The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Hobbit hair

PJ made it curly, wavy and long, Ted Nasmith along with other artists made it very short and curly. I completely prefer PJ's way, but what do you believe Tolkien intended? I remember reading once in The Letters that he cites Sam's hair as short...he might even mention "short" in the narrative of LotR. Do you think he meant "short" in relation to the time period? Most Men in M-e had long hair, most likely shoulder length or longer. Perhaps he meant "short" as PJ made it---shorter than Men's, shorter in relation to the times.

Opinions?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Come on, I know some people don't care about the minor details (ex: Legolas' hair color) but I do! I want some opinions.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe Only their hairdressers know ...

Well, according to the chapter The Grey Havens, the year 1420 in the Shire was a marvellous year wherein many hobbit bairns were born with "rich golden hair that had before been rare among hobbits."

We know that Sam put a grain of Galadriel's special dust when he planted new trees after the Scouring of the Shire, but how Galadriel's hair colour got mixed in with hobbit genes is not, I think, explained. Nor does the text exactly say that this hair colour derives from Galadriel, although it is easy to make a connection given how significant her hair is.

It's a mystery.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I always wonder if a party of virile, hopelessly drunk Rohirrim passed through the Shire in 1419-20...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Ang would you please not post stuff like that, so close to my bed time ?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

"I always wonder if a party of virile, hopelessly drunk Rohirrim passed through the Shire in 1419-20"

good one.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Short neat hair is a serious negative in fantasy. Most men wish they had long, flowing locks but they are generally dissuaded in 'the real world' because they're less likely to get a job, or whatever. Adventure books harbour not only dreams of dragons and diamonds, you know!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am very partial to the Hobbit hair in the movies, and as I am not sure exactly what Tolkien intended I prefer to picture it that way.

However, as Tolkien I believe patterned the Hobbits after late 19th century bucolic Englishmen, I think whatever length of hair was prevalent amongst that lot can be ascribed to Tolkien's mental imagery. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read about Tolkien's inspiration for Hobbit culture, I assume it was the letters which I only read a library copy of a long while ago.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

Does this topic include the hair on hairy Hobbit feet?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If so, then I feel compelled to comment that I thought PJ's hobbit feet weren't hairy enough and looked rather more ugly than woolly.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Actually, now that you mention that...

I had always imagined the hair being on the bottom of the feet (as extra protection, you know... some parts of the feet just don't really callous!), but PJ put it on the tops - thoughts?
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Actually, when I first clicked on the thread I thought it was hobbit feet that were to be discussed.

I always imagined hobbit feet to be just as Tolkien described:
Quote:
...their feet had tough leathery soles and were clad in a thick curling hair, much like the hair of their heads, which was commonly brown.
So while I can't see hair on the bottom of their feet, I can see it absolutely covered on top except for perhaps the toes. And as for the hair on their heads, I also think the movie did the hobbits justice- thick, long, and untamed. I can't really imagine hobbits spending a long time grooming their hair when they can spend that precious time doing other things, such as eating.