Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #121
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Right, I'll sort the changes you suggested, littlemanpoet.

Sorry to join in so late...
Old 05-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #122
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

So . . . is the consensus that the post be moved between 3 & 4?

If so, let me know and I'll do so.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #123
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think it fits best there. Others' thoughts?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:15 AM   #124
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Hama's post moved to follow Taralphiel's post, #3.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-22-2006, 06:03 AM   #125
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I will try to get a post up with Marenil sometime today. If I don't, I ask everyone to look at the Calendar to know why.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #126
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Just checking in, so you don't think I've disappeared!

I have a post in the works, the usual act of Sorn enjoying the glow of his own brilliance *giggles*

Would anyone like me to work their characters in? I might put Gurth in for a bit. Would you mind, Anguriel? I think Sorn's taken quite a liking to him and his wonderful hound!

Tara
Old 05-24-2006, 12:18 AM   #127
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Not at all. In fact, it would be really helpful as I could then respond from Gurth's point of view. Such a large and shambling character is quite hard to write into situations in origo!

Command me to jest, my lord, and I shall, in some way that involves smashing things amusingly, probably...

But the really scary thing about Gurth is the way he looks like a perfect Lord of the Rohirrim...until he starts dribbling and grunting...
Old 05-24-2006, 12:31 AM   #128
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
But the really scary thing about Gurth is the way he looks like a perfect Lord of the Rohirrim...until he starts dribbling and grunting...
I notice a stark resemblance to reality. You've never noticed that the folk that look most perfect often have a surprising adeptness at vocalizing moist words that may or may not have meaning? w00t Gur+h roxors & wad a qt d0G!

*clears throat* Sorry 'bout that.

Actually, to be serious, what I like most about Gurth is that he isn't simply a bumbling idiot. He's more fascinating because he's got that appearance of humanity... it's a better foil for his character than if he looked the part.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:20 AM   #129
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Done, Ang!

I think Sorn touches on another side to Gurth that relates to this. Of all his 'help', he knows Gurth is the most loyal. The most volatile, definitely, but as long as Sorn keeps his bargain Gurth keeps his...

At least, that's the way I've tried to portray him. I hope that's okay! :P Let me know if I need to tweak my post a li'l. I've left you room to think about the moments he was with Linduial, and to do something different entirely

Tara
Old 05-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #130
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
LMP, I'm so confused. Where's Eodwine in relation to Haleth? And where, then, is Derrin? In Jenny's post it sounds as though Eodwine and Haleth could be alone again, or with several people. Are Garstand and Derren the only ones who have thus far volunteered, or should, by the time Jenny's post takes place, there be more? Because I don't know where my character is or should be, I can't write a post. I'm so sorry. And I'm especially sorry to bother you, because it seems you're awfully busy of late.

Oh! And about Jenny's post. Marenil's suggestion is either lovely or disapointing. I haven't decided which. If Eodwine says yes to him, Thornden gets to take place in the adventure after all (which is lovely, in it's sense), but it's disapointing because I was looking forward to some sparks being kicked up between Thornden and Eodwine when Eodwine told him that he has to stay back and act like a Steward. What's more, if Thornden got to stay behind, Alcarillo and I would have a chance, I think, to do some writing together.
So, there are my few thoughts about Meranil's suggestions. Have Eodwine answer as you will, of course...either way is fine, I guess, in it's different ways.

-- Folwren
Old 05-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #131
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm a little confused myself, Folwren. At least we're clear that Thornden is with the search party. Which seems to be bigger than anyone ever intended! I have no idea how many people this makes, but Eodwine was surprised at the number.

Question: what writers are there who are part of this search party, and what are your characters? Just so I'm clear whose names to use when I write.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 PM   #132
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, lovely, you've straightened everything out very easily. Cheers to Elempi!

I'm a writer for two characters - Deren and Thornden. I hope they'll get along. I don't imagine that they wouldn't.

As for my next post, I will do my utmost to write one tomorrow morning, but the day is looking like it's filling up. However, we'll have to wait and see. I'll try, really I will.

-- Folwren
Old 05-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #133
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
And I'm writing Garstan, who is also coming along.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #134
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Characters and (Current/Main) Locations/Groups:

Search Party:
Eodwine
Haleth
Deren
Thornden
Garstan

Dol Amroth:
Degas
Farahil
Adrigil
Farlen

Mead Hall:
Marenil
Leodern
Garmund

Anyone else who wishes to pop in with a cameo at the Hall is welcome to PM me. I may be PMing some Mead Hall writers once we really get going.

Sorn's Estate:
Sorn
Scyld
Gurth
Osfrid
Muriel

Other/Incidental Characters:
Lothiriel
Torim

Last edited by JennyHallu; 05-26-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #135
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Double posting but it's my thread

:P

Anywho...

lmp has moved ahead to the next morning...great!

The trip to Sorn's estate takes about 8 hours, and that's by wagon. By foot it is probably a good day and a half to two days, a-horseback you could probably get there in six hours.

The catch, of course, is figuring out where you're going. A man wanders the fair with information you need, but you don't know that, and he's not inclined to get involved in such high affairs. This is the first challenge for the Searchers.

The first challenge for the Kidnappers and the Hall-folk is slightly different. It will be Osfrid and Muriel's spy mission, each groups working against the other. Kidnappers, (Sorn and Scyld particularly) could you establish the whereabouts of the items Lin had on her? The knife, doll, and basket are all things Lin is going to wish to recover, and we'll need to know where they are, (at least here, if not in the story thread. I'm not picky about it.)
Old 05-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #136
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I know I haven't been much in evidence yet, but I am about. Do plop Gurth on your list.

The time change means it'll look forced to finish my conversation with Sorn, but blast it, I'll resort to a flashback.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #137
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Whoopsie...fixed it.

Is Gurth's short term memory up to the challenge of a flashback?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #138
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Perhaps he has hidden depths...
Old 05-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #139
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu

Is Gurth's short term memory up to the challenge of a flashback?
Ha!

Maybe, Anguirel, you could write a post and have someone stick it in their post wherever you need it? It's not so nice, but it's better than a flashback.

-- Folwren
Old 05-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #140
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I decided not to dwell on remembrance of things past after all. Gurth is giving Grendel walkies.

A side-note: in real life I'm absolutely terrified of very large dogs...
Old 05-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #141
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

LMP, just noticed something: Lin is Lothiriel's cousin, not her niece.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #142
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Pity, Malfoidacil, as most of them are very sweet.

*is patiently waiting for a point where it makes sense to write a Degas post*
Old 05-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #143
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

We all fail to appreciate certain vital pleasures. Ah, I can't wait for my mother's Sunday roast...
Old 05-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #144
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Jenny, you will excuse me for this one. . .

Oh. Big dogs are awesome. We've have Great Pyreneese around here for a couple years now, and I want a Great Dane really, really bad. The only problem is, Pop doesn't like Great Danes, so I've got to wait until I get married and have my own house.

-- Folwren
Old 05-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #145
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Does anybody have a clue how on earth the search party is supposed to find out anything about anybody? Where it is to go? How it's supposed to find Sorn? I've had Eodwine and Haleth argue over strategy, and now I think that the two need to more or less stick together. The question is, which one of the two is in charge? Did Lothiriel put one of us in charge? I don't remember that being clarified. It would have been in the Rohan Tolkien created. I'm at a loss. Some help, anybody?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #146
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Does anybody have a clue how on earth the search party is supposed to find out anything about anybody? Where it is to go? How it's supposed to find Sorn?
Maybe a reward can be promised for any information about the kidnapping. Torim will come to the mead hall and tell about what he saw and heard the evening Sorn's cart passed by his farm. Maybe Osfrid will be there to overhear the conversation. Then he and Muriel can rush back to Sorn to tell him what's happened.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #147
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

LMP, I think Lothiriel was very clear that Haleth was in charge, and Eodwine answers to him. Please reread the post where Lothiriel confronts Eodwine if you're still confused, and please, since this is the first time I've run a game, keep complaints to PM first, cc'd to Piosenniel if you feel it necessary.

I also put someone in place in the Fair who has information on Lin's whereabouts. If you and the other search party members can't come up with a way to find him, I will be happy to offer ideas, but I don't want to control your party. This is intended to be a team effort, please discuss with your party members what is the best plan. That's what this thread is for.

And while this time change stands, could any future time changes be discussed and agreed upon in the thread first, or in PM? I'd like to give people enough time to wrap up conversations and such, and I would really appreciate, as game owner, the ability to institute time changes myself, in case there is new information or developments I would like to reveal.

~JennyHallu~

Edit: X'd with Alcarillo. See? Ideas! Right there!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #148
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
LMP, just noticed something: Lin is Lothiriel's cousin, not her niece.
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny
...please, since this is the first time I've run a game, keep complaints to PM first, cc'd to Piosenniel if you feel it necessary.
Oh. Sorry. I didn't realize I was complaining. I was just meaning to ask for help. Feeling a little lost and desperate, that's all. I'll go read that post again. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny
And while this time change stands, could any future time changes be discussed and agreed upon in the thread first, or in PM?
Absolutely! It can be changed if you want. I just didn't know what to do with all the loose ends, and the best solution I could think of was to start the new day. If you need me to change anything or delete a post, please say so.

Okay, I've reread the first post. In that light, I should either severely edit or delete my little conversation-with-Haleth post. Or so it seems to me. What do you think?

And as for moving this little adventure along, I'm content to follow Hama's and Jenny's lead. What a relief!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #149
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Concerning loose ends, I would like to write a post wrapping up Scyld's and Lin's conversation; should be written sometime tomorrow. It could just be inserted after Jenny's post...
Old 05-26-2006, 09:22 PM   #150
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I think the discussion you had with Haleth stands on the basis of your shared history. I kind of got the feeling he and Eodwine were former comrades in arms, and as such a real formal command relationship isn't likely.

Pio, see Folwren's post above...can you do that? (What are you capable of anyway, our dearest Moddess?)
Old 05-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #151
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I think the discussion you had with Haleth stands on the basis of your shared history. I kind of got the feeling he and Eodwine were former comrades in arms, and as such a real formal command relationship isn't likely.
I'll let it stand if you're okay with it.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #152
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

For anyone who needs to insert a post:

Just put it here on the discussion thread and tell me which post box # it is to be inserted in and does it follow or precede the post already in the box.

And if I don't see it right away - just bang me over the head with a PM.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #153
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Pio - could you put this at the end of Jenny's post #29?

~*~*~

PLACED ON GAME ~*~ Pio

Firefoot's post

“So you do beg. Very well; wine or some such you will have with your meal,” he allowed, “but I would not count on any kind of bone setter.” He said no more, and he thought he heard a soft sigh from Linduial.

After a while, Scyld heard the soft ripping of fabric and saw that she was indeed trying to wrap her arm, though it clearly caused her a great deal of hurt. She might be doing only what she would call necessary, Scyld mused, but there were some who would not have done nearly what she had. She called herself a child, and in many ways she was, naïveté not least, but she was resourceful, too. Altogether an interesting person.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-27-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #154
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Actually Pio, put it at the end of the first section of my post. Before the Marenil bit. If you can.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #155
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Pio - could you put this at the end of Jenny's post #29?
So - JennyH - I actually put it in #27 as you suggested . . .

~*~ Pio
Old 05-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #156
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Um...yeah...and I just reread and I was wrong and Firefoot was right and could you please move it again and stick it where she said? Or I guess I could...I will.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #157
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Tara - do you have any specific ideas about how Sorn's house is run? I had it in mind that Scyld was sort of an all-purpose sort of guy - groundskeeping, running errands, whatever Sorn needed him to do - but what about, for instance, cooking? Does he have a servant to do this, and perhaps some cleaning as well? It seems fairly logical (if he has minions, surely he has servants?), but I was also wondering how he would handle that, now that they've kidnapped someone - does he trust his servants, then? Or threaten them, even if it is only understood?
Old 05-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #158
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fire: Good questions!

Scyld has mentioned in sme posts his frustration at not being able to take on more important tasks relating to Sorn's scheming. Perhaps to make that more apparent, he could have some more menial duties?

His household would, because of his financial situation, be run on a 'skeleton staff'. Most likely one cook, one stable hand, perhaps some sort of cleaner? Someone Scyld helps out now and then. People have mentioned the house looks a little dilapidated, so he wouldn't have dozens of staff running about.

Of course, being Sorn, he wouldn't take a 'nice' way around keeping his servants quiet. Threats would probably work well, maybe also promises of a mighty reward - of course deals he won't keep.

Sorn really trusts no-one. So it would make sense he would have something in mind to keep his minion's silence.

I hope these answer your questions, and they fit in with the story Jenny . I'll try to work more of this into my future posts.

- Tara
Old 05-28-2006, 05:34 AM   #159
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Okay, that's sort of what I was thinking, but I thought I'd check to make sure...

And by the way... what exactly is it in your avatar? I've been trying to figure it out for a while now without success...
Old 05-28-2006, 05:48 AM   #160
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ah, Jenny , I just saw your post about the items that were taking from Lin. I'll make sure to account for them in my next post. I'll have Sorn admiring the blade meant for Degas *nod*

Fire: It's not so much a what, as a whom :3 Her name is Fawne... I thought people may recognise it as a face, but maybe it's too obscure n.n; Pretty, but obscure....*giggles*

With that done, back to planning some more smouldering spoilt brat Sorn posts! *wink*

- Tara