User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2004, 05:01 PM   #41
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Fallinel

Please check your PM's for a response to your observations on gaming in the Shire, Rohan, and Gondor.

And welcome to the game!

Looking forward to following the storyline as it evolves from all you writers!

~*~ Pio
Old 07-09-2004, 06:04 PM   #42
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ah, misread. Was in a rush. Sorry!
Old 07-09-2004, 06:16 PM   #43
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Araréiel, Fallinel,

I have been out of town for a few days, and it is good to see that you have joined our ranks.

Fallinel - Many thanks for refreshing my memory regarding that passage in The Hobbit. I think it may be a good idea for me to dredge out my copy and reread some of the material on Dale and Long Lake to refresh my memory overall!

~Child of the 7th Age
Old 07-10-2004, 08:09 AM   #44
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

I may have to dig out my version of the Hobbit as well! I remembered vaguely that passage, so thanks Fallinel for refreshing my memory.

Now... if only I could find The Hobbit! *searches around*

Ah, well, you're in Fallinel!

~Fëa
Old 07-12-2004, 12:10 PM   #45
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

CHARACTER LIST

** The Whitfields and Millwinds are next door neighbors **

Millwind Family

Parents

1.) Father - Arinn Elden Millwind (39y/o) - ArwenBaggins

2.) Mother - Willow Millwind (34y/o - sister of Mr. Whitfield ) - Araréiel

Children

1.) Daughter/Oldest Child - Elanor Millwind (14y/o) - Child of the 7th Age

2.) Son/Older Twin – Eli Ross Millwind (6y/o) - ArwenBaggins

3.) Son/Younger Twin – Eric Roland Millwind (6y/o) - Regin Hardhammer

~*~

Whitfield Family

Parents

1. Father - Rhysdan Whitfield (37 y/o - Arinn's brother-in-law) - Fallinel

2. Mother - STILL NEEDED

~*~

Children

1.) Daisy Whitfield - 8y/o girl - Nurumaiel

2.) Elian Whitfiled - 14y/o boy - Carry along character ONLY; may be used by other players as needed.

~*~

Dragon

1. Smaug – Kransha
Old 07-13-2004, 10:18 AM   #46
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

We only need ONE more person to play.... come one people!

~Fëa
Old 07-14-2004, 04:45 PM   #47
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Pippin Pondlily has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Farmer in the Dale

ArwenBaggins, I have never participated in an RPG before but it looks like it would be quite a bit of fun. I have posted once in the Green Dragon and dropped a note in one of the threads requesting to be a part of an RPG. I was PMed about this one, read it over, and thought it looked brilliant. Hopefully the below is acceptable to you…

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played In an RPG at the Barrow Downs? - No.

2.) How many RPGs on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? - None.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn? - Yes.

Profile:

Name - Esmerelda Whitfield

Age - 36

Race - Man of Dale

Gender - Female

Weapons - Whatever’s lying around to be used as a weapon: rocks, kitchen knives, walking sticks etc… Esmerelda will stop at nothing to protect herself, and the ones she loves.

Appearance - Esmerelda has beautiful long dark blond hair maintained by leather ties fastened a couple of inches behind her ears. Her facial features are very strong, almost bold with a sort of masculine quality that gives her a very strong and enchanting appearance. She has dark green eyes, and full, cleanly arched brows. Esmerelda is very tall for a woman, standing at around 5’10” with a well-built figure that commands attention and obedience. But she has a very gentle side to her as well that can calm and comfort her children.

Personality - Esmerelda is very firm but kind. She loves her two children very much and always does what’s best for them. Her tendency is not to be overbearing and to let them choose their own paths in life but she tends to want to direct them a little more to challenge themselves and put all their effort into what they want to do. While she approves of her son’s adventurous habits and curious nature, she is uneasy about Daisy’s dreaminess and hopes that with time her daughter will become more realistic like her mother and grow in strength and confidence. Esmerelda is very brave, intelligent and clever and maintains her household with the surest hand.

History - Esmerelda was born in the year 2734 in Dale to Paladin and Pervinca Storms. She was reared the middle of three daughters. Paladin worked at the local apothecary while Pervinca minded the home and children. Esmerelda’s oldest sister, Robin, took after her father and moved to Gondor to work as a pharmacist there and the Storms’ youngest daughter, Lily, died in child labor at age 19 leaving her husband a widower and childless.

In 2755, Esmerelda married Rhysdan Whitfield and moved into his home next door to his sister’s family. They had two children: Elian, born in 2756, and Daisy, born in 2762. Esmerelda grew to know and love the Millwinds very much and she is very close to Willow, her sister-in-law.

First Post:

Esmerelda stood over a cauldron of hot water and stirred with a thick staff her family’s laundry. Cottons and linens in earthy tones would surface and recede at random as they were soaked through in preparation to be soaped down and cleaned. She stopped for a moment to prod at the coals beneath the large iron pot and waited for signs of an orange glow before she resumed her stirring.

This was a wretched day for doing laundry. The sweltering afternoon heat was relentless as it beat down through the feeble shade of an old hickory and Esmerelda was very uncomfortable in her soft brown overdress and itched incessantly underneath the blue sash coiled about her waist.

Finally satisfied with the hot laundry she picked out one of Rhysdan’s shirts and set it hissing into a wide pan of cool water and draped it over the wash board. Securing the gathered ties of her linen chemise above her elbows she went to work soaping and scrubbing the shirt until the water was murky with dirt and grime. As she moved the fabric up and down over the ridges of the board the wooden disc that hung on a chord around her neck repeatedly knocked against the frame until she finally tucked it behind her into the back of her dress’s neckline, the front neckline she preferred for the hot weather being too low.

After four shirts, two of them Rhysdan’s and two of them Elian’s, Esmerelda sought out the water pump to refresh herself and splashed water onto her face and hands and in her mouth. As she was walking back to the cauldron a hot wind picked up and blew dust about the base of the cauldron and made the clothing hanging on the line snap in a frenzy. The hickory tree groaned and shuddered and the leaves rustled frantically. In the street and up across the hills Esmerelda could hear dogs barking and in the paddock outside the barn the horses reared and whinnied. She looked around for some explanation searching the horizons when an immense shadow passed across the fields before her. The woman shielded her eyes and squinted up into the sky. Her heart beat fast in her chest and her mouth opened in shock as she took in the gigantic, red-gold figure that soared overhead.

Esmerelda watched only for a second before quickly dousing the coals beneath the pot and abandoning the rest of her washing. She yanked open the back door of their home.

“Daisy! Daisy, come down here!” she called up the stairs to the bedrooms. There was no answer. “Daisy?” she walked into the kitchen and dining room area. The wind was ripping through the open window and whistling through the gaps in the boards. It had already blown the <A TITLE="Click for more information about flowers" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||flowers|AA1VDw">flowers</A> from table onto the floor and the hanging herbs and roots were parallel to the ground and spinning, straining against their strings. “Daisy!” Esmerelda shouted again. When it was clear that her daughter was not in the house, the tall woman ran out the front door into the street. She cupped her hands about her mouth and called, “Daisy!” There was still no answer and her voice had to fight the wind to be heard. Her eyes searched about her frantically, up and down the street but there was no sign of her daughter. Then she rounded the house and nearly stumbled upon her.

“Mother!” the little girl cried, leaping up from her huddled position alongside the house. She wrapped her arms tightly around her mother’s neck and buried her face into her shoulder. Esmerelda held her daughter tightly, whispered soothingly into her ear and ran her fingers through her hair. “It’s alright darling, I’m here, shh, it’s alright.” She went around again to the front of the house and stepped up onto the small porch ducking again into the doorway. Holding still to her daughter she crossed the living room into the kitchen and peered out the window. The dragon had flown to the edge of the town and was just out of sight. Then she glanced across the fields to the hills where her husband was tending the sheep. There was no way to reach him, undoubtedly he’d seen the beast. Suddenly she thought of Elian. Out for the day with his cousin, probably a mile north!

“Mummy, I’m scared,” whispered Daisy, her frightened body tense and salty tears hot against her mother’s cheek and neck. Esmerelda patted her back tenderly.

“It’s alright,” she said calmly, “we’re going to wait here for Daddy and Elian for a little while longer and then we’ll go over to see Uncle Arinn and Aunt Willow, alright?” Daisy nodded, her face still muffled in Esmerelda’s shoulder. “You’re a very brave girl,” she whispered, “it will be alright.” If Elian wasn’t back soon, she would take Daisy over to the Millwinds’ and go out to find him. She looked up again into the sky, the dragon was headed back their way…

I hope that’s alright!

Thanks,
- P. Pondlily

Last edited by Pippin Pondlily; 07-23-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #48
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

That was a wonderful profile and post for a new roleplayer! You're in Pippin!

So, Cami/Pio, looks like we've got everyone, and we're set to get the first posts up in the thread!

~Fëa
Old 07-14-2004, 05:45 PM   #49
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Hillo, hillo, hillo. Just a shout-out from your friendly neighbourhood dragon. Just to clarify, for all newcoming writers, I'll be posting a number of times a week to progress the action, as Smaug is the one causing the damage that all you hapless lads and lassies must escape from. Good luck to you, and, as a word of advice, keep as far from Smaug as you can, for he's not in the best of moods...and hungry.

How does that phrase go?: 'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.'

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 07-14-2004, 06:10 PM   #50
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

FINAL PLAYER/CHARACTER LIST

** The Whitfields and Millwinds are next door neighbors **

Millwind Family

Parents

1.) Father - Arinn Elden Millwind (39y/o) - ArwenBaggins

2.) Mother - Willow Millwind (34y/o - sister of Mr. Whitfield ) - Araréiel

Children

1.) Daughter/Oldest Child - Elanor Millwind (14y/o) - Child of the 7th Age

2.) Son/Older Twin – Eli Ross Millwind (6y/o) - ArwenBaggins

3.) Son/Younger Twin – Eric Roland Millwind (6y/o) - Regin Hardhammer

~*~

Whitfield Family

Parents

1. Father - Rhysdan Whitfield (37 y/o - Arinn's brother-in-law) - Fallinel

2. Mother - Esmerelda Whitfield (36) - Pippin Pondlilly

~*~

Children

1.) Daisy Whitfield - 8y/o girl - Nurumaiel

2.) Elian Whitfiled - 14y/o boy - Carry along character ONLY; may be used by other players as needed.

~*~

Dragon

1. Smaug – Kransha
Old 07-14-2004, 06:12 PM   #51
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

List Needed Now

ArwenB

You now need to look at all the posts, and place a list of them, by Player's Name (not the character), in the order in which you want them on the game thread.

Put the the list here on the discussion thread and I will then place the posts for you and open the game for play.

Kransha's post is already on the RPG thread as first; your post that features Arinn is second.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arwen, you also need to PM your players to let them all know the game will be opening soon.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-14-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:01 PM   #52
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Pipe Elian Whitfield?

Thanks very much! I'm excited about writing this now.

A little question though, is there a profile for Elian somewhere? I didn't catch one as I was reading through the thread...

If there isn't one, may I request that the lad has blond hair? That way Esmerelda's appearance fits a bit better with it all. I didn't realize that her daughter had brown hair until I read it again. Sorry!

- P. Pondlily
Old 07-15-2004, 12:14 AM   #53
Child of the 7th Age

Pippin,

That looks great! I'm glad you've decided to join.

I will be out-of-town July 16-23. No computer access over the coming weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, July 16-18). After that, I should be fine.

~Child of the 7th Age
Old 07-15-2004, 07:05 AM   #54
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Pippin:
Nay, there is no profile for Elian. He is something we call a carry-along character. No one in particular plays him, but people use him when need be. Sure, he can have blonde hair.

Cami and Everyone:
I will put up the post order by tomorrow morning; I'm a bit busy right now. I'll also put up an outline for the first couple of posts for the game.

Thanks, and have fun!
~Fëa
Old 07-15-2004, 03:44 PM   #55
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I'm going to an out of state summer program for three weeks, but I will have computer access. However, I will need a few days to settle in and will not be able to post this weekend. Looking forward to the game.

- Regin
Old 07-15-2004, 04:08 PM   #56
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Pipe

Well I'll be out of town at my family's lake-cabin July 28th through August 4th (I think). I am not sure if I'll have computer access but I don't see why I wouldn't ... but if I don't that's where I'll be. I'll post again before I leave as a reminder.

Just to let you know,

- P. Pondlily
Old 07-15-2004, 09:00 PM   #57
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
I must also notify you of my upcoming absences...

I will be gone from July 23rd - 26th on a retreat, and it is possible I will also be gone from July 30th to sometime in the first week of August. I regret to say that in both of these absences I will have no internet access.

After that I am, in short, free, save for perhaps a week in late August, but that is farther in the future, and I think I shall have internet access then though not as much time. I am not quite certain if the game will be over by this time or not...
Old 07-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #58
Child of the 7th Age

Arwen and everyone else,

I am thinking that if anyone will be gone for more than 3-4 days without computer access, it would probably be a good idea for them to designate someone to carry along their character just before they leave (with a promise by that person that nothing too drastic will happen!). This could be the game founder, another specific poster, or even our group of posters as a whole.

Since the game is supposed to be just four weeks in length, this might be a wise precaution. Things could move rather quickly, especially in the latter half of the game. (You know how pesky and unpredictable dragons can be!)

How does this sound?

~Child

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-16-2004 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:31 AM   #59
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Cami and Everyone:

That sounds good. Everyone, before you leave, please let someone carry your character.

Alas! I'm being pushed from the computer. I may have 'net access this weekend, but it's iffy. I'll definately have the posting order by Sunday.

Here are the first two points that we will reach in the game, each lasting ONE WEEK:

1. Dragon flies through the sky and attacks Erebor. The family tries to gather all their members so they can flee to the lake. Family members face various obstacles getting home.

2 Dragon turns around and flies towards Dale.
--One of more of the children gets lost or can't get home, and family goes out and retrieves them (with difficulty).

Thanks,
Fëa
Old 07-20-2004, 03:48 PM   #60
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

ArwenB

Please put your list on board for the order of First Posts for this game - by tomorrow.

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator
Old 07-21-2004, 08:26 AM   #61
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye Sorry!

Everyone--

Sorry for such the delay. There was a severe storm on Sunday and we lost power until early this morning.

Order of Posts in Game:

1. Kransha
2. ArwenBaggins
3. Regin Hardhammer
4. Araréiel
5. Child of the 7th Age
6. Fallinel
7. Nurumel
8. Pippin Pondlily
Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 AM   #62
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Eye

The game is now open for play.

Please remove your signatures from all posts to the game - including SAVES.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ArwenB's previous instructions for the next 2 weeks of play:

Here are the first two points that we will reach in the game, each lasting ONE WEEK:

1. Dragon flies through the sky and attacks Erebor. The family tries to gather all their members so they can flee to the lake. Family members face various obstacles getting home.

2 Dragon turns around and flies towards Dale.
--One of more of the children gets lost or can't get home, and family goes out and retrieves them (with difficulty).
Old 07-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #63
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Complying with Child's suggestion to ask someone to carry along my character in my absence, I'll ask my 'parents,' Fallinel and Pippin Pondlily. If you would have the goodness to carry Daisy while I'm away. You've read her profile, I think, so I'm not concerned with you doing anything way out of character for her. If upon my return I do see something that seems out of character for her there's always the edit function.

Again, I'll be leaving this Friday, July 23rd, and I'll be back on the 26th.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:05 PM   #64
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Pipe

Sure thing Nurumaiel, I'd be happy to.

Was going to post on the game thread but mine was the very last ... should I not post or would it still be okay ... not sure, am still new to it all.

- P. Pondlily
Old 07-21-2004, 06:11 PM   #65
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Pippin:

I'm putting in a save, for I need to go now. You can put up a post after mine.

I saw Orlando Bloom today at the shooting of 'Elizabethtown'. I was almost attacked by *cough rabid cough* fangirls, but...

Anyway, off to put up the save- I know, I shouldn't, but I need too.

~Fëa
Old 07-21-2004, 09:03 PM   #66
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Pippin, Daisy has become madly concerned with the safety of her brother and cousin, and she's crazily decided to go after them herself to rescue them. I leave the next step in your hands: catch her right at the doorstep, chase her for a bit and catch her, or let her go off all together. It's up to you!
Old 07-21-2004, 09:35 PM   #67
Child of the 7th Age

Thumbs up Question...

I've completed a post for Elanor and Elian that has them taking a slight detour, and Elanor beginning to worry about Eric.

I did have a question, especially for Arwen and Kransha. I am assuming we can "use" the Dragon to describe what we see happening from a distance as long as it doesn't contradict what Kransha actually does. Kransha presumably is free to latch onto such comments or go and cause other trouble on his own. I am also assuming that we can't describe the Dragon actually attacking us. This is something that our beloved Smaug would have to do on his own under Kransha's bold pen. (Kransha please have mercy! )

Does this sound about right? I do think we need to be able to describe what we're seeing or perhaps, for example, to explain something like a big wooden beam dropping in our path as a farmhouse burns and collapses. Then again, I wouldn't want to tread on his toes too closely. We all know how touchy Dragons are.....!
Old 07-22-2004, 01:15 AM   #68
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Enlarge the Map below if it doesn't come up full size for you.

Scroll the bottom bar across to the right, not quite all the way - there will be, just between the Wood Elves in Mirkwood and the Iron Mountains, Erebor: The Lonely Mountain, Dale, and Esgaroth by the Long Lake.

Map of Middle-earth
Old 07-22-2004, 06:08 AM   #69
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
I did have a question, especially for Arwen and Kransha. I am assuming we can "use" the Dragon to describe what we see happening from a distance as long as it doesn't contradict what Kransha actually does. Kransha presumably is free to latch onto such comments or go and cause other trouble on his own. I am also assuming that we can't describe the Dragon actually attacking us. This is something that our beloved Smaug would have to do on his own under Kransha's bold pen. (Kransha please have mercy! )
Yes, Smaug can be used as a 'device' to move things. Keep in mind that, for the first 7 or 8 days of this game, he'll be heading towards Erebor, the mountain looming mostly over Dale, and will be flying, for the most part, over Dale (and under hill...not). Thus, he'll be spouting a few flames onto Dale, but not outright attacking it. In a weeks time, Smaug will attack Erebor for a bit, all in one post, or a small series of posts, then turn around and attack Dale in earnest, which is when things get really tough.

Feel free to PM me about possible obstacles that Smaug might inadvertantly create. He will make a few individual attacks, like dipping down to grab some tastey morsel (I reckon all this havoc causing makes him hungry). At the finale of all this destruction, he'll pe picking on people just because he's mean sometimes, and in a bad mood after random watchmen have been shooting mislead arrows at him for hours. I will have a post up within the next few days just establishing where Smaug is on his flight around the mountain, and having him engage in some sporting activities with hapless Dale-folk.

BTW, Welcome to the Shire, Pippin Pondilly, Araréiel, and Falliniel. Hope you enjoy this game. And, of course, a hearty greetings to old friends, Nuru, Child, and Regin. Good luck to all of you.

P.S. Child, you usual aptness is further proved by the correctness of that last comment. Touchy indeed, and then some.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 07-22-2004, 11:47 AM   #70
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Eep! It seems that my computer (or the 'Downs itself *gasp*) was having problems last night. My SAVE slot didn't go in.

Alas, I am almost finished with my post, so I'll put the save up now and TRY to fill it in in an hour or so, but if not then by tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Your friendly neighborhood Fëa
Old 07-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #71
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Pipe

Alright I posted on the game thread I hope it's alright I kinda rushed through it just now ... Just tell me if I should change or add anything. I may add more after ArwenB fills in her post.

- P. Pondlily
Old 07-22-2004, 07:08 PM   #72
Child of the 7th Age

White-Hand

Thanks Kransha for those helpful comments. I am assuming that Smaug touched down to get a tasty beef snack in my post! The woman at the farm may have shrieked out of fright, but Elanor was imagining something worse....

I will be out of touch 1-2 days only, travelling from one region to another. Will post when I hit ground.

~Cami
Old 07-22-2004, 08:02 PM   #73
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Filled in my save. Eric is now unquestionably lost in the forest (and very hungry). How dangerous with a dragon on the loose.

- Regin
Old 07-23-2004, 06:37 AM   #74
Fallinel
Pile O'Bones

Fallinel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Fallinel
Tolkien

Hello all-

I didn't disappear-just got busy while waiting for the game to start. I'm looking forward to participating in this RPG with everyone, and I'll add a post later today. I want to make sure I have a chance to read all the posts and storylines carefully.

~Fallinel
Old 07-23-2004, 07:10 AM   #75
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Everyone:

My post is now up. Arinn and Eli are home to find a cowering Willow. If only Arinn could join her! Now, Arinn has stumbled upon the fact that his other two children are gone...

Fallinel-

This is where your post should come in, the reaction to mine.

~Fëa
Old 07-24-2004, 06:38 PM   #76
Child of the 7th Age

I have gone ahead and placed a save for the character of Willow. This is for her to respond briefly to the question that Arinn raised. She can place the post on the discussion thread or submit it by pm, and Pio or I will paste it in.

Arwen is having some trouble getting in contact with Araréiel, but we hope to be hearing from her soon. Meanwhile, the save will let us go forward with the action.

A general comment. Everyone has done a great job with their posts so far. Since this game is just four weeks long, we'll need to post regularly to push things forward. A good beginning, everyone!

I've done another post and gotten Elanor home. I also took a good, hard look at the region in Fonstad's Atlas of Middle Earth. If you have a copy of this book, there is a great view of things on page 110-111. If not, I've tried to give a little description in my post.

The one thing that really struck me is how close Dale was to the mountain itself. Two of the ridges of the mountain reach out and encircle the town on three sides. Not a good place to be at the moment. Also, Dale is on the west side of the Running River that spills down out of the mountain and encircles the town towards the east.

According to most of the sources I read, there is already a town called Esgaroth on Long Lake about twenty miles south. This is where we will eventually flee. However, the sources indicate that the new people from Dale likely "remade" this town when they came by setting it out over the lake and actually building on top of stilts. By doing this, they used the surrounding water as a means of defense.

Maybe we can pick up on this idea at the end of the story....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-24-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:59 AM   #77
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Child-

Thanks for putting up the save. Hopefully we can recover Ara!

And everyone, please try to post as much as you can. We've only got four weeks!

~Fëa
Old 07-25-2004, 05:55 PM   #78
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

I plan on posting late tonight and the once again before I go out of town on Tuesday, the 27th. I'll be gone, camping, for about 9 days, maybe more if the weather's good, with no internet access.

Fallinel, or Nurumaiel, if either of you would not mind taking care of my character and writing for her or carrying along, whatever's done, during my absence, I would much appreciate it.

Just to let you guys know what's about,

- P. Pondlily
Old 07-25-2004, 09:48 PM   #79
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

I'm a little confused at who's where at the moment in the story because Fallinel wrote that Hawkweed ran to Elanor and Elian up where they were in the rocky hills, I think they were, and in Child's post Elanor is getting back to her house and ArwenB wrote earlier that some people were supposed to not get home right away or something of that sort?

I sort of left it at just Esmerelda and Daisy still in their house waiting ... kind of a space filler really, I'll post again or add on to this one as soon as I figure out where everyone is ...

- P. Pondlily
Old 07-26-2004, 12:14 PM   #80
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Hello, everyone! I got back from the retreat late last night and I be able to post a little bit until Thursday (July 29th) when I leave on a camping trip. I'm glad to see how the game has progressed so far, and I want to thank my 'mamma' for handling Daisy in such an excellent manner.

I'll jump in with a Daisy post when I feel it's appropriate.