User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2002, 08:56 PM   #81
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* Birdland blinked upwards, indrawing breath. Flight broken by the elm twig inches above where she crouched, an arrow bounced off the top of her head to thud harmlessly in the moss. Further twigs crackled and bushes rustled with sounds of retreat. "But Peri will know the way back. That pony is probably the most sensible one in the whole party anyway." Likely the bowman had heard Bird speak these words aloud, and was off to repeat his findings that prey was afoot. Meanwhile, late afternoon shadows betokened the sinking of the sun's compass into a twilight that would founder in mist. *

* Midnight, former war steed of Mordor, crept up behind Gandalf. Settling his shaggy neck on the wizard's shoulder the horse craned forward to see what continued to be so interesting about the pit that had stopped their journey for the day. Gandalf rumbled his displeasure. * I've told everyone to stand back, including you, you rapscallion of a horse! Now go and do as I bid, lest you find yourself in deeper trouble than this pit.

* The recalcitrant steed took one step backwards, giving a low neigh and glaring at the wizard's back to see whether the grey-garbed one would himself heed the advice he gave others. *

* Gandalf shrugged ominously, brandishing aloft a curious device that the Hobbits present might've recognized as resembling a firework. Lighting a wick at one end, he hurled the device into the pit even as he turned and dashed away with all speed. Midnight, needing no further coaxing to run, galloped off into the coming twilight and was lost to view. *

* A loud echoing boom rose up from the pit, quickly buried by a gravelly murmur as its sides caved in. The deep spiky drop was now replaced by a wider, shallower depression of loose soil and shivered rocks. *
Old 11-30-2002, 12:57 AM   #82
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Nardol dismounted and led Rustal into the underbrush. Drawing his sword, he approached cautiously a group of shadowy figures gathered in the road. Sliding behind the trunk of an ancient oak tree, he peered out at the strangers. They were gathered about a gaping hole in the road; Men, Elves and several of those foolish half-Men who dwelt near the Dwarf-road just east of Emyn Beriad.

Apparently, they had triggered one of the traps which had appeared in the area. He snorted. Not surprising that Men would be so heavy-footed but the Elves should have known better. Of course, the mere fact that these Elves chose to travel with Men marked them as over-trusting and lacking in caution and sense.

At that moment, a loud report sounded accompanied by a flash. He cringed, then straightened and leapt out into the road with his blade held high to meet whatever foe had caused the explosion...
Old 11-30-2002, 01:06 AM   #83
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

... and found bearing down on him a black horse of the type known to bear Ringwraiths, galloping wildly, heedless of Nardol's sword, heedless that an Elf was about to become utterly trampled if he didn't move, conscious of speed alone to save him from remembered blasts of smoke and fire such as had wasted the lands of Mordor and turned all to rubble under his hooves.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:16 AM   #84
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Without first looking, Nardol (wisely) leapt to his right to evade the onslaught of the maddened steed. He crashed through a ragged shrub and tumbled into a depression filled with brambles. As best he could, he rolled to his feet but his cloak caught on the thorns requiring him to wrench it loose without regard to the damage which the woody spears might do.

Tattered and with his cloak still partially tangled in the underbrush, Nardol stood with sword at ready looking up towards the Greenway.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:37 AM   #85
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Holly felt a prickling at the back of her neck. A sudden feeling of unease had crept over her as she attended to Volondil's wounds once again after they had moved him to shelter. She looked about the camp now being hastily set up and could see no apparent reason for alarm.

Still the feeling grew on her, brought more into focus by the question from Andreth on where Peri had gone off to. She closed her eyes and sorted through her thoughts. The image of Peri and the thought of danger grew steadily clearer in her mind. Bird and he had gone into the woods to gather medicinal plants and were overdue for their return.

She left Volondil to the good care of Bethberry, saying that she was going to look for her two friends. She did not mention her anxious feelings about what might have happened to them, saying only that she would return directly with them.

Going to her pile of belongings, she drew forth her short sword and bow, and secured a few knives in her belt. Putting her grey cloak round her shoulders, she walked quickly toward the trees, fading under their shadows like a small wraith.

Alearindu noted the Hobbit's entrance into the underbrush of the forest, and thinking it odd she should be so armed, followed . . .

[ December 01, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-30-2002, 04:57 AM   #86
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bird froze, staring down at the black-shafted arrow that lay on the ground beside her. How had it missed her? It seemed that time froze as she gazed in terror at the missile, while the bushes around her shook from unseen enemy retreating back into the undergrowth. To where?

"The Greenway. We have to get back and warn everyone!" Birdie scrambled toward the patient Peri, slipping in the mud of the seep and pulling herself up again, ignoring a skinned knee and a rip in her skirt.

Throwing herself onto the pack saddle, she crouched low and said in a hoarse whisper to the pony, "Go Peri! Find Holly. Go!" And the little beast plunged unerringly towards the road.

They had apparently not traveled as far as Birdie thought, having followed a zig-zag path through the forest while searching for the moss. Peri ran in a more-or-less straight path back to the road, but Bird was torn further by the prickly undergrowth, and had to duck fast to avoid a low hanging branch that would have knocked her from her seat.

They were almost there when a muffled explosion was heard from the direction of the Greenway. Peri shied and danced, but Bird clapped her heels and grabbed the reins, urging the pony on. Peri shook her head and started running full tilt. They were a mere few yards away from their goal, when suddenly a cloaked figure holding a sword appeared right in their path. Its attention was drawn by the dark massive figure of Midnight as the black horse ran through the forest. So he didn't see or hear the smaller horse running directly at him from beind.

Before Birdie could do a thing, the little pony plowed right into Nardol, knocking him off his feet and sending him rolling down a bank.

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 11-30-2002, 07:09 AM   #87
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Nardol scrambled back up the bank as quickly as he could. In doing so, his cloak was ripped by the thorns which clutched and caught at him as he climbed. He reached the lip of the depression and stood watching the black horse gallop off into the forest.

He cursed quietly and sucked at a tear on the back of his hand. Suddenly, the air seemed filled with the echoes of the black horse's hooves. Or was it an echo? He had just begun to turn when he was struck heavily from behind. Nardol retained just enough wits to drop his sword and pull his arms in as he was knocked back down into the thorny depression.

Again, he bounced to his feet. A steady flow of invective issued from his mouth as he climbed back up to the road, where he snatched up his sword even as the warhorse which had struck him wheeled. Nardol raised his blade and faced this new foe...and blinked. Here was no warrior. Instead, he stood before a shortish woman with raven hair shot through with a stripe of white, mounted upon a pony. His flow of invective increased and grew louder. He reached to his belt for a throwing knife with which to rid the world of his assailant...
Old 11-30-2002, 07:34 AM   #88
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Peri! Run!" screamed Birdie, and she slid off the pony and gave him a push on his shoulder.

Peri needed no other encouragement. He'd had more than enough, thank you very much, and fled for the safety of Holly, whom he could smell and hear a short distance away.

Bird's own well-developed sense of self-preservation had kicked in as well, and even as her feet touched the ground she was morphing. Before Nardol's glaring eyes there suddenly appeared a 30-foot-tall Ent where a 5-foot woman had stood before.

The Ent shook its branchy head until its leaves rattled and flew. Raising its two massive arm-like branches (or branch-like arms), it strode towards the the startled Elf, as it let forth with a roaring, booming "HOOOOMMMMMM!"

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 11-30-2002, 04:33 PM   #89
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel went over to where Bethberry and Estelarion were. Estelarion still hovered over the injured Volondil. The mishap had apparently affected him more than he let on.

"Sorry to interrupt," he said, sounding none too apologetic, "But it seems that Holly went to find her friends. This is not a safe area. We could use extra eyes."

"Of course this is a dangerous area," she said, getting suddenly sober, "What is nearby?"

"I do not know. I do not know if there is anything. Holly just left to find her companions and Alearindu is gone as well. But, knowing these lands and this time, we cannot be too cautious. The others seemed uneasy before, so I just figured..."

As he said this, he unhooked his bow from where it hung and plucked an arrow from his quiver. Although he did not draw it, Menelduliniel knew that firing would take merely an instant from the position he was in now. She silently envied his talent with a bow. Menelduliniel knew how to fire, but was only even nearly accurate for a very small percent of the time.

"Stay close to me," she told the small Hobbit, "I do not feel danger now, but that does not mean it is out there. I agree with Estelarion that it is a good idea to have extra eyes on the alert. I should not have let my mind wander before. If danger does appraoch, I will need your help."

"My help?" the small figure said from the ground, looking up at the Elf.

"Yes, of course. Any help is still aid. All you need...well...all you can do, really...is keep an eye out at the woods," Menelduliniel said, fairly absently, as she was already scanning the surrounding area for danger. She saw Estelarion doing the same.

"Do not wander too far. Stay near Poppy," he called to Menelduliniel, "We do not want to have all of us separated. The few that have left are enough."

"I know that. I would not leave the Hobbit," Menelduliniel called back, "And are you sure we are not being too cautious?"

"There is no such thing," Estelarion said, simply. He turned his back to her then, sighing and watching the woods.

"Too true," Menelduliniel muttered, "But I still do not like feeling like a fool. She was only going for her companions, after all. She will return shortly. It is not like anyone heard anything. Estelarion is just paranoid."

With that, she relaxed and stood by the Hobbit who sat on the ground.

[ December 01, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 11-30-2002, 10:43 PM   #90
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Alearindu had urged Holly to come with her to aid Bird against her assailant. But, Peri placed himself between Holly and the scene unfolding just a short distance away. He stood stiff legged, leaning against her and would not relent. He repositioned himself as she moved, and try as she might she could not get round him. Holly frowned and tried to coax him from his stance, but the events of this ill-starred journey had spooked him thoroughly, and he meant not to lose her. She sighed and waved Alearindu off, saying she and Peri would stay back until the situation had resolved itself.

She led the pony to a rocky outcropping and climbed up for a better view. Shading her eyes against the sun, she could see Bird had gone defensive. A formidable Ent now towered over some tall, dark haired person. She squinted her eyes for better focus. An Elf! And a hot headed one by all appearances. She sat down on the rocky surface and scratched the pony between the ears. 'Best stay away from that one.' she said to herself. 'Bird can take care of herself well enough without us.'

Holly and Peri made their way round about the simmering crisis to the tent where Volondil lay. Bethberry had him well in hand by the looks of it, and he rested easily now. She accepted gratefully the moss and kingsfoil from Peri's pack and said she would be fine attending to him. Holly need not worry.

The Hobbit thanked her and went to her pile of packs, loading them efficiently onto the pony's back. She led him to a place well away from the commotion and unloading him, set up a simple camp - her bedroll and a small hollow for a cooking fire; a blanket to throw over Peri, his nosebag folded on it. She grabbed up a generous handful of long grass and set to rubbing the pony down. Satisfied, she filled his nosebag with some oats and strapped it on him, leaving him to eat in contentment.

Holly took out her sketchpad and did some quick renderings of Bird and the Elf in quick strokes of reds and blacks. Later she would work one of them into a finished drawing, leaving it in Bird's pack along with the map and pouch of coins. In the morning, she would leave the pack with Bethberry. It would be safe there, and she would see to it that Bird got it.

[ December 01, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-01-2002, 08:52 AM   #91
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

A shape-shifter! Nardol dodged a blow from a mighty fist and backed away holding his sword before him. With a whistle, he summoned Rustal who trotted forward but shied and reared from the Ent. Taking advantage of the distraction, Nardol leaped from the road and dodged into the heavy brush to the north. Seeking out the thickest stands of trees, the Elf dodged through spaces too tight for the Ent to pass through.

Curving back towards the east, he headed back toward the Greenway with the Ent following behind. Nardol whistled again for his horse, hoping to mount Rustal on the run and continue down the road. However, the Elf misjudged the distances involved and emerged into the midst of the group he had seen. Elves, Hobbits and Men reached for their weapons as Nardol placed his back against a tree and prepared to defend himself.

"HOLD!" cried a deep voice...
Old 12-01-2002, 05:30 PM   #92
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

... You bring another blade for our side. We'll soon use it, I suspect.

* Gandalf bowed a greeting and peered out from under his hat at the Elf. The wizard turned with an expansive gesture to indicate the last rays of the sun as being the harbinger of swift and likely battle. Nardol could see that the back of his cloak was covered with ashes, soot, and loose debris newly churned up from the soil. The grey-cloaked one seemed to take no notice of his appearance, however, nor think it the least bit strange. *

Now then, if you bring tidings of an Entwife, I'm keen on hearing it, for its utterance just now was unmistakable. What say you?

* Gandalf motioned with his staff to offer the Elf a seat on a log around a campfire over which Bethberry was brewing lemon balm tea. Volondil lay nearby, still unconscious, and Menelduliniel had carried Poppy to the fireside as well. *

[ December 02, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 12-01-2002, 06:27 PM   #93
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Olo brought his pack to Holly's camp, and plopped it down near hers. Peri whickered softly at him, inviting a scratch on nose or ear, and was rewarded with a thorough rubbing of both. 'So, I see you and your Mistress are leaving us soon.' he said quietly to the pony, half expecting an answer in return. Peri only eyed him, and nudged his still hand.

Holly frowned at the Hobbit. 'Perhaps you'ld better address me, since you are more likely to get an answer than if you spend all day questioning Peri.' She poured some boiling water over tea leaves with sweet herbs and set the pan of it near the fire to let it steep. Then busying herself with the making of a small pot of dried vegetable and mushroom stew, she awaited his question.

He sat his pack down near where she knelt and sat down resting his back against it. 'Well, I'll ask you straight out then. Are you leaving the group?'

She stirred the stew with a wooden spoon and tasting the broth, threw in a pinch of salt. 'I have some business, where the northern most mouth of the Sirannon meets the Mitheithel. I'll leave tomorrow morning before first light, and strike out cross country.'

'Why can't you stay with Gandalf's party until we reach Tharbad, then head up the Hoarwell? Wouldn't that be safer?' He took the cup of fragrant tea from her and sipped the hot brew slowly.

Holly laughed as she took her cup into her hands. 'That's what I had thought when first we set out. But trouble seems to dog this company, and I fear that any more delay would make me late. Already we are delayed at least two days by Volondil's injuries, and now we have Bird and some mad Elf engaged in a stand-off.' She looked up at the pony who seemed to be listening to her words. 'And Peri here has made it clear he wants no more part of it.' The pony stamped his foot emphatically and whinnied. 'It would be best to strike out on our own, as we have always done. And leave this poor, benighted group to draw misfortune away from us.'

Olo took a deep drink of his tea, and looking up, held Holly's gaze with his. 'Well, then,' he said firmly, 'you won't be striking out on your own, if I have anything to say about it.' His cheeks crimsoned as he watched her eyes snap with anger. She opened her mouth to give retort, but he cut her off, arms crossed determinedly across his chest. 'I'm coming with you!'

She looked at him blankly, as if she did not understand his words, then a rumbling chuckle started deep within her until tears came to her eyes and she lay on the ground laughing loudly. Sitting up once again, she looked at him and knew there was no getting round him either. A sigh escaped her, and she shook her head at both the pony and the Hobbit. 'As you wish, Olo.' she said, 'Just make sure you bring your stout cudgel and that you keep up the pace.'

She looked over to where Gandalf was now engaged in some sort of mediation between Ent and Elf. Once he was done, she would tell him of her change in plans.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:57 PM   #94
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Poppy sat quietly by the fire, resting, while Bethberry handed round some refreshing lemon balm tea. However, she sat up a little more when she noticed an elf arrive. He had obviously come from a long battle, as his cloak was dirty and covered in earth.

Not that she could comment on appearances, she thought wryly, looking down at her bare, earth stained feet, and the gash in her short trousers from falling down the hole. She would really need to clean up at some point, but as yet had no opportunity, as Menelduliniel would not allow her to try and stand, much as Poppy was adamant that she was perfectly capable. Menelduliniel had just laughed and commented on stubborn hobbits.

After observing the newcomer’s entrance, Poppy settled down and continued to drink her tea, paying less attention to the goings-on around her. Andreth had finished setting up the lean-to, and Poppy couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed they wouldn’t be moving on as soon as she had hoped, as she commented to Menelduliniel
Old 12-03-2002, 06:01 PM   #95
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel sat back, looking a bit confusedly around, especially at the newcomer. The immensely annoying task of preventing Poppy from standing was complete, and Menelduliniel wanted to know what was going on. Estelarion seemed to know what was happening, but she was not in a position to ask him, as he was keeping himself busy with small tasks setting up camp.

Menelduliniel stayed near the fire to keep an eye on the injured, feeling fairly useless...
Old 12-03-2002, 06:31 PM   #96
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Nardol lowered his sword as Mithrandir approached, yet he did not sheath the blade. The Ent had stepped out from the trees but did not approach, apparently out of deference to the wizard.

"Entwife?" cried Nardol. "That is not of the Onodrim! It is a shape-shifter!"

"Yes, well, indeed," answered Gandalf, looking back to the tall tree-like figure with a hint of disappointment in his eyes. "Yes, it is. And I would not doubt 'it' would prefer to be called a 'she' rather than an 'it'. But come now, sit. Join us. There is no danger from her, is there?" He looked pointedly at the Ent who remained silent.

Nardol sheathed his sword and, with a last glare at the shape-shifter, sat on a log. A moment later, Rustal emerged from the trees and walked over to stand by the Elf. Nardol patted the stallion's flank and turned to the wizard.

"You choose strange companions Mithrandir, as is your wont I am told," he said. "I am Nardol, of late from Imladris though I am most frequently found travelling the northlands."

"Ah. Yes, Nardol of the Noldor," said Gandalf. "I have heard your name in the Blue Mountains. Tell me, how is Elrond?"

Nardol paused to glare at a woman who had been staring at him before answering. Then he continued. "Elrond is well. He sends his greetings. Indeed it is you I seek for I bear an envelope from him. I have travelled some ways to find you and have found these lands to be less friendly than they once were."

He rose and opened one of Rustal's saddlebags, removing a sealed envelope from it. He handed the packet to Gandalf and seated himself again on the log. Nardol pointedly ignored the curious gaze of the wizard's companions as he stared into the fire...
Old 12-03-2002, 06:37 PM   #97
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

With the assistance of others, Andreth had managed to complete the construction of both the lean-to and the sledge. It was then that she'd heard the strange sounds of impending battle, noises that she did not understand. Soon thereafter, Gandalf had come back, leading an Elf and and an Ent towards the campfire, both of whom had mysteriously materialized out of nowhere.

Strangely enough, it was the figure of the Elf that compelled her absolute attention. She stood rooted in one spot, unable to move, her eyes rivetted to his face.

There were other Elves along on this quest, and Andreth hadn't even had the courage to come up to one and introduce herself. But those Elves did not look quite as this one did. She felt as if she'd caught a glimpse of an ancient and majestic being, perhaps one of the firstcomers whose experiences lay far beyond her ken. Even from across the campfire, she could sense the sorrow and remembrance that came flooding out from his mind.

As one whose livelihood depended on the creation of tapestries and other fine textiles, she had learnt much of the ancient tales of Beleriand and Numenor. Time and again, she had sat beside the fireplace in her humble home, with her deft fingers pulling the warp and weft, creating bittersweet images drawn directly from ages and places long consigned to dust and yearning.

Andreth's tongue was not gifted, but she had eyes to see what others overlooked. Gazing at this Elf, she felt as if she had passed through a portal of time, and now found herself looking upon one whose true place lay in a distant, golden age. And because that age had sadly passed, he seemed singularly out-of-place, ripped loose from the fabric of time.

A strange part of Andreth's brain whispered to her. This Elf should be in Elvenhome, but he has not the heart to go there. And then an even stranger idea popped into her head. This is how Adela felt when she first looked upon the Elf Maladil. Not seeing him with love but as a kinsman and a friend, whose doom was so very different than her own.

Andreth had no desire whatsover to repeat Adela's mistake. And, in her own mind, it was a mistake. A mistake of cosmic proportions that had reverberated even to her own day. But, to somehow win the trust and friendship of this being, so different than herself, as her namesake Andreth had won the respect of Finrod, that would be a very great thing indeed.

On the very first day of the journey, Gandalf had called her an 'Elf-friend.' She had not understood that, and thought it might be some lighthearted compliment that could safely be ignored. Bethberry had told her quite otherwise, sternly asserting that Gandalf did not say such things without reason. Perhaps the reason was here. Perhaps, she was meant to be a friend and somehow help this Elf on his way.

The Elf was in deep discourse with Gandalf, sitting on a log near the fire. Then, without warning, he turned for one instant towards Andreth. He took in her flame red hair, her pretty but common mortal face with its green eyes and freckles.

Andreth saw Nardol scowl to the depths of his being. He whose hroa and fea were tied to Arda seemed to look upon this Child of Man with intense disdain. It was clear to Andreth that this Elf had little friendliness for those whom the ancient tales commonly called 'guests'.

She said nothing, but pulled out a small tapestry block, and began feverishly working at it.

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-03-2002, 11:54 PM   #98
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Oh, Manwe take you all and throw you in the Void!"

Bird morphed back into woman form and stamped over to the cozy group around the campfire. "What are you doing? I rode like Eorl to get back here and warn you! There's danger out in the woods. Bandits, or worse, and I was shot at! Shot! With an arrow!"

"And you!" She whirled around and pointed a finger at the darkly-scowling Elf sitting by Gandalf. "YOU jumped out at me, and hacked at me with a sword. You could have killed me with that thing. And now you just sit there sipping tea? Get up! All of you! This is no time to be sipping tea!"

Birdie threw out her arms and slapped them against her legs in frustration. "By the stars! If this is how Elves and Wizards react to danger, it's no wonder The Dark Lord is still sculking about in Mordor. I suppose if HE showed up, you'd serve him tea as well. You!" She pointed her finger at the young woman working on her needlework and casting furtive glances at the disreputable-looking newcomer. "Put down that tapestry block and come and help me. Has anyone even checked on Volondil since I've been gone? Useless, the whole bunch of you. Olo, fetch me that moss out of Peri's saddlebag."

Bird finally stopped her frantic chattering long enough to look around the fire. "Wait a minute. Where's Peri? Where's Holly?"
Old 12-04-2002, 01:00 AM   #99
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth quickly got to her feet and glared back at the woman who stood there accusing her of laziness or even worse. Sharp anger rose in her. She'd had enough of being picked on and laughed at back home in Bree, and she wasn't about to take any of that here.

"For your information, I have spent the past three hours constructing a lean-to shelter and a sledge for the comfort of Volondil. Holly and Bethberry were attending to the Ranger as my own skills do not run in that direction. I don't know where Holly has gone to, but that is hardly my fault!"

"Moreover," and here Andreth stared accusingly at the figure in front of her, "I do not recall seeing you on the road. I neither know what you are or who you are, for your behavior is very strange indeed. For all I know, you may be a brigand yourself. You were certainly not with our company when we left the Inn."

"And I will indeed be happy to assist you with Volondil if you but ask in a civil way."

With that, she stomped over in the direction of the patient with a wet rag clenched between her fingers, muttering grimly to herself.

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-04-2002, 01:42 AM   #100
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Gandalf could not help it. Hearty laughter burst forth at Birdland’s description of himself serving a convivial cup of tea to Sauron. His hilarity was not meant to disparage Birdland in any way, but was simply piqued by the fantastical impossibility of it all. Gandalf happened to look over at Poppy and was relieved to see the Hobbit gently smiling at the humor. But then, just when the wizard had composed himself, Andreth had to go and call the shape-shifter a, a … brigand, of all things! The memory of Birdland’s infamous shell game and the eleven silver pieces was impossible to ignore, it having just transpired two days ago. *

* … But fortunately, neither could he ignore that she’d then bested him in a riddle-game and settled the whole matter both expertly and honorably. Before fresh gales of laughter dared explode, Gandalf ground the palm of his hand into the top of his staff until it hurt. But it was a private glance to the wizard from Bethberry at once sobering and filled with soft understanding that was the curative enabling him to fully regain appropriate equilibrium. *

Well then Andreth, I suppose I’m a brigand too. For not only do I consent to be in her company, but moreover, I am glad of it. * The wizard’s tone was calmly good-natured. *

* As Andreth took up a post by Volondil, Bethberry strode over to Bird and handed her a familiar-looking pack. The pack bulged just slightly, clinking with the sound of coins, crinkling with the sound of papers rubbing against each other and resting against coarse cloth. * Yours, I think. Holly couldn't wait. Kind Peri delivered moss and kingsfoil that I've put to use tending Volondil. As for the Ranger, his chances for healing ever grow, if he be guarded from infection and foe. Holly left with Peri and Olo. They bid us fare well for now, for they upon another path must go. Eirian has left as well.

* With a soft tug at his beard, Gandalf frowned at the loss of Holly and Olo. He turned to look at Poppy again, then gazed at her Elvish caretaker with thoughtful regard. * So we're down to one Hobbit to serve as castle scout. Don't you lose this one, Menelduliniel!

* Gandalf ran a finger over the sealing wax on the back of the envelope that Nardol had given him. So much conflicting business to tend to all at once. Master Elrond’s letter to Galadriel must be urgent indeed, for a rider to be sent with such haste from Rivendell with a new letter to replace the one that had been destroyed. But the arrow aimed at Bird clove his hopes for reading the letter as he wished. No time … *

* The falling night was pierced by defiant braying neighs from Midnight. Too close, for the war steed's cries were accompanied by croaked commands whose words could just be made out on the wind by those of keen hearing: * Whoa! Halt in the name of Mordor! That’s where yer from, from the looks of yer, yer brute! * Soon the voice was cut short. Another voice taking up a battle cry fell silent as well. *

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 12-04-2002, 05:06 PM   #101
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Poppy finally settled back down on the ground, finally accepting that she would not be allowed to stand, however much she protested. She had seen Menelduliniel’s face start to look a little tenser as Poppy continued her protests, and Gandalf had glanced at her, clearly telling her to be a more peaceful patient.

She observed a strange woman, Bird, appear. A few of the others appeared to know her, but to Poppy she was a stranger, an angry stranger at that. Poppy couldn’t help but suppress a slight giggle as the woman continued to talk, obviously not best pleased. Poppy’s face returned to seriousness as the woman looked around, seemingly a little worried.

Poppy wondered at the mention of the arrow. Was a battle brewing? She sincerely hoped not, for they were still only near the beginning of their journey, and hardly in a position to fight.

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: *Varda* ]
Old 12-05-2002, 12:43 AM   #102
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Suddenly, two missile weapons come clattering through the dusky trees, both to fall harmlessly into camp. One, an arrow, takes a bad bounce and breaks, caught at an odd angle between rock and ground. The other, a spear, twangs into a tree and remains hanging there horizontally. The Elves in the group have no trouble making out four shapes that could be either Orc or Half-Orc. There's no sign of the black horse, causing you to wonder whether there might be more than four assailants closing in on you from the woods. *
Old 12-05-2002, 02:06 AM   #103
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

As the arrows started to enter the camp, and the harsh battle-scream of the war horse echoed through the forest, Bird ran to the lean-to and threw herself across the body of Volondil, trying to protect the unconcious Ranger from the missles flying out of the trees. Andreth also sought out the flimsy shelter of the lean-to she had help build, never dreaming it would serve as her only protection between her and an attack by Orcs!

The skinchanger looked around frantically as the entire camp responded to the attack. But there were two missing from the scene, and Birdie called out frantically: "Holly! Olo! Where are you? Oh, how could they have left the safety of the caravan, and at a time like this? Whatever possessed that fool-of-a-Stoor to set out on her own? Holl-eeee! O-loooooh!"

And out in the woods, the harsh calls of the Orcs were again drowned out by the angry scream of the black horse, Midnight.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:54 PM   #104
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The two hobbits and the pony had not gone far from camp when misfortune once again caught them in its net. They had just come to a dense copse of tall shrubs to the northwest of where their group had stopped, when they heard a commotion behind them, and the frantic voice of Bird calling out both their names.

They withdrew into the tangle of shrubs and hidden, looked back from where they’d come. They could see nothing. But, harsh cries and garbled speech filled the air amid the sounds of bodies crashing through the underbrush. Peri’s head snapped up, ears forward as Midnight’s scream rent the air.

Leaving their packs well hidden in the dense shrubbery, they proceeded back along the small trail they had made. Olo gripped his cudgel firmly and followed behind Peri. In the lead was Holly. She had loosed the strap on her blade and knocked an arrow as she slipped quickly back towards camp . . .

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-05-2002, 05:20 PM   #105
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

"Yrch," spat Nardol. He stood and took up his bow, nocking an arrow and holding it at ready. A whistle and a few quick words sent Rustal along the road towards the west. The stallion leaped over the pit and disappeared into the trees south of the path.

Nardol shrugged his cloak back from his shoulders, exposing the hilts of his blades at his waist. As the Orcs approached the fire, he let fly an arrow at at the foremost of the creatures...
Old 12-05-2002, 06:28 PM   #106
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel took in a breath and stood up quickly, drawing her daggers. She saw Eselarion come running, notching an arrow to his bow.

"What is it?" she said.

"Did you not hear? Can you not see?" Estelarion said, "Orcs."

Menelduliniel shot a look at Poppy.

"I am staying with her," she said, "I was told to keep my eye on her, and I plan to."

"You will have to move," Estelarion said, "They will come. You cannot fight by yourself."

"I promised Gandalf and, well, he trusts me," she said, "No one else does."

Estelarion looked around and sighed.

"Okay, fine. I will stay with you."

The two stood over the poor, defenseless Poppy.

"If we get hurt, promise to find safety," Menelduliniel said over her shoulder to the Hobbit.

"Erm...o-okay," Poppy said.

Estelarion shot the Orcs as they approached, and Menelduliniel stood ready with her daggers...

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 12-05-2002, 07:04 PM   #107
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth's body was shaking ever so slightly as she turned around to catch Bird's eye.

"Are you staying with Volondil?" She gestured towards the black-haired woman. "Do you have a dagger or something in case....?" Andreth didn't finish her sentence. There was no need. Both of them understood exactly what could happen if things didn't work out.

Bird fixed an eye on the red-haired girl and whispered, "I do indeed have something." She did not elaborate what that something might be.

Andreth fumbled on the ground for her bow and quiver. "I'll just go outside the shelter and see if I can help." She selected an arrow and pushed the tarp aside, turning her head at the last instant to say in a hushed voice, "Hey, I'm sorry about before. I've just heard too much from too many not to say something back."

Then she quickly slipped out, nocked an arrow against the bowstring, and with heart pounding fiercely, took careful aim at one of the Orcs over to the side who'd just pushed his way into their encampment.

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-05-2002, 07:09 PM   #108
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was obvious to Aislan that this company was having bad luck. She heard grunts and growls from what she thought were orcs. She heard neighs and angry shrieks in the distance from the horse Midnight, until the horse's cries of defense suddenly stopped. Stray arrows whirled through the air, and Aislan whinced as she saw a spear lodge itself in a tree nearby.

Bird rushed to protect the Ranger Volondil, Andreth close behind. Everything was in motion. Nearby, she heard the newcomer call the word Yrch. Menelduliniel and Estelarion argued about protecting Poppy.

Being left-handed, Aislan drew her sword and handled her dagger with her right hand. She stood, ready for what was coming. Her thoughts were everywhere as she heard the voices of the company, the whistles of stray missiles form the enemy, and random grunts and neighs from the horses and ponies. She wondered if she was the only one who was nevous.

With her sharp ears she knew that it was more than two orcs. She thought it might be five or six, but she couldn't be positive. She stood ready with weapons in hand. An arrow flew to her left, and saw it was Estelarion's. Her smile was grim as she heard a shriek of agony from an oncoming orc. Everyone awaited the oncoming orcs as they came hustling through the brush.

Arrows flew from the bows of Nardol, Estelarion, and Andreth. Aislan risked a shot, raising her dagger and throwing it, watching it spin through the air. It hit something, and a loud shriek pierced the air. Aislan waited for the onslaught of the orcs with her sword ready.

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 12-05-2002, 09:19 PM   #109
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hinura had sat quietly by, drinking in the tableau before the attack came. Now she snatched up as many of the pine boughs as she could carry and ran in a crouch towards the where fallen Ranger and the strange little woman were.
"Here," she said breathlessly spreading the boughs over the injured parties. "If you're not moving them, they may as well not be made specific targets." Btinig her lip to keep it from quivering, Hinura glanced at Menelduliniel, who was ready with daggers for the onslaught. Trying to show more courage than she felt, she drew her dagger from her belt with a shaking hand and held it ready, rising from her crouch.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:52 PM   #110
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Bethberry sang as quietly as fair willow leaves of silver-green. Her barely audible words brought to each hearer's mind and heart a soft-glowing light, like the best memories of golden summer. A protective calm rippled out to encircle those closest to the daughter of Tom and Goldberry: Volondil, Poppy, Bird, Menelduliniel, Estelarion, Andreth, Hinura. Birdie, who'd been shouting out for Holly and Olo, found herself relaxed and quieted by the song, though oddly enough the relaxation led to a heightened, serene alertness rather than drowsiness. The rest of the group within the circle of Bethberry's song experienced a similar phenomenon. *

* Estelarion's arrow sank deep into the left side of an oncoming Orc, causing the Orc's thrown spear to only catch in Andreth's clothing. The Orc bellowed in pain but remained standing. Meanwhile, Andreth's arrow found its mark in a nearby Half-Orc who had tripped over a tree root while aiming a spear at Bethberry. The spear went whistling harmlessly by the River Daughter's daughter. But while Andreth's arrow drew blood, the Half-Orc smiled grimly, for its leather armor had taken the brunt. *

* Menelduliniel stood waiting at the ready with her daggers just a little too patiently. Before she could act, an arrow knicked her arm, opening a wound. *

* Nardol's arrow sailed clean and true into a Half-Orc, an inch above its heart. It stumbled around gasping in pain. *

* Aislan's dagger found its mark in an Orc, but only did minor damage, as the Orc's strong voice uttering curses evinced. Meanwhile, this Orc hit Estelarion in the gut with a stone, knocking the wind out of the Elf. *

* An arrow whizzed past Hinura's ear as the Half-Orc who'd aimed it stumbled into a tree on being hit by a lightning bolt from Gandalf. *

* The company now counted three Orcs and three Half-Orcs battling against them in camp. Two more enemies could be heard running towards them through the trees. *

* Meanwhile, Holly, Peri, and Olo were just now coming back into camp, within sight of the above scene. *

* And somewhere in the darkness, Midnight stood alone, trembling mildly in confusion. His assailants had left after he'd tossed two of them into clumps of bushes. When he'd belonged to the Ringwraith, the black horse had often just grazed when his master dismounted to do battle or other fell deeds. But this grey-cloaked, bearded one with the tall pointed hat ... Midnight felt drawn to help him. Only, the war steed feared and wondered at the smoke and fire and exploding earth caused by the wizard. *

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 12-06-2002, 12:47 AM   #111
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Nardol drew a second arrow from his quiver and, aiming deliberately, loosed it at the throat of the Orc assailing Estelarion. But then the melee drew too close.

The Elf dropped his bow and swept out his sword as an Orc closed with him. Leaping to the side, the Elf swung his blade at the creature. But even as he did so, Nardol whistled sharply and to the west, as if in answer, the sound of beating hooves could be heard.

Rustal again lifted lightly over the pit and came among the Orcs assailing the camp. Rearing, he struck out with his fore-hooves at a wounded Orc...
Old 12-06-2002, 03:06 AM   #112
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth glared in horror at the Half-Orc who grinned wildly back at her. Although a small pool of blood dripped down from his wound onto the ground, he appeared as vigorous and hearty as before. She carefully calculated where he stood and cocked an arrow, then drew back and let it fly, hoping it would hit its target.

She scrambled back towards the lean-to where Bird and Volondil lay. It was partially disguised by the pine boughs that Hinura had brought just a few moments before. She wondered whether she should get inside with them. For, unlike the others fighting near her, Andreth had no sword, and her dagger seemed like a pitiful thing when measured against those of the Orcs. Moreover, she had no wish to engage in hand-to-hand combat with a Half-Orc who stood a full head taller and a great deal stronger than herself.

She decided that it would be foolish to stand there without securing a weapon that would be sturdy enough to provide a defense should her arrows fail. Andreth fell to her knees and groped for the hatchet that she'd used to hack the tree branches down for the lean-to and sledge such a short time ago. Her fingers tightened around its shaft. She grabbed it tightly in her right hand, devoutly wishing that she'd have no further need of it.

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-06-2002, 03:21 AM   #113
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The two Hobbits had almost reached the perimeter of the encampment, when Holly heard the approach of running feet coming close behind them. She left Peri to draw the attention of those who came and motioned for Olo to step off the into the shrubbery on the side of the small track opposite her.

Peri trotted down the track toward the camp, as two half Orcs came running toward him, swords raised. Holly, crouched down by a large tree's roots, stood up as the first half orc passed and fired an arrow into its neck. It stumbled and the second creature came at her, only to be downed by Olo's cudgel to the rear of its head.

Holly drew her sword, and severed the neck of one half Orc while Olo crushed the skull of the other.

They ran down the path, catching up to Peri, then advanced within the perimeter of the camp itself and took quick stock of the melee . . .
Old 12-06-2002, 09:34 PM   #114
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Her dagger did nearly nothing. Before Aislan jumped out of Nardol's way, she pulled her dagger from the orc's left arm. She backed away, helping Estelarion up, who seemingly had regained his breath.

In the distance she heard a slight cry of fear from a steed. She thought it would be Midnight, and she went in search of the stallion, if only to comfort it out of it's fear. Aislan wandered almost aimlessly, until she heard another whinny to her right. She followed the sound until she found the great jet-black horse.

Aislan calmly, soundly and slowly placed a hand on the horse's forehead, so as not to get him defensive. He was trembling a little, in awe, confusion, and fear. Midnight let Aislan touch him, and let her comfort him.

"It's all fine now, everyone will be alright. You did well, Midnight. I'm not sure if it is good you kept your assailants away, because now they have reeked havoc on our camp. I'm sure we will get by though." Aislan felt the horse stop shivering, but he grunted and breathed heavily.

She waited a while for him to swallow his fear. She was amazed the war-horse was even frightened, or even allowing a stranger near. Aislan was also waiting for the fight to die down, to maybe save Midnight a little trouble. She also feared for the company, though.

She slowly led the steed through the bushes and trees, wondering what sort of damage she would find done to the camp.

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 12-07-2002, 01:11 AM   #115
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Nardol's arrow sang through the air and bit into the neck of the Orc who'd attacked Estelarion, but not deeply enough to slow him down completely ... just yet. The Orc, seeing at the last moment yet another danger, hurled a stone at Gandalf. Gandalf had just been about to send fire upon that very Orc, until the stone hit his right hand holding his staff upraised. The wizard cried out, fumbled the staff and bent to retrieve it with his left hand. *

* Meanwhile, Nardol's sword missed the Orc closing in to fight at close quarters with a scimitar. The scimitar likewise swung wide, missing its mark. Nearby, Nardol's valiant steed Rustal dealt a death-blow to the Half-Orc who'd been staggering around with Nardol's earlier arrow in his chest. *

* Andreth's second arrow flew as if charmed into her opponent's stomach. Suddenly, the Half-Orc stopped his grinning and leering. Trying to run, he pitched forward and fell, then tried crawling away. *

* Aislan sighed. Midnight decided that once he was close enough to see the fire that meant camp was near, he preferred to stubbornly nibble choice blades of grass while battle raged around him. At least Aislan could see that the horse had recovered from his earlier fear. But now the horse only flicked his ears at her if she tried to coax him to move. *

* Four Orcs remained standing, though one was badly wounded. *

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 12-07-2002, 02:09 AM   #116
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly and Olo skirted the perimeter of the camp at a run, followed by Peri. They were making for the shelter where Volondil lay. They came at it from the rear, and as they broke through the underbrush behind it, they were met by the steely-eyed young woman, Andreth, axe raised in readiness to defend herself and Volondil.

Holly stepped back from her, keeping her eyes on Andreth’s face. ‘It’s Holly, Ms. Andreth.’ she said slowly and calmly to the battle tense creature before her. Her cloak parted as she raised her hands in a non-threatening gesture, and her vest became visible. She could see the recognition come back into the woman’s eyes, and the arm which held the axe, dropped slowly to her side. ‘Holly . . .?’ she said, sighing in relief at a familiar face.

At that moment, from beneath the layer of pine boughs, came a rustling and then a voice as Bird sat up and fixed the returned Hobbit with her beady eye. ‘Where in Blue Blazes have you been, you fool of a Stoor! Running off with some sweet faced Hobbit just when old Bird needs you!’

An arrow whizzed by the Hobbit’s head, and stuck itself harmlessly in the back of the lean-to. ‘Stay down!’ she yelled at Bird. And dropping to a crouched position as she turned, nocked an arrow, and let it fly.

Holly gasped, wishing she could will the arrow back to her bow. She had mistaken the peevish Elf for a half-Orc, and shot him in the right leg . . .

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-07-2002, 09:23 AM   #117
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Aislan looked at the stationary horse. He stood there, doing absolutely nothing but nibbling and eating the leaves and other foliage.

"We can't stay here forever, Midnight." Aislan tried to coax him one more time to move, but the only response she recieved was flicking ears and narrowing eyes.

"Alright, fine then! Watch out for arrows." Aislan was rather annoyed with the steed. Aislan knew the battle wasn't over as one or two arrows flew through the trees and brush that separated them from the camp.

She wondered if she could leave Midnight alone and not have to worry about him getting himself into trouble. She knew that she had to help the company. The horse could take care of himself.

Drawing her sword and dagger, Aislan carefully walked through the brush and treeline. She came into the camp and right in front of her was an Orc, though he was staggering and bleeding. She was behind the disgusting creature, and its back was to her.

Aislan took her chance and raised her dagger again, this time with her left hand. She had to make this one fall. She held the dagger steady and followed the swaying Orc. She brought the dagger down into his neck, avoiding the protective leather. Aislan withdrew the dagger and let the Orc fall, she was pretty sure he was dead.

Aislan took a look at how many of their assailants were left, and counted three still standing.

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 12-07-2002, 04:40 PM   #118
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel grasped her arm. She quickly retreated out of the action to inspect her arm. She whined in pain as she did so.

Estelarion noted her diappearance and her injury, but, upon seeing that she lived, went on fighting. She could be tended to later. Maybe she would also be in a better mood...

Menelduliniel sat next to Poppy, ripping some of her own cloak and wrapping her arm tightly to stop the bleeding...
Old 12-07-2002, 11:00 PM   #119
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth's jaw dropped open in disbelief. How could Holly possibly mistake an Elf for an Orc, even a half-Orc? But then she remembered how, just a minute before, she'd looked into Holly's face, yet never really seen her. If Holly hadn't said something to bring her to her senses, she might have raised her hatchet and brought it down on the hobbit's head. Thank goodness that hadn't happened.

Strangely enough, no one stepped forward to help Nardol. Holly and Bird seemed frozen into place. Perhaps they feared his wrath, since he was indeed cursing loudly, and glaring in the direction of the lean-to.

Keeping a wary eye on the remaining three Orcs, she quickly ran over to Nardol, and asked if he needed help. The Elf was sitting on a log and trying to dislodge the offending missile that, thankfully, did not seem to be too deeply embedded. He looked at her with a stern face and quickly asked, "Daughter of Man, did you shoot this arrow?"

"Not I," stammered the girl, "but never mind about that. Come here with me so we can get that tended."

Andreth attempted to drag the Elf over to the shelter of the lean-to so that Holly or Bird could help him, since they seemed to know more about healing skills than she did.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:00 AM   #120
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Three Orcs standing, and a Half-Orc crawling away. Only one Orc was thus far unscathed. So, they decided to make a run for it. "He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day." *

* The Orc with the scimitar smiled as the Elf in front of him was hit in the leg by an arrow and retreated to a rock to try and pull it out. Morhâk the Looter ran up beside his two standing companions, who were also scurrying back towards the cover of the woods. * Look! * Shagdug Darkspear cried, * A woman's run out to help the Elf. Maybe they're not so tough after all. And she'd do for our purposes. They wanted another one, they said at the Castle.

* Gandalf eyed the dark antlike cluster of Orcs. In an instant he sent a small fireball into their midst. Amid yelps and yammerings, the three singed and burnt Orcs broke into a run again. The wizard shouted after them. * Now begone with you for good, or you'll get more of the same!

* Finally, they were gone. The battle had ended. *

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]