The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Pipe Quotable Quotes header

There have been several new threads in the Quotable Quotes forum, which have been closed down because they
a)serve no clear purpose-are just random quotes
b) are the same as other threads.

I'd like to suggest changing the header of the forum to something more informative, as currently it just says that is you have a quote you'd like to pose the room, you can just start a new thread and get on with it. This may be considered rather contradictory to the main rules, which require searching for a thread like the one you plan to start, and then giving it a clear purpose- i.e. not just random quotes, as the whole forum is dedicated to that.
Yes, I know that the model newbie reads all the rules first, but I would guess that the header gets read a lot more, so maybe changing it to something less liberal would remind people entering the forum every time not to do anything stupid.
I know this isn't a hugely important matter, but I thought I'd bring it up. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I've been meaning to suggest this to The Saucepan Man, actually. But then again, I never remember to do things.

I think we need a list of rules right at the top of the thread. Just the Quiz Room Rules slightly modified, I would think.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 06:57 AM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Thanks for raising this LePetitChoux. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Actually, it's not really a problem. Random and duplicate threads are very infrequent in Quotable Quotes - I can remember only 2 or 3 since becoming moderator of the room.

But, you are right. The invitation to start a thread with a quote doesn't sit well with the rules for starting new topics. The same might be said of the header to the Quiz Room. Unfortunately, my powers, impressive though they are ( [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ), do not extend to editing the site itself, so I will suggest some alternative wording to the Barrow-Wight.

I have been keeping under review whether or not a Quotes Room rules "sticky thread" is necessary. I actually don't think it would make much difference, since most people seem to assume (correctly) that the Quiz Room rules apply. Then again, there's no real reason not to have rules at the top of the Quotes forum, other than that I don't know how to make a "sticky thread" [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . So, once I have remedied that gap in my education, I will have a look at putting something up.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 09:05 AM   #4
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I futzed with the wording a bit to make it more consistent with the modern-day Downs.

Creating one of our jury-rigged sticky threads requires admin intervention. If you want to put up a rules thread, Sauce, just post it, close it, then contact me or the Wight and one of us will work the magic for you.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 06:32 PM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Thanks for that, Mister U. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

There has been some recent confusion over the time to wait before asking a new question, so I will be posting a Rules thread.