Old 10-06-2003, 01:19 PM   #41
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Here again are the characters needed for the game:

Characters needed:
  • Hobbits – 2 or 3 - male or female

Note: I would like to see one Hobbit be a Brandybuck, a younger one, perhaps taken from the list in the appendices, one who takes after Meriadoc in adventurousness, but is in his/her tweens and perhaps a little callow - for a Hobbit. But let the player be creative with it, of course. My basic idea here is that this Hobbit would go along with the party, assigned to it by Doderic Brandybuck (Doderic is about 7 years younger than Merry of the Fellowship of the Ring – a cousin of sorts)

Another Hobbit would be a Breelander. One would have to come up with independent motivation for this one, because I can't think (off hand) of why any Bree Hobbit would volunteer for such an excursion.
  • Humans – 1 or 2 - male or female

Note: A human Ranger seems like a natural fit. One other possibility would be a human veteran of the War who had settle in Bree. Just a thought. I could see the ruffian angle too. Adds a bit of zest.
  • Elves – 1 or 2 - male or female

Note: I could see an Elf from either Imladris or Lothlorien. Although it's more likely to be Imladris, since Lorien has emptied by now, and Elves of Imladris are those who have chosen to remain in Middle Earth. Knowing Uine or not seems just a matter of choice on the part of the player.
  • Dwarves - 1 - male (not a necessary character, but welcome)

Note: I believe that there were still Dwarves in the Ered Luin toward the time of the War of the Ring. Bree would be a natural stopping point as long as the Shire is open, but with the Shire now closed, anybody wishing to pass from the Ered Luin to Bree would be hard put to it indeed! There are two choices: either travel and trade ceased, or a detour route was made because people traveled anyway, and found their way around the Shire. My money is with the second. All that to say, there would be Dwarves in Bree.

Dwarves could be venturing to Bree in the name of trade - as in gold! They'd be keen to re-establish trade with the outside world, particularly as it would be in a period of re-building. Dwarvish skills and craft with stone would be in tall order about now.

Character types which would not belong: Any other racial type.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:26 PM   #42
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

This Discussion Thread for this RPG is now open to take on characters.

Read the proposal thoroughly, draft a descriptive and creative bio for your character using the Character Description Form, and write a well done First Post for your character to be submitted at the same time as your character description.
Make sure you have read the Opening Post for the game - it will give you information with which to craft this post.

Have fun!

~~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-13-2003, 02:31 AM   #43
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

And we are on our way, with many thanks to Piosenniel and all who have expressed interest so far! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Firstly, here are links that Piosenniel hunted out that may be of use during this RP.

They are online maps of Eriador and the Shire:

Eriador

The Shire
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 10-13-2003, 02:38 AM   #44
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Alatariel Telemnar submits the following for consideration. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? No, this is my first one.

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – Yes, The Green Dragon Inn

Character Profile

NAME: Finëwen

RACE: Human

WEAPONS: An elven sword and its sheath. It is attached to her belt. She carries a small dagger in her boot for safety.

APPEARANCE: Five foot and seven inches. Her long brown hair goes down to her waist. In more public places, Finëwen wears long dresses, draping to the ground, or she might wear a long skirt and shirt. She has green emerald eyes. She often wears her dark blue cloak and keeps the hood up. She wears a sapphire pendant around her neck at all times, a piece of her past that she holds dear to her heart.

PERSONALITY/ STRENGTHS/ WEAKNESSES:

After spending years in the wild, she is tough and rugged and is able to bear nearly all circumstances. Finëwen has a soft side and can be very caring and nice towards people she trusts. She is very skilled with a blade and a bow.

Being unafraid of death and fighting, she will fight for what she believes and is daring towards danger, even if she could be killed. Finëwen would die for the ones she loved and protect them when needed. She is a protector among the people she cares for. She is a fighter and will not be kept prisoner to anyone.

Her ability to fight is one of her strengths. She is also able to outsmart people in situations, which has gotten her out of some tight situations. She is determined, and will not let anyone take control of her. She will only do what she believes is right.

One of her weaknesses is she can be easily distracted and will sometimes go off track if she is. Whenever she sees someone being treated badly, she will often get involved, which might get her in trouble.

HISTORY:

Finëwen was born to human parents, and was separated from her father when she was still a young child. An elven couple found her on there travels to Bree and took her to raise, giving her the elvish name Finëwen. Her elven caretakers found that Firëwen’s mother had died in childbirth and her father, a ranger, was killed by wolves in the wild.

From there her elven parents took her to Imladris, where she spent the teen years of her life. Growing up around elves, she took over an elvish personality, and remained with them till she was eighteen.

She served with the Rivendell elves and protected their borders, along with other elves. Serving there for five years, she learned the ways of the woods. Remaining a female Ranger, she lived in the wild.
From there she traveled throughout Middle-earth, in search of somewhere to belong, and spent the next three years wandering the wild.

Alatariel Telemnar's Post

Finëwen rode up to the gates of Bree. The morning sun shone bright in the sky, which had a faint orange glow. ‘Who goes there?’ she heard a raspy voice behind the gate say.

‘It is I, Finëwen. I am heading for The Prancing Pony to meet a few other people,’ she said, taking the hood that had towered over her face, and placing it on her back. She dismounted her horse, who’s white coat was covered with mud from a long journey, and the day before’s rain. She carried only a bag around her shoulder and a sword partially hidden behind her cloak. The gates opened, and Finëwen lead him inside. There were several Bree people about, going about the early morning chores.

She took the white stallion into the stables and placed him in a stall to rest. She whispered something in his ear, and he whinnied in reply.

Then she continued into the Prancing Pony to rest from her journey. She hesitated in front of the inn, the inn that she had once visited when she was just but a wee child. Barliman Butter greeted her, ‘Will you need a room?’ he asked a smile came upon his face. He didn’t recognize her, and that seemed to please Finëwen. She smiled back.

‘Yes, I have traveled alone, and left my horse in the stables. He has gone through a long journey, and so have I. I shall be wanting a room for the night, possibly longer,’ Finëwen replied. She let her cloak back, revealing a dress of dark green, long sleeves draped from her arms. She stood straight and tall.

‘Yes, right away.’

Finëwen scanned the room for a familiar face. She spotted Falowik and Uien, along with two others sitting together. She walked up to the table; remaining calm, she took a breath and began to speak.

‘My name is Finëwen. I have come to join you on your journey,’ she said sitting down among them. Everyone paused for a moment. Looking at the new-comer, the table was silent for a moment. Then Uien broke the silence and introduced the four other people sitting around her.

[ October 15, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 10-13-2003, 02:52 AM   #45
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Please note - every submission will have an 'edit' on it - it is just me, setting the First Post up for transfer to the Game, should the character be chosen to play.

~*~ Pio
Old 10-13-2003, 08:28 AM   #46
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – No

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?
List them, please: I am in two, though I certainly have time for this one. I am in Resistance (which should be over sometime in November) and the Lingering Darkness
Please note you may play in only 3 games at one time.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES. I have posted in The Green Dragon Inn

NAME: Lira Nen of Ithilien

RACE: Sindarin Elf

WEAPONS: Lira carries a simple silver dagger, a gift given to her by her friend Esgallhugwen, with ivy/floral engravings upon the handle and blade.

APPEARANCE: Lira is decidedly ugly, which is rare in the race of the fair folk. Her hair falls limply to her waist and is pale yellow, like a weak sunbeam struggling through winter’s clouds, and it is streaked with many strands of white which is as pure as driven snow. A casual observer would at first think that she has no eyebrows, but, if they look closely, they will see that they are pure white and overshadow her eyes, which are large and round and are as blue as water upon a winter’s day which turn to cool ice when she is angered. Her high cheek bones are very prevalent. Her skin is pale and fine as ivory. She stands straight and is not slender, though she moves with the customary grace of the elves.

She often dresses in varying shades of green and blue. On this particular outing, she is wearing a hunter green dress that barely brushes her ankles; she also wears a silvery green tabard. Her dresses are girt at the waist by a belt made of intertwining vines of silver and gold. Her shoes are soft leather and she often walks about barefoot. She wears no jewelry. Her hair is left free when she is not traveling, but when she is, numerous braids are entwined about her head.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Lira is very skilled in both the arts of healing and of warfare. Her weapon of choice is a bow, being that she is an elf of the woodlands, but she is also competent with the knife or dagger. She is not easily angered, but has an inbred hatred of evil things and wickedness. Normally she is happy, quick to laughter and smiles, her blue eyes sparkle and she is full of life; but occasionally, sometimes for no reason at all, she can be plunged into depression, despair and sadness. When she is in this depressed state of mind, she moves listlessly and does her duties mechanically and is not alert. These spells of varying moods can last either for a few minutes, days, or even years (for those of you who know her in the Green Dragon, she is in a “happy” mood right now). She is very sympathetic when people suffer misfortune. She also has the uncanny ability to sense if something is wrong or if danger is close. She also has some ability in sensing the emotions of others. So she can tell if someone is angry, upset, sad, happy, whatever.

Lira does not judge anything, people or otherwise, hastily. Once she has come to a conclusion, it is difficult to change her mind. She is stubborn, which can sometimes be an asset, and loyal. Forgiveness comes slowly to Lira. She views things with a sense of reality and does not deny the truth when it is unpleasant.

Though often Lira is often alone by herself, through her own choice, she is terrified of ever being truly alone, where there really is no one to go to for help or comfort.

Though unfair to the eye, when she speaks her voice is as the laughing spring, the dancing river, or as soft as the falling rain. When she sings, it is hauntingly beautiful, enchanting both elf and man. Though her voice does not have healing qualities, it has brought hope to those who have succumbed to despair, brought comfort to the grieving, eased the path of the dying, and calmed the fear of men.

HISTORY: When Lira Nen was fifty years old, she left her dwelling in Mirkwood and journeyed to Imladris, where she dwelt for 170 years. There she learned lore and the art of the healing as well as many other things from the elves who dwelt there. After that she left and returned to Mirkwood, just in time to hear of a group of dwarves who had been imprisoned in Thranduil’s palace. Their later escape had always puzzled her. During this short stay, she met two elves named Merenwen and her brother Celohir with whom she fell secretly in love. Two years later, she journeyed to the golden woods of Lorien and there learned many things of value. She dwelt there for 75 years, with an occasional visit to Mirkwood. While living in Lorien, she had heard rumours of a shadow that haunted the dark forest: a vile thing that Mithrandir and another were tracking; she had also heard vague tidings of evil. Towards the end of the year 3017 the rumours reached their peak, and early in the year 3018, she rushed back to the forest of her birth, no longer heeding her parent’s plea for her to remain in safety in Lothlorien. In April, Thranduil’s realm was attacked and Lira served as a healer in the palace. In one of the subsequent attacks, Lira and a few others sallied out together to aid the elvish line that threatened to crumble under the fiendish tide of the orcs that mercilessly assailed it. It was in this attack that Celohir fell under the vile knife of the orc. Rushing to him, she sang to him to comfort him for she had always known that he would have journeyed to the Valinor long ago if the times had not been so troubled.

During this time of bloodshed and grief, Lira gradually lost hope and gave up to despair. No song came forth from her lips, and she grieved over the loss of many a fair elf who should have been singing on the shores of the Valinor. It was a blow to her during the War of the Ring, for she had not realized until she had returned to Mirkwood all the evil that had been growing and spawning the darkness of Mordor and in the white tower of Isengard.

After the war, she went with the elf colony that Prince Legolas founded in Ithilien, her parents accompanying her. They left a couple of years later and began their journey to the Grey Havens. In the course of the years that followed, Lira had journeyed several times to follow them to the Grey Havens, but she was often called aside by many things and often she would simply turn back and return to Ithilien. In the course of her travels she re-visited Imladris and the empty forest of the golden wood. She is in the Shire at this time because she had resolved to go to the Grey Havens, but became distracted with the beauty of the Shire and decided to tarry in the Little Folk’s land. Shortly before she left, a raven named Corn sent from her parents came to her at the Green Dragon and now he is always near her.

Imladris' post

Corn was bobbing rhythmically on Merkaliel’s head, who whickered pleasantly as Lira trotted down the dirt path that led to Bree. That morning she had come across an abandoned trail some hours ago and had left the rest of the search party to go and explore it, as it led roughly towards Bree. But after an hour or so it had switched direction and so she traveled cross country until she had hit the main path again. She had searched in the dust for the tracks of the others, but did not find them. It was near dawn now, but early morning mists enshrouded the two in a wispy mantle and seeping fog entwined itself around the mare’s hooves; the horizon was stained with crimson, while orange tendrils curled greedily clutching at distant mountain peaks.

A soft singing arose eerily from the dusky meadow that stretched to her left: the singing of passing elves as they wended their way as a silver river through the hills of the Shire. Lira reigned Merkaliel, and waited for the ethereal line to pass: Corn for once was silent and stood with unaccustomed stillness as he waited with her. She could see them now, their faint light thrusting the pressing darkness of early morning away. The first elf, strong and beautiful, stepped into the path and Lira said, her musical voice soft and low, “Mae govannen.”

The elf bowed low and returned the greeting. They spoke in the Sindarin tongue and another elf, a lady named Merenwen, asked, “Lira Nen, what are you doing here? I thought that long before you would have taken ship to the blessed land of the Valinor.”

Lira smiled sadly and said, “The fair lands of Middle-earth call to me still, Merenwen, she whispers continually in my ears of the hills, the dimpled vales, and little river of this land, of the mighty forests which have withstood the darkness, and of the victory over the Shadow. It brings me joy to see the meadows of Ithilien plush with green grass and to see the white wildflowers sway in the passing breeze.”

The elves were silent and Merenwen asked, “Where is your bow? You are an elf of Eryn Lasgalen and yet you carry a dagger?” Corn snickered derisively and glanced insolently with a beady eye at Lira.

“The dagger was a gift of a friend…I forgot to bring my bow with me when I departed from Ithilien. I was worried about my parents and…” Lira‘s voice trailed off. Corn croaked sympathetically, flapped to her shoulder, and ran his beak through the various strands of hair that had come unbound from the braids that encircled Lira’s head.

Merenwen sighed softly and, as the line of elves continued their journey, she called, “Namarie Mellon Lira. We will eagerly await you on the shores of the Valinor,” she said, as they continued their own journey.

Lira watched them slowly disappear into the night, their silvery glimmer lingering long after their forms had disappeared. She shook herself and prodded Merkaliel forward as she thought of the parting words of Merenwen; Corn squawked with indignation as he lurched forward at the sudden movement of the horse. Eight years ago her parents had left Ithilien and told her that they would journey over the land of Middle-earth and, after about seven years, they would arrive at the Grey Havens and take a ship to the Valinor. They had promised to send a message, a dove, telling her when they reached the Grey Havens. Eight years had passed, and no messenger had come. Stifled fear and worry rustled in her heart, for the paths had yet been dark when they had departed. They had not gone in a group as Merenwen had wisely done, but had set off by themselves, alone, with but bows and arrows for protection from the wilds and the lurking orcs and spawn of evil that remained.

Leaving the thoughts of her parents behind, she mused of her mission to Evendim. She would be accompanied by others in the search for the missing Eodwine of Rohan. Stiffening, Lira wondered who would slay the rangers and messengers of Gondor and now Rohan. Or maybe they were not slain, Lira mused as a new angle of the tangle of unanswered questions entered her mind. But surely some would escape? Or maybe they had met with a fate worse than death…or maybe they really were a pile of bleached bones, if their flesh had already decomposed, otherwise they would be mere carcasses with...Lira shuddered and saw that she had reached Bree.

The wooden gate was partially hidden in friendly shadows, and rapping her knuckles upon the rough wood, Lira patiently waited for the watchman to let her pass.

“Who goes there?” a man barked, opening the portal as he peered intently through the gloom.

“An elf maid,” Lira answered back. “I am looking for Uien.” Corn nodded his head vigorously and hopped again to the Merkaliel’s head and ran his beak through her silky mane.

The man nodded briskly at the name and said, “She’s staying at the Prancing Pony, Miss,” he said, gesturing in the general direction.

“Thank you,” Lira replied. She slowly made her way towards the Prancing Pony, handed her horse over to the stable master, and looked about her. Corn grinned mischievously at Lira and disappeared into a pile of straw.

Hobbits and men were laughing loudly as they conversed of the doings and happenings of life in the Common Room; a hobbit danced gaily upon a wooden table, encouraged by the cheers and toasts of his companions. Others sat quietly in the corners, just out of reach of the fire’s lurid light. Lira’s eyes roved the tables and finally saw Uien, Falowik and two other hobbits. Making her way towards them, she said, “Mae govannen, Uien.”

Edit: you'd think that after crafting this for several days and re-reading it over and over it would be perfect by now.

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Old 10-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #47
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO

List them, please: -Breelanders All!

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES– Which one? The Green Dragon

For your character please include:

Name: Esgallhugwen Elenglin

Race: Silvan Elf

Appearance: 6' 2", Esgallhugwen has a rather shadowy if not depressing disposition. She is pale even for an Elf; with striking cold grey eyes and dark hair flecked with silver. She clothes herself in the garb of the male Elves, though long ago Esgallhugwen could have been found wearing dresses of blue, silver or green. She now wears light-weight dark knee high boots, dark grey pants, forest green tunic embroidered with silver knotwork. Her wrists and upper arms are bound with silver embossed leather gauntlets and is often seen with her dark green cloak draped across her back and face.

Weapons: Deft skill with sword and bow, keen eyes and ears. Elven blade Nárkir and the Dark yew bow Dúrlin. Both gifts from her Mother before her murder.

Strengths/Weaknesses/Personality: Esgallhugwen is cautious when around people and in the wild. She barely ever talks and keeps to herself; this can be mistaken for cold hearted-ness. Though in loneliness, she is willing to help others in their desperate need. Deep down perhaps there is still some fragment of joy and love; she would never want to talk about how she is unable to recall a time where she was happy before it was shattered and destroyed before her very eyes. During her time at The Green Dragon she could not control the influx of painful memories causing her to have an episode. Esgallhugwen is a true companion in battle or the wild with her deft and cunning abilities.

History: Esgallhugwen has had an extremely dark and bloodshed past. She refrains from talking about it for fear she will bring a shadow onto that person or a spy from her Father is overhearing, that is why she prefers to remain hidden and cloaked.
Menelariel Luinhith, her mother, was the only prominent figure in the upbringing of Esgallhugwen. Menelariel ensured that her daughter had as much love and guidance as she could give. She was not alone in this task, with the aid of Calan, Celeb, and Nimorn; they aided many younger Elves and others before the oncoming of the shadow, knowing they would soon be betrayed.

Esgallhugwen's heart and mind are always at unrest. One night when her Mother and her were taking council with one another they were taken captive outside their home by a vicious group of orcs. They were dragged down into an orc pit, Esgallhugwen managed to kill two orcs with her bare hands, but four more took their place and for what seemed an endless abyss of days or nights, they were tortured and persecuted by ceaseless agony and pain. Anyone captured by Sauron's orcs never saw the light of day again and had extreme difficulty in keeping track of the passage of time. All there was was the hot searing pain of steel scoring through your flesh to keep you company in the pitch blackness of an orc pit.

Then out of the swallowing darkness came a light and a call, the light was not all that bright, but to eyes that had not seen even the faintest glimmer in months it was as bright as Elbereth herself. And the voice seemed like raging thunder or a great blast from a horn of war. So it was how she was delivered from the foul hands of the orcs by her people, loyal to her mother. But alas the light of day seemed as dark as the pit itself when news came that Menelariel was no longer among them in Middle-Earth.

She set herself free, not out of weakness but to spite all evil in the Mortal Lands; showing she could not be manipulated or controlled by the Dark Hand. Cold bitterness took hold of Esgallhugwen's heart. "Do not give up, your mother was strong, she bade me to give this message to you if chance came that this would happen; for she knew that it would. 'Dear Elenglin, do not lose hope in days of dark, light will come again, you must make haste back to your home evil hath befallen there, save all whom you can, you know of who betrayed us. Do not seek him out, he will come to his own end or perchance he will seek you out, be wary my child, if he finds you he will spare nothing to see that you suffer for disobeying him. Make haste! Many will perish. Light will come again! " Calan bowed his head in lament, embracing the grieving Esgallhugwen.

They sped across the barren lands to their home in the northwest to find it had been assailed by a mighty host of orcs and larger ones that none of them had ever seen before. The trees were ablaze like a funeral pyre, some of her people were fleeing, fighting, while others made no movement laying still in torn grass, wet with blood.

That night there were orcs piled upon orcs their blood reeking from the burning air, everything was up in blazing horror, some Elves said they could hear screaming from within, all that remains is rubble and ash. For years Esgallhugwen wondered with Morsereg alone in the wild, sundered in the terror and confusion from her kin.

Long wanderings brought them to The Shire where they took refuge in the Green Dragon Inn after being attack by a camp of orcs, all of which were slayed but not without taking wounds upon themselves. A friendship was founded with Lira after she insisted in trying to help Esgallhugwen with her emotional scars. Esgallhugwen gave a gift to Lira in friendship, a silver dagger.

Esgallhugwen's post

Esgallhugwen wandered through The Old Forest, crushing herbs with her mortar and pestle, while atop the strong sleek back of Morsereg. The herbs turned into a pink paste, giving off a strong aroma that tingled the senses.

She ducked her hand into the small satchel tied to her waist procuring a crystal jar; Esgallhugwen smoothed the paste to form a cream as she poured it into the jar. Tightening the lid carefully she popped it back in the pouch and set to work cleaning out the bowl and beginning another concoction.

Esgallhugwen sang softly in praise and respect for The Old Forest allowing her safe passage and the taking of precious herbs. She hoped that if others chose this path to Bree the forest would be as lenient and kind. She knew not whether others followed behind her, the path turned and twisted, there was no companion with her except for the powerful black stallion Morsereg, barely making a sound on the path.

Once out, onto clear land, Morsereg broke out into a gallop. the thick sappy green balm had been safely stored away. though displeasing to look upon being it an Elvish creation; the balm had a pungent odor that soothed the victim while it set to work on very deep or poisoned wounds, and it would last longer than dried herbs unused.

The sun sank behind them, but Morsereg raced on knowing his need of haste. He neighed triumphantly approaching the gate of Bree; Esgallhugwen called out to the gatekeeper, no reply, she called again, wishing she had a horn to make the gates tremble. The gatekeeper peeped his squinting eyes in the slot on the door. "What business brings ye to Bree...?" he paused not knowing if the cloaked figure was a man or a woman in the dimming light. Esgallhugwen threw back her hood riding up closer "I am to make my way to The Prancing Pony; for business I guess you have already been informed of. that is what you need to know and no more is of concern to you, sir" her Elvish voice sang. He quickly drew back the heavy wooden beam and pulled back the gate.

"Yes m' lady, some have already arrived, I'm sure they'll welcome thee gladly" he swung the gate shut with a clang, after she walked up to him. "I hope they shall too" she said riding up the road. She only caught a brief glimpse of Falowik days before racing off out of the stable at The Green Dragon on an errand. If Uien had arrived she would be the only one she knew of fairly well and would recognise due in part to meeting and promising Uien she would give her services helping to find the missing messenger of Rohan and to see what became of the other missing men.

Esgallhugwen drove up to the Inn, the familiar lights just beginning to flicker within. She stepped up to the threshold pushing back the door, her eyes beheld the distinct figure and face of Barliman Butterbur. He drew back remembering her as the dripping phantom that appeared days before, his face grew pale.

Esgallhugwen let out a laugh, regretfully drawing attention to herself, drawing back her hood; she was revealed to be an Elf, to Butterbur's relief and joy. He nearly toppled over trying to make his way to the counter. He tried to apologize but was silenced by Esgallhugwen's raised hand "no need to apologize, I should say that I am sorry for startling you when you first saw me weeks before as a wet phantom or wraith to your eyes no doubt" he smiled in thanks "your mount Lady...?" he stuttered embarrassed at his foolish reaction when she entered; "My name is Esgallhugwen, my horse has already been seen to by Hob I believe it was. May I inquire as to where Lady Uien or people who are waiting for her are seated? I have come to join them".

Butterbur guided her over to the table where Uien sat with two others, one presumably Falowik. Barliman introduced their new guest with surprising eloquence "Lady Esgallhugwen comes to join your table", Esgallhugwen thanked him and he went on his way.

"Greetings Uien".

Well That's that Hope there are no mistakes, but I'll be happy to fix them.

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Esgallhugwen ]
Old 10-13-2003, 02:02 PM   #48
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs?
Yes.

One. (Resettling the Lost Kingdom)

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan?
Yes, in the Green Dragon.

NAME: Thoronmir

RACE: Human (Dunedain)

WEAPONS: Longsword, dagger, longbow and 20 arrows

APPEARANCE: Dark, slightly reddish hair, wears a dark green cloak, has a scruffy look, rides a tall brown horse.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is quite good at fighting, although he usually prefers a peaceful solution to a conflict. However, if he has no choice but combat, he usually winds up winning. His best weapon is the sword.

HISTORY: He grew up in the Hills of Evendim along with his friends. He participated in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the Battle of the Morannon in T.A. 3019, when almost all of his friends were slain. After a younger man became leader of the Rangers, Thoronmir just couldn't fit in anymore, so he retired in F.A. 6 and has been wandering around Eriador ever since.

Meneltarmacil's post

At a not very respectable establishment on the outskirts of Bree, Thoronmir sat over in a corner sipping on a mug of ale. He had just won some money in a card game earlier. Suddenly a man stormed over to where he was sitting. Thoronmir recognized him as one of the other card players.
"Hey you!" the man shouted angrliy. "You'd better pay up!"
"Pay up?" asked Thoronmir. "But I won fairly."
"No you didn't!" said the man. "You cheated! I saw you!"
Thoronmir had not cheated, and the other man probably knew this and was just lying. "Listen," Thoronmir said. "I don't know why you think I cheated, but if you'd just explain-"
"Aaargh!" The man grabbed him and pinned him against the wall. "I'm through talking! You cheated me, and now you're going to pay me back or else!"
Thoronmir didn't want to have to fight, but now he had no choice. He threw the man off him and drew his sword. "I've been more than reasonable already, but you wouldn't listen to me. Now OUT." He gestured toward the door with his sword, and the man obeyed.

Thinking it was time to leave, Thoronmir decided to spend the night at a more respectable place-- The Prancing Pony. After getting himself a room, he went over to the bar in the common room and ordered some ale. He listened to the various conversations taking place, and when he heard the name of Evendim come up, he immediately began to take an interest in the business of a man and two hobbits sitting at one of the tables nearby...

Old 10-13-2003, 02:18 PM   #49
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Burzdol - check your PM's

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

Old 10-13-2003, 02:34 PM   #50
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Burzdol

Clear out your PM's, please - I cannot send you one until you do.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:06 PM   #51
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Goodness! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Imladris, thanks for the profile and first post for your character of Lira Nen. I take it you're interesting in one of the Elven characters listed.

Esgallhugwen, thanks also for the submission of your character Esgallhugwen Elenglin. I also understand that you're interested in one of the Elven characters.

Meneltarmacil, pleased to meet your Thoronmir character. One of the Ranger characters appeals to you, I believe. Interesting entrance to the RP, certainly attention grabbing. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Please let me know if I've erred in any of this. I shall let you know as soon as Littlemanpoet and I have spoken. Thanks for the work put into developing your characters and first post.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:54 PM   #52
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

I'm wondering if we can change our "characters needed" list to reflect our desire for someone to play the hobbits Falco Boffin and Gorby Brandybuck?

Falco is pretty well drawn already as a good looking and friendly hobbit who is prejudiced against non-hobbits, as well as pig-headed and has slightly too good an opinion of himself. Sounds like fun to play, no?

Gorby is a blank slate, except for the idea that he is young, callow, and inexperienced - which means almost the same thing, I suppose....

What do you think?
Old 10-14-2003, 02:16 PM   #53
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? no...

2.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES– Which one?
Green Dragon Inn

NAME: Lumiel Rovalhir

AGE: roughly 500 years old, give or take a few. (thanks Elora [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
RACE: Elf

WEAPONS A sword given to her by her "father" when he died and two daggers hidden on her body (boot and belt)

APPEARANCE: roughly 5'6", long brown hair flecked with golden highlights. She has beautiful blue eyes which seem almost to shift between shades with her mood. She appears to be a frail young woman but is surprising strong. She wears a dark grey tunic, leggings, and cloak with a black belt and dark brown boots.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: She is a very naive girl who knows little of the world but wishes to prove herself and to do right, no matter what it may cost her. She is extremely loyal and has a surprising strong will when she wants or needs to use it, which is not often. She is very shy as well, having grown up very isolated from people, but believes that there is good in everyone. Her weakness is that she can be too trusting and open with strangers sometimes, and puts more strain on herself than is necessary.

HISTORY:
Lumiel was born to high elven parents and lived a fairly solitary life with them in a small sylvan home away from other elves. She lived out her childhood happily with them, knowing only a few other elves besides her parents. When she was a young elf, on the verge of a child and beginning to become a woman, her parents decided that it was time to leave for the Grey Havens. They made arrangements with relatives of theirs and prepared for their journey.

They set off on their journey without any problems. Unfortunately, when they were nearly halfway to their meeting place, they were ambushed by a horde of orcs that had been passing through, and upon seeing the elves, couldn't resist a slight detour.

Lumiel's mother ran with her while her father fought for their lives. Valiant as he was, he was simply outnumbered and died among the orcs' coarse cries as a hero. Her mother ran, but not very far before the orcs surrounded her and Lumiel. Still clutching to her mother, the orcs slew Lumiel's mother and hacked the body to pieces for their own amusement in front of her. Terrified for her life and alone, she pleaded for mercy, not much more than a child at the time. The horde decided not to kill Lumiel, but rather to keep her for their own entertainment on the road.

For the next several months, she was their plaything. They whipped and scorned her, abused and threatened her, they humiliated and did every wretched thing that they could think of, until Lumiel lost all sense of who she was. She forgot everything: her parents, her language, her home, even her name.

The other elves searched when her family did not arrive as planned, but found only the mutilated bodies of her parents and no sign of her. The trail of the orcs had gone cold by then, and they gave up Lumiel for dead.

Chance saved her. The orcs split up and Lumiel was sent with the smaller group of about 15 or so. They happened to be passing unknowingly throught a "Ranger's" territory who spotted them. For his own reasons more than for Lumiel, he decided to rescue her. In the dead of night, he snuck into the camp and snatched Lumiel, who woke up to see the Ranger, whose name was Farin, and to her he appeared as some sort of shadowy fire demon come for her in the night. She screamed and woke the orcs, and in the most intense fight she had ever seen, Farin slew each and every orc there and left them to drown in their own filthy blood.

With Lumiel in tow, he disappeared into the night. Lumiel fought, but exhaustion took over and she slept. She awoke in a crude home with the bare essentials, but she was safe. Farin cared for her and healed her wounds. Over time, she grew to trust him and love him as a father, and so he was to her.

As Lumiel grew, Farin taught her all he knew as a Ranger, and she was an apt pupil. He taught her again her language and history, and restored to her her name, which was engraved on a ring she had on her when he rescued her.

But, as Farin was mortal(though be it a Ranger at that) and she was not, he grew old while she appeared to age a few years only closer to adulthood. On his deathbed, Farin revealed the truth to Lumiel about himself. He was a banished Ranger. When he was younger, much younger, his brother had been captured by orcs. He had rashly gone after him, and his fellow Rangers in turn had to go after him. In their pursuit of Farin, several of the Rangers were killed, though Farin was saved, but not his brother who had been mercilessly killed. Arathorn, Aragorn's father, had banished Farin to where he now lived and under pain of death he was never to leave his prison. Upon seeing Lumiel, he had the thought that perhaps he could use her to escape his prison, by saving an elven child either by returning the child or raising it to take revenge for him. But in time he grew to love Lumiel as she loved him, and banished all thoughts of ever abusing her in any way. Now he asked of her only two things: to find again her people and her destiny and to redeem his name to the leader of the Rangers, whoever that was. He also gave her his sword, and passed away shortly after. Lumiel buried Farin herself, and set out on her journey.

Along the way she met very few people, not being used to them, until finally she gained the courage to enter the Green Dragon Inn. There she met Uien and heard of her need and agreed to help, eager for a chance to prove herself and also redeem Farin through her deeds.

Lumiel's post

Lumiel hummed softly to herself in the pale yellow dawn of the morning as she rode on to Bree. The dew shone bright as jewels among the trees and on the grass on the road and her eyes seemed to twinkle in their light beneath her dark grey cowl. Not far ahead she saw the gate to Bree and quickened her horse's pace slightly.

She had ridden ahead of the company of Falco and the others the night before, a bit weary of the people and the crowded feeling she got from them. It was nothing personal, just how she was.

By now she was at the gate and a man peered out at her, seemingly confused. "Another lady traveling alone? Such strange things abroad nowadays.." he muttered to himself. Lumiel wasn't sure what he meant, then it fell into place as she realized that he must be talking about Uien.

"There be nothing in this world of anything, but thinking makes it so." said Lumiel to the man, smiling faintly. He quirked an eyebrow at her, still trying to make out exactly what it was that she had said. Not waiting for him, she spoke again. "I'm on business here for a search party. Perhaps you could direct me to where an elvish woman went?"

"Of course Lady. On yonder, at the Prancing Pony is where you'll want to go." answered the man politely. Lumiel nodded her thanks and went in and then dismounted, preferring to walk. She didn't have to go far before she came before the sign of the Prancing Pony, unmistakable even to a stranger. She hitched her horse to the post and soothed him with a word before heading inside.

Even though it was morning, it seemed fairly busy. She looked around searching for Uien, but before she could find her, a somewhat heavy man caught her attention. "Why good morning miss! I'm Barliman Butterbur, owner of this here establishment. And how can I help you?"

"Yes sir, I'm her to meet some people -" before Lumiel could finish, Butterbur pointed to a table where Uien and three men sat. She nodded her thanks and began to walk over before she was stopped by Butterbur. "Excuse me miss, but do you have a horse out front?" Lumiel nodded yes and he spoke again quickly. "Expected as much. I'll have my Hob put him with the Lady elf's horse." He smiled and went off shouting for Hob as Lumiel went to the table.

She smiled at Uien, happy to see her again as she took off her hood. "It's good to see you, Uien. I hope your journey went well?"

"Yes, all went well. Where are the others?" asked Uien, expecting them at any moment behind Lumiel.

"I rode ahead last night, they'll be here shortly." she explained, wondering who the men were that sat at the table with them.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:16 PM   #54
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Lumiel, thanks for the character profile. If you want to make her young, you could have her about 500 years old. That was the rough age of Legolas and he was considered youthful for an Elf. Just a thought. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Littlemanpoet I think that the two characters should be added to our character list.

Here it is, revised:
  • Hobbits – 2 or 3 - male or female
  • Falco Boffin - a handsome hobbit with a friendly outlook, Falco is suspicious of all non-hobbits and hence predjuiced against them. He has the tendancy to be staunchly stubborn and has a lot of self confidence, some say too much so. Already, Falco has a dim view of Falowik and Uien also.
  • Gorby Brandybuck - a young, inexperienced and callow hobbit who is related by way of a cousin to Doderic Brandybuck, the representative of the Master of Buckland. Gorby is a undauntedly merry chap who knows little of the grim doings outside his cosseted world. He possesses a daring spirit and is not adverse to pranks.

Consequently, Gorby nearly always has a quip or laugh ready and tends to embark lightheartedly on ventures that the more experienced would think twice about.

Note: I would like to see one Hobbit be a Brandybuck, a younger one, perhaps taken from the list in the appendices, one who takes after Meriadoc in adventurousness, but is in his/her tweens and perhaps a little callow - for a Hobbit. But let the player be creative with it, of course. My basic idea here is that this Hobbit would go along with the party, assigned to it by Doderic Brandybuck (Doderic is about 7 years younger than Merry of the Fellowship of the Ring – a cousin of sorts)

Another Hobbit would be a Breelander. One would have to come up with independent motivation for this one, because I can't think (off hand) of why any Bree Hobbit would volunteer for such an excursion.
  • Humans – 1 or 2 - male or female
    Note: A human Ranger seems like a natural fit. One other possibility would be a human veteran of the War who had settle in Bree. Just a thought. I could see the ruffian angle too. Adds a bit of zest.
  • Elves – 1 or 2 - male or female
    Note: I could see an Elf from either Imladris or Lothlorien. Although it's more likely to be Imladris, since Lorien has emptied by now, and Elves of Imladris are those who have chosen to remain in Middle Earth. Knowing Uine or not seems just a matter of choice on the part of the player.

• Dwarves - 1 - male (not a necessary character, but welcome)
    Note: I believe that there were still Dwarves in the Ered Luin toward the time of the War of the Ring. Bree would be a natural stopping point as long as the Shire is open, but with the Shire now closed, anybody wishing to pass from the Ered Luin to Bree would be hard put to it indeed! There are two choices: either travel and trade ceased, or a detour route was made because people traveled anyway, and found their way around the Shire. My money is with the second. All that to say, there would be Dwarves in Bree.

Dwarves could be venturing to Bree in the name of trade - as in gold! They'd be keen to re-establish trade with the outside world, particularly as it would be in a period of re-building. Dwarvish skills and craft with stone would be in tall order about now.

Character types which would not belong: Any other racial type.

Whilst we're considering the wonderful work and characters put in so far, I encourage people to consider playing a hobbit character.

They're central to this RP and we can't really set off without one.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 15, 2003: Message edited by: Elora ]
Old 10-15-2003, 12:16 PM   #55
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I received permission from Elora to do this, so here is a charcter description for a hobbit:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO
List them, please: Resistance and Lingering Darkness

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES -- The Green Dragon

NAME: My name is Gorby Brandybuck , but most call me Orb, because they say my thinking has a tendency to go ‘round an’ round in circles.

AGE: I’m still in my tweens yet, and because most people say I act younger than my age, I’ll just as well not state it.

RACE: Hobbit -- which is rather obvious in my opinion.

WEAPONS: Weapons? I’m lucky if I can chop the firewood for supper without cutting my finger. But, in a pinch, I can shoot a stout a cross bow, gift of my father.

APPEARANCE: I’m kind of…well…sturdy-looking, like some distant relative of mine: Meriadoc Brandybuck. I have fair curly hair, shot with streaks of reddish brown and I have a nice big pair of hairy feet. I like to dress in various shades of greens and browns.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: I always wonder why they ask you that because how can you really know one’s self if you are one’s self? I mean most people have either a horribly high opinion of themselves (such as one Falco Boffin) or an intolerably low opinion of themselves (such as my sister). But on the whole I guess I am curious about the world in general, which as sent me into too many straights to count on one hand. Generally, though, I like to have a bit of smoke, lying on my back upon a green hill, and watch the clouds morph into shapes. I love to sleep…sleeping is so peaceful, so pleasant, and a time to think about the world in general: not gossip, but of the trees, and rivers, and of insects and things. My sister, Lily Brandybuck, says I’m lazy, but I disagree because I read, write, draw, sculpture, and paint when I do have spare time, which I usually have plenty of, considering ‘I don’t do anything.’

HISTORY: I don’t have much of a history, at least not an interesting, dramatic, traumatic, hear-rending, daring, roguish, pitiful one. Actually, to hero standards, it’s inexpressively dull. I was born in Buckland, I grew up in Buckland, and I’ll more than likely die in Buckland, if the Hills don’t take that privilege away at least. Of course, if I do end up dead, I’d be much obliged if one of the people accompanying the search would bring me back home and bury me proper like.

Imladris' post

Doderic was looking at me pointedly: I knew that glance full well, and I quailed and trembled beneath it. I had been summoned from my afternoon smoke and that boded ill in my opinion. I cleared my throat and said, “Yes, Doderic?”

“I was wondering if you would do something for me,” he said smoothly, looking at me kindly but that only made me more uncomfortable. I stood uneasily on one leg and scratched at a poison ivy rash with a toe: a managed to nod. “I was wondering if you would like to go on a search party?”

“I’d much rather not,” I said hastily.

“And why not?”

“Because,” I said, beginning to list reasons on my fingers, “I am no good with any type of weapons, you know that I can’t even find my vest when it’s right under my very nose, I can’t hide very well, I ---” and I was rudely interrupted by Doderic.

“Which is the very reason why you should come,” he said. “Think of this as a learning experience where you can fix your faults.”

“Is this a ploy to get rid of me so that I don’t bother anyone with my ‘laziness’?” I asked suspiciously. It drove Lily mad that I stood out there to have my smoke, rain or shine. She was always complaining of cleaning the house and sweeping up after my lingering ashes that always somehow fell from my pipe.

“Good heavens, no!” Doderic cried. “That’s just your sister and she doesn’t mean half of what she says anyway. You’ll be meeting a man named Falowik in the Prancing Pony,” his eyes sparkled here -- he knew how much I enjoyed visiting Bree. “And there’ll also be an elf there as well -- Uien I believe. Falowik is a man, some don‘t trust him and he has a lousy reputation around in Bree, but…well, an elf trusts him so I suppose he is not too bad. A man of Rohan, Eodwine, disappeared in the Hills of Evendim and they are gathering a search party to see if they can either find his remains or himself alive.”

“Oh,” I said absently, playing with my leather belt. So it was a rescue mission for a man that wasn’t even around in these parts (which I honestly didn’t mind in the least). But then we’d have to go travel up North, where the cold perpetually lingered, and I honestly didn’t look forward to the nasty trudging over rocks and hills. I would miss the Shire -- it was my home after all. I sighed: But on the other hand, I would have a chance to see Bree, a most tantalizing place, a place where there was much to learn. I especially liked to visit the Blacksmith, and watch him hammer the metal into various shapes. It was a wonder how fire could melt it, enable it to bend to the smithy’s will. Fire in and of itself was pretty fascinating anyway: so lurid, so bright, so intoxicatingly exotic, yet it could be harmful and deadly, too. “Why don’t you come?”

“I have business here, Orb. You know that.”

I sighed and left and went to pack my few belongings. I brought an ample supply of weed, a few pipes in case some would like to join me for a bit of smoke, a pen and some parchments as well also found their way secretly into my bag, for I knew Doderic would have a fit if he knew I would bring something so superfluous as they.

Some time later the next day, Doderic and I reached Bree and meandered my way to the Prancing Pony. I enjoyed watching the lasses work and on this particularly fine day, they were doing the washing. The scrub of the clothes upon the washboard, the frothy soap, and the sight of the lines of vests, bodices, blouses, skirts, and breeches was a pleasant sight to behold.

Doderic told me to keep dawdling and all too soon I found myself at the Prancing Pony and there I saw Falowik. He was a rough man with fair hair, but it looked as if he had seen much hardship and sorrow. I, particularly, didn’t see what was so wrong with him: a bit rough ‘round the edges maybe, but certainly alright.

And then the elf came, a fair maid, but not quite how I pictured them, from Master Merry’s description, least ways. We sat and I ordered ale for them all and watered wine for Uien for that was what she told she would rather have. Then we waited.

Gorby is not stupid: just simple minded, gentle, and a typical hobbit. Pretty naieve too.

Old 10-15-2003, 02:29 PM   #56
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thanks for that profile Imladris. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] We'll talk it over and let you know soon.

I have fine news, [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

Littlemanpoet and I are too pleased to let the following people know that their characters are accepted into the RP:

Alatariel
Imladris - Lira Nen of Ithilien
Esgallhugwen
Meneltarmacil
Lumiel

That pretty thoroughly fills the Elven contingent and part of the Mortal Man.

Those considering joining, please take a look at a Ranger or similar character or a Hobbit. Personally, I have a prediliction for hobbits as they are such wonderfully adept creatures. Be it humour or getting on with business, Hobbits have a unique perspective that is always a joy to write.

We need a good 3 or so hobbits, and at least one more Man. Let's not forget the Dwarves either.

Old 10-15-2003, 06:48 PM   #57
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

Can I just edit my post? Elora forgot some spaces... I think that happens when you copy and paste...

Alatariel Telemnar's Post

HAS BEEN CUT AND PASTED AS REQUESTED -- PIO

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 10-16-2003, 01:46 PM   #58
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Oops [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] .... my parents always said I'd regret not learning to count. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Sorry Pio, and all, for the confusion.

We have a fully tally of Elves and Men.

We require 2 more Hobbits, one of which will be Falco Boffin.

There's also room for a Dwarf still.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:50 PM   #59
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

Thanks for changing it Pio! I didn't want it to look bad. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 10-16-2003, 04:53 PM   #60
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

I was working up a character description and first post, but the computer on which I had saved my files has been disconnected and I won't be able to use it for about two-three more days. I was fortunately able to e-mail half of my character description to myself just in case something like this happened.

My question is wether or not I can post up the half that I have right now and then post the other half in about two days... the RPG won't start at least until then, right?

I can also start working on re-doing the descrition with the half I have right now, but that will also take a few days to finish. So may I post up the half I have now(and post the second half later), or shall I redo it and then post?

[ October 16, 2003: Message edited by: kittiewhirl1677 ]
Old 10-17-2003, 05:05 AM   #61
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Imladris, pleased to say that you've got a great handle on the Gorby character. So consider him yours for this RP. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Kittiewhirl1677, look forward to seeing what you come up with. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

We still have space for 2 Hobbits, one being Shiriff Falco Boffin, and a Dwarf.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 08:36 AM   #62
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

kittiewhirl

Since there is no way you can get the character description/First Post up for 2 or 3 days - just wait until you have everything done and then post it all together please.

Are you working on a Hobbit or a Dwarf character?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:12 AM   #63
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I haven't played a Hobbit in awhile, so here it goes. It may be edited, depending on what the game owners and I find that could be improved.

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? ? YES - Which one? The Long Winter, The Hobbit?s Gift (owned), Holiday in the Sun (cameo), In the Shadow of the Star, Corsairs and Corsets (co-owned)

2.) How many RPG's on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? - One

List them, please:

Breelander's All!

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? ? YES ? Both

NAME: Anson Brandybuck

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: Anson has a small bow and arrow he learned to use when he was very young from his father. He is fairly skilled with it, though he has never had to use it for anything other than hunting trips. However, he also has a dagger, about sword-length for a Hobbit that he got for his twenty-fourth birthday, just a few weeks ago. He isn't very good with it yet, though he practices often.

APPEARANCE: Anson is average height for a Hobbit, and that pleased him. His father was also average, but his mother was extremely short (for a Hobbit) and he was afraid he'd take after her. His eyes are a deep grey, and his hair so dark brown that it looks almost black. He constantly has an expression of stupidity on his face, but behind that rather foolish-looking face he has a sharp mind, though it is inexperienced.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: This Hobbit is totally naïve to all that is dangerous and difficult. He lived a very sheltered life and was never exposed to anything that was bad. The company he kept was good, the places he went were good, and he's never seen so much as a fistfight. However this should not bring anyone to think that he is a totally inexperienced and cowardly hobbit. His braveness is very great, though it has not yet been shown. But he does prefer to stay at home and, oddly enough for a Brandybuck, doesn't like the prospect of adventure. As it is said, it makes one late for dinner.

He is also a bit clumsy (which goes along well with his constant expression and decreases his reputation even more), or shall it be said very clumsy. He doesn't look where he's going and even if he does he's bound to trip over rocks and the like. He's been known to walk into doors, as well.

Despite that, Anson is interiorly very intelligent, though nothing has ever been done to train his mind, probably because nobody knows he's smart. No opportunity has ever arisen. He's very polite and gentle, and though he gets angry often he never shows it and instead remains cool and logical. The only time(s) he has been seen to speak angrily was when he was speaking to his father.

Anson is also very protective. He has two younger siblings, and he watches them like hawks. To feel they are in any danger of being hurt in any way, psychically or not, he will immediately rush to their defense. He is the same way with anyone he knows, and even those he doesn't, as long as he feels they are good. Injustice has never been seem by him, except when he felt his mother was being unjust for scolding his little brother, but that one event alone which wasn't really unjust was enough to show that he has a strong dislike for it, and cannot tolerate anything unfair.

It must also be mentioned that Anson is very tidy. No more about that needs to be said.

HISTORY: Anson was born to Posco and Salvia Brandybuck in Buckland, and, as has been said before, grew up being carefully guarded and sheltered against all the evils in the world. He hardly ever saw his father when he was young, and did not grow very attached to him, so their relationship is a bit difficult. Posco can't understand his son, and Anson can't understand his father. This often results in great fights, though without loud shouting, as Anson is not that type of person.

His history is not very interesting, for he is merely a young Hobbit who has gone on no adventures and has never left his home. He did, however, grow up with Gorby Brandybuck and is quite a good friend of his, and that is really the reason why he's going with the search party.

--------------------------------------------

Nurumaiel's post

Anson Brandybuck stood outside the door to his father's room, fiddling with one of the buttons on his coat. He didn't want to talk to his father. Every time they discussed something, whether it was important or not, they got into a fight. But this was so important... he had to have his father's permission. Otherwise he would be running away, and he didn't want it to come to that. As a matter of fact, he didn?t even want to go on this adventure. But Gorby asked him, and he couldn't refuse Gorby. Gorby was, after all, a bit nervous about this whole search party himself, and he might need someone he knew to come with him, and since they had grown up together...

"I can't let Gorby down," Anson murmured, and knocked on the door, making up his mind he wouldn't say something clever like the last time that would make his father angry. It made his father angry because his father couldn't say something equally as clever. Anson was known as very clumsy, but nobody knew how really intelligent he was.

"Come in!" his father cried, sounding annoyed. Anson took a deep, shuddering breath. That wasn't good. If his father was annoyed, then his father wouldn't be willing to listen. Sure, he and his father might not get along very well, but the latter was just as protective and he wouldn't like the idea of his son joining and going off with a search party. Not at all.

Anson pushed open the door and put a forced smile on his face, preparing himself to sound pleasant. Not that Anson ever sounded unpleasant, but sometimes he sounded intelligent and that annoyed his father.

The room was very spacious though rather bare of furniture. Posco preferred it that way. One side of the room had a large bed, while the other had a desk. Posco's job, a postman, didn't require a desk, but he wanted one. It made his job seem more professional. Anson could not say, however, that the desk did not come in handy. Posco was in charge of sorting out letters and delivering them, and the desk gave him all the room he needed to sort them out. At the moment letters were scattered all over the desks, and Anson felt deeply annoyed. He himself was very neat and tidy, and he felt a strong urge to clean them up.

When his father, whose name was Posco, saw who it was, he ducked his head and grumbled, "Oh, it?s you." The memory suddenly came to Anson that only that morning that had gotten into another fight. That decreased his chances of getting his father's willing approval. But he most likely wouldn?t have had it anyway.

"Well, Dad, I have something to tell you," Anson said. "I was talking to Orb today, and he wants me to go somewhere with him."

"Oh yes?" Posco said, acting as though he hadn't really heard. His hands were moving quickly, sorting through the letters, but Anson could see that his father had heard and was listening eagerly. "Where does he want you to go?"

Anson put his hands behind his back and took a deep breath, feeling rather like a rabbit being guarded closely like a hawk. The hawk wouldn't kill until the rabbit gave it the signal to in this case. Oh no, if Anson remained silent the hawk wouldn't kill. But he had no choice. After all, Gorby was depending on him. So Anson told his father all that Doderic had told Gorby (which Gorby had then passed on to Anson).

There was no hesitation from his father. "No." That was all that was said.

Relief was Anson's first feeling, but then as he thought of Gorby he stiffened. "Yes," he replied.

Posco's face twitched, but he controlled his anger and, leaning back in his chair, looked his son right in the eye. "You can't say that until you've come of age, son, and you still have nine good years. Since I'm your father I have the authority to say no, and I do say no."

"But Gorby-"

"I don't care what Gorby says or doesn't say. You're not going. Why, you ask? It might be dangerous, and you'd be safer at home."

"And what happens when I do come of age and go out travelling and I don't know anything about the Shire beyond the front steps of my own home?" Anson asked. He didn't care that he wasn't going to go travelling when he was older. He said that to make a point, regardless of whether it was true or not.

"No, and that's all. You can go now."

Anson did go. He left the room, he went into the kitchen and grabbed a few things to eat, put on a coat in case it grew chilly, and left the hole. Unsure of where he was going or how long it would take, he turned east and began to walk. Whether his father liked it or not, he was going to Bree to attend the meeting.

And now, two days later, he had entered Bree. He shivered a little as he thought of what had happened back at his home. It brought a cold feeling upon him. He had run away. He had told himself he didn't want to run away, and that he wouldn't leave without his father's permission. And he here was, in Bree. He hadn't even said goodbye to his mother. That was the worst of all. What would she think?

"I hope you're grateful after what I've done for your sake, Gorby," Anson muttered. He wanted to ask someone for directions to the Prancing Pony, where Gorby had told him everyone was, but he was too afraid. After all, it couldn't be that difficult to find it, could it? Well, he had already been wandering around for an hour. What was another two or three.

But there it was! And Gorby was probably there. Anson, forgetting all his troubles back at his home, rushed forward with delight. Grasping the handle of the door, he pushed it open. His journey was over... for now. There was always, of course, the search party. But in that journey he'd have Gorby.

[ October 17, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-17-2003, 02:00 PM   #64
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I have another problem now... earlier when I was looking through the thread, I only saw one human, so I started writing a descrition for another one. It looks like there's no space left. I'm not too good with hobbits or dwarves, but I might be able to make a new character descrition although this will take a bit longer. Is there any preference to which one I do(hobbit or dwarf)?

[ October 17, 2003: Message edited by: kittiewhirl1677 ]
Old 10-17-2003, 02:10 PM   #65
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Kittiewhirl - check your PM's
Old 10-17-2003, 05:46 PM   #66
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Nurumaiel Thank you for that character profile and first post. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I hope to be able to give you some indication tomorrow.

Piosenniel, you're correct. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] We have yet to fill Shirrif Falco Boffin (Hobbit) and a unspecified Dwarf character
Old 10-19-2003, 02:57 PM   #67
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I've been searching on information for a proper dwarf character descrition, but I wasn't able to find any. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I don't know if I can do my description or even participate in the RPG without the information... I would really appreciate some help. If a dwarf is not a very crucial character in this game, is it possible for me to not participate in this RPG? I'm truly very sorry for making you all wait, but I did try and I'm feeling kind of lost now.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:16 PM   #68
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

We understand, kittie, if you'd like to wait for an rpg with a character type more to your liking. No hard feelings. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2003, 07:30 PM   #69
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Kittiewhirl, to echo Littlemanpoet's sentiments, no hard feelings. I well understand how important it is to feel as though you have a firm grasp on your character in order to use them in a RP.

The best I can do is refer you to Appendix A, section III 'Durin's Folk' of "Lord of the Rings". "The Hobbit" is sprinkled with tidbits about dwarves as well.

We plan to start this RP very soon, in the next day or so possibly, so you'll need to have something pulled together soon.

Nurumaiel, we love Anson. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Welcome aboard.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:24 PM   #70
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I'll see if I can do something, but in case I can't, you can go ahead and start without me.
Thankyou SO much for understanding!

-Kittie
Old 10-22-2003, 05:37 PM   #71
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Kittie, sorry to do this but I think the time has come for us to start this RP....

I'll take on the character of Falco Boffin (yipee). The party is comprised of Hobbits, Humans and Elves. The Dwarves must be busy at a convention at the Lonely Mountain or somesuch... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Pio, could you please set up our RP thread?
Old 10-23-2003, 02:57 PM   #72
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Ah, then that shall be my task for today. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Pio.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:46 PM   #73
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

OK, here's Falco Boffin's Profile:

Character Description Form

NAME: Falco Boffin

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS:

Falco carries a dagger and a short sturdy blade of dwarvish origin. Both are serviceable and part of his equipment as a Shiriff. He also has a cudgel that he tends to use as a walking stick.

APPEARANCE:

Falco is a rotund hobbit, well padded as precisely a Hobbit should be. He has flushed cheeks, bright blue eyes and brown, wavy hair. He wears the uniform of Shiriff, brown pants, cream shirt with red braces, a blue waist coat and a green jacket. The jacket has seven small stars embroidered on each lapel, and silver buttons. His feet are large and hairy, his step light when he wishes it to be, as is customary for Hobbits. He is particularly stout, with a stomach that reflects his unflagging love of ale and vittles.

PERSONALITY:

Falco is a Hobbit who takes his responsibilities very seriously, sometimes a little too much so. He has a fundamental dislike of strangers and Big Folk. He views them with suspicion, seeing them as noisy and prone to causing trouble. Falco wants nothing more than to preserve the Shire’s peace, and Big Folk have a habit of upsetting that in his experience. Falco is not a mean spirited Hobbit. He can be as cheery as the next. His determination to see his responsibilities lived up to can come off as overbearing pride. Certainly, Falco enjoys the certainty of his point of view.

STRENGTHS:

Falco is a determined and steadfast individual. His persistency often bears fruit. He has a strong sense of loyalty and kinship with his folk and will do astounding things in the name of Hobbits, particularly his family. He is dedicated to ensuring the peace after the disruption of Sharkey and will brook neither impediment nor disturbance to the harmonious serenity of the Shire. Falco knows the Shire and each farthing well, and loves it dearly. He can be fierce indeed when protecting that which he loves and is a force to be reckoned with at such times.

WEAKNESSES:

Falco’s fondness of chatter and extolling the virtues of civic responsibility and pride can make him wearisome company. He can be intrusive and clumsy of speech, giving offence, without even realising it. This is his bane when dealing with folk not of the Shire. He is suspicious of the lands and all who inhabit them beyond the Shire. He has a less than flattering opinion of Big Folk. His experiences with Sharkey’s ruffians soured his view on Men. They’re either violent or noisy or unruly. As for Elves, he thinks all they are concerned with is fine food and merriment. When things turn grim, they run for the open sea. In short, all Big Folk can ever hope to be for Falco is at the best a inconvenience and at worse a despicable craven or ruffian. This prejudice colours all his views and words and is a serious disadvantage for one venturing beyond the Shire.

Falco’s stubborn, muleheaded pride is also a prickly thing that often takes a hold of his collar and drags him down strange “adventurous” paths that normally he’d have no interest in at all, being a sensible hobbit as he believes himself to be.

HISTORY:

Falco had a peaceful childhood and tweens, as did most of those blessed to be born into the Shire. His family comes from Bywater, adjacent to Hobbiton and Tookland. He grew up surrounded by the infamously rambunctious descendants of the Old Took. However, Falco prided himself on his level headedness. He did not get up to the same sorts of exploits, save where his pride was at stake. It was then that Falco Boffin was as tookish in his tomfoolery as the famed Peregrin Took. Such incidents were blessedly few and far between, else Falco would have been hard pressed to survive his childhood.

He was part of a large family, the third eldest of three brothers and two sisters. In such a busy house, Falco learnt that it paid to make a place for yourself. His life was largely untouched by the events of the wider world until Saruman arrived in the Shire at the end of the War of the Ring. In the year 1419, or 3019 for any who did not use Shire Reckoning, Falco found his mettle tested by Sharkey and Sharkey’s ruffians.
Falco saw his mother, father and most of his brothers and sisters imprisoned and enslaved. He chafed against the Big Folk that came as a scourge to his beloved Shire. When Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry rode into Bywater to rouse the folk to fight back, Falco astonishingly was one of the first to answer their call. Folks laugh now as they recall what he was heard to say in response to a jibe about turning into a ruffian himself. “It may be disturbing the peace, but we’ll have none to disturb tomorrow unless we break it today.”

The Battle of Bywater is now part of Shire history, and Falco played an honourable role in that. He did not do murder, but took his far share of thumping the skulls and anything else in reach of the Big Folk that preyed upon them. His part was recognised when he was later made Shiriff. Since then, Falco has gone hither and thither in the name of his office, which he takes very seriously. He himself has seen what happens when Big Folk are allowed in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elora's post - Falco

Falco slid off his pony with a sigh of relief that he barely remembered to repress lest anyone hear him. He stretched his aching legs and hitched his mount next to a row of other horses. He saw that Uien's was tied up along with Lumiel's and he huffed his way into the Prancing Pony as quickly as he could.

Falco spotted the table easily. He puffed his way past the bar and the barkeep directly towards where Doderic and Gorby sat. Falowik was there also, as was Uien and the other Elf, Lumiel. He noticed that there were others, some he knew and others he did not.

Well, at least one is a sensible hobbit, he rumbled to himself as he neared. There were two more Elves that he recognised from Uien's recruitment. He nodded stiffly at both. Also there were two more Big Folk that Falco studied unabashed, one a burly looking man and the other a woman.

"A fine mess, no mistake.... but maybe these won't wander off every time the sun sets and the stars peek out." Falco was not happy at being one of the last to arrive at all. He was a Shiriff! His comment was a mutter but it drew the attention of Uien. He saw her gaze shift, but she said nothing for at that moment the two new Big Folk, which Falco had renamed as Big Trouble already upon first sight, were volunteering. If he'd had gotten here sooner, perhaps he'd have been able to send them off. As it was Doderic was busy accepting their offers to help. Falco sighed heavily, turned and lifted a hand for a pint of ale.

He'd need it, he reckoned, with this search party.

"Shiriff Boffin," Doderic said, "Pleased to see you could join us." Falco turned back to the Master of Buckland's second, cast a long look around the table of predominantly Big Trouble and nodded stiffly as he took a seat.

"Well, you will be needing folk with common sense if young Eodwine is to be gotten out in one piece." Falco privately wondered why anyone would want to retrieve a messenger so lax as to allow himself to be taken. Like as not, the lad had been daydreaming at the time. Still, it lay not to him to gainsay the Master of Buckland and Falowik had first brought the dubious news to him. So if the Master said they were to fetch this Eodwine, he'd be at the forefront doing exactly that.

Assuming this Eodwine really existed. Falco wouldn't put it past Big Folk to make up tales for the sake of mischief. His scepticsm was shielded by the delivered half-pint of ale that arrived on the table. He took a long grateful draught and set himself to listening to the talk at the table. They'd have need of his expertise and opinion, him being the Shiriff and all.

I'll get the PM's done shortly and a list of character post order to you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ October 24, 2003: Message edited by: Elora ]
Old 10-23-2003, 05:17 PM   #74
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Alatariel, please clear out your PM's.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:37 PM   #75
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

HERE ARE THE PLAYERS AND CHARACTERS:

Elves
  • Elora - Uien - female
  • Imladris – Lira Nen – Sindar – female
  • Esgallhugwen – Esgallhugwen Elenglin – Sindar – female
  • Lumiel – Lumiel Rovalhir – female

~*~

Humans
  • littlemanpoet - Falowik Stonewort - male
  • Alatariel Telemnar – Finwë – Ranger – female
  • Meneltarmacil – Thoronmir – Dunedain/Ranger – male

~*~

Hobbits
  • Imladris – Gorby Brandybuck – male
  • Nurumaiel - Anson Brandybuck - male
  • Elora - Falco Boffin - male

The Game is now open for play! Have fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Remember to remove all signatures from the Game posts - including any 'SAVES' you do.

Those of you playing more than one character:

At the top of your posts - put the character's name you are writing for.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2003, 03:01 PM   #76
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Elora and lmp

Is Doderic to be an ongoing character - played by both of you?

If so - please get a short Character Bio up for him on the Discussion Thread.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2003, 07:10 PM   #77
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Doderic will not be going with the party, but merely see that they set out as per the writ of his superior, the Master of Buckland.

As such, I had seen him as a short term, NCE that would be stored away once the search party departed Bree.

Such is my opinion though. LMP may have a different point of view.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:59 AM   #78
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

To all players

I would like to see the gamers for this RPG posting at least twice a week. I think that will be doable for you, and it will keep the storyline flowing well.

In addition to this, please try to check the Discussion Thread once a day, or at least every other day, as well as the Game thread, so that you will know where the plot is at present.

If you are going to be gone from the Game for a while - please post the dates on the Discussion Thread that you will be gone, so that others will not be waiting for your character to post. Also, let others know if they may carry your character along in their posts while you are gone.

Thanks!

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator
Old 10-25-2003, 07:26 PM   #79
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Great work everyone! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I have the feeling that this is shaping up to be a fine tale.

Piosenniel, thanks for that outline. We have a lot to get through in 13 weeks or so. I think it'll be essential we stick to your request if we're to do justice to our characters and the tale.

Oh, and an excusatory note for Falco. I hope he hasn't inexcusably offended any of you or your characters. He's just... confident... of his abilities as a sensible Hobbit of good character and social standing. He means well, really he does...

I'm sure that, in time, Falco will have cause to rethink his prejudice of Big Folk... especially if one plucks him from an inconvenient and troublesome predictament on the way to Eodwine. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2003, 09:21 PM   #80
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Doderic is an NCE. He'll stay behind in Bree.