The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2003, 07:52 PM   #1
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien Middle-earth for Dummies

Oy. Yes. Has anyone seen the latest offering in the "...for Dummies" series? That's right.

I was in a bookstore and took some time to browse through it, reading the comics (only marginally funny) and skimming the contents and a few bits.

I read the entire "Sex and Gender" (or lack thereof) chapter, and judging from that, I found the author (Greg Harvey) to be taking a very simple, opinionated approach to Tolkien's themes. In fact, he makes some blatantly wrong statements such as the "fact" that Éowyn is the only female in all of Tolkien's works to break away from the expected role of a female in medieval culture/literature. (No mention of Haleth.) Although he did not accuse Tolkien of being sexist, there was a definite tone of "wasn't he old fashioned and unoriginal when it comes to females". I have seen much more referencing to Tolkien and depth of contemplation on any Barrow Downs thread.

This isn't surprising, of course, as the book and series touts itself as a simple approach in "plain English". I have a feeling the Tolkien Estate had nothing to do with this latest "guide". It seems entirely unecessary and gratuitous considering what's already out there.

On the other hand, I also saw a very interesting looking collection of stories called "Tales Before Tolkien" which are purportedly stories and such that Tolkien read and in some cases cited as inspiration for his writing. I have not had time to look deeper into that one to see where they get their basis (though flipping through I noted "Puss-Cat-Mew" which was cited in the Letters") or how much they may have "imagined" the connections up. I plan to get a library copy as soon as I can.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:04 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Middle-earth for Dummies... That is really a strikingly bad idea.

It is truly sad what low regard booksellers and the American media in general hold their customers in. There are already plenty of insightful books into the world of JRR Tolkien, as well as, of course, Tolkien's books themselves. Do we the Tolkien purists really have to sit here and watch as Tolkien's world is turned into an unintelligent, packaged, lower-tier multimedia empire?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:37 PM   #3
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

That's scary, but I can see the demand for such a product. I've never read one of those "dummy" books. Something about the title is rather insulting. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2003, 11:40 PM   #4
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hey, I was right! Beleriand is somewhere in Scandinavia! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 12:00 AM   #5
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Yes, it's always a bit frustrating to see Tolkien being patronized by writers who couldn't lace his shoes. Grrr...

This actually amuses me a lot because about six months ago my sister (she's 15) wanted to write a proposal for a "Middle-Earth for Dummies" book [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. This must be very new, because when she did a search she couldn't find that one was in print then. And if this guy doesn't even know about Haleth, I'm betting my sister might just have done a little better, at least on some chapters.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:20 PM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Middle-Earth for Dummies

I thought Peter Jackson already did that?? Zing!! Heh-heh...

Clearly a case of Cashing In. It's rife these days. Sad but predictable, especially given the propensity of your average Rings fan (myself included) to accumulate things Tolkien. I restrict myself either to books or gag items (such as a Gimli school book LOL!) but I'm no less guilty than people who flock to the shops for cheap crap such as the Horse and Rider figures.

Worst thing of all is, I don't think the Middle-Earth for Dummies book looks all that bad! Yes, I'm mental, but I would be happy to add that to my bookshelf, half in jest of course.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Tell you what, why don't we all get together and write our own Middle-earth guide book, that way, we won't have to put up with half-baked books by half-baked authors?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:43 AM   #8
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Quote:
Beleriand is somewhere in Scandinavia!
And I live somewhere North of the Ash Mountains [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Here's the link, doug, in case you want to order [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] :ME for Dummies
D'oh. I just noticed Diamond's already provided the link in the first post...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:00 AM December 17, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]
Old 12-19-2003, 01:03 PM   #9
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I thought Peter Jackson already did that?? Zing!!
*laughing 'til I cry over that one*

I can understand why a 'Middle Earth For Dummies' book would be successful. There are a whole bunch of people who had never heard of Tolkien before who fell in love with the movies and ran right out to get their hands on the books. But I'll admit that Middle Earth can be kind of confusing from time to time, especially if it's your first time through. It's true that there are already a lot of good ME guide books, but then it also makes sense that the "For Dummies" people would want to cash in. And I have read one of those books (I think it was about "Psychology For Dummies") and I will admit, they made it pretty entertaining. It's just sad to hear that the book encourages wrong or poorly-thought-out descriptions of Tolkien's work. Some people will probably take it as entirely gospel - "well if this book says Éowyn is the only female character to break with traditional roles, it must be true" - and never stop to question it for themselves. I guess that's their problem but - sigh - it kind of short-changes both JRRT and the readers themselves.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:42 PM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I believe that the people who are asinine enough to take what they read in Middle-earth for Dummies as gospel deserve what they get.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:26 PM   #11
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Middle-Earth for Dummies

I thought Peter Jackson already did that??

Doug, as you can well imagine, you took the words out of my mouth. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote