The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2003, 07:38 AM   #81
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Yeah I don't see how Isildur could write the account AND fight at the same time. Very strange...
Old 03-26-2003, 08:44 AM   #82
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm sorry, I don't get this one. It's not like he was taking dictation. He could have remembered what was on the Ring. It's not like it's long and he's a pretty bright guy. Also, being of high Numenorean blood and one of the faithful, he would know the language, which is based upon the High Elven language.<P>Even if he forgot what was on the Ring, he knows that fire brings out the script (as is stated in the movie) so he can bring it up anytime he wants.<P>Strike another one from the list.<P>H.C.<p>[ March 26, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 04-16-2003, 12:49 AM   #83
Lucinda
Animated Skeleton

Lucinda has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Picked up hugging from the rangers!? umm, sorry good idea, maybe youre right, but rangers always struck me as reserved, not a group of people who meet up to have parties!. Just a personal opinion though
Old 04-18-2003, 02:21 AM   #84
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

C'mon guys! 10 times! I've seen it 24 times! But do you think after Sauron was destroyed his orcs weren't? Or if they weren't (that's possible) to you think they'd have the courage to fight? They didn't have the courage to fight when he simply turns his mind to other things for a second (see the latter end of RotK), much less after he was destroyed! There are many errors in this movie, but that I don't think qualifies as one of them! A real error is like this one: When the fellowship spots the Crowbine on Cahadaras, Borimir states that they are moveing fast, AGAINST THE WIND! That would be blowing straight out in front of the fellowship, right? Of course right ( )! But in the next scene, Legolas' hair is clearly blowing behind his head, and not forwards (across his face), pretty quick change in the wind, don't you think?
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 02:26 AM   #85
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Another error example: When the company is rowing up to the Argonath (statues of the Kings of Gondor on there way to Amon Hen), the Kings are both extending their LEFT arms,<BR>in tokens of warning. Yet after they pass the imposing statues, and the camera swings back to the Argonath (this time from behind), you can clearly see that the statue on the left now had his RIGHT arm extended! Those computer-generated images are sure nasty things to keep track of, aren't they?
Old 04-18-2003, 02:32 AM   #86
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

To HCIsland: Actually, the Black Speech was not know well among even the Numenorians, but if you've already seen my post above, it'd show you how he remembered. Also, in the words of Isildur, 'the writing was now past behind all recounting, although, if this thing were set back into the flame, perhaps it would yet yield its secret' (or something like that!); but Isildur would never have put the Ring into the fire, he would 'risk no hurt to the Ring'. Gandalf also mentioned that one has to have great strength of will to set it in the flames even for a little while, something Isidur proved he did not have when he took the Ring for himself.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:40 AM   #87
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

To LePitieChoux: Gandalf was apparently striving in thought, trying to avoid the Balrog. Once they fled, it sensed their terror. You'd be suprised how far you can run when your life is on the line! But Aragorn was a Ranger, which means he's always in tip-top shape, the same probably went for Borimir (the shape part),the hobbits had lost many pounds, I'm sure, but notice they are staggering across the Brige of Kazad-dum, except Legolas of course. I agree with you that Mithril doesn't protect you that much, in the book he was, 'deeply bruised & found it painful to breathe or talk'. In the movie he jumped right up, and ran to the bridge (Aragorn carried him quite a ways in the books).
Old 04-18-2003, 02:44 AM   #88
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I didn't know that Viggo actually had to bat that down! They shold've coputer-g'd that, it could've been dangerous! He nearly died in the TTT scene of him floating down the river (knocked-out), he should let the stuntmen do their job. It wouldn't have looked good to have to cast a different Aragorn for RotK! (I'm makeing up for not being here earlier with all these entries)
Old 04-18-2003, 02:50 AM   #89
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

As HCIsland said, the website: nitpickers.com, prides it self on having seen more than 100 errors (or 200, i fogot), but I'd say at least half of them are actually not errors, or are neccessary to be in the movie. For instance: When Gandalf throws the ring and its envelope into the fire, nitpickers points out that, although they did a good job of ageing the envelope & makeing it look Middle Earthish, the envelope clearly burns along the glued edges!<BR>GASP! Do you really think they are going to create a whole new envelope, when normal people are satisfied with the aged look? It's 'errors' like that that comprimise about half of their list!
Old 04-18-2003, 02:58 AM   #90
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Sorry Euralasto, in the books it says that, the blade grows bright when orcs are near (they say it in the movie to), there is no accounting for it, simply a mistake on computer-generating. Have you guys noticed the terrible acting job done by the orcs? The last orc that Borimir kills (in the non-extended version at least) begins to fall backwards before Borimir comes close to hitting him! Also, Lurtz (chief uruk-hai) falls way before Aragorn tackels him for the first time! They need to take acting lessons from the hobbits (watch farmer maggots fields).
Old 04-18-2003, 03:01 AM   #91
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Oh! My bad! I don't know about Sting in Osgiliath, but I do know that when the company is surrounded by the Moria-orcs in...well Moria, Frodo's sword fails to glow, even with a few thousand orc faces a few feet away! That was what the comment above was meant for. My bad. But the book said that Sting glowed brightly when orcs were near, and then it dimmed as they fell farther behind. Still, as long as Sting was glowing, you'd be able to tell! <p>[ April 21, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 04-18-2003, 03:26 AM   #92
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

There are 3 different kinds of cave trolls, the moria cave troll was not the kind that could get turned into stone. Actually the witch-king is holding a long sword in his right hand, and calling for the ring with his left. When Frodo pulls the ring back, you see the witch-king with a dagger in his right hand, nothing in his left hand, and no long word in sight! I believe Legolas was actually rideing on bundels or robes, but still, you have a point, that isn't bareback (as the book states)! Borimir's roving hand happened like this: The cast filmed Aragorn's lines (with just Viggo staring at the ground) before lunch, then went off to get lunch. After they returned, they did Borimir's lines (with Aragorn). Borimir did his lines with his hand on Aragorn's shoulder, but since he wasn't there to have his hand on hi shoulder during Viggo's lines, they screwed up. When they switched the scences in, that created Borimir's 'roving hand'.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:57 AM   #93
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

They didn't have time to show what they did in the mean while, obviously that would've put a major constraint on time. Yes, Gimli's axe 'clubbings' are kind've lame. He rolls heads for a living, he doesn't kill people by giving them terrible internal bruises! before the extended movie corrected it, you could see the dim face of a black rider, or his chin, most prominatly in the Inn at Bree, and in Bree, and at the River near Rivendell (I forgot what it's called). Yes, at Caharadas you can see Frodo's 'skin stocking', it is clearly an odd color. Again, there are 3 kinds of trolls, the 2 that open the gate are most likely one of the 2 kinds that are not turned into stone by the sun. Gimli is a dwarf. Dwarves don't have the greatest eyesight. Also, a dwarf will talk about his people and their works for ever, and never notice a thing that takes place around him, why then should he notice skeletons in a dimly-lit entryway, while he's bragging and blathering on to Legolas? The extended version does, as you said clear up the Frodo/Sam boat seats 'mix up' (which was also listed as an error by nitpickers, BEFORE the extended version came out), but Jackson just expected his audience to guess there'd be stops along the way, and they might switch places during some of those stops. Aragorn kicking the helmet was good, his little scream of anger was frighteningly bad acting (though obviously not an error)! The whole start of the Helms Deep battle was messed up, not just Legolas losing hope and blowing up....Wew! Please pay attention to the hand roving thing and the troll bit, even if you do disregard everything else (this is in response to some unanswered questions from the 1st page, I finally got around to reading these mistakes and 'mistakes'). I don't have a problem with talking about errors in the movie, I just find it pathetic that people like the guys on nitpickers were LOOKING for errors all through the first time they saw the movie! I shudder to think what errors they've found (or think they've found) in TTT. <p>[ April 21, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 04-18-2003, 04:30 AM   #94
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but did anyone else notice that the Black Rider's horses aren't always black? It sets me off laughing every time.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote