs. Pool it was, or pondlet, if you must."

"Pondlet it is," said Garreth, and he was ayed around the table.

Eodwine took the moment to wink at Gudryn, whose eyes bounced back from speaker to speaker trying to keep up with the badinage. She smiled back at him.

"Anyway, so there I was in the pondlet, and this halfling happened by at just that moment, and threw me a rope, as if I needed it."

"You was half drownded." Falco insisted.

"Nothing of the kind. I stayed put so you could feel useful."

"Nonsense!"

The two girls, Saeryn and Ayeth, walked back in the room, curious expressions on their faces over what they had missed.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-22-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:51 AM   #371
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Ruthven cackled gruffly and the manner of her laughter surprised the young girl Gudryn.

"Heh," the old woman said, "Ye'd best never call me lady, as around these parts the rag dealer don't warrant much respect, unless it is to scrabble up some spare cash in a deal with her. But I thank 'e for your regard and won't hold it against ye."

The girls were aghast. What! Would the title of Lady carry something disrespectful? Of poor repute? Ruthven caught the nature of their thoughts in their faces.

"'Tis not all who hanker after the manner of ladyships, young lasses. Why, there's much howdy doing and sweeping things under the table to being a lady. And much putting on airs and fine manners that don't do justice to some of the more honourable folks who don't pretend." Ruthven nodded and pulled out a corncob pipe, tapping it against the table and knocking the dead ash out onto her emptied plate.

"W-wh-why, isn't it the finest thing to be a lady?" Ayeth asked.

Saeryn spoke up, perhaps a tad too quickly for her own interests in keeping her story a secret. "There's limits and lost opportunity to being a lady."

The twins stared at her for this comment while Eodwine calmly raised his eyebrow as a way of marking his interest. Falco was so surprised that he let his pipe go out.

"They's full of what you might say is mucky pride, a watered down thing from the real one, perhaps like the muck which yon Falco saved Eodwine from. My apologies, lads, I dinna mean to interrupt your story. Go on wi' it."

Behind everyone's shoulder the Innkeeper appeared, her feet having moved with the calm, quiet grace she was known for. "Aye indeed, there's ladies and then there's ladies. You can ask Ruthven for her stories of some later, but for now I wish to hear the conclusion of sorts which I'm sure Eodwine has for us." She took a seat beside the twins with a slight nod.

Ruthven, having tamped down some tobbacy in her pipe, had calmly lit it, blowing small puffs of smoke over the table, and then offerred to relight Falco's dead embers. The lasses would have stared at her, for they had never seen a woman smoke before, but they were too polite and embarassed now over what fine manners might or might not be, to say anything.

"We've three now who've missed the fabulous tale of the pondlet or the hollow and the miraculous aid and marvellous rise of the noble Messenger, Ayeth, Saeryn and Bethberry," she intoned between puffs, " Eodwine, bring them up to date on your tale. "
Old 02-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #372
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Berating herself silently, Saeryn grinned widely at the group. "Ruthven has it exactly. Have ye never had to serve under an infuriating lord or lady whose only importance is what they seem to believe they deserve?"

"Aye," added Hama. "You'd be surprised at how many high-rankers don't have the constitution for the job."

"Indeed... being of high rank is a job and a half... from what I've heard." Saeryn blushed faintly. The group looked at her curiously, but as she continued to make no move to speak, they politely pretended not to notice the girl's curious reactions to the mentions of nobility. "You cannot simply live the life without paying the price... nobles ought be spending time with commoners to learn what they really need, as opposed to taxing them to pay for a silken dress."

"I'll drink to that!" came a cheerful voice from the door. The table's occupants glanced over to the unfamiliar face. A handsome man of medium height, his broad shoulders carried a sense of inborn power that tended to make impressionable young girls swoon. A light dusting of freckles covered his flushed cheeks. The young man's hazel eyes swept the room, coming to rest upon the only occupant trying valiantly to pretend he was not there.

Ruthven cackled to herself, seeing Saeryn's discomfort. "Ay, m'girl, now there be another handsome young lad. Shall I claim him, or would ye like him yerself?"

Forcing herself to meet the young man's eyes, identical to her own down to the most insignificant fleck, Saeryn's face went dead white. Struggling from the bench, she fled the Great Hall, barely managing to keep the contents of her stomach where they belonged.

"Saeryn!" he called, much alarmed. Trying to follow, he was stopped as the men of the table stood, blocking his way.

Eodwine stepped forward, anger and worry lining his face. "I do not know who you are, or what your business is, but ye've obviously upset the girl, and ye'd better not be thinking of following."

The man made to move around him, intent on going to Saeryn. The twins stepped forward, flanking him. Eodwine spoke quietly. "Do not even try."
Old 02-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #373
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Eodwine and company

The youth looked Eodwine over with a somewhat haughtier look than expected.

"Who is it that suggests threats against one of the Helmingas?"

Eodwine raised a brow. "We have only your word of that. Your garb, gear, and actions say you are not of such noble lineage."

"Even so, I am." The youth looked Eodwine up and down. "You have not yet answered my question. Who are you?"

"He talks like one of such lineage," Garreth said, "I'll give 'im that."

The youth flicked Garreth a glance and stood, feet well apart, facing Eodwine.

"Very well. I am Eodwine of the Gap, messenger of King Eomer. The girl you chased is a friend of mine. You still must name yourself and answer for your rashness before I show you the respect due your claim."

The youth lifted his chin so he could look down his nose at the taller Rohirrim. "I am Dégas of the Folde, and you stand between me and my twin sister."

"What!" Eodwine in surprise.

Falco strolled in front of Eodwine and looked up at Dégas, measuringly, as he puffed on his pipe. With a disgusted grimace, Dégas waved at the smoke assaulting his nostrils.

Falco took the pipe from his mouth and said, "You still haven't proved nothing but that you can make big claims. Show us who you are and maybe we'll be kind, and then only if the lady Saeryn says so. What say you?"

"Aye," Harreld grated. "What say you to that?"
Old 02-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #374
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Dégas looked daggers at the men in front of him. He had travelled many miles from Minas Tirith in search of his twin. There was news she had to hear, and only from he would it be received. With the most incredible amount of luck, the young man had found her by chance, walking into an Inn in time to hear her voice. Glaring at Eodwine, he reached for his sword.

"Ah lad, you'd not be wanting to take on us all would ye?" Eodwine warned him.

"Bite your tongue man. You asked for proof, I give it freely, though for what reason my noble sister should be accounted your friend I may never know." Dégas drew his blade, flipping it deftly and handing it to Eodwine hilt first. "You have my blade. If you look to the hilt, you will notice, if you are truly my lady sister's friend, that hers is of identical make. You will also please to notice, sir, that you are now armed and I am not. Would one desiring to inflict harm pass over his only weapon of defense so freely?"

Stepping from behind, Ruthven grabbed the sword from Eodwine's hands, running knarled fingers along the flat, running ancient eyes along it's length. "'Tis the same all right, as I well saw last night." Dégas' eyes widened. He had helped his sister escape their brother... for her to come to be in an Inn at a table with people she barely knew? Where was her sense of propriety? He knew of her love of the common man, but he had always thought of it more as a theoretical love.

"Do I have your trust?" he asked shortly.

"No." Dégas' eyes flashed with impatient anger. Eodwine continued. "Lad, for all that you look like the lady, why would she run from her twin, if that be what you really are?"

"Sirs, ladies," he bowed. "It is of the utmost importance that I see my sister. If you refuse to allow me to see my own kin... I beg you to bring her to me."

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 02-25-2005 at 10:19 AM. Reason: tweaking location
Old 02-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #375
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

"Gentleman and good people all," intoned a voice clear with dignity and command, though not with noble hauteur. It was the Innkeeper. Bethberry stepped forward.

Dégas, if you will, please respect the rules of this Inn. It is a noble Inn with the longest and finest history in Edoras. You prove yourself honourable by passing on your sword, but do not think you can march in here and make demands upon the patrons. Or on myself."

"Who are you, woman?" asked the young man.

Eodwine's eyes flashed at the insolence and the twins rose in anger, sputtering, and Falco, why, he harummpffed in his best manner.

Bethberry raised her hand to her friends and looked the young man squarely in the face.

"Who am I indeed. It is a good question. One that many here could not answer. Yet they judge me and accept me on my manners and behaviour to them, and not by my history. I bid you show us similar courtesy."

"I beg your pardon, Madam. Where is the Innkeeper?" replied the boy, stung but not giving way his ground of self assurance.

"Where is she indeed," Bethberry remarked with a smile. "Perhaps you will sit down and show your good intentions by being a good patron of this inn. Order some ale or mead or warm drink, even a plate to fill your belly, and make the efforts of the staff here worthwhile. Give them your coin that they may go home this evening with reward for their labours. And perhaps then you will find a friendlier response to your concerns."

At which point Ruthven caught Bethberry's eye, nodded, and then wispered to Ayeth and Gudryn, "Let Saeryn know that she is not forced to make an appearance unless she wishes it under the auspices of the Innkeeper."
Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #376
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Frodides heard the raised voices and paused in her work, a little frown flickering over her face. For some time she had been listening to the faint sound of talk and laughter, and this change was abrupt, and unpleasant. Though she had no doubt that Bethberry would handle the situation well, Frodides was thankful that the children were all out of doors, and not hanging about the Common Room. That is, all but Maercwen, who had returned to help her mother with the cleaning.

"Maercwen, m'dear," said Frodides, "set down your work and go see what is amiss in the Common Room. Perhaps Bethberry will want some assistance, even if it is merely to bring a plate of food for some new guest."

Maercwen dried her hands and left, pausing a moment at the kitchen door to survey the Common Room. There seemed nothing very wrong. There were several men and girls, and they showed no attitude of trouble, save that their faces were rather dark. Bethberry stood among them, with the attitude of firmness and courtesy that was so common in her. Maercwen could not help but reflect on the previous day, when the twins had been fighting. She had spoken sharply to them to make them stop. They had stopped, but, observing the little scene before her, Maercwen wondered if would not have been better to speak to them with firmness, yet also with kindness as well.

She approached Bethberry and murmured low in her ear: "Miss Bethberry, my mother heard the raised voices, and she wonders if there is anything we might to do assist you."
Old 02-25-2005, 12:34 PM   #377
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Ayeth and Gudryn had risen swiftly and followed after Saeryn, with not a little movement from Dégas towards them, but Garreth and Harreld held firm in his path, each somewhat anxious to outdo the other in terms of firmness of resolve, particularly as the girls' eyes, and there was some needling of elbows which ended only with Falco’s grunt of satisfaction when his pipe was relit. He seemed to place great stock in the power of pipeweed smoke to defeat this surly twin enemy of the young lady Saeryn.

However, Maercwen's good manners drew more than just the attention of Bethberry. The courtesy of her deportment and her civil manner brought a calmness into the Great Hall.

"This might be a fair time to share some drink and bread. Perhaps you can ask our new arrival, the young man Dégas, if he wishes to order anything. He must be thirsty after his hard ride and long searching.”

Dégas took a step back as he surmised that this woman standing before him was actually the Innkeeper. For some time he was tongue-tied in amazement. How could it be, he thought, that a decorous, respectable looking woman would be so brazen these days, as to submit to such a common occupation. He feared even more for his sister then, brought into such boon companionship. But what was he to say? He cleared his throat and stood erect.

“Madam, you see that I am unacquainted with certain parts of Edoras and persons of the community who do not appear before the Golden Hall and finer parts of the city. You must allow me to make amends for my discourtesy in not understanding your standards of deportment. While I myself am not inclined to partake of drink in this establishment, allow me to buy a round of ale for all present.” He bowed stiffly.

“Cor, what a bl…” began Falco.

“Oh, young gentleman, you are rudely mistaken if you think that we are low folk here,’ spoke up Maercwen, quite incensed by the high airs of the lad. “Some of us have attended musical performances at the Hall, and the court bard did stay with us and the Lady Eowyn herself has graced our fine hall.” She spoke with more firmness in her eyes than she had the day previously when speaking to Garreth and Harreld, but she could not stand to see such denigration of the Horse.

“No wonder the lass ran from you,” intoned Eodwine.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #378
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Saeryn stumbled into her room, frightened tears staining her cheeks. Gudryn and Ayeth followed swiftly. With a light knock, they opened her door, calling softly, to find Saeryn seated on the floor in the corner, arms wrapped bracingly around her knees. Her face was the color of milk. The girl stared past them, lost in a distant memory.

"Saeryn..." Ayeth knelt beside her, touching her hand lightly. Saeryn started back to reality, glancing at the girls.

"I... where is he?" she asked weakly.

"The young man is with our protecters... with your friends. Mistress Bethberry bids you to worry not... you need not see him and if you should desire too, you have her guardianship."

Saeryn went silent, her breath a mere whisper in the air. She glanced toward the door. "Will you stand beside me?"

"You need not even ask."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Put in his place, although gently, Dégas looked humbly at the Innkeeper. "Mistress, I offer the most profound--"

Eodwine butted in with a grin. "Profundity is not the way to go lad... speak politely, but in real terms that real people would use. You've been amongst the self-important for too long."

His pride damaged slightly, Dégas bowed a little to Eodwine. "Sirs, ladies... Mistress Innkeeper. I am sorry. I was... I acted the fool. I beg your pardon..."

Bethberry smiled. "Now that was not so hard. Would you like a drink lad, and we can sort this mess out a bit?"

"Aye, but nothing stronger than some hot cider, if you have it."

"Now what sort of Inn would we be with no hot cider?" Bethberry sent Maercwen to the kitchen with a discreet tip of her head and a wink. Taking the young man by the elbow, with a surprised look from him, Bethberry led him to a table and sat him down. Placing herself across from him, she paused for a moment before asking gently, "Now lad, what business so brings you to The White Horse, and why, if twin she be, did the lady Saeryn run as though seeing a ghost?"

Standing firmly, Saeryn walked slowly to her door. Gudryn and Ayeth followed, sharing a look. With almost forced movement, Saeryn opened the door and stepped back into the hall. Glancing back, she walked, head high, down the hallway and to the Great Hall from whence she came.

Dégas felt younger than he had in years. In all his time in King Aragorn's Court, he had never felt smaller and more inexperienced. He glanced across the table into the Innkeeper's eyes, finding there pity and understanding. Finding the courage to speak, he answered truthfully. "Mistress, I cannot tell you what business brings me here, for to learn of it from one other than myself, I think would cause great harm to my sister. Why she should run... I can guess only that she thought I have come to bring her home." Feeling the presence of the twins behind him, Dégas pointedly ignored them. Falco, seeing the situation quite competently managed, hurrumphed in his best manner, returning his full attention to his food and pipe.

"And why, young sir," It was here that Maercwen returned with the cider, pressing it gently into Dégas' hands. He received it with a smile and a whispered thank you. "And why would the lady fear returning home?"

"That is a story for her to tell, if she will. I will not reveal it, if she has not." Dégas sipped his drink, savouring the rich flavour. "I do not know that she fears the return, so much as hates the very thought. She has so much freedom here, as I have..." he paused, glancing at each face. "As I have noticed."

"And why lad, should we harbor you here, when you made every effort to get your way perforce, rather than simply speaking as a civilized man, as you are now doing?"

"Why indeed." Falco grunted.

Dégas looked down into his well-dressed lap, feeling, at this moment, worse than ever. "Mistress... I came here as a hot-headed lordling, full of praise, but, as I think on it, probably deserving of little of it. I shall take you, dear lady, as you are to me, if you will forget my ill-thought actions and take me for me. I come but to see my sister, and I heeded little else in that search. I am sorry." Bethberry, seeing now the soft-spoken cheerful lad that had entered the Inn, relented. "If she consents--" She broke off, glancing to the door. There stood Saeryn, bearing herself differently than she had before. She seemed to have grown as Dégas had become smaller. Filling the door, the girl paused before proudly and calmly walking forward.

Dégas looked up from his seat, rising to meet his twin. She stopped a horse's length away, looking her brother top to toe before meeting his eyes. "Dégas, why do you come here?"

Glancing, respectfully now, at the group men around him, and the two young women flanking Saeryn, Dégas bowed yet again. "Sister dear, perhaps a private word..." He allowed the question to hang in the air.

"Whatever word you choose to speak, you may say it in front of my friends and protectors. I have known them scarce long, but hold them each in high esteem and with much affection. They shall know what you have come to say."

"Saeryn..." his eyes begged. "Saeryn, Caeli is dead. I had word from the north. She was taken on the road by a band of outlaws. You know her mind as well as I... the fight ended swiftly, with her bested. Word tells that she repaid her own loss greatly before she fell." A silent tear slid down his cheek. Silence filled the air and Saeryn processed the knowledge that her only sister was dead. Her family, scattered before, was dying almost before her eyes. Saeryn's composure broke. She ran to her twin, arms and heart outstretched, and they embraced. Quiet tears stained her cheeks as the other members of the group tried tactfully to pretend they were not there, aware of their intrusion upon this private moment of grief.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 02-26-2005 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I don't like orcs any more.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #379
peral
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril Ayeth

Ayeth desperately attempted to choke back her own tears. She figured that this Caeli that was being spoken about was one of Saeryn's kindred. Staring down at the floor she thought about her own family. There were almost none left now, her father....her father! She had almost certainly tarried here in this inn far too long. Time had seemed to fly past like leaves borne on the wind and the worst things that could have happened to her father flashed through her mind. No, she promised, he will...he cannot die, not now.

She looked up at Saeryn and her brother who were in tears. It seemed such an awkward time to bring up such a seemingly unimportant subject, but it had to be done.

"Uh..." she began quietly. Harreld and Garreth gave her a questioning look. "I really should be getting back to my father now. I've been gone too long..."
Old 02-27-2005, 05:54 PM   #380
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Gudryn

Gudryn watched somewhat helplessly at the events that unfolded before her.

You are an ill wretch! Covered in filthy rags, blood, scars and bruises!

And in such royal company she knew nothing of how to behave and so she lowered her head trying to make herself inconspicuous. The depth of tortured sorrow within her rich brown eyes collected into hot tears.

She brushed them away quickly with her shawl remaining behind the others. Death seemed to follow her, hatred grew within her, she wished Rand were dead, no longer haunting her mind and threatening her very life if he came to this place.

Gudryn prayed he wouldn't find her, but her hope was smouldering. Was she waiting for him, was she waiting to die?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:19 PM   #381
peral
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril Ayeth

Ayeth saw the tears well up in Gudryn's eyes though she tried so desperately to hide them. Suddenly she felt a pang of remorse, she couldn't just leave now, it would be seen as running away from a situation and she knew she'd never live it down if she did so now. Although she said nothing, she stayed nonetheless and she hoped that noone would ask any difficult questions about it.

She placed her hand on Gudryn's arm. The girl looked up at her and Ayeth could see the grief and desperation in her eyes.

"Don't worry," she whispered. "I'm sure it is safe here. And even if..." here she trailed off seeing the look in Gudryn's eyes. The girl was willing her to stop and stop she did because of what she knew could happen to her had she continued.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #382
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Eodwine and Falco

The news that faced Saeryn was dreadful. The man of Eomer and the hobbit were saddened for her, and the boy Dégas, and expressed their sorrow at her loss.

Eodwine said, "Lady Saeryn, though I am most curious, you need not tell us a thing about your family, not until and unless you are quite ready." He turned to Maercwen. "Mayhap we could have that cider that the good lad has offered up, and thereby quench some small bit of sorrow in shared drink and company."

Maercwen nodded and scurried off to the kitchen.

Soon drinks were had all around, and Eodwine for his part was grateful that it was cider instead of anything stronger. Once they had quaffed and taken what solace could be had from their shared company, Eodwine stood and said, "Long has Master Falco Boffin been waiting to be shown the Great Hall of Meduseld, where I must go to report. It is time for me to take him there. I offer to take Gudryn under my protection, with the aid of Harreld and Garreth, if they desire, as far as the King's hall, where I will ask what may be known of this Rand fellow. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this. And while we are busy with it, I shall see that Gudryn is provided with seemly clothing for a young Rohirric lass. Then maybe we can all meet again here toward evening and learn what we may. Maybe the Lady Bethberry would have Gudryn accompanied by another lass to keep her at ease? And what say you, Gudryn?"
Old 02-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #383
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Drying her tears over a pint, Saeryn's cheeks remained faded. Would every place she thought to call home become a place of horror? She could not remain at the Inn for now, whither she returned or no.

"Eodwine, friend, I am willing to be companion to Gudryn, if she and you will have me. I seem to have business that must be swiftly dealt with. Would you have me join you?"

Dégas made to lay his hand over his sister's, drawing back at the last. She glanced at his still red eyes. "Dégas, I must go, and please... you mustn't try to stop me. I realize now that I cannot forever run from my home. No place again shall home be called if I fear reprisal for my prior actions. Will you," and here Saeryn spread her arms wide, "Or all or any of you, join me to the Folde? I go there from Meduseld." Turning to Bethberry, Saeryn spoke again. "Mistress, if I might but reserve the room you have given me? I plan to ride light, and with me are extra belongings that my mare need not bear."

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 02-28-2005 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot a crucial line
Old 03-01-2005, 02:57 PM   #384
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Alrik

Alrik was a tall man, with jet black hair down, to his shoulders. He had the appearance, as well as the build, of one of them mountain men from Gondor. He also walked with a clear limp, but no one knew why. Most figured he was injured in the previous wars, but some said his left leg was longer than his right.

Alrik strode into the Inn, immediately catching the attention of the others in the hall. There was a long, silent pause. He continued to hobble towards the counter, his feet echoing each step he took, breaking the silence. He noticed he was being watched and attempted to not draw so much attention. He reached into his worn, ragged pants, and pulled out a piece of paper; which he quickly stuffed back into his pocket. He turned away from the other inn members, and faced the wall behind the counter; hoping to get served soon, so he could be off soon.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #385
peral
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril Ayeth

Ayeth nodded slowly.

"Aye, tis what would be best for us, at least, that's what I believe," she quickly added.

She was grateful for this suggestion. It gave her a chance to return home to her father without seeming to be running away from a situation. Her father...again images of what could possibly have occurred to him over the past hours flashed through her mind's eye again.

With a small bob to Harreld and Garreth and nods to Eodwine and Falco, she made as to leave. But before she did, she touched Saeryn's arm and looked at the girl reassuringly. As she reached the door, she looked back once, remembering what the inn was like, for she was sure it would be some time before she would be seeing it again.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:48 PM   #386
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Gudryn

People. Strangers. Heros.

For once in her life Gudryn found herself in bewildering company, people who, without the slightest wink of an eye would go forward and right the wrongs of people they hardly knew. Without the faintest flinch would swear oaths to protect them.

Gudryn's face hardened, and she nodded her head. For once she was sure of what she must do.

"I will go with you to Meduseld, and have Saeryn by my side as well, if she wishes it so"

Eodwine and Saeryn nodded, she smiled meakly back and wrapped the shawl tighter around herself. She waved goodbye to Ayeth as she headed out the door back to her father.

To have a Father, to take care of in old age.

Gudryn looked past the people to the far wall, a trickling of images went through her and she looked away.

"Are Harreld and Garreth to accompany us?"

Last edited by Esgallhugwen; 03-02-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:12 AM   #387
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

A voice cried out to Ayeth ere she walked out of the heavy oak doors. It was Frodides, the cook. 'Don't you be leaving empty-handed with a father to attend to. Here, take this pot of warm soup and share it with him."

Ayeth stood open-mouthed, unsure of how to accept--or whether to accept--this generosity.

"Don't stand on ceremony. It is a small enough thing. And you can always be tellling your father that you must return the pot to me, so we will be expecting to see you back again, young miss. And give my regards to your Da. He knows me."

Ayeth's face brightened considerably at the easy, kind manner of the woman. Oh that she still had her own mother, as sweet and thoughtful as this woman! She would have hugged Frodides had her shyness not held her back.

"I thankee, Mistress Frodides, with all my heart. I will indeed return your pot, and likely with my Da's good wishes." With that, Ayeth sprang out the door, to return with a more satisfied heart to her father.

And in the Great Hall, plans were being laid.

"Now what would Eodwine be knowin' about clothes for fine Rohirrim lasses?" asked Ruthven mischievously, hoping to lessen some of the sombre mood. "Lass, if the Innkeeper here won't have some clothes left behind by a guest who had more finery than coin, then the Edoras rag lady will."

"Indeed, Gudryn," intoned Bethberry. "Come, check out the back closet with Ruthven to see what we have, before you go to see what stock of clothes she has in her own establishment. You'd be surprised at what clothes the ladies part with when they have need of coin."

"Lad, I am sorry your ill news meant initially an ill welcome, and Saeryn, I am most sorry for your loss. A room will be yours, if you consider leaving some of your possessions behind as a promise of return."

At this point, a stranger strode into the Horse and Bethberry saw she would need to attend to another patron.

"Eodwine, you are all most welcome back this evening to discuss what matters to attend to. And to taste what delicacies Frodides will have prepared." With a wink and a grin at Falco and the twins, the Innkeeper moved on to address the stranger.

He was a grim-looking man, untidy with travels perhaps. Bethberry wondered if his sullen mood reflected a chip on his shoulder, developed in tandem with the ungainly hobble of his walk. She approached him warily but with the usual Innkeeper's welcome for all patrons and wondered what need he had to view the paper which he pushed so quickly back into his pocket. She was, however, too discrete to ask openly about it.

"Stranger, the Innkeeper welcomes you to The White Horse. You arrive early and you see we have had a busy morn with much communal discussion. Yet our kitchen is open to you. Is it light fare you wish, or a substantial meal? Or do you seek some advice or merely directions to our town?"
Old 03-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #388
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Adu rode up to the inn. She hadn't gazed upon the marvels of the White Horse in a long time. Her horse let out a whiny to show approval of the journey. Adu was glad to be back home and amongst people she knew. "Hama should be inside some wheres Count." The horse seemed to nodded his head showing that he understood her. She dismounted her horse and led him into the stables where she knew he would be happy back with some of his old comrads.

Adu turned and began walking to the front door of the inn when she thought she saw something out of the corner of her right eye. She turned around to see what she thought was General Dorian. "But it can't be your dead." The figure had an evil look on its face. Shaking its head the figure took off running towards Adu. Quickly Adu turned her head away only to realize that the figure was never there. "Why does the figments of my past tend to haunt me so?" Finally she decided it best to go inside the building.

Opening the door Adu saw many faces she had never seen before and only a few that she recognized. Looking around she saw no sign of Hama. "Well I guess he's hiding from me. Oh well." Adu walked to the corner to an empty table. "I guess I'll wait until he arrives." Her blue eyes scanned the rest of the people. Now that she thought of it, none of them looked familar to her well except Bethberry. Then again Adu spent very little time in the inn while she was in Rohan.

She pulled the hood of her cloak off of her head only to cause her black hair to fall around her shoulders. Adu had left her sword with Count and didn't feel as if she would need something like that in a place where she could see no trouble. "Now where could Hama be?"
Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #389
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine and Falco

Gudryn gave her assent to Bethberry and Ruthven's offer of the pick of what clothing lay around the Inn.

While Eodwine waited, he took note of the dark haired man with the limp, whom Bethberry served while Ruthven saw to Gudryn. Eodwine walked over to the man while Falco settled down near the hearth, smoking his pipe, as usual.

"Good day and well met." Eodwine offered his hand. The man turned, looked at him askance a moment, hesitated another moment, and then raised his hand to Eodwine's, who shook the other's as if nothing odd had occurred. "I am Eodwine of the Gap, messenger of King Eomer."

"Alrik," the man responded.

"You seem somewhat familiar to me, Alrik. Of course, I travel much for the King of Rohan, and may have seen you anywhere from Pelargir to Bree! Or was it the war?" Eodwine glanced at the man's leg, for he had seen his limp. "Do I perhaps know you from the war? I was with the muster of Rohan to Pelennor, and then at the Gates of the Morannon with King Elessar. Were you also in one of those battles?"
Old 03-04-2005, 03:43 AM   #390
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Hama was leaning on the bar, mumbling, with an ale in one hand and a pipe in the other. He barely looked up when the inn door opened. When Eodwine said that Alrik looked familiar, and that he had maybe been in one of the wars, Hama spoke quietly, but hoarsely, "It is a known thing that few warriors take great joy in disscussing previous battles, even victories...the horrors that a man sees linger for the rest of his life, and talking about them only accentuates them."

Eodwine looked up at Hama. "Sorry, Hama, I forgot what-", Hama interjected "Never mind, Eodwine, what is past is past, and thinking about it cannot change it."
Old 03-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #391
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Adu sat in the corner looking around at the people in the inn. She looked down at the floor noticing every bit of dust that had collected in the corner beside her. Hearing the sound of a very familar voice Adu looked up and immediately realized that one of the men setting at the bar was Hama. For some reason the men setting beside Hama looked familar yet like strangers to her. Adu sat by herself trying to decide when it was best to talk with Hama.

She couldn't wait any longer. She stood up pulling the hood of her cloak back over her hair. She began walking towards the bar. She placed her hands over Hama's eyes and began to talk. "I knew I would find you here somewhere. You of all people should know you cannot hide from me." Adu couldn't keep a strait face anymore. She pulled her hands from his eyes and removed the hood of her cloak. Once again her hair fell around her shoulders before she was able to catch it and place the black hair behind her. "Do you mind if I join the two of you?" Adu stood there waiting for a word from one of the three men.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #392
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420! Alrik

Alrik lifted his head up, after the innkeeper greeted him, "just put on some eggs for me....Oh, and a cup of tea." The inkeeper nodded and walked away; Alrik got a funny feeling in his stomach. He sat for a while, with his head down on the table. Then another man approached.

"Good day and well met. I am Eodwine of the Gap, messenger of King Eomer." Alrik looked up, he hadn't intended on attracting this much attention. He simply wanted to deliver the message his father gave him. He was to find Fastrod and give him the message. At first Alrik acted like he was just going to ignore the man, then he decided it was best not to, "Alrik," he replied.

"You seem somewhat familiar to me, Alrik. Of course, I travel much for the King of Rohan, and may have seen you anywhere from Pelargir to Bree! Or was it the war?" Eodwine asked. "Do I perhaps know you from the war? I was with the muster of Rohan to Pelennor, and then at the Gates of the Morannon with King Elessar. Were you also in one of those battles?"

Alrik began to move nervously in his seat. He barely knew the man, but yet he wanted to know about his past? Alrik replied irritably, in attempts that the man would leave, "I served under Forlong from Lossarnach. I'm sorry, but you don't look familiar." There was an awkward pause, which was what Alrik was intending. Then lo and behold! comes another man! Alrik was beginning to get quite irritated by all these people. They whispered something between the two of them, clearly it wasn't ment for Alrik's ears, so he didn't pay any attention.

He was about to move down a couple seats, when a woman approached. She began to talk merrily, not with Eodwine, but with the other. Obviously they hadn't seen eachother for a while, and were pleased to have met again. Alrik heard her say "the two of them," and figured he wasn't one of the two, so he began to walk down towards the end. He sat down, away from the commotion and chatting. He began to look frustrated. Where was his food? He had only ordered some eggs.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #393
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
"Maercwen, whatever are you doing?" Frodides put her hands on her hips and gazed firmly at the young lassie, who had been sitting by the window and staring out dreamily. "There's a poor man out there who ordered some eggs, quite a few minutes ago. No doubt he's wondering where they've got to."

Maercwen stood, and hastened to the eggs, casting repentant glances towards her mother. "I'm so sorry," she murmured, her tone telling that she was also humiliated. "I was just thinking... what do you think Hearpwine is doing now? And Uncle Liornung? The recent commotion made me recall the days when the Common Room resounded with their music."

"Well, my dear," said Frodides, with a little teasing, tender smile, "I hope when they come again you don't leave their eggs to grow cool, and their stomachs to grow empty. Off with you now."

With the plate of eggs in one hand and the cup of tea in the other, Maercwen took herself out to the Common Room, and drew in a long breath, as if she had just stepped out into the fresh air. She did not mind working in the kitchen with her mother, but she missed the days when, as a little girl, she could sit in the Common Room all the day, if she pleased, and listen to the songs and tales of far-off lands. Now she was only briefly out of the kitchen, to pass a plate to some traveller, or pursue the baby laddie.

She spotted the man sitting in a quieter part of the room. She paused for the briefest moment to survey him, and try to guess what she could from his appearance. She could not hear what tales he might have to tell, but she would be able to see him. He was clearly not from Rohan, and his dark hair led her to guess that he was from Gondor. His clothes were worn and ragged. Perhaps it was from travelling, or perhaps he...

But the poor man's eggs!

Maercwen abruptly broke off her thoughts and hastened to him, hoping that her cheeks were not blushing to testify to her forgetfulness, and fearing that it was otherwise. Yet she had spent many years in the Inn, and did not lose her calm because a plate of eggs had taken some time.

Setting the eggs and tea before him, she spoke in her most courteous, official manner, saying: "Your eggs and tea, sir, and my apologies for the delay."
Old 03-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #394
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Eodwine and Falco

"Do you mind if I join the two of you?" asked the new woman. Alrik walked away, clearly wishing to be left alone.

"I would not mind at all," Eodwine said, "except that duty calls me. Forgive me hasty leaving, but I must away to Meduseld." With that he bowed to the man and woman, and joined Falco, Gudryn, and Saeryn; they were ready to go. Harreld and Garreth offered to come along with them as far as their paths led the same way, and Eodwine welcomed their company. Ayeth also joined them, happy to have company as far as she had to go. With that, the party left the Inn, those promising who were able, to return for the evening meal, with any news they might have to share.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #395
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

I must be getting away as well," spoke up Ruthven, taking a good hard look at the unsocialable man.

"You'd best get used to friendly folk around here, mister. For a man who puts people off, why, he's just more likely to bring 'em on. Some types just can't resist the challenge, you see, of turning people 'round." Alrik stared almost angrily at the old woman but instead of retaliating with a rude outburst, he slightly grinned, shrugged his shoulders, and dug into his eggs.

Ruthven cackled a little to herself and nodded to new woman, who seemed so eager to catch Hama's attention. Silently to herself she wondered what kind of day her friend Bethberry would have.

She caught the Innkeeper busy at her desk, reading over small piles of paper and marking items in a ledge, her hand neatly, with great deliberation, writing in a large leather-bound book. Sometimes, Ruthven thought, her friend sought out that ledger as a way to avoid too much of the chitchat of life in an Inn.

"You'll have a full house today, I warrant," said the grey-haired woman to the Innkeeper.

"That I will, I think. Will you be back at dinner?"

"I shall. I don't think I want to miss Eodwine's enterprising ways with that solemn stranger there."

'If he stays the day. He hasn't said much yet," replied the Innkeeper, watching him from a distance and wondering what journey brought him hither. "But I wonder if Hama has his hands full." Bethberry nodded ever so slightly in the direction of Adu.

Ruthven grinned. "You'll have tales to tell me this evening." With that, she was off, her old cloak wrapped loosely around her and her old feet treading a slow shuffle on the worn wooden floor.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:16 PM   #396
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420! Alrik

"I don't care about meeting anyone." Alrik muttered under his breath, but somehow he got the impression that the inkeeper heard him. "I'm not staying long anyway." Alrik hungrily dug into his eggs and finished them quickly. Then he sat quietly sipping his tea.

Where is he? He's supposed to be here. Durn him, if he makes me wait..I'll...Alrik stuck his hand in the same pocket he stuffed the paper in. "He better get here." he grunted. Alrik waved over the inkeeper and asked her to bring him some more tea. "Hold up," he shouted, "are there any rooms available? I get the feeling I'm going to need to stay the night." The lady continued to study him, and appeared to be debating whether she wanted Alrik as a guest or not. "Well...are there any rooms or not?" he said impatiently. He was beginning to get fed up with the people around here.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #397
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree Gudryn

Luck at last!

Finally some suitable cloths worth walking around in. Ruthven had helped her shovel through the piles and hangers picking out this and that, that would be most suitable for Gudryn.

She couldn't believe some of the things these women left behind. Rich colours everywhere, it was difficult to choose between the blue breeches and the long dark green skirt.

She chose the skirt and a black blouse with silver horses running up the sleeves. In fact the sleeves were long enough that they ended just before her fingertips, but she liked it that way, it covered up her bruises.

Gudryn was silently happy that there were boots inside the closet as well, her luck held out as they fit perfectly.

She blushed profusely as Ruthven told her how pretty she looked, the old lady giggled and sent her on her way back to Eodwine and the other men. But before she reached them Ruthven rushed up to her, "wouldn't want ye to be getting cold out there again, take this".

She held out a fine cloak that had been hidden far behind the other clothes, it was soft to the touch and Gudryn knew it was meant for someone of higher rank then herself.

The young girl took it with many thanks and began to walk back to the group draping it around her shoulders, clasping it together with the fine silver pin it came with.

She met the others at the door and soon with their goodbyes and promises to return for dinner they set out for Meduseld.

~~~~

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-14-2005 at 02:39 PM. Reason: juggling posts for timing
Old 03-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #398
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Bethberry was exasperated by the ways of this strange, morose man. She had not expected him to be so picky about his room, but he was. That in itself increased her suspicion of him, although she did try to remind herself not to be too critical simply because he appeared to be a loner.

First she had chosen a room on the main floor, thinking that with his lame leg and limp he would not want to climb stairs. That room had not satisfied Alrik. He found fault with the blustery wind coming through a loose pane of glass in the window. He found fault with it being too far away from the main hall. The second room she showed him lacked a fireplace, being close to the huge chimney from the kitchen, that did not satisfy him either. The third room had its own fireplace and its window had been newly chinked to keep out the cold. Yet for nigh on to half an hour they had haggled over the price. Bethberry was ready to wish she had never agreed to show him a room, but something about the way he kept checking the paper in his pocket made her think that perhaps they had best keep a watch on him.

The rest of the morning she took up with balancing the ledger and talking with Frodides about the market order. That woman was a marvel, running the kitchen so well, with always fresh food and enough to satisfy many tastes. Then the light rain ruined the laundry and Bethberry had spent a good part of the afternoon helping the chambermaids carry linens and sheets upstairs and down from the spare linen closet. She had, in fact, been surprised late in the afternoon when she came upon Alrik just standing on the landing to his floor. What he had beendoing she could not imagine, and so at first chance she had spoken with Frodides' husband about him. Their second oldest boy was to keep an eye out on this strange man.

Finally, as afternoon wore on into early evening and supper time approached, Bethberry sat down by the fire in the Great Hall, a pot of tea in front of her, her eyes watching the street out the far window, to see if any strangers walked past the Horse. She waited for Ruthven to return, and became impatient wondering what tales Eowdwine and Falco would bring back from the Golden Hall.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #399
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Eodwine and Falco

Saeryn had accompanied Eodwine, Falco, and Gudryn as far as Meduseld, then excused herself to run some errands. The three bid her good erranding and went into the King's hall.

They were received as befits a messenger of the king and his friends, and King Eomer was most pleased, as it turned out, to meet one of the Holbytla. Falco Boffin acquitted himself well, especially as he knew Master Meriadoc personally, and some of the Brandybuck relation into the bargain.

The King even proved willing to hear the small matter concerning Gudryn, who was so shy Eodwine thought she might sink into the floor. Eomer had no new errands for Eodwine, commissioning him to see to the matter of Gudryn and this Rand he had spoken of.

Eodwine sought out members of the Hall guards and those who had the care of the roads and byways of Edoras and learned what he could of this ruffian, Rand.

Soon the sun had bent toward evening and it was time to be back to the White Horse for the planned meeting with the others who could make it back. Not a hundred strides shy of the Inn, they came across a horse standing guard over someone lying in the road. It was Saeryn, guarded by her mare! Eodwine lifted her and Falco inspected her face and head with his keener eyes in the fading light.

"Is she-" Gudryn whimpered.

"She lives but does not waken," Falco said. "Looks as if she's taken a fall."

"Let us hope that is the worst of it," Eodwine replied as he picked her up. "Falco, will you see to the mare?"

"I will. You see to the girl then."

Eodwine looked back and saw Gudryn folding and unfolding her hands, looking in all directions, fear growing in her widening eyes.

"Come, lass. The quicker we are in the White Horse, the safer you shall be. Walk beside me and mind the Lady Saeryn's head, will you?"

Gudryn nodded and came up beside Eodwine, laying her hand under Saeryn's head in the crook of Eodwine's arm. She seemed relieved at having something to do besides worry.

The sun had not set when Eodwine and Gudryn entered the Inn; Falco moved on to the stables.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:46 PM   #400
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

Erik entered the inn a broken man. After many years of traveling Rohan, he was left with nothing more than his remaining senses. Erik had roamed Rohan for many years, searching for, oddly enough, berries. As an apothecary, he would strive to find new ingredients for potions. After witnessing his father's tragic illness against the hands of a mysterious disease, Erik had thought of nothing but a potion to cure all ailments. Finding nothing but dust for three months, he continued to search for some source of produce. Finally, Erik had discovered a small patch of berries, containing golden triangular-shaped yield. He tested his berries on several of his cuts, and had completely healed him two days later. Convinced they had potential, he took the whole bush and set off for his village. On the way, raiders ambushed him. Acting like berserk dogs, they ravaged him until there was nothing left but Erik’s bare flesh. After ordering them to give him back the berries, the raiders cut his eyes, keeping them from ever seeing again.

After days of wandering in darkness, Erik found a safe village and made it his home for fourteen years. Erik was taken in like a stray dog from a caring family, which clothed him and fed him. After years of living in the village, he left for Edoras, searching for an apothecary job. Guided by his “adopted” son, he set off for Edoras. After days of riding, he finally reached his goal.
“At last! We are here. A thousand thanks, my friend. My the golden sun ever shine over your brow.” Eric said, as he carefully got off his horse and grabbed his cane, his portable guide. “’Tis nothing my friend. I wish, alas, that I could stay, but mother needs me back at home. We fear our shipment of clay will not come. We’ll need to get started on this year’s season early.” After embracing for a second, Erik carefully walked up the hill as his friend got back on his horse and rode away.

It took Erik roughly thirty minutes to find the inn, a five minutes walk. Finally reaching the door, he pushed it back, and smelt the aroma of warm ale and fresh bread. As he walked through the door, he was pushed over by a drunken man dancing around. Getting to his feet a lot better then the intoxicated one, Erik asked “Where can I find the owner of this fine establishment?” The man staggered for a minute, then pointed toward the innkeeper. Being blind, Erik angrily walked away and found what looked like a counter. As he sat, regaining his focus, a warm voice crept up on him from behind. “Hello stranger! Can I help you?”
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'